PDA

View Full Version : Archivist//Factotum Gestalt PvP Build help

JKTrickster
2011-05-04, 10:43 PM
Hi Playgrounders! This my first time building a PvP build so I'm looking for some help!

It will be a level 20 Gestalt Solo PvP game, every man for himself. It seems like the other people know what they are doing so no need to hold back. As for me, this would be my first in a real PvP match so I would appreciate the help.

I was thinking of going Archivist//Factotum, but I don't know what Prestige Classes to get/etc. This is my first time running Archivists, but I thought it would be fun trying out the Divine Wizard for once.

I have a general idea on what spells to choose, but how can I expand my spell list (e.g. add more spells to the book) without buying lots of scrolls? Or is that the only method?

There's also the chance that the DM will run some encounters against us, and from the looks of it, there might even be an Epic-leveled boss. So I would really like to optimize, even if only to prepare for that and run at 75% for the rest of the campaign.

Just wondering, would it be worth it to grab the Saint Template? Or no?

Thanks for any advice!

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-04, 11:52 PM
Hrrm. Not sure how much I can help... I'm in my umpteenth day of building a 7th-level archivist.

I assume you've looked over all the sourcebooks? If not, make sure you include Book of Vile Darkness when you do- Flesh Ripper is fun. (1d8/level with no save, possible crit).

The big downside to the Archivist for PvP is that his signature move, Dark Knowledge, only works against undead, demons, etc- so probably not players. You *might* be able to find a way to work around that, but I can't think of anything that wouldn't give a save, and if you can beat someone's save, you should just be using Ghoul Gesture instead.

Oh. One combo that I'm not sure would work, but... use Spellstaff to store Ghoul Glyph. I *think* spellstaff is a spell completion item, and I *think* that means you can cast with a standard action... and ghoul glyph is paralysis with no save. So that's that fight won.

Make sure you look into poisons. Greensickness and Black Lotus Extract can both ruin someone's day; the former will debilitate them faster, the second's more likely to kill them. Greensickness has a save DC of 33, as well as being inhaled, and they're *both* plant-based... so feel free to create cubic feet per level with minor creation.

Primal Instinct from Dragon Magic will give you a +5 on initiative checks, for the whole day. Add in another +4 from Sign and you're likely gonna get the first hit in.

I mentioned it earlier, but be certain you have Ghoul Gesture- fort save vs. paralization, and even if they make it, they're still sickened.

Consider using Burrow. I don't know what you should consider it *for*, but consider it.

Make sure you've read all your spell lists well- sometimes you can get things a level or two earlier by nabbing them off the right domain list, or from Ranger/Paladin spells.

Check if you can talk your DM into letting you use Knowledge Devotion against your fellow players, with a knowledge "Local" check. Or with an unspecced knowledge check. With the right set of spells, you can hit a 40 DC on an untrained skill, easy.

Keld Denar
2011-05-05, 12:25 AM
Darkbolt, the Darkness5 domain spell from Spell Compendium, should be one of your primary attack spells. Its a dazes with a failed save, and almost nothing is immune to Daze. You can MM it up a little if you want, a Twinned one would come from a 9th leve slot. Its untyped damage, which is awesome. Its not [Mind Affecting] either. The only real counter to it is Ray Deflection or a rediculously high touch AC. Cast one, firing all 7 (or 14 with Twin Spell) to force a TON of Will saves vs Daze, then Cunning Surge and cast another to release one bolt per round. Each round, fire off one of those bolts plus a full volley from another casting until 7 rounds are up.
That should keep your foe daze-locked until they die. Open with a Disjunction if you can to strip off any protections. If it fails or is counterspelled, Cunning Surge and Disjoin again and again and again until it works.

For defenses, make sure you have up Beastland Ferocity (SpC), Delay Death (SpC), Mind Blank, Elemental Body (SpC), Death Ward, and Favor of the Martyr (SpC) up. Probably a good idea to have True Seeing running as well. That makes you immune to HP damage, negative levels, ability damage, crits, stuns, dazes, [Mind Affecting], and a handful of other effects. You also get Perfect Fly from Elemental Body, which is handy. You don't want those to get dispelled, so get a Ring of Enduring Arcana, an Orange IWIN Stone, a Bead of Karma, and whatever else you can get to boost your CL. Then get a pair of Rings of Greater Counterspells and load them up with Disjunction. This should keep your buffs up for at least one round, assuming your foe doesn't have Cunning Surge, allowing you to play your own trump cards and win. Your only real vulnerability is Polymorph Any Object, which you can counter simply by casting Shapechange. In fact, start the fight in Dire Tortous form (Sandstorm) because they are never surprized. If your foe is Undead or an Aberration or such, don't forget to use your Dark Knowledge to daze him with a skill check. Thats pretty badass and should be done assuming Darkbolt fails.

Thats probably overkill, but it should work.

JKTrickster
2011-05-05, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the spell suggestions guys! Would it be a bad idea to dip Cloistered Cleric to grab Divine Metamagic to help alleviate with metamagic costs?

Would you guys recommend using the Dweomerkeeper PrC for the last few level until 20th? I'm looking for a PrC to top things off, especially on the Factotum side.