PDA

View Full Version : Any way for cleric to cast an arcane spell?

shadmere
2011-05-04, 05:29 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have the magic or spell domains, and I don't have UMD. So I might be out of luck. :smalltongue:

I need to craft a weapon and some armor, but don't have the 300-400 days it would require for me to actually do the crafting. Fabricate would make everything spiffy, but I can't think of how I could cast it.

It's for the Bone Knight prestige class, so I think that I have to be the one doing the crafting. Otherwise I'd just pay a wizard to cast it for me.

Alternately, any divine spells that act similarly to Fabricate would work, as well.

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Edit: Sorry, forgot some key information. I'm level 13, and my domains are Planning and Rune. (It had to do with back story and such.)

JaronK
2011-05-04, 05:30 PM
Fabricate is in some domains... Artifice domain, I think?

JaronK

shadmere
2011-05-04, 05:32 PM
D'oh! Forgot to put some information about my actual character. I don't have that domain. :smallredface:

gooddragon1
2011-05-04, 05:37 PM
EDIT: I failed to read part of the intro post

Single use, use activated item (no-umd required)

2250 gp.

Have a wizard make that for you or something. Then use it to make the item.

erikun
2011-05-04, 05:45 PM
You can have a wizard cast it for you. Or have anyone with a good craft skill make it, for that matter. It sounds like the time issue is due to you having a low craft skill, as opposed to, say, building an entire castle from scratch by yourself.

shadmere
2011-05-04, 05:52 PM
EDIT: I failed to read part of the intro post

Single use, use activated item (no-umd required)

2250 gp.

Have a wizard make that for you or something. Then use it to make the item.

What item? Is there a rule for just "single use, use activated item?" Where's the rule, so I can show it to my DM? :smallsmile:

You can have a wizard cast it for you. Or have anyone with a good craft skill make it, for that matter. It sounds like the time issue is due to you having a low craft skill, as opposed to, say, building an entire castle from scratch by yourself.

The way the items are worded, it seems like I have to make it myself. And a adamantine sword has a DC of 15. If I roll a 20 every week, it takes 50 weeks to complete the sword. If I rolled a 30 every week, it would take 34 weeks. Crafting takes a ridiculously long time, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Kantolin
2011-05-04, 06:01 PM
There's domain staves, which could concievably help if you have large amounts of cash on hand.

There is also a spell in the complete champion that lets you swap one domain for another for 24 hours. I don't recall the specifics, but that may help.

gooddragon1
2011-05-04, 06:28 PM
What item? Is there a rule for just "single use, use activated item?" Where's the rule, so I can show it to my DM? :smallsmile:

The way the items are worded, it seems like I have to make it myself. And a adamantine sword has a DC of 15. If I roll a 20 every week, it takes 50 weeks to complete the sword. If I rolled a 30 every week, it would take 34 weeks. Crafting takes a ridiculously long time, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Craft Wondrous Item [Item Creation]
Prerequisite

Caster level 3rd.
Benefit

You can create any wondrous item whose prerequisites you meet. Enchanting a wondrous item takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its price. To enchant a wondrous item, you must spend 1/25 of the item’s price in XP and use up raw materials costing half of this price.

You can also mend a broken wondrous item if it is one that you could make. Doing so costs half the XP, half the raw materials, and half the time it would take to craft that item in the first place.

Some wondrous items incur extra costs in material components or XP, as noted in their descriptions. These costs are in addition to those derived from the item’s base price. You must pay such a cost to create an item or to mend a broken one.

Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values

1. A 0-level spell is half the value of a 1st-level spell for determining price.
2. Such as a luck, insight, sacred, or profane bonus.
3. If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half.
4. See Body Slot Affinities.
5. An item that does not take up one of the spaces on a body costs double.
6. If item is continuous or unlimited, not charged, determine cost as if it had 100 charges. If it has some daily limit, determine as if it had 50 charges.

Effect Base Price Example
Ability bonus (enhancement) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp Gloves of Dexterity +2
Armor bonus (enhancement) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp +1 chainmail
Bonus spell Spell level1 squared × 1,000 gp Pearl of power
AC bonus (deflection) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp Ring of protection +3
AC bonus (other)2 Bonus squared × 2,500 gp Ioun stone, dusty rose prism
Natural armor bonus (enhancement) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp Amulet of natural armor +1
Save bonus (resistance) Bonus squared × 1,000 gp Cloak of resistance +5
Save bonus (other)2 Bonus squared × 2,000 gp Stone of good luck
Skill bonus (competence) Bonus squared × 100 gp Cloak of elvenkind
Spell resistance 10,000 gp per point over SR 12; SR 13 minimum Mantle of spell resistance
Weapon bonus (enhancement) Bonus squared × 2,000 gp +1 longsword
Spell Effect Base Price Example
Single use, spell completion Spell level1 × caster level × 25 gp Scroll of haste
Single use, use-activated Spell level1 × caster level × 50 gp Potion of cure light wounds
50 charges, spell trigger Spell level1 × caster level × 750 gp Wand of fireball
Command word Spell level1 × caster level × 1,800 gp Cape of the mountebank
Use-activated or continuous Spell level1 × caster level × 2,000 gp3 Lantern of revealing
Special Base Price Adjustment Example
Charges per day Divide by (5 divided by charges per day) Boots of teleportation
Uncustomary space limitation4 Multiply entire cost by 1.5 Helm of teleportation
No space limitation5 Multiply entire cost by 2 Ioun stone
Multiple different abilities Multiply lower item cost by 1.5 Helm of brilliance
Charged (50 charges) ½ unlimited use base price Ring of the ram
Component Extra Cost Example
Armor, shield, or weapon Add cost of masterwork item +1 composite longbow
Spell has material component cost Add directly into price of item per charge6 Wand of stoneskin
Spell has XP cost Add 5 gp per 1 XP per charge6 Ring of three wishes

Single use, use-activated Spell level1 × caster level × 50 gp Potion of cure light wounds

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

Custom made item. If you want, pay a caster to make it for you.

EDIT:

Use-Activated

This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. A character has to drink a potion, swing a sword, interpose a shield to deflect a blow in combat, look through a lens, sprinkle dust, wear a ring, or don a hat. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory.

Many use-activated items are objects that a character wears. Continually functioning items are practically always items that one wears. A few must simply be in the character’s possession (on his person). However, some items made for wearing must still be activated. Although this activation sometimes requires a command word, usually it means mentally willing the activation to happen. The description of an item states whether a command word is needed in such a case.

Unless stated otherwise, activating a use-activated magic item is either a standard action or not an action at all and does not provoke attacks of opportunity, unless the use involves performing an action that provokes an attack of opportunity in itself. If the use of the item takes time before a magical effect occurs, then use activation is a standard action. If the item’s activation is subsumed in its use and takes no extra time use activation is not an action at all.

Use activation doesn’t mean that if you use an item, you automatically know what it can do. You must know (or at least guess) what the item can do and then use the item in order to activate it, unless the benefit of the item comes automatically, such from drinking a potion or swinging a sword.

Ernir
2011-05-04, 06:30 PM
A domain draught (Magic Item Compendium) can get you one of the domains that offers Fabricate for less money than a domain staff. Curmudgeon's list (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html) should help you find an applicable domain.

What item? Is there a rule for just "single use, use activated item?" Where's the rule, so I can show it to my DM?

Guidelines, not rules. See creating magic items. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

shadmere
2011-05-04, 06:35 PM
Wow, thanks. I didn't realize you could have items created like that.

I'll try to avoid the DM-hammer and never ask for a Wish potion. :smalltongue:

gooddragon1
2011-05-04, 06:39 PM
Wow, thanks. I didn't realize you could have items created like that.

I'll try to avoid the DM-hammer and never ask for a Wish potion. :smalltongue:

Oh that's not a problem. Asking for a gauntlet of true striking will cause your DM to smack you with a metal gauntlet IRL engraved with the words "true strike". Also, potions max at 3rd level spells I think. You want a tablet that you can snap of wish (or bracelet you wear and use like a ring of 3 wishes).

Jack_Simth
2011-05-04, 06:44 PM

Let's see...

You basically just need to get a really good Craft check, and you have no ranks, right?

You can boost your check (a lot!) with the Divine Insight spell (Spell compendium).

If you're high enough level, Miracle can duplicate Fabricate... and if you're not that high, you can *probably* make use of a scroll of Miracle... just don't get one that includes the extra 5,000 xp for a "powerful request", and it's even relatively inexpensive.

shadmere
2011-05-04, 06:56 PM
Let's see...

You basically just need to get a really good Craft check, and you have no ranks, right?

You can boost your check (a lot!) with the Divine Insight spell (Spell compendium).

If you're high enough level, Miracle can duplicate Fabricate... and if you're not that high, you can *probably* make use of a scroll of Miracle... just don't get one that includes the extra 5,000 xp for a "powerful request", and it's even relatively inexpensive.

With masterwork tools, I have a 10 in the craft skills I want. Add 20 from Divine Insight and 10 from Wieldskill, then assume I take 10 for my craft check. That's a craft check of 50. That's still 20 weeks of crafting. :smallconfused: What the heck, D&D.

The Miracle scroll is a good idea, if he won't let me get a single use item. :smallsmile:

Veyr
2011-05-04, 06:58 PM
Mundane crafting in 3.5 takes an absurdly long time. Dirt-cheap, though.

Jack_Simth
2011-05-04, 07:14 PM
With masterwork tools, I have a 10 in the craft skills I want. Add 20 from Divine Insight and 10 from Wieldskill, then assume I take 10 for my craft check. That's a craft check of 50. That's still 20 weeks of crafting. :smallconfused: What the heck, D&D.

The Miracle scroll is a good idea, if he won't let me get a single use item. :smallsmile:
Are you including the voluntary +10 DC increase in that calculation?

Remember, the progress is based on skill check * difficulty class; voluntarily increasing the DC by 10, if you can make it, does wonders to the timeframe.

Besides: Complex items do take absurd lengths of time when you're doing things by hand. Look up the time it takes for actual handcrafted chainmail, sometime.

shadmere
2011-05-04, 07:24 PM
Are you including the voluntary +10 DC increase in that calculation?

Remember, the progress is based on skill check * difficulty class; voluntarily increasing the DC by 10, if you can make it, does wonders to the timeframe.

Besides: Complex items do take absurd lengths of time when you're doing things by hand. Look up the time it takes for actual handcrafted chainmail, sometime.
D'oh!

Still 12 weeks, and I have two items to craft, sadly. More manageable, but not manageable enough. Haha.

Oh and ya, I know that doing these things IRL would be extremely time consuming. I'm not complaining that it's not realistic, I'm complaining that it's annoying. :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2011-05-04, 07:27 PM
D'oh!

Still 12 weeks, and I have two items to craft, sadly. More manageable, but not manageable enough. Haha.

Oh and ya, I know that doing these things IRL would be extremely time consuming. I'm not complaining that it's not realistic, I'm complaining that it's annoying. :smallbiggrin:
If you can arrange to get a result of 50, ask your DM if you can do the voluntary increase more than once. You can get it down a lot that way...

Mutazoia
2011-05-04, 07:50 PM
Any way for cleric to cast an arcane spell?

Take a level or two of archivist and get an divine bard to transcribe the desired spells for you

olentu
2011-05-04, 07:52 PM
By the by if your diety does happen to give one of the domains with fabricate, greater anyspell, or something of the sort and you happen to have complete champion the aforementioned substitute domain spell from complete champion will allow you to swap out one of your existing domains for the appropriate one for a few days.

CyMage
2011-05-04, 09:32 PM
A domain draught (Magic Item Compendium) can get you one of the domains that offers Fabricate for less money than a domain staff. Curmudgeon's list (http://home.comcast.net/~ftm3/ASMoNM/domains.html) should help you find an applicable domain.

+1 to the Domain Draught or Substitute Domain spell.

holywhippet
2011-05-05, 12:05 AM
Take a level or two of archivist and get an divine bard to transcribe the desired spells for you

There are so many things wrong with this theory. Firstly, fabricate isn't in the bard spell list. Secondly, you need be a high enough level to cast the scroll or risk spell failure. Thirdly, being an archivist, you need a high enough intelligence stat to cast the spell (15 in this case) which he may or may not have.

Finally, not many players would take a level in class just to be able to cast one particular spell a few times.

Malimar
2011-05-05, 12:16 AM
There are so many things wrong with this theory. Firstly, fabricate isn't in the bard spell list. Secondly, you need be a high enough level to cast the scroll or risk spell failure. Thirdly, being an archivist, you need a high enough intelligence stat to cast the spell (15 in this case) which he may or may not have.

Finally, not many players would take a level in class just to be able to cast one particular spell a few times.

And if he were going to dip another class for the purpose, wizard would be more efficient than archivist anyway, cutting out the middleman.

dextercorvia
2011-05-05, 09:26 AM
Can you get even a single point in UMD? It only takes a skill check of 29 to UMD a scroll of Fabricate. You can probably pimp that out the same way you were boosting your craft check.

Diarmuid
2011-05-05, 09:32 AM
Why not just buy the mundane items and then enchant them?

faceroll
2011-05-05, 09:38 AM
Don't forget about aid another. Can you hire a mess of apprentices to assist?

Addi
2011-05-05, 09:53 AM
I don't see the problem in just casting "Substitute Domain" (as mentioned twice before) and then choose a domain, that offers the needed spell (provided that your deity has those domains).

Or you could just scry out the Legendary Artificer from some place called Eberron. Visit him and pay him the standard amount of gold and he will be pleased and make your Item .... but it may take a while, too.:smallannoyed:

If time matters so much, then look around for some planes or places (Ask DM + scry) that give you a time advantage and craft your item there.

I hope some of this helped.

Edit: I think there are forges in Races of Stone, that give you some bonuses on time/ gold/ etc. Maybe you want to check them out and ask your DM to apply it to your game.

shadmere
2011-05-05, 01:17 PM
Can you get even a single point in UMD? It only takes a skill check of 29 to UMD a scroll of Fabricate. You can probably pimp that out the same way you were boosting your craft check.

I . . . huh.

Good point. :smallredface:

Why not just buy the mundane items and then enchant them?

Because I have to make them myself. It's armor made out of bone and a sword made with pieces of bone, and making them is specified as a Bone Knight thing.

If time matters so much, then look around for some planes or places (Ask DM + scry) that give you a time advantage and craft your item there.

I hope some of this helped.

My god is Jergal, for plot-based reasons, and his domains are mostly unhelpful.

Scry just finds people, doesn't it? How can I find different planes and manage to get there? (I think I'll either buy an object or take that UMD point to get my equipment. I just want more information about planes, now :smalltongue:)

Edit: And all of this has helped a lot. Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

sreservoir
2011-05-05, 02:12 PM
guidance of the avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) may be of help, if you can +10 multiple times (there's an epic use that explicitly lets you do it more than once, but).

candycorn
2011-05-05, 02:25 PM
Adamantine Longsword: 3015 gp. = 30150sp.
Cost in materials: 1005gp (Savings: 2010gp)

Longsword Craft DC: 15.
Let's say you can reliably get a Craft check of 30.

Voluntary DC increase: DC 25.

Craft Progress per week: 750 sp.
Weeks to complete: 40.2 weeks.

Let's say you can reliably get a 40.
Voluntary DC increase: DC 35.

Craft Progress per week: 1400sp
Weeks to complete: 21.5

And if you can get a 50?
DC increase: DC 45.

Craft Progress per week: 2250sp
Weeks to complete: 13.4 weeks

No, adamantine weapons seem to be long term goals for master craftsmen.

To get it in a week? You'd need to be able to make a DC 175.

Abbalah
2011-05-05, 02:27 PM
I . . . huh.

Good point. :smallredface:

You don't even need the point in UMD. Wieldskill, in addition to the competence bonus, lets you make a skill check as though you were trained in the skill. Wieldskill+Divine Insight at a reasonable CL=autosuccess on using a fabricate scroll.

Diarmuid
2011-05-05, 02:37 PM
/snip

Because I have to make them myself. It's armor made out of bone and a sword made with pieces of bone, and making them is specified as a Bone Knight thing.

/snip

I guess my question would be that if you have to make it yourself, is using a magic spell to make it going to satisfy the requirement? I dont have the book so I cant check the exact wording on the requirements.

shadmere
2011-05-05, 02:43 PM
I guess my question would be that if you have to make it yourself, is using a magic spell to make it going to satisfy the requirement? I dont have the book so I cant check the exact wording on the requirements.

I'd assume so. I'm still the one doing the thing, and I'm the one providing a "Craft Armor" check, so it'd take a vaguely malicious DM ruling to say I couldn't. It wouldn't be entirely irrational to say that, but it'd be kinda mean for no good reason.

This campaign has been extremely time-driven, honestly. Much more so than I would have expected. I would be fine with taking the time to craft the items, but I don't think the other players would be alright with "waiting." Even "in game" waiting seems to annoy them. I once asked for an extra day to accomplish something in town before we struck off into the woods, and I had to argue for it, even though the OOC affect was that the DM had to say "A day passes, then you leave." I have no idea why they were so resistant to "wasting time." :smalltongue:

I don't think that the crafting requirements are there to make it hard to get the items. They're there partially for fluff and partially as a skill point sink. I'm just trying to figure out a way to get this stuff done in a way that isn't obvious hand-waving. (The DM is cool, but he doesn't like bending the rules for fluff reasons, even if it wouldn't really have an effect other than "so I don't have to figure out a way to craft this stuff quickly.")

You don't even need the point in UMD. Wieldskill, in addition to the competence bonus, lets you make a skill check as though you were trained in the skill. Wieldskill+Divine Insight at a reasonable CL=autosuccess on using a fabricate scroll.

:smalleek:

Wow. Um. Thanks.

I'd hug you, but you might not want me to. :smallcool:

Ashiel
2011-05-05, 02:43 PM
Oh that's not a problem. Asking for a gauntlet of true striking will cause your DM to smack you with a metal gauntlet IRL engraved with the words "true strike". Also, potions max at 3rd level spells I think. You want a tablet that you can snap of wish (or bracelet you wear and use like a ring of 3 wishes).

Not if you make the gauntlets of true striking correctly. You have to follow the rules. Because of way the true strike spell works, particularly its duration, you cannot have a continuous effect true strike (ironically, if you did, you'd spend thousands of gold pieces for a single attack a +20).

However, a set of gauntlets that allows you to cast true strike at will? That's entirely legit. You spend 1 standard action to get a +20 on your next attack (that's next turn), which is cool but so very far from being overpowered.

Now you could make a set of gauntlets of instant accuracy which would be a quickened true strike. Such an item would cost you about 90,000 gp (more than a pair of +6 ability score items) and would basically allow you to cast true strike once per round as a swift action; which means it'd only affect one out of all your attacks.

Again, nice, but hardly OP in the least.

======

As for the OP, see if your GM will allow you access to an item that casts the spell in question 1/day. Generally the price for this item (assuming it uses a command word) should be (1800 gp * the spell level * the caster level) divided by 5. However, if the spell has an expensive material component, the material component's value must be multiplied by 100 before the division.

Thus an orb of undead animation (Caster Level 5th) that could animate up to 10 HD of undead per day would be priced like this:

(Spell Level (3) x Caster Level (5) x 1800 gp) = 27,000 gp
(Material Component Cost: (250 gp x 100) = 25,000 gp
Divided by 5 (52,000 / 5) = 10,400 gp

Thus for 10,400 gp you could have an orb (or gauntlet, or wand, or pretty much any sort of magical doohicky you could imagine) that animated 10 HD worth of undead each day by speaking a magic word or phrase.

EDIT: Also, this is a good option for eternal wands (not to be confused with eternal wands from Eberron which function differently and are priced differently).

An eternal wand is essentially a normal wand that has charges measured in x/day instead of x/ever. As a wand it's a spell-trigger item and you must have it on your spell list to use it (whereas the Eberron version is priced differently, they are also used by any arcane casters, spell lists be darned).

The determine the cost of an eternal wand, figure the price of a normal wand (or staff) and divide it by 5. That's the amount of gold that it will cost per charge.

So a wand fireball with 50 charges costs 11,250 gp.
An endless wand of fireball would cost 2,250 gp per charge.
Thus a wand of fireball 1/day would cost 2,250 gp, while a wand of fireball 10/day would cost 22,500 gp.

I find such wands ideal for spells like secure shelter, as you probably won't care to cast them more than once per day, but it's fun to be able to take your house with you.

It's also a good way to pack a spell like daylight or knock, which you might want for emergencies, but don't expect to need more than 1/day on some occasions.