PDA

View Full Version : Kuo-Toa range.. am I blind?

Nich_Critic
2011-05-04, 08:08 PM
Hey all,

Is there a listed range for the Kuo-Toa lightning bolt ability? If so, where is it, and if not, what's a reasonable limit?

Thanks

Rei_Jin
2011-05-04, 08:15 PM
Err... do you mean Shocker Lizard lightning bolt?

A few more specifics would be helpful. Whereabouts are you getting this information from, and what does it pertain to? A Kuo-toa mage casting Lightning Bolt? A Cleric with some special domain? A funky item they have?

I personally wasn't aware that Kuo-toa had any lightning bolt abilities beyond what everyone else has access to.

EDIT: Ah, there it is. Because it's not SRD, I can't post up much about it, but you are right that it's not listed in the Monster Manual. Perhaps check the Errata, or the Wizards FAQ

AslanCross
2011-05-04, 08:22 PM
Oddly enough, no errata on it. Typically, lightning bolts go out to 120 feet, so I'd use that.

Nich_Critic
2011-05-04, 08:33 PM
Sorry, for future reference, we're looking at MM164. Kuo Toa clerics have a neat ability where they join forces and launch lightning, with the damage and DC scaling to the number of clerics involved. But the ability is never given a range, action, or target. 120 sounds ok, though.

Come to think of it, it might be lightning bolt as the spell, though it never says anything like that.

Rei_Jin
2011-05-04, 08:40 PM
You could probably treat it as per Lightning Bolt, with a caster level equal to the number of "whips" involved with it, thus the range would be 100ft + 10ft per whip. As each "whip" involved adds +1d6 damage, you'd have an easy reckoner for it.

Alternatively, give it a range of 60ft and say it's similar to Eldritch Blast.

Achernar
2011-05-04, 09:05 PM
Hey, that's a pretty cool ability. Never noticed it before, really. I would treat it as a Call Lighting spell myself, with a CL = number of whips generating it, and a of duration 1 round. The range would be the same as the spell.