PDA

View Full Version : A sickening thought

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-05, 12:31 PM
so, we know from the Oracle (and please don't let this disolve into another the Oracle is a sham post, as he has yet to be wrong, by siple fact rather than opinion) that Durkon will return to the dwarven lands posthumorously.

now, we also know that the big three of team evil have the ability to create undead, and two of them do it for kicks/creepy motherhood-necrophillia (redcloak hasn't shown it to be his prefered strategy as much)

we also know that Xykon is going to be withing somethingthousand meters of Giriad's gate first, so it's reasonable to assume that he'd headed there, and will make an appearance, even if it's late, despite if the Linear Guild are the main enemies for this arc

we can also assume, due to drama/steriotypical fantasy defend these X artifacts, thatthey'll probably end up at Kragor's gate, which is in the dwarven lands.

so, the theory that popped into my head (which I hope is wrong, but everything the oracale has predicted so far is rather douchey, if correct) is that Durkon will return to the dwarven lands, as a zombie/heucava/undead something or ever when Xykon attacks the last gate.

hopefully not though

TimelordSimone
2011-05-05, 01:06 PM
I think this is presumed to be the case by at least some people.
Fits with the prophecy in On The Origin of PCs as well.

(Aside: if Durkon died, and was then Raised in Dwarven Lands, that would count as 'returning posthumously', right? :smallwink: )

Zevox
2011-05-05, 01:10 PM
This is a theory that has been brought up before, and is not entirely unpopular. I put it together myself a long while ago, after realizing that both Durkon's prophecy from the Oracle and his prophecy from On the Origin of PCs refer to the same event: his next return to the Dwarven Lands. Personally, I consider it entirely plausible and expect it has a decent chance of occurring.

Zevox

Fire
2011-05-05, 01:23 PM
He can be not the only one of the main cast to animated li some sort of undead: undeads don't (usually) breath...

Squark
2011-05-05, 01:37 PM
He can be not the only one of the main cast to animated li some sort of undead: undeads don't (usually) breath...

Ugh... Stop flogging the deceased equine, already.

Goosefarble
2011-05-05, 03:21 PM
What's the prophecy in Origin?

Spoilers it so people who are not as curious as me can not look if they choose to :D

Talvereaux
2011-05-05, 04:13 PM
What's the prophecy in Origin?

Spoilers it so people who are not as curious as me can not look if they choose to :D

According the Temple of Loki: Should Durkon return to the Dwarven lands, disaster would come with him.

The High Priest of Thor sent him off on a mission he would never return from in attempt to dodge the bullet, knowing him to be loyal enough to follow the orders even if it kept out of the Dwarven Homelands for the rest of his life.

TimelordSimone
2011-05-05, 05:32 PM
According the Temple of Loki: Should Durkon return to the Dwarven lands, disaster would come with him.

The High Priest of Thor sent him off on a mission he would never return from in attempt to dodge the bullet, knowing him to be loyal enough to follow the orders even if it kept out of the Dwarven Homelands for the rest of his life.

Odin, not Loki.

ThePhantasm
2011-05-05, 06:16 PM
Durkon will return to the dwarven lands posthumorously.

Well that won't be funny at all!!

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-05, 07:11 PM

leave. now:smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-05, 07:51 PM
I was always a little iffy on the idea of an undead Durkon being part of the prophecy, but now I imagine Roy seeing his best friend--who hated the undead, had a deep cultural reverence for the dead, and wanted nothing more than to have a proper burial--being disrespected like that, and going all Lou Ferrigno on Tsukiko or whoever, and it is awesome.

Jallorn
2011-05-05, 10:16 PM

That's "Should Durkon return home..." Which is why the high priest sent him out rather than keeping him from leaving in the first place: it was vague enough that it might just mean when he next returns to his house.

Talvereaux
2011-05-05, 11:10 PM
ah, whoops, that's what I get for going off memory

Swordpriest
2011-05-06, 01:35 AM
The thing is, he can also die and be resurrected, and the prophecy will still be fulfilled. In fact, this can happen any number of times, and the conditions will still be met.

Niknokitueu
2011-05-06, 07:21 AM
so, we know from the Oracle ... that Durkon will return to the dwarven lands posthumorously.
The Joys of AD&D. A land where you can be awarded a pothumous medal, and can then go up and receive it in person.

Oh, for the simple old days, where death really meant death...

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Psyren
2011-05-06, 07:44 AM

...I no longer have a purpose in this thread.

*Gathers cloak about himself, and sets off into the night.*

StyxMotors
2011-05-06, 12:29 PM
This discussion brings up a question - we know of the elven lands and their military forces, but have the dwarves been involved in similar politics and warfare? This leads me to wonder: just as the elves have been drawn into battle because of Xykon, will the dwarves join as well? And that could be what the posthumous disaster will be!