PDA

View Full Version : Armor in NWN 2

MeeposFire
2011-05-05, 01:25 AM
I was wondering in neverwinter nights 2 are there any medium armors better than the light armor (in terms of magic of course)? I was thinking of making a bard and I was trying to figure out whether it was worth trying to get medium armor prof and battle caster since in standard 3.5 light armor is essentially as good (or at times better) than light armor and those feats are just not worth it.

holywhippet
2011-05-05, 05:35 AM
I'd try one of the guides on www.gamefaqs.com for this kind of thing.

Ozymandias
2011-05-05, 08:21 AM
This should probably go in the gaming forum.

Armor Prof - Medium and Battle Caster aren't worth two feats. Keep in mind that Mage Armor (and bracers of armor) adds +enhancement to AC instead of +Armor, so it stacks with e.g. leather but not e.g. +7 leather. It's basically a buffed-up magic vestment, same with greater.

Anyway, +4 AC (less if you have 18+ DEX, which isn't unfeasible after items) isn't worth two feats.

If you're getting armor proficiency elsewhere, like in a Bard 8/Fighter 2/RDD 10 build, it's not a bad idea; mithral fullplate + haste + mage armor + natural ac from RDD = pretty good AC overall. And you still get to kill things, and have some good skills. If you are going to do something like this make sure you max perform so you can get inspire courage, which is a on/off thing in NWN2, essentially giving the bard full BaB except for # of attacks.

The main thing is some 'bard' builds don't really use their spells, so in for example Bard 1/Fighter 4/RDD10/Barb 5 you should probably just eat the ASF, because your dazes aren't exactly doing to be doing much anyway.

As for items in the OC, there really aren't many good light armors, unfortunately, except the EK chain shirt, which is good only because it ignores ASF anyway. There are some decent breastplates, but a custom enchanted Mithral Fullplate is pretty much tops (and medium).

The Boz
2011-05-05, 08:28 AM
Wearing anything other than light is not a bright idea in NWN 2. And there's even a light armor somewhere with a good enhancement on it with absolutely no penalties, if I'm not mistaken. Grab that, and put something more useful on your hands. Like gloves of dexterity.

MeeposFire
2011-05-05, 03:30 PM
Thank you. I had a hunch the feats weren't worth it (by the way the guides say "pick up medium armor by multiclassing and pick up battle caster" which I found dubious since they only mentioned it for being able to wear "better" armor rather than a particular set of magic armor which is why I decided to get some more practical answers). So my thought was "is there any specific medium magic armor that had something so special that it was better than the light armor that it would be worth spending the feat for battle caster". In original NWN1 (before expansions) it was worth it since the heavier armors had haste on them that light armor did not (and haste gave an extra attack and +4 AC back then which made it much better until later they gave haste on other items).