PDA

View Full Version : Like a D6?

GeekGirl
2011-05-04, 02:28 PM
Lol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54VJWHL2K3I), so much better than the real version. I didn't see this posted yet, so i though i would share with everyone ^_^

Lord Seth
2011-05-04, 02:58 PM
Bleh, the usage of Auto-Tune is even worse than the original song. Made it annoying to listen to. And honestly, "Like a G6" is so unappealing in tone that any parody suffers from major problems. I thought this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3pFD-xdPRE) parody was funny, but again the inherent weaknesses of "Like a G6" brought it down; it featured less Auto-Tune abuse, at least.

Also, obligatory Todd in the Shadows review link (http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/tis/tpsr/28573-ep-13-qlike-a-g6q).

GeekGirl
2011-05-04, 03:05 PM
I do have to agree with the over use of autotuning in a lot of music. but the song and video still made me laugh

eyeofsaulot
2011-05-04, 03:14 PM
People actually play 4e?

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-04, 03:26 PM
If only girls like that actually played D&D. :smallsigh::smallsigh:

Joran
2011-05-04, 03:27 PM

They do. You just don't know any of them.

P.S. Sorry if that came off as hostile. There are pretty geeky girls, but for whatever reason, they often have to defend their geekiness against attacks. Just because they're pretty somehow means their geekiness is not authentic.

Oh and swerving back on track, I liked the song, but Like a G6 was such a painful song and the girl's voice was auto-tuned all to heck.

Weezer
2011-05-04, 03:47 PM
Good concept but the autotune was even worse than is normally seen for this kind of parody. Pretty much unlistenable for me

GeekGirl
2011-05-04, 03:47 PM

I feel like I should have something to say to this, but nothing comes to mind :D

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-05-04, 03:52 PM
I feel like I should have something to say to this, but nothing comes to mind :D
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urNyg1ftMIU) would be rather apropos. :smallbiggrin:

GeekGirl
2011-05-04, 04:02 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urNyg1ftMIU) would be rather apropos. :smallbiggrin:

Good call :smallcool:

onthetown
2011-05-04, 04:38 PM

I'm a girl, so... I guess that means I'm not pretty "like that". :smallfrown:

I thought guy gamers were more educated than this, these days? Lol.

SDF
2011-05-04, 05:51 PM
Like that? Specifically good looking from a Western beauty standard? D&D is not the bus. I'm not saying if you ride the bus you are ugly, but if you are ugly you ride the bus.

Moff Chumley
2011-05-04, 06:33 PM
We have reasonably attractive, by any objective standard, females in our group.

People actually play 4e?

Reporting. *salute*

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-04, 08:30 PM
Sorry if I offended anyone. My comment was supposed to be a joke about the "stereotypical D&D player."

Still, I've never met any D&D-playing girls who could make money modeling.

eyeofsaulot
2011-05-04, 09:50 PM
Reporting. *salute*

At ease, cadet.

Icewalker
2011-05-05, 01:20 AM
Heehee, all the women I know who are gamers are quite attractive actually. I'm a fan of this fact. :smallbiggrin:

Ashtar
2011-05-05, 06:54 AM
This is much better than the original G6. I'd not heard of G6 and had to look it up. Yeah, D6 is superior in soooo many ways.

As to cute D&D playing girls, half my French speaking D&D group were girls, and all of them were very attractive, cultured and intelligent. So according to my (very official) stats, 100% of female gamers rock! ;)

DeadManSleeping
2011-05-05, 06:58 AM
Man, I'm not a fan of the song, but that costuming and video production was just so stellar. I wish I could make costumes even close to that good. Seriously, people who get paid to do that stuff generally don't do nearly that well.

chaosgirl
2011-05-05, 07:17 AM

If only 4th didn't suck... :smallsigh:

Tyndmyr
2011-05-05, 10:46 AM
They do. You just don't know any of them.

P.S. Sorry if that came off as hostile. There are pretty geeky girls, but for whatever reason, they often have to defend their geekiness against attacks. Just because they're pretty somehow means their geekiness is not authentic.

Honestly, as a dude, I've been in the minority gender in an 11 person game. It happens.

But I also appreciate that traditional geek culture consists of a dorky looking dude with glasses alone in his parent's basements, and joke accordingly. There's just lots of material there, frankly.

KnightDisciple
2011-05-05, 08:28 PM
I love this video/song. It's hilarious and awesome.

...Can't say I've gamed with many girls, though.

Moff Chumley
2011-05-05, 10:24 PM
Honestly, as a dude, I've been in the minority gender in an 11 person game. It happens.

But I also appreciate that traditional geek culture consists of a dorky looking dude with glasses alone in his parent's basements, and joke accordingly. There's just lots of material there, frankly.

It's a fact. The greatest D&D satire song remains that one by Stephen Lynch... ya'll know which one I'm talking about (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyxnEKTjhj0\). :smallamused:

NSFW, by the way.

KnightDisciple
2011-05-06, 09:50 AM
It's a fact. The greatest D&D satire song remains that one by Stephen Lynch... ya'll know which one I'm talking about (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyxnEKTjhj0\). :smallamused:

NSFW, by the way.
Meh. It was mildly amusing, but I prefer "Roll a d6", "Geek and Gamer Girls", "Game On", and basically any songs that don't amount to "lol nerd losers". I prefer celebrating my love of gaming. :smallwink:

Blisstake
2011-05-06, 09:53 AM
It's been said before, but...

Ugh, auto-tune :smallsigh:

Moff Chumley
2011-05-07, 01:25 AM
Meh. It was mildly amusing, but I prefer "Roll a d6", "Geek and Gamer Girls", "Game On", and basically any songs that don't amount to "lol nerd losers". I prefer celebrating my love of gaming. :smallwink:

The original version (the last verse was different) was a little more loving in tone. But even the linked version has a bit of the "affectionate parody" sort of vibe to it. YMMV, I guess.

grimbold
2011-05-08, 06:32 AM
I have a friend who called this the pinnacle of human creativity :)

Triscuitable
2011-05-10, 09:26 PM
People actually play 4e?

I play what my friends call 3.75, which is basically "Take 4e books, tear out all the pages in said books, and shove in aD&D 3.5e pages inside the covers, cross out all references to 4e on the covers." Voila, your books are now covered in cool art. (I actually took the pages out of my books, and put them on blank covers, which I completely redrew the 3.5 players guide cover in the style of OOTS. Using Inkscape, of course.)

Dr.Epic
2011-05-10, 09:30 PM

Annoying girls who think they're funny?:smallconfused:

As for the video, I'm the type of the guy who loves Weird Al's White and Nerdy and Geek and Gamer Girls so you really have to try hard to not make be love a parody song about D&D. I didn't like it.

Coidzor
2011-05-10, 10:54 PM
I'm guessing I'm rather lucky I've never heard of the song this is playing off of. :smallconfused:

ZombyWoof
2011-05-10, 11:03 PM
Annoying girls who think they're funny?:smallconfused:

As for the video, I'm the type of the guy who loves Weird Al's White and Nerdy and Geek and Gamer Girls so you really have to try hard to not make be love a parody song about D&D. I didn't like it.
+1

I'm guessing I'm rather lucky I've never heard of the song this is playing off of. :smallconfused:
I actually like the song if just for when they all go "Heal yeah" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvgJEznqtms)

Also I really like the beat.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-10, 11:03 PM

Neither have I, but I still doubt I'd like the song parody either way.

Brewdude
2011-05-10, 11:55 PM
Well, if we're linking songs celebrating geeks, we can't leave out the mack daddy song of them all.

White and Nerdy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw)

JonestheSpy
2011-05-25, 03:35 PM
Finally saw this and loved it, though it went on just a tad too long.

totally confirmation of gamer geekitude: even though I know they were parodying 'Like a G6', I was ever so slightly disappointed the weren't coming up with rhymes for 'Like a D20'.

Necro_EX
2011-05-25, 03:53 PM
It would have been more fitting if they were playing Shadowrun, I suppose.
Then again, it would be real weird to roll only 1d6 in that game at any point in time.

I'm not a fan of this myself. I hated the original song, and just can't find this funny.

There was one I had seen a while back, but I can't think of the name of it. I remember the video was stop-motion with legos.

JonestheSpy
2011-05-27, 04:19 PM
Watched this a few more times and my admiration only grew. I thought they did a great job with the production values for what is obviously a low-budget homemade video. I like the fact that they took a catchy tune from an otherwise horrible, stupid inane song and repurposed it into something far superior.

But most of all, I dig that the video is a complete reversal from the typical self-deprecating style of 'White and Nerdy' or that Stephen Lynch song. Yeah, I know there's others like the 'Game On' song, but I like this one better. I'm a gamer - Hell Yeah!

Plus, the dancing goblins. Love the dancing goblins.

Giggling Ghast
2011-05-27, 06:03 PM
I've watched this video a few times right now. I agree with JonestheSpy; it kind of grows on you. At first, it's merely amusing, but then you start to see how well-done it actually is.

Pretty cool video, all in all.

WitchSlayer
2011-05-27, 11:09 PM
Why is the 4e wizard using a bow?

For that matter, why does the DM have a DMPC?