PDA

View Full Version : Books = Spoilers?

martianmister
2011-05-04, 05:11 PM
Does we really needed to spoilered the knowlegde come from the prequel books? What is your thoughts about this matter?

Dr.Epic
2011-05-04, 05:12 PM
Does we really needed to spoilered the knowlegde come from the prequel books? What is your thoughts about this matter?

Yes. It ruins the experience of reading it for yourself.

fizzybobnewt
2011-05-04, 05:12 PM
It's as necessary as it is to spoiler anything else.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-04, 05:15 PM
It's as necessary as it is to spoiler anything else.

Yeah, how would you like it if someone told you Snape killed Samus with the common cold who was a girl and Luke's father and it was just the name of the sled and/or a cook book?

FujinAkari
2011-05-04, 05:21 PM
ummmm... of course?

Anything which is not available to read by all should not be assumed to have been read by all.

Legend
2011-05-04, 05:23 PM
Just seems like common courtesy.

Yana
2011-05-04, 05:29 PM
Not all of us have the disposable income, or indeed the means to purchase these books. Posting about events that occured in Origins of the PCs or Start of Darkness that are not common knowledge in the fanbase is frowned upon.

Conuly
2011-05-04, 05:37 PM
Why wouldn't you? It's easy enough to do so, and it's only polite to people who haven't read them yet.

SPoD
2011-05-04, 06:44 PM
It's also been specifically requested by Rich that we do so, to avoid ruining the reading experience for people who might want to buy them.

Jay R
2011-05-04, 07:06 PM

I have bought one of them. I will buy the others when the budget allows. Please don't spoil it for me.

Zevox
2011-05-04, 11:19 PM
Um, of course. How is that even a question? That's kind of the entire point of spoilers - to prevent someone who hasn't read something that isn't widely-known, available-to-all information from accidentally learning something they want to learn on their own. Doesn't apply to the online strips because they're available for everyone to read free, does to the books because not everyone has access to them.

Zevox

factotum
2011-05-05, 01:54 AM
I'm with the others on this--not everyone has read those books, and some of the people who haven't may want to at some point in the future; therefore it's simple courtesy to spoiler anything from them.

ThePhantasm
2011-05-05, 02:29 AM
This is probably the one most serious reason in the OOTS forum to spoiler anything. Why wouldn't we spoiler it?

Ancalagon
2011-05-05, 04:51 AM

SoD? Hell yes!

It's a freaking awesome book and tells things that are crucial for the characters involved and that is not told (explicitly) in the online-comic.

martianmister
2011-05-05, 06:14 AM
But online strip is already spoilering SOD with references about Redcloak's past. This strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0701.html) is kinda pointles without the knowlegde from SOD...

ThePhantasm
2011-05-05, 06:24 AM
But online strip is already spoilering SOD with references about Redcloak's past. This strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0701.html) is kinda pointles without the knowlegde from SOD...

So Rich should just pretend SoD isn't in continuity because some people haven't read it? Its the comic. Rich can hint at whatever he wants in the comic.

I can tell you that no one who hasn't read SoD will fully realize the importance of that scene, and that's ok. . . it will make them want to read SoD. Stuff in the original Star Wars trilogy hinted at stuff that would later be revealed in the prequel trilogy. That's the fun of prequels, they explain cool stuff.

It won't make readers want to have it all explained by some forumgoer who can't be bothered to take 5 seconds to put up spoiler tags so that people can make the decision for themselves as to whether they want to be spoilered or not.

Plus, as already mentioned, its the rules. Plus, this thread shouldn't even be in this forum. It should be in forum issues / questions.

Phishfood
2011-05-05, 06:25 AM

I couldn't disagree more. OK, so calling him "left-eye" etc is a reference to SoD and all, but it stands up on its own. Him looking in the mirror and psyching himself up references SoD but stands up on its own. Also, I too appreciate a good pull every now and again.

<edit>

SoD tells us exactly why Redcloak is called that, but the basic premise still stands on its own. We all figured he wasn't born called Redcloak surely.

Kish
2011-05-05, 06:28 AM
But online strip is already spoilering SOD with references about Redcloak's past.

You're using the word "spoiler" wrong. "A story reveals information which was mentioned in a prequel to that story"=/="someone on a message board spoils the plot of the prequel."

Why are you arguing for not having to avoid spoilering people?

factotum
2011-05-05, 07:03 AM
Because it takes so much less effort to not have to select a bunch of text and click the button marked "spoil"? :smallwink:

Seriously, I don't know why this is even an issue. If people want to read the SoD and OtOoPCs spoilers, there's nothing stopping them doing so; and as I mentioned above, the extra effort involved in creating a spoiler post is negligible. There isn't any pressing argument to the contrary, as far as I can see, so might as well keep the spoilers.

Red XIV
2011-05-06, 02:04 AM
SoD tells us exactly why Redcloak is called that, but the basic premise still stands on its own. We all figured he wasn't born called Redcloak surely.
You never know. Some goblinoids got worse names (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0703.html).

martianmister
2011-05-07, 05:00 PM
It isn't really hard for me to
make this.

I just find it kind of funny.

ThePhantasm
2011-05-07, 05:24 PM
I just find it kind of funny.

What is funny about it? It is just good etiquette.

Asarlai
2011-05-07, 06:04 PM
I read the spoilers before I read the books :smallfrown:

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-08, 11:31 AM
I read the spoilers before I read the books :smallfrown:

Anyone who clicks on the spoiler does so with the full knowledge that something may get spoiled.

That's kind of the point of having them.