PDA

View Full Version : The Dinner [3.5e Horror]

Moose Man
2011-05-05, 12:24 AM
Shluck

It's two in the morning. The mail arrives right on time. You have been counting the hours and on every Tuesday, the mail arrives at two exactly. Such a strange town. The villagers are superstistious enough to be afraid of ants. As you reach for the mail, brooding over your thirteenth sleepless night in a row, you notice that it is bulky, is of finer grade paper than even you could afford, the seal on the letter is ornate, unfamiliar and confusing. When you pick it up, you drop it out of surprise. It's heavier than a bar of gold!

PollyOliver
2011-05-05, 12:41 AM
Elir pulls the hood of her cloak up over her face. It was a fine cloak once, though it had been somewhat gaudy--silk and velvet and brocade, all in the same garment, which had made her wrinkle her nose in amusement. But the moths had been at it in the centuries it had lain in the one of the manor's dust-choked wardrobes. It is less gaudy now than haunting, and so it fits the ghost of Rethas Manor well.

The girl who is a ghost slips out onto the step, moving with the grace of a dancer--or the servant of another world. She has long, brown hair that falls in a curtain past her waist, hanging down in two columns out the front of her hood, and under the cloak she wears a silken dress of cream and pale pink, looking for all the world like a dusty doll. Her eyes should be obscured by the cloak, but somehow they are visible, two frightening points of deeper darkness in the darkness of her hood.

She bends and picks up the letter, catching herself as she nearly drops it, marveling at its weight, and then slips back inside, awed as she always is that the superstitious villagers will brave the doorstep of a haunted manor to deliver their precious, exquisitely-timed mail.

Elir shrugs out of her cloak and lets it fall, fascinated by the letter. She turns it over carefully, squinting at the bizarre seal and at the feel of fine parchment beneath her fingers. Very, very fine parchment.

Finally, too curious not to, Elir draws the knife from her belt and slits open the seal.

Ajadea
2011-05-05, 01:14 AM
At the inn, a tall man in a dark blue cloak examines the ornate letter with interest. Lucas had held gold before, and this was near as heavy as a bar of it. He sits down at an empty table, rubbing his thin callused finger over the ornate seal. The well-used sword at his waist remains in easy reach, as it had for the last thirteen days. This town made him uneasy. Everything was inhumanly precise. The mail, the meals, the buildings. The same people who lived in fear of ants would accept a complete stranger who arrived in the dark of night with blood on his boots. And apparently, deliver him mail.

The hood comes off, revealing rather striking features. He has an almost feminine face with honey-colored eyes. His flaxen hair is unevenly cropped to right below his earlobes. He is clean shaven, and looks weary despite his apparent youth. As if he'd seen too much. He quietly requests food to break his fast; bread, cheese, and some ale. When he moves, you can catch glimpses of a slightly baggy cream-colored shirt, a brown rough-spun vest, and dark breeches under the cloak. The bloodstained boot taps rhythmically on the floor as he thinks.

Trodon
2011-05-05, 10:16 AM
What in the nine hells? Kerrik thinks to himself, then retrieving the package opening it.

Emperor Ing
2011-05-05, 10:43 AM
The kobold has been offput by the uncanny precision of this town's residence. Everything was always just as. On the bright side the people were more than trustworthy, if you overlooked their obvious fear of everything. They said you would have your meal ready in 5 minutes, you're damned if that food doesn't arrive at your table exactly 300 seconds later. It's all very uncanny. However, most residents curiously want very little to do with the kobold once they notice his seriously deformed hands.

Anyways, Reeme picks up the letter, and it slips once he realizes how heavy it is. He's fast, so he catches it again, although he jammed a finger in the process. Going to a vacant table, Reeme uses a claw to open the letter and reveal its contents.

Ajadea
2011-05-05, 12:56 PM
Lucas frowns at the letter, before carefully opening the seal with the side of his finger. He attempts to avoid breaking the seal-it was familiar, and he did wish to attempt to identify it again.

Jallorn
2011-05-05, 05:51 PM
Mazuf, the boastful treasure hunter, tosses himself down into a chair in the inn. He looks at the letter long before saying, No one should know I'm here. He apparently gets over it however, as he rips open the envelope to read the letter.

The boisterous young man had arrived only the day before. He has a touch of color to his skin, and then a little more from the sun. His hair is a light brown, and mussed in a style he calls, "Faux neat," whatever that means. A raucous drinker, he made his presence known last night by flirting furiously with every woman in the inn, sometimes at the same time. It was a note to his charisma and good looks that he only got slapped a couple times.

Moose Man
2011-05-06, 09:17 PM
To whomever it may concern:

It has come to the attention of Count Arcieus, Lord of Darkloim Manor that you are in need of a job opportunity to distract you from your loss. Further details are unsafe within a letter, and therefore Lord Arcieus invites you to spend your evening at his Manorhouse. Arrive by Two AL. The premises are open to visitors between Two AD and Four BL.

OOC:Find your own way to the manor.

The time system in this setting isn't bi-secular, it's quad-secular, meaning instead of Am/Pm, they have (in-order) BD/AD/BL/AL. These are each six hour chunks. Two AL would be 8:00 pm, Two AD is 8:00 am, Four BL is 4:00 pm. Got it?

TigerHunter
2011-05-06, 09:27 PM
Roh slips out of the bed and snatches up the package. He didn't generally get mail, he made a point of being hard to find. If someone had tracked him down, he reasoned, that person was skilled enough to be worth meeting. Surprised at the weight, he grabs the package with both hands and opens it on the bed.

TigerHunter
2011-05-06, 09:33 PM
A job? Someone had tracked him down just to offer him a job? Brazen, certainly. Definitely a character worth meeting, at the least.

Roh glances out the window. It was pouring rain outside, and the manor was only two hours' walk. He slipped back into bed.

By dawn, the rain had cleared. He set out for the manor at 6 BD, determined to arrive as early as possible.

Ajadea
2011-05-06, 09:47 PM
"No kidding," Lucas mutters darkly. His voice is a light tenor, slightly androgynous just like the rest of him. He crumples the letter in one slim fist and lobs it over the head of the tanned flirt into the fireplace. He had certainly noticed the man-hard not to.

He sighs. Arcieus Darkloim. Lucas had recognized his seal, and the name sounded familiar, though only distantly. He cannot possibly know...

[roll0] add my mod.

I can't imagine that Lucas wouldn't know at least the name.

PollyOliver
2011-05-06, 10:12 PM
Elir reads the letter, and then reads it again carefully. Frowning, she gets out her magic tome and starts flipping through it, thinking as she does about this Lord Arcieus and his Darkloim Manor.

Knowledge nobility for information on Lord Arcieus, using the tome to get a bonus [roll0]. If I can use architecture and engineering for the manor, then [roll1], otherwise just use the nobility check.

Jallorn
2011-05-06, 10:24 PM
He must've heard of my talent at finding treasure, Mazuf laughs loudly before tossing back his drink, I'll see what kind of profit margin he's offering, and if it interests me, I'll think about it. Leaving the letter on the table next to the empty mug, he strolls out of the tavern, patting a waitress's but on his way out.

PollyOliver
2011-05-07, 12:37 PM
Elir closes her book with a half-satisfied smile. She packs her belongings slowly, thinking about the manor and how she will get there, and then goes back to bed. She changes out of the long, flowing gown, and goes to sleep.

She rises in the morning and puts on more normal clothes--hose and a long, belted tunic, soft boots, with a small cap and a light, new-looking cloak. She doubts any of the the townsfolk would want to give directions to a ghost. She pauses for some time to pray, paging idly through her prayer book as she does, and eats a brief and silent breakfast.

With that, she is done. She picks up her pack, making sure the bizarre invitation is easily accessible, and slips out the back servants' entrance to the manor, heading into town. She heads to the inn, thinking that should be the easiest place to get information, and tries to catch the bartender's attention.

Ajadea
2011-05-07, 01:14 PM
Lucas sighs and eats, watching the clock. At Four AL, he leaves, heading up to Darkloim Manor. Time to meet the Unknown.

Emperor Ing
2011-05-07, 01:39 PM
Reeme smiles slightly before putting away the letter. The kobold tried to keep a low profile but he was quite bad at doing so. Nevertheless, this individual might be an interesting one to look into. Two AL? That's quite late.

Packing away his belongings, including keeping his shortsword ready at his side, he makes out for the mansion. Obviously not to arrive so damn early, but rather to just know where it is and then wait out until he is expected...or prehaps arriving when guests are welcome is more appropriate, as there appears to be a 4-hour gap in between the expected time of arrival and when guests will be welcome. Prehaps arriving on 3:00 BL would be optimal.

Trodon
2011-05-07, 05:09 PM
Loss... Kerrik thought to himself. he turned, and got ready to leave for the manor.

Moose Man
2011-05-08, 10:13 PM
ElirAllo, whadda we 'ave 'ere? A striplin' wif see-through 'ands? Not 'as uncommon 'as you'd 'uve thunk, isn't it? Well, what is it you want, ghostie? The pudgy barkeeper turned, and with uncanny precision threw three glasses at different tables. They land, in front of their drinkers, without spilling a drop. The tavern is unusually quiet, with some of the drinkers visibly shaking at the sight of you. The barkeep, however, is just calmly waiting for an answer.Lucas, Mazuf, Remee, Kerrik (name from fairy wars?) and RohYou suddenly realize you have no idea where the mansion is.

Jallorn
2011-05-08, 10:23 PM
Knowledge (Local): [roll0]

Ajadea
2011-05-08, 10:39 PM
Lucas stops halfway down the street, then wheels around, digging his hands into his cloak in an effort to remain calm. He pushes the door of the inn open once more, walking straight up to the innkeeper with arms folded over his chest, as seemed to be his habit. He seems to pay little attention to the other people in the inn, but someone watching carefully would have noticed how his eyes flicked around him before he spoke. "Excuse me," he says in a quiet tone, "Do you know the location of Darkloim Manor?"

Moose Man
2011-05-08, 10:51 PM
Lucas'scuse me, but ahm waitin' for an answer frum this here'n ghostie. The irritated barkeep throws another three glasses with uncanny accuracy, the glasses hissing the tables with nary a sound.

PollyOliver
2011-05-09, 01:46 AM
"I had the same question, in truth," Elir says, looking briefly at her hands. "I was asked to report to Darkloim Manor, and was hoping you could tell me the way."

Ajadea
2011-05-09, 02:01 AM
Lucas glances at the dark-haired girl, ignoring the uncanny accuracy of the barkeep. His eyes only widen slightly when he sees that she is, in fact, translucent. "If you do not mind, may I ask what is your name?" he asks the ghost-like girl, seemingly unperturbed by her unusual appearance.

PollyOliver
2011-05-09, 02:08 AM
Elir fixes the man with an interested stare. Her skin is pale as ice, and her eyes are blacker than black, like portals into a deep, dark realm.

"Elir," she says finally. Her voice is soft. "My name is Elir. And yours?"

Ajadea
2011-05-09, 02:21 AM
The man glances down and pauses for a moment before replying. "Lucas," he says, almost seeming to half-sigh. Almost cautiously, he looks up to meet her eyes, his wary amber meeting her deep black. Slowly, his arms lower from their defensive position folded over his chest to hang stiffly at his side. It does nothing to make him look relaxed.

Emperor Ing
2011-05-09, 10:10 AM
Reeme attempts to make for the nearest bar. Moving over to the barkeep he, very boldly but still inquiring, Excuse me sir, but do ye know where Darkloim Manor is?

TigerHunter
2011-05-09, 12:42 PM
Roh stops as he steps outside the door, realizing he has no idea which direction to travel. Darkloim Manor... he could have sworn he'd known it. A foolish error.

He wracks his brains, trying to recall everything he knows about Lord Arcieus and Darkloim Manor.

[roll0]

Moose Man
2011-05-09, 03:14 PM
Those at the barThis 'ere pair 'o striplins 'av 'en askin' tuh same darn'd queston. Now, 'f you'd be acclimated tuh 'avin a drink wif me in tuh back, where ther's nary a chance ee'd 'ear us wif tuh talk, I'll tell ye where tuh Lord resides.
The man gestures to behind him, while writing on a notepad at the same time. After done, he calls over one of his "striplins" and hands him the note. After this short transaction, he walks to the liquor cabinet, ducks down and opens a door with warm light pouring out of it.
Ye comin' or wat?

Trodon
2011-05-09, 03:25 PM
Kerrik turns inside, then walks over to the barkeep. "It appears I need to get to Darkloim Manor, do you know where it might be?"

Moose Man
2011-05-09, 03:39 PM
KerrickWHAM! Son of a ****', who be acallin' for tuh barkeep when 'ee's passin' throug' tuh door?

Ajadea
2011-05-09, 04:50 PM
Lucas nods curtly, then turns to the other...two now, it seemed. There was a kobold now as well. "As it seems that we have the same destination, I do not believe we all need to follow him," he says. "If you wish to stay here, I can go by myself. I-I understand if you do not wish to engage in drinking before we leave...." He glances away.

PollyOliver
2011-05-09, 10:56 PM
Elir does not respond, only smiles a small, distracted smile, but she glides along behind Lucas and the bartender. Her gait is slow and very even, and it is only by glancing down to make sure her feet are on the floor that those in the bar can tell she isn't floating on air.

Moose Man
2011-05-10, 09:30 PM
Psst: Kerrick, U going in?

Emperor Ing
2011-05-10, 11:31 PM
Reeme goes over to the barkeep, motioning that he is willing to follow him through the door.

Moose Man
2011-05-11, 06:19 AM
The barkeep disappears through the door, making no sound as he shuffles through the tiny opening.

Ajadea
2011-05-11, 10:43 AM
Lucas follows the barkeep through the tiny opening. It wasn't like there was anything else he could do.

Emperor Ing
2011-05-11, 11:33 AM
Reeme also follows, his small size making the squeeze much easier.

Trodon
2011-05-11, 01:26 PM
OOC: Yeah sorry, busy day yesterday.

"Oh, I'm sorry sir." Kerrik says, then following him with the rest of the 'group'.

PollyOliver
2011-05-11, 01:31 PM
Elir slips through the door behind the others, still smiling serenely.

TigerHunter
2011-05-11, 05:38 PM
Roh, having overheard the conversation, makes to follow the others through the opening.

Moose Man
2011-05-14, 10:47 PM
In the room, there is a table, a few chairs and a bookcase. On a smaller table in the forefront of the room, there is a contraption that seems to emit light. The Barkeep gestures for you all to sit, then moves to the contraption, fiddles with it, then sits down. So, ye be lookin' fer tuh way tu tuh Lord's abode, aye?

PollyOliver
2011-05-14, 10:57 PM
Elir drifts over to a chair and sits slowly, cocking her head and staring at the light-emitting device curiously.

"Yes," she says to the barkeep, not taking her eyes off the light, wondering how it works.

Knowledge...I don't know what. Use whichever one works: [roll0]

Ajadea
2011-05-15, 12:39 AM
Lucas takes a seat next to Elir, giving the glowing device only the most cursory of examinations. He nods his head in agreement with Elir's words. "Do you know where his manor is, sir?"

Emperor Ing
2011-05-15, 01:20 AM
Reeme feels a bit...uneasy about all this. Only those brain dead could not notice that there was something very unusual about this place. They watched each shadow with that look. That...look. That look like the priest. And he knew not to let them see his hands lest they mistake Reeme for something even more horrible and monstrous than what they would already consider a kobold to be. And the fact that these people cannot just go "Oh! The Lord's Manor is just a half mile up the road, take a left on the intersecting road and you should see it way off to your left."

Still, he makes subtle looks around the room. Eyeballing entrances, exits, and possible hiding spots. The others seem to be doing the talking, but...there's something not quite right about them either. It's something familiar yet so stranger.

Moose Man
2011-05-15, 10:58 PM
Arright, I've been studyin' tuh lord from afar, and there's nuthin wurse than a peachy blighter who buggers off when ye try to approach 'im. 'Specially in tuh spy business, don'cha know. I ssupposse you are sssusspicious of my accssent changesss, yesss? Vell, a vhile ago, in the Lord'sss manor, I sssuffered a ssstroke vhich causssed damage to the part of the brain that dealsss vith voice. Now, about every five minutes, I suffer and accent change. My choice of words is infringed upon by this annoyance as well. The lord lives in the castle at this address. He draws a pad of paper and a pen out of his pocket and starts scribbling down an address. I hath thine address, but prithee tarry, so I may beseech you a query of some importance. Also, know this, burn the paper in the fire, for I hath overmany scraps. He hands the paper to Elir first. Upon looking at it, you see the words and numbers in the page wriggle, squirm, then leap to your eyes. The ink, not overhot and burning through your corneas, when the sensation passes, you can do nothing but hand the page to the next person, albeit numbly. The same happens to each in turn.

Emperor Ing
2011-05-16, 02:20 PM
As the paper comes to Reeme, he grunts as the writing goes into his eyes. Rrrrgh! What the heck?

PollyOliver
2011-05-16, 02:41 PM
Elir giggles softly at the warm tickling sensation as she passes the note along.

Ajadea
2011-05-16, 03:06 PM
Lucas inhales sharply, squeezing his eyes shut as the letters and numbers seem to burn themselves into his eyelids. He opens his mouth, perhaps to say something, then, apparently thinking better of it, shuts his mouth again and crosses his arms over his chest-it seems to be a habit of his.

TigerHunter
2011-05-16, 06:22 PM
Roh blinks a few times as he hands off the paper. His curiosity is aroused.

Trying to identify the spell: [roll0]

Whoops. No ranks in Spellcraft. Nevermind.

PollyOliver
2011-05-16, 11:45 PM
"So," says Elir with another soft giggle, a bizarre, echoing sound. "What was your query? And whatever did you do to that magnificent piece of paper?"

Spellcraft, maybe? [roll0]

Moose Man
2011-05-17, 04:44 AM
Acutally, now my questions number two instead of just one.
First, why do you want to know where the lord lives?
Second, would you like to know more about the lord?

Emperor Ing
2011-05-17, 09:11 AM
One... The kobold glances about the room. We have recieved an invitation to spend dinner with them. I presume we have talents that the Lord knows of that makes us...business partners. He pauses briefly, remembering his second question. To your second question: Yes. Please tell.

Ajadea
2011-05-17, 10:23 AM
"Yes," Lucas says, presumably in agreement. To what, exactly, is unclear. "I am not sure how he knows of us all, but I will not argue with facts."

PollyOliver
2011-05-17, 10:32 AM
"Yes and yes," Elir echoes. She pauses for a moment, thinking. "Is it true what they say?" she asks. "About the almonds?"

Emperor Ing
2011-05-17, 10:38 AM
"Yes," Lucas says, presumably in agreement. To what, exactly, is unclear. "I am not sure how he knows of us all, but I will not argue with facts."

I just guessed, we are all in the same place asking about the same person and the same thing, I only assumed, although it's a fairly educated assumption.

Moose Man
2011-05-17, 10:53 AM
Aah, so y're 'is next "bizness p'rtners," are ye? As for the lord, ye won't 'member any sizable quantity of what I'm about tu show ye. The barkeep wanders over to the machine and turns it on.

TigerHunter
2011-05-17, 01:42 PM
Roh continues to watch silently, content to let the others speak for him.

PollyOliver
2011-05-17, 01:47 PM
"We're his next business partners?" Elir asks in a slightly dreamy voice, staring at the machine. "What happened to the previous ones?" She grins, showing very white teeth that look considerably more solid than the rest of her. "Was it gruesome?"

Ajadea
2011-05-17, 02:49 PM
"I would hope not," Lucas mutters. He fixes his amber eyes on the machine and sinks into a tense silence.

Moose Man
2011-05-17, 03:27 PM
Sssh, it's starting. The machine shudders, then emits light onto the wall directly in front of it (away from you guys). There's just a white square, then your vision fades to black.What feels like a few seconds later:Your consciousness returns. Get up, ye'all been sleepin' fer hours!

Trodon
2011-05-17, 10:14 PM
"Ugh, what happened?"

Jallorn
2011-05-17, 10:20 PM
Mazuf goes to the mansion at the appropriate time.

Just saying it in case it needs to be said.

Moose Man
2011-05-17, 10:25 PM
Get up! go, you're going to be late!!!

Emperor Ing
2011-05-17, 10:26 PM
Reeme slowly stands up. Wha...what just happened?

Moose Man
2011-05-17, 10:39 PM
You were watching the film as if entranced, and half way through, when I accidentally knocked over Remee, you didn/t respond, none of you did. now go! you are going to be late!!

PollyOliver
2011-05-17, 10:44 PM
"Hmm," Elir says. She waves to the barkeep as she drifts out of the room, heading toward the address that was burned into her eyes. "You know," she says to the empty air, "I don't believe we ever told him when we were supposed to be there." She laughs at this, as if it is a fine joke, and keeps walking.

Ajadea
2011-05-17, 10:47 PM
Lucas stirs at the sound of the man's voice, then the words slide into place. He mutters something quietly in a voice that is too high and soft, then growls and gets to his feet. Carefully. "You'd better be here when we get back, bartender. I've got a lot of questions for you," he snaps, heading out the room and up the stairs to grab his things in a whirl of dark blue cloak, creamy skin, and gleaming gold eyes that are no longer wary. Just angry.

Lucas heads to the manor, pacing himself carefully so that he doesn't tire. Lacking dress clothes, he had chosen to clad himself in his fullplate, never mind that the damn suit was heavy. He wasn't sure he would return after all, and it was actually easier to walk in the plate than it was to carry it. It was suitably ostentanious and polished well enough, with patterns of fleur-de-lis and flying feathers in dark blue and white enamel on the pauldrons, vambraces, and poleyns. The breastplate, large shield, and gauntlets seemed to be a shade darker than the other armor, though equally cared for. The mismatched shield also lacks a coat of arms, a clear sign of a wandering warrior.

Emperor Ing
2011-05-17, 11:06 PM
Wait, how do you know my name?

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 06:25 AM
Dinnae mind that, laddie. Yer gonna be late!!

TigerHunter
2011-05-18, 12:33 PM
"Not so fast. You take us in here, leave us unconscious for... what, a few hours? and then hustle us out the door? I, for one, would like some answers."

Emperor Ing
2011-05-18, 12:44 PM
Reeme just nods off and goes to make a run for the mansion.

Moose Man
2011-05-18, 01:39 PM
The lord has taken fancy to ye fer sum unfathum'ble reason, and 'e duzen't take kindly to lateness. Cunsidrin' 'e can kill wif a wurd, I'd avoid upsettin' 'him. And I did try to wake you, you only woke up now! Run, if ye value yer life!

TigerHunter
2011-05-18, 05:12 PM
Roh sighs and rushes off towards the manor. What a strange day...

Trodon
2011-05-21, 11:10 PM
Kerrik heads toward the manner, rubbing his head.

Moose Man
2011-05-23, 11:25 AM
The CourtyardWalls surround a courtyard filled with statues of monsters and worse. Lichen slicks all surrounding stone, and patches of moss are not uncommon. The weight of the air in the courtyard is oppressive, damp and dreary. Out of the corner of your eye, you see the flow of red eyes, but when you turn, there seems to be nothing there, aside from the statues. Occasionally, while turning, you catch a glimpse of a statue moving, but when viewed properly, they seem as normal.The ManorThe Door at the end of the courtyard opens at precisely the time the letter specifies, precisely 2 AL.

Ajadea
2011-05-23, 03:05 PM
The statues, while unnerving, were not terrifying. Lucas had felt terror before, waking-No, he told himself. Don't even start. It did no good to dwell on the past. In any case, there were more frightening things in the world than statues that couldn't even decide whether they were properly animated. After a moment of deliberation, he dons his helm and heads in.

PollyOliver
2011-05-23, 03:11 PM
Elir drifts over to the nearest statue. She gives it a long, hard look, but it seems perfectly normal up close.

"Hello!" she proclaims anyway, tone bright and cheery.

Moose Man
2011-05-23, 03:16 PM
The statue doesn't move, but others out of the corner of your eyes seem to clutch their mouths, in laughter or for another reason, you don't know.

OOC: you never asked what shape the statues were.

PollyOliver
2011-05-23, 03:20 PM
What shapes are they, then?

Elir frowns at the statue before her and turns to the others.

"Think it's funny, do you?" she asks, scowling, but in a still-bright tone.

Moose Man
2011-05-23, 03:24 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YpvWimzMT5M/S9L87rXji1I/AAAAAAAAAXI/b-Rj0FW-dkw/s1600/weeping-angel.jpg

PollyOliver
2011-05-23, 03:39 PM
"It's behind you." :smalltongue:

"Fine," Elir says, eying the statues in annoyance. "Be that way. I'll find someone else to talk to." She chuckles, again as if she's told a wonderful joke, and heads after the swordsman, through the door.

Emperor Ing
2011-05-23, 05:44 PM
*twitch twitch*

Reeme goes past the statues, not really paying them heed. He could've sworn they're watching him, but that's absurd. Still, this place...it's really creepy. It's like the architect built this place specifically to make Reeme seem smaller than he already is. Regardless, he continues to the mansion.

Jallorn
2011-05-23, 09:52 PM
You sir, are evil. :smallbiggrin:

Mazuf moves through the courtyard slowly, more than a little uneasy. Still, he would never let some statues that may or may not be moving get in his way of a good time and some gold, so onwards he goes.

Trodon
2011-05-24, 12:57 PM
Kerrik keeps his hand on his Mace, weary about the statues but keeps walking into the manor.

TigerHunter
2011-05-25, 05:33 PM
Roh glances at the statues intently. They seemed... familiar. Probably cribbed off of some other statue design in one of the places he visited. Whenever anyone managed to achieve anything truly great, everyone rushed to copy him. He felt oddly compelled to admire them.

He enters through the door behind at least a few of the others.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-01, 12:31 AM
((...so...what's happening?))

Moose Man
2011-06-01, 03:39 PM
sorry, forgot...
The HallAs the door Creaks open, warm red light spills out onto the courtyard. The hallway is carpeted, deep enough to lose a cat in, and paintings douse the walls with their gory images, some even scarier than a Bosch painting of hell. Near the end of the hall lies a door. The door's ebony wood has so many knots and curls, you find yourself mesmerized by it's...Will save plz.

Jallorn
2011-06-01, 03:50 PM
Super Secret Obvious Roll
[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2011-06-01, 04:11 PM
Nothing to see here, move along.
[roll0]

Trodon
2011-06-01, 04:14 PM
Will save: [roll0]

Ajadea
2011-06-01, 04:55 PM
Lucas lets out a hissing breath at the sight of the gore-filled paintings. What sort of man could begin to find these scenes of ruin aethestically pleasing? he wonders briefly before his glance slips to the whirling, swirled ebony door.

[roll0]

TigerHunter
2011-06-02, 09:18 PM
How fascinating. Nobles were always pretentious, but at least this one seemed brave enough to be unorthodox about it. Roh couldn't help but admire that.

[roll0]

Moose Man
2011-06-04, 07:25 PM
OOC: All who made a DC 20 Will save continue to move, while the rest freze, their minds transfixed by the door's swirling knots.

Jallorn
2011-06-04, 08:07 PM
Fascinating, Mazuf intones in an odd flat tone that none would expect from him.

PollyOliver
2011-06-04, 08:12 PM
Elir wanders through the gate and shuffles through the deep carpet. Her eyes drift over the intricate ebony scrollwork before her, tracing the lines of the knots, and she feels a tug at her mind. She giggles at the tickling sensation and looks away.

Several of the others have stopped moving, and still stare. She pokes one of them experimentally.

"Hello?" she asks, adding another poke.

OOC: she's poking Mazuf.

Jallorn
2011-06-04, 08:16 PM
OOC: Does anything change?

Emperor Ing
2011-06-04, 08:24 PM
The kobold can't help but watch the door in fascination.
Huh, that's cool.

PollyOliver
2011-06-04, 08:27 PM
Elir pokes the man one last time for good measure, and then moves on to the kobold, nudging him.

"Anyone home?"

Ajadea
2011-06-04, 09:58 PM
Lucas walks up to Mazuf and Reeme, shaking each none too gently. "I don't think they can percieve anything but that door right now. We should bring them with us," he says, glancing around the room. Under the heavy armor he wears, his posture is stiff and tense. "Perhaps distance from those maddening carvings will bring them back to reality."

Moose Man
2011-06-04, 10:46 PM
Mazuf: nothing changes, but you don't perceive anything but those doors.

PollyOliver
2011-06-04, 11:40 PM
Elir nods at Lucas' suggestion and tips her head sideways, examining the rest of the door. Then she reaches out and opens it, and turns back to the kobold to maneuver him past.

Search [roll0] for anything that would make opening the door a bad idea (or how to open it, if it's not obvious); not opening the door if something is found, otherwise opening it and trying to push the kobold through and away so he can't see the carvings.

Ajadea
2011-06-05, 01:00 AM
Lucas grabs ahold of Mazuf's hands, ready to drag him through the doors as soon as he can. "We'll have to come back for the other two. Gods above, I hope this is the only trial we will have to face today."

Trodon (playing Kerrick) and TigerHunter (playing Roh) haven't given Lucas their names, or even described themselves in the thread. What size are they, anyways?

Moose Man
2011-06-05, 12:51 PM
ElirFirst, you are still at the beginning of the hall, and as such, you can't examine the door properly.
LucasI can't recall, but they probably will post within the week.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-05, 12:55 PM
Reeme still watches the door in fascination.

PollyOliver
2011-06-05, 01:04 PM
Ah, whoops. How about this, then:

Elir slowly drifts closer to the door, pulling the kobold behind her with one hand and keeping her wide, black eyes open for anything amiss. When she reaches the door, she examines it again, then raises her hand to open it.

Can I take 10 on search going down the hallway, and then take 20 on the door itself? If not, here's a roll [roll0]. If nothing suspicious is found, she'll try to open the door and take the kobold through. If something suspicious is found, she'll stop before it.

Trodon
2011-06-05, 03:04 PM
OOC: Sorry, been really busy. Medium, human.

Kerrik's eyes widen at the sight with the door. "Beautiful."

Moose Man
2011-06-05, 07:05 PM
Nothing suspicious is found.

PollyOliver
2011-06-05, 08:14 PM
"Hm," Elir says, and tries to open the door and guide the kobold through.

Ajadea
2011-06-05, 09:07 PM
Lucas drags Mazuf over to where Elir is by the hands, whether he walks or not. He deposits Mazuf and his shield on the ground, then returns to grab the other two. He pushes both of them over to where Mazuf lies, doing his best to direct them away from bumping in to each other. Almost as an afterthought, he picks his shield back up from under one of their feet and slings it over his back once more, frowning at the increased weight. It is only his unwillingness to carry around fifty pounds of armor on his back that keeps him from shedding the plate immediately.

TigerHunter
2011-06-05, 09:30 PM
Roh still stares at the door, fascinated.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-06, 10:30 AM
Reeme can be guided, not really showing resistance, more confusion.

Moose Man
2011-06-06, 12:33 PM
Beyond the door is more hall, but this hall leads to what seems to be an infirmary. The nurses there revive the dazzled, murmuring about the lord's tendency to cause mishaps to his clients. They speak of Drew, who flew off a balcony after a week, of Murai who mistook lye for his medicine, of Paul who was run through with an awl, and of many others. They shoo you into the dining room, where a butler is waiting to take your order.

Ajadea
2011-06-06, 02:01 PM
A chill runs down Lucas' spine as the nurses blithely rattle off the misfortunes of the guests who have come previously. At least none of these others have suffered immediate harm. By Pelor, those injuries...I will need to have words with Lord Darkloim. He doesn't resist as he is shooed into the dining room.

He pauses for only a fraction of a second before pulling out a chair for Elir. It almost looks like an instinctual action. "After you," Lucas says to Elir, nodding courteously.

PollyOliver
2011-06-06, 04:48 PM
The ghost girl smiles, though the expression does not change her dark eyes.

"Why, thank you, sir," she says, curtsying in reply before sitting.

Trodon
2011-06-07, 09:44 AM
Kerrik Shakes his head, then draws his mace and shield ready for trouble. "What, what happened?" He spins around a bit, being sure to note the exits and potential enemies.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-07, 12:07 PM
Reeme looks around, completely disoriented. His mind is still somewhat fixated on the door as he's drawing a blank on how he got here. The kobold's pretty sure it involved someone leading him away from it, and this is the accompanying room.
Anyways, he goes to take a seat in the dining room, trying to figure this stuff out.

Jallorn
2011-06-07, 04:10 PM
Mazuf holds his blank look for a moment before breaking into a string of colorful curses in more languages than he probably speaks (beyond the curses that is).

TigerHunter
2011-06-08, 05:32 PM
Roh thought he had seen a lot in his many years of wandering, but this was bizarre even for him. Nobles had a tendency to be careless with the lives of others, and some even reveled in it, but never with the creativity that this one seemed to possess. He'd been right to come here. This Lord was truly worth meeting.

"Wine. Your best, or at least, the best his Lordship is willing to serve."

Ajadea
2011-06-08, 05:45 PM
Lucas raises an eyebrow. "I would suggest that you mind your language," he says sharply. It doesn't sound remotely like a suggestion. But really, offending a lord was the absolute last thing Lucas wanted right now. I must tread carefully. I have no doubt now that he knows....

TigerHunter
2011-06-08, 08:59 PM
Roh glances at Lucas with bemusement. "Did I give offense in some manner? I must confess, the intricacies of etiquette escape me..."

Ajadea
2011-06-08, 09:16 PM
Lucas frowns. "I meant to address Mazuf." He had managed to pick up the man's name last night, not a difficult task considering that they were staying in the same inn. He was a...memorable character, but not one he was sure would be easy to work with. "While that litany of curses was certainly impressive, I do not think that Lord Darkloim would appreciate it."

Emperor Ing
2011-06-08, 10:56 PM
Reeme's head is still spinning. The door had a worse effect on him than others may realize. He's glancing about the room, confused. He manages to find his way to the dining room and sit down. Eeehh...w-where am I?

Ajadea
2011-06-14, 10:32 AM
"The dining hall of Darkloim Manor," Lucas says, shrugging. "Lord Darkloim, however, is not here yet."

OOC: We continuing?

Moose Man
2011-06-14, 01:31 PM
[snip]
... where a butler is waiting to take your order.Thou shalt order from our selection of salads!

Jallorn
2011-06-15, 12:35 AM
Your finest ale, my good man! Mazuf roars, seemingly having gotten his momentum back, Or- wait, they've probably got fancy wines and the like here, yeah? In that case, the best one the old boy'll let me drink!

Ajadea
2011-06-15, 01:18 AM
Lucas sighs and rakes a hand through his hair. "No alcohol for me, thank you," he says to the butler with a small nod. I'll have a fine enough headache without drink, tonight.

PollyOliver
2011-06-15, 01:32 AM
Elir smiles at the butler with wide, slightly unfocused eyes.

"I'll have wine, please," she says. "Something red. Very red."

Emperor Ing
2011-06-15, 07:29 AM
And...erhm..i'll take a sirloin steak sir.

Trodon
2011-06-15, 11:21 AM
"Nothing for me."

Moose Man
2011-06-15, 01:30 PM
As you wish. Anything for you, Master Roh?

TigerHunter
2011-06-15, 02:09 PM
Roh puts on a miffed expression. "Must I repeat myself? A glass of your finest wine, as I said."

Moose Man
2011-06-15, 10:51 PM
Sir, I'm sorry, but you'll have to speak up. Don't murmur, boy, it annoys people. Now speak up, what did you want?

OOC: :smalltongue:

Ajadea
2011-06-15, 10:53 PM
"Roh requested a glass of fine wine," Lucas says. There is an edge to his voice, and it seems to have gone a bit higher than normal. He looks like he wants to say more, but he does not.

Moose Man
2011-06-15, 10:55 PM
Ah, must have missed that. You are brought what you requested, then the lot of you are left alone to dine.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-16, 11:42 AM
Reeme begins to eat into the steak. He is suprisingly well-mannered for a kobold, making use of the knife and fork.

PollyOliver
2011-06-16, 12:22 PM
Elir picks up her glass, but instead of drinking it she looks through the dark red wine like one might a lens. She turns it on the butler and nods, and when he leaves peers through it at Lucas. She laughs--an echoey sort of giggle--and puts the glass down, but says nothing.

Jallorn
2011-06-17, 10:31 PM
Although he frequently lifts the glass to his mouth, Mazuf doesn't seem to be drinking, still, he must be, since the glass seems to be emptying. He doesn't say anything, however, seemingly waiting for someone else to break the ice, for once.

PollyOliver
2011-06-17, 10:34 PM
Elir swirls her wine, admiring the color, and then turns to Mazuf. She studies him intently through the glass.

"I am called Elir," she announces in a floaty sort of voice, still looking through the wine at him as if it reveals something terribly interesting.

TigerHunter
2011-06-19, 05:32 PM
Roh sips at his wine, quietly observing.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-19, 06:19 PM
So.... Reeme speaks up. His mental haze clearing up. Any ideas as to what the barkeep...erhm...how do I say it...he knew my name, i'm quite certain I never introduced myself to him. What's with that?

Jallorn
2011-06-20, 12:51 AM
Mazuf, Mazuf responds to Elir, Hey, did'joo ever hear the one about the human wizard, the orc, and the demon?

Ajadea
2011-06-20, 01:12 AM
So.... Reeme speaks up. His mental haze clearing up. Any ideas as to what the barkeep...erhm...how do I say it...he knew my name, i'm quite certain I never introduced myself to him. What's with that?

"I would assume it is simply yet another symptom of this town's many oddities," Lucas says. There is a slight edge to his voice. "Most everyone in this place knows more than they should." He stares at his hands for only a moment before removing his gauntlets methodically. The gauntlets disappear into his pack, and a few moments later, the elbow and armguards follow.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-20, 08:11 AM
Surely, but...how? I wonder? My name is Reeme in case you're wondering.

Trodon
2011-06-20, 10:38 AM
Kerrik sit quietly, eyeing everyone. He finally speaks up.

"I'm Kerrik, I lead a small mercenary group for three years, up until... well i don't anymore." He looks away, with a tear in his eye.

PollyOliver
2011-06-20, 11:37 AM
"He seemed to know many things he shouldn't. Perhaps we even told him ourselves, and do not remember," Elir says. She puts down her wineglass and turns back to Mazuf. "And no, I don't believe I have."

Emperor Ing
2011-06-22, 07:35 PM
Reeme shakes his head and cuts himself a slice of steak. I doubt it. Anyone else notice that people seem to fear this guy?

PollyOliver
2011-06-22, 07:42 PM
"Likely because no one has ever laid eyes on him, that I've heard tell," Elir says. "And because he can poison the air around him," she adds brightly. "Probably that too." She laughs to herself.

Jallorn
2011-06-23, 01:06 AM
Well, if he has never been seen, how do they know he can poison the air around him? Mazuf drops his previous conversation thread for the new one, Nah, I'm sure he'll turn out to be a kindly old gentleman who has an alliance with a faction of spies tasked with watching the darkness, and has summoned us here because we are the heroes fated to destroy said darkness once and for all.

PollyOliver
2011-06-23, 01:13 AM
Elir snorts with laughter, all daintiness suddenly forgotten. She turns her gaze on Mazuf, her perfectly blank eyes, blacker than black, meeting his. The rest of her face is almost translucent, but her eyes look solid--and her teeth. There is a hint of a smile, though not a happy one, at the corners of her mouth, but the expression does not touch her eyes at all.

"Whyever would we want to do that?"

Jallorn
2011-06-23, 01:21 AM
Well, surely they read you the old tales of heroes when you were younger, yes? They always seem to end up with a treasure, or a completely faithful, beautiful maiden, or some other good stuff, it's a job that pays off well.

PollyOliver
2011-06-23, 01:29 AM
"Yes," Elir says in a distant voice. Her eyes drift, staring at a point somewhere over Mazuf's shoulder.

"Those things always end so well." It is hard to tell whether her tone is sarcastic or instead very serious.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-23, 07:56 PM
I am still not sure, though I think this might be a bit rude, since we're talking behind his back.

Moose Man
2011-06-25, 06:56 PM
Actually, you're talking in front of me.

PollyOliver
2011-06-25, 06:59 PM
"Told you," Elir says to no one in particular in a self-satisfied voice. Then she giggles again.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-25, 07:15 PM
Reeme jerks, very much startled at the previously unknown Lord making himself known. ACK!! Oh, my apologies milord.

Ajadea
2011-06-25, 07:30 PM
If Lucas is startled, he makes no motion to hint at it. "Greetings Lord Darkloim. Given recent events and our current situation, I find that I have no taste for all the extra formalities, so I believe we can just get to the most pertinent topic now." His tone is rather casual, considering the fact a lord just appeared right in front of them. "Why have you invited all of us here?"

Moose Man
2011-06-25, 07:53 PM
The lord hasn't actually appeared, but the voice still speaks.
hghgRemee, tis fine, you didn't have knowledge of my watching. 'Lucas,' I thought that I told you why I invited you here in the letter. To discuss a job offer. The Lord sounds definetely masculine, and has a familiar, but unnameable accent. He doesn't speak very loudly, but his words seem to pierce and destroy all existing sound.

Ajadea
2011-06-25, 07:58 PM
Lucas stiffens ever so slightly in his chair. He actually looks unnerved now, though his expression is still closer to an impression of a brick wall than anything else. "Exactly what sort of job?"

Moose Man
2011-06-25, 08:04 PM
hghgI'm sort of a dodgy person, so I will discuss this in the morning, as these walls, at night, have ears. You are welcome to stay the night. When you are finished, a butler will escort you to your rooms.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-25, 08:16 PM
Something puts off Reeme however. Wait..no. Can I presume you will answer questions in the morning?

Moose Man
2011-06-25, 08:22 PM
hghgI can answer questions now, but will be unhelpful with certain answers. I cannot guarantee that you will be at all satisfied with my answers.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-25, 08:28 PM
Okay. Well, how do you know us?

Moose Man
2011-06-25, 09:45 PM
HghgI know people with tragic stories.

Emperor Ing
2011-06-26, 06:44 AM
((hghg in invisible text?))
So how do you know our stories?

Moose Man
2011-06-26, 12:37 PM
((It's for a TAB effect))
HghgThat's a question for the morning.

TigerHunter
2011-06-30, 05:53 PM
Roh finally breaks his silence. "I feel we are owed some explanation as to why we were brought here. Even if a full account need wait until morning, you could at least give us a general idea."

Ajadea
2011-07-02, 11:20 PM
Lucas sighs. Negotiating with Darkloim seemed like a futile task at best. The man didn't even bother to show up and honor them with his presence. Really, it would not be a particularly notable violation of noble etiquette if he were to leave right now, without another word. But the task could be urgent, dire even, and leaving without knowing what it was would grate on his nerves to no end. Curiousity will be my downfall one day...at least if I have any farther to fall...

Lucas stands up abruptly and snatches up his pack. Without another word, he leaves the dining hall for the infirmary. There, he silently lends his assistance until the butlers comes to lead him to his rooms.

Moose Man
2011-07-03, 10:50 AM
HghgYou have been brought here to test out invention of mine. It only works against those who have lost someone and have watched them die. You guys fit the bill.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-03, 12:36 PM
The kobold begins to get pretty disturbed by this.
Can we get an idea of what inventon this is?

Moose Man
2011-07-03, 02:26 PM
Sounding much like an unnerving child, he says with a grin in his voice, It's a secret!

Emperor Ing
2011-07-03, 04:01 PM
Uhh..well..what does it do then?

Moose Man
2011-07-03, 07:57 PM
HghgYou'll see!

Jallorn
2011-07-03, 09:06 PM
Well that's not ominous at all. Whatever, we're not going to get any more out of him. Where are we sleeping?

Emperor Ing
2011-07-03, 10:01 PM
Uhh...yeah. I'm kind of wondering that too.

PollyOliver
2011-07-03, 10:04 PM
"Do those walls have ears too?" Elir asks. "I hope they haven't eyes, at least."

Moose Man
2011-07-04, 04:13 PM
You'll be sleeping in your chosen rooms. You can share a room with another. The butlers will escort you, if you wish.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-05, 07:07 AM
Well, may I be excused? I want first dibs on a room then.

Jallorn
2011-07-05, 11:12 AM
I'll bunk with any of the girls who're interested, Mazuf half-jokes, looking around him with a cocky smile.

TigerHunter
2011-07-05, 01:05 PM
"I need only trance four hours. I believe I shall remain awake a while longer."

Moose Man
2011-07-05, 02:56 PM
HghgRemee, you may be excused. I respect your decision, Roh. Mazuf, the girls here are respectable. Do not expect them to suit your needs.

Emperor Ing
2011-07-05, 08:04 PM
He hops down from his chair, his diminutive stature being even more apparent.
Thank you my lord.
He turns towards any nearby butlers to direct him towards his room.

PollyOliver
2011-07-11, 02:22 AM
"Is there any other information you can give tonight?" Elir asks. "And what kind of ears, praytell?"