PDA

View Full Version : Is the chakram hidden somewhere in the books?

Magic Myrmidon
2011-05-05, 02:17 AM
I've spent the last hour or so googling and searching random books, but I just can't find it. I suppose I could probably reflavor throwing knives, and make it slashing, but I'd rather not if it's written.

Anyone have any leads?

Amiria
2011-05-05, 02:33 AM
I know that it is in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and some list tells me that it is also in the Arms & Equipment Guide. Both books are 3.0 but that shouldn't be a problem.

Sir_Wulf
2011-05-05, 02:48 AM
If you do Pathfinder, it's in the Advanced Players' Guide.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/chakram-common

Benly
2011-05-05, 04:29 AM
Planar Handbook has the annulat, which is essentially a gussied-up chakram.

Greenish
2011-05-05, 05:26 AM
Secrets of Sarlona has the Cutting Wheels (on the left):

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/sarlona_gallery/102999.jpg

Darrin
2011-05-05, 05:32 AM
Chakram is in the Arms & Equipment Guide. 1d4 damage, crit x3.

Planar Handbook has the annulat, which is essentially a gussied-up chakram.

Better damage and crit range: 1d6 damage, 19-20/x2.

Neraphim treat annulats as martial weapons, which, conveniently enough, all neraphim are proficient with, since the outsider type is proficient with all simple and martial weapons.

ajkkjjk52
2011-05-05, 09:34 AM
The Pathfinder Chakram, mentioned above, has better stats than either of those. d8 damage, x2, 30 foot increment.

Aaaaand it's a martial weapon.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons

Tokuhara
2011-05-05, 10:19 AM
Okay, dumb question: Can you use an Anulant in melee? I kinda was brainstorming an Axel-like character (like from KH2) and making him a swordsage with desert wind maneuvers.

BluesEclipse
2011-05-05, 10:32 AM
Annulats are ranged only. Also, it wasn't noted, but an Annulat's attack automatically imposes a -2 to the target's AC against that attack.

I have a character who uses them as his primary ranged weapon...

Tokuhara
2011-05-05, 10:40 AM
Annulats are ranged only. Also, it wasn't noted, but an Annulat's attack automatically imposes a -2 to the target's AC against that attack.

I have a character who uses them as his primary ranged weapon...

bugger... So my Axel build is debunked before it could have been realized

Veyr
2011-05-05, 11:40 AM
bugger... So my Axel build is debunked before it could have been realized
The Cutting Wheels in Secrets of Sarlona (pictured above) are melee weapons, not ranged. They're kind of smallish; I'm not familiar with this Axel character, but are we talking one big bladed hoop (that green, feathery girl from Soul Calibur III is what I'm thinking of here), or a pair of smaller loops?

Tokuhara
2011-05-05, 12:24 PM
The Cutting Wheels in Secrets of Sarlona (pictured above) are melee weapons, not ranged. They're kind of smallish; I'm not familiar with this Axel character, but are we talking one big bladed hoop (that green, feathery girl from Soul Calibur III is what I'm thinking of here), or a pair of smaller loops?

He used chakrams and fought in both melee and ranged with them, almost like bladed knuckles

this is a photo of his weapons:

http://images.wikia.com/kingdomhearts/images/6/66/Chakrams.png

he would both throw them and slice/dice with them

Edit: and you are thinking of Tira from SC3/4

Veyr
2011-05-05, 12:42 PM
Yeah, Tira.

Anyway, considering that they're paired weapons, the Cutting Wheels look ideal. Stick the Throwing property on them, and you should be good to go.

Tokuhara
2011-05-05, 12:48 PM
Yeah, Tira.

Anyway, considering that they're paired weapons, the Cutting Wheels look ideal. Stick the Throwing property on them, and you should be good to go.

Throwing, Returning, and Flaming (he uses fire magic afterall)...

Cog
2011-05-05, 01:13 PM
Only if that target is benefiting from a cover bonus to AC.

Greenish
2011-05-05, 03:15 PM
Anyway, considering that they're paired weapons, the Cutting Wheels look ideal. Stick the Throwing property on them, and you should be good to go.Cutting wheels already have 10' range increment for throwing, so Throwing enchantment wouldn't do anything. :smallconfused:

Veyr
2011-05-05, 03:19 PM
Oh, they do? Whoops, OK, even better!

Tokuhara
2011-05-05, 03:38 PM
Cutting wheels already have 10' range increment for throwing, so Throwing enchantment wouldn't do anything. :smallconfused:

Okay, so just Returning and Flaming Burst?

Diarmuid
2011-05-05, 03:40 PM
Potentially the enchantment that increases the Range increment so you're not chewing up a ton of range penalties.

Tokuhara
2011-05-05, 03:43 PM
Potentially the enchantment that increases the Range increment so you're not chewing up a ton of range penalties.

I cannot remember that one for the life of me. Axel barely trows his 20 feet at the longest in-game

Psyborg
2011-05-05, 03:53 PM
Distance. (Darn near mandatory on thrown weapons.)
Seeking. (Ignore concealment.)
Bloodseeking. (Ignore cover including total cover; doesn't work on undead/constructs/objects/etc.)
Teleporting. (Better than Returning, if you can afford it.)
Last Resort. (Best on kobold swordsages, jermlaine factota, and anyone expecting to be swallowed/grappled. Still worth considering.)

EDIT: Also, Everbright. Immune to acid and rust damage. Handy if you have a malicious DM.

Magic Myrmidon
2011-05-05, 08:40 PM
Awesome. The DM let me use the pathfinder chakram. I appreciate the help, guys.

Sir_Wulf
2011-05-05, 09:46 PM
Awesome. The DM let me use the pathfinder chakram. I appreciate the help, guys.

It's less damaging, but Pathfinder also has a weapon called the starknife, which would serve admirably for those star-shaped bladed rings.

DLoFunk
2011-05-06, 09:59 PM
It's less damaging, but Pathfinder also has a weapon called the starknife, which would serve admirably for those star-shaped bladed rings.

Oh god, that makes me think of Krull. ::shudder::