PDA

View Full Version : Giving the players an edge in an epic-level showdown

Ursus the Grim
2011-05-05, 01:15 PM
I'm running a monstrous campaign, now at roughly 13th level. Players are high-powered, using the 5d6 (lowest two) method. They've proven themselves capable of handling level 16 encounters and going one v one with a CR 14 sunwyrm.

In this campaign, a Worm that Walks is trying to manipulate a war between the civilized and monstrous races so he can swoop in and rule both sides, while the Great Blue Wyrm that rules the monstrous races seeks to protect his territory. I anticipate the players will discover the Worm's plot and warn the Wyrm. Once the Wyrm realizes that the Worm still walks, he'll fly to its tower and confront it.

Originally, the players were to head to the Worm's tower and join the fray, either taking down both enemies or choosing a side. Unfortunately, real life events have caused the pace to pick up. The Worm had been keeping the Tarrasque bound and perpetually bleeding under its tower, which was serving to fuel the Worm's considerable powers above and beyond what one would expect. The players would have a chance to gorge themselves on the gruesome source of power, which would give them a great boost in power (and a transformation into a new tarrasque if someone ate the entire heart.)

However, that was intended for them at at least 18th level. Even if the two bosses are already heavily wounded, I can't imagine them being able to do much. The age and size of the wyrm and the level of the worm are both essentially set in stone at this point, but I can't really imagine wrapping this up any other way, and I don't know how to give them major buffs without hand-waving. Thoughts? Suggestions?

ThirdEmperor
2011-05-05, 01:18 PM
Ancient magical artifacts that grant free levels? Divine intervention? Just a few ideas.

Ursus the Grim
2011-05-05, 01:19 PM
The artifact is a possiblity, considering their current location, but I'd like to avoid deus ex machina.

Morghen
2011-05-05, 02:39 PM
I'd suggest giving them allies in the fight.

Some gang of do-gooders (or baddies looking to take their chunk of the loots) shows up and takes on one of the bosses for a while and gets wiped out (or flees) about one round after the PCs polish off the other boss.

Pisha
2011-05-05, 03:04 PM
You said real-world issues caused the conflict to speed up, but is it feasible to push it back some? What my GM did in a similar situation was put the Big Bad inside an area that was so heavily shrouded in magical energies, the only way to get at it was to perform a crazy custom-made ritual. We had to a) find the ritual, and b) collect the spell components, all of which involved some major diplomacy as well as traveling to two separate planes. Along the way, surprise surprise, we leveled to the point where we could take him. If you don't mind delaying for a bit, you could do something similar. Make it so that the PC's have to complete certain side-quests before they can confront the bad guy, and just ensure that those quests are enough to level them.

Alternately, figure out an excuse for them to find level-inappropriate treasure. Really cool toys can sometimes swing the difference. (Don't just give it to them, of course, make 'em work for it - but you knew that.)

Bobby Archer
2011-05-05, 06:49 PM
Depending on your players' inventiveness and how comfortable you are with improvising, you could put the how in the players' hands. Impress upon them how outclassed they are in this fight. Encourage them to think outside the box to try and come up with some way to even the odds. To a certain type of player, trying to figure out how to defeat something that they have no chance against in a stand-up fight could be a great puzzle they'd remember long after the campaign is over.

Pisha
2011-05-05, 07:12 PM
Depending on your players' inventiveness and how comfortable you are with improvising, you could put the how in the players' hands. Impress upon them how outclassed they are in this fight. Encourage them to think outside the box to try and come up with some way to even the odds. To a certain type of player, trying to figure out how to defeat something that they have no chance against in a stand-up fight could be a great puzzle they'd remember long after the campaign is over.

Ok, changed my mind. Ignore what I said; do this. :smallbiggrin: