PDA

View Full Version : Factotum 19/X1?

Black_Zawisza
2011-05-04, 08:26 PM
Our campaign setting:
- About equal parts combat and social stuff.
- Extremely low-wealth. I think our six-man party's net worth is about 50K gold.
- We haven't gotten many magic items.
- Pretty low-magic.

My character is a Factotum 10 right now. I've settled on progressing at least to Factotum 19, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Should I go straight Factotum, or take a one-level dip in some base or prestige class? If I dip in the class you suggest, at what point should I do so?

Lateral
2011-05-04, 08:28 PM
You don't get a huge amount from that last level, some form of dip could be helpful. A Swordsage dip could be nice- I'm not sure what level you might want that at, though.

Morph Bark
2011-05-04, 08:29 PM
Warblade is an obvious choice.

Maybe Chameleon could help in there somehow?

olentu
2011-05-04, 08:31 PM
You don't get a huge amount from that last level, some form of dip could be helpful. A Swordsage dip could be nice- I'm not sure what level you might want that at, though.

I would assume you would want to take an initiator class rather later so as to take advantage of the higher initiator level to possibly learn higher level maneuvers.

Lateral
2011-05-04, 08:34 PM
I don't think Chameleon is great for a 1-level dip, but I could be wrong. Warblade gets INT-synergy and is a little stronger, you might be better off with that, yeah. Take it at an odd level, to maximize your IL from the dip. The sooner you dip, the sooner you get the abilities and the longer you have 'em, but the later you dip the more powerful they'll be. Keep in mind, though, that at higher levels you might not qualify for most of the maneuvers, so it shouldn't be too high. (Actually, level 11 might be a good place to dip.)

Draz74
2011-05-04, 08:49 PM
Warblade INT synergy from a one-level dip is insignificant. It's just a +1 bonus to your Reflex save. Meh.

If fractional BAB is allowed, Swordsage strikes me as a better dip than Warblade overall. Though the Warblade can refresh its maneuvers better, so either choice is OK.

Factotum 20 isn't a bad level either, though. Two more Inspiration Points, one more Level 6 spell per day, and one more Opportunistic Piety use per day. Could be a lot worse.

TimeWizard
2011-05-04, 09:03 PM
If you're going to dip into the Initiator I'd pick Swordsage: more maneuvers to chose from. I'm not well brushed up on factotums, but if you want to boost AC the Unarmored Swordsage variant is +WIS (like monk) but there's an always-overlooked feat from Oriental Adventures called Kung Fu Genius, which lets you swap your wisdom bonus to AC for an INT bonus. If it's worth a feat or to you. Swordsage is my choice for dip into the ToB classes.

Rogue, unless it's redundant, is good for +1d6 sneak attack (alright) and skill points (great).

mootoall
2011-05-04, 09:17 PM
I'd personally stay with factotums, for a couple reasons. Firstly, factota (I'm going to use every single goddamned pluralization and like it!) are first and foremost skill monkeys, and cunning knowledge makes the most of that. I personally take at least five ranks in everything, then max out those I want the most. Cunning Knowledge adds factotum level, and that last extra point can't hurt! Not to mention Cunning Brilliance gives you the Ex abilities up to your factotum level as well, meaning you'd only get 19th level sorcerer spellcasting, not 20th. So yeah, I think that 20th level is pretty good.

Black_Zawisza
2011-05-04, 10:29 PM
I'd personally stay with factotums, for a couple reasons. Firstly, factota (I'm going to use every single goddamned pluralization and like it!) are first and foremost skill monkeys, and cunning knowledge makes the most of that. I personally take at least five ranks in everything, then max out those I want the most. Cunning Knowledge adds factotum level, and that last extra point can't hurt! Not to mention Cunning Brilliance gives you the Ex abilities up to your factotum level as well, meaning you'd only get 19th level sorcerer spellcasting, not 20th. So yeah, I think that 20th level is pretty good.
*checks copy of Dungeonscape* Cunning Brilliance only applies to L15 or lower abilities, sadly.

BTW, guys, what do you think of Master of Masks as a 1 level dip?

Draz74
2011-05-04, 10:42 PM
BTW, guys, what do you think of Master of Masks as a 1 level dip?

Awesome if you plan to carry a golf bag of crazy exotic weapons and use them a lot. Otherwise not worth it.

Black_Zawisza
2011-05-05, 12:36 AM
I don't think Chameleon is great for a 1-level dip, but I could be wrong. Warblade gets INT-synergy and is a little stronger, you might be better off with that, yeah. Take it at an odd level, to maximize your IL from the dip. The sooner you dip, the sooner you get the abilities and the longer you have 'em, but the later you dip the more powerful they'll be. Keep in mind, though, that at higher levels you might not qualify for most of the maneuvers, so it shouldn't be too high. (Actually, level 11 might be a good place to dip.)
Taking Absolute Steel (+10ft speed, +2 AC after moving), Wall of Blades (make an attack roll to parry away enemy attack), Iron Heart Surge (you know what this **** does), and White Raven Tactics (*drool*) would be pretty damn good for just 1 level of Warblade. Hell yeah.

At least, it seems to me that Wall of Blades and Absolute Steel would be the best ways to fulfill the prerequisites for IHS and WRT. Anybody disagree?

EDIT: Just occurred to me that Wall of Blades and Absolute Steel are both Iron Heart, so they don't fulfill WRT's prerequisite. But all the low White Raven maneuvers suck...:smallsigh: I'll just take Douse the Flames (if attack hits, enemy can't take AoOs), I guess. But what should I give up to compensate? Wall of Blades or Absolute Steel? Ugh...

dspeyer
2011-05-05, 02:04 AM
Swordsage may beat warblade because of prerequisites. Those extra maneuvers can fulfill them, letting you actually get the ones you want.

aazru
2011-05-05, 03:48 AM
Factotum19/Mindbender1 with Mindsight is my favorite.

faceroll
2011-05-05, 05:24 AM
I woud go swordsage at level 12, for 6th level maneuvers. Pick up assassin's stance and shadowblade, for +2d6 sneak attack and dex to damage. Would also nab something like shadowstride, for teleporting.

Factotum19/Mindbender1 with Mindsight is my favorite.

I'm uncertain those SLAs count for having a CL of 5. I know warlock qualifies, but warlock has some exceptions.