PDA

View Full Version : too awesome not to ask about...

big teej
2011-05-05, 02:55 PM
greetings playgrounders,

a few nights ago, I was channel surfing and came upon the movie "role models"

specifically, the giant larp scene at the end of the movie.

I was gripped by a massive desire to find such an event and participate.

so I ask you...

where can I find such an event, and where can I find a durable -safe to hit people with- axe or hammer?

must.
find.

IT LOOKS SO MUCH FUN!!!

I'm giddy just thinking about it....

CrimsonAngel
2011-05-05, 02:56 PM
I get all my foam weapons from Nerf.

big teej
2011-05-05, 03:01 PM
I get all my foam weapons from Nerf.

would those fly at a larp event? :smallconfused:

Ranger Mattos
2011-05-05, 04:23 PM
I believe that the LARPing group my cousin is with is Belegarth (http://www.belegarth.com/).

Icewalker
2011-05-05, 04:32 PM
would those fly at a larp event? :smallconfused:

Depends entirely on the group. At ours? Nope. But we also make our weapons for our events, you aren't expected to bring them.

Specifically, this is Westfinder, we're in Berkeley in California. There's a similar, legally unrelated organization, Wayfinder, which runs longer overnight summer camps in upstate New York rather than single events like we do on the West coast.

We are a bit smaller, (Wayfinder is big though) and we both tend to focus less on 'lets hit people with foam things' and more on the RP and character stuff. Which is basically to say, there's even more fun stuff than just the combat. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2011-05-05, 04:50 PM
It really depends on your location, if you could tell us your general area?

Anxe
2011-05-05, 10:23 PM
I've heard Nero is good. Here's their website. Nero (http://www.nerolarp.com/)

big teej
2011-05-05, 10:59 PM
It really depends on your location, if you could tell us your general area?

that would help wouldn't it?

anywhere in the area of Wingate University, Wingate, Monroe, and Charlotte North Carolina would be awesome.

grimbold
2011-05-06, 02:20 PM
its easy to get people to larp actually
easier than getting them to play D&D
just say you want to have a lord of the rings theme party
and tell people that you're going to re-enact battles
i was amazed when it worked for me

Dr.Epic
2011-05-06, 02:27 PM
Well, if you're going to LARP, get ready to lose some of your dignity. I've done, and as much fun as the idea of bringing a new dimension to D&D and getting exercise outside is, you realize it's kind of pathetic running around with weapons made of foam and plumbing supplies in a really bad costume with green facepaint on because you're supposed to be an orc or something. Don't take what I'm saying too harshly diehard LARPers, as there still is a part of me that wants to do it, but you got to realize it is kind of embarrassing due to the cheesiness and poor costumes.

If you're still interested, go a web search for local LARPS, but don't be surprised if the closest camp site is over and hour's drive away. Also, if you go to a college you could take to student activities and see if you can make it an official club. There's a club here devoted Humans v. Zombies and they also do a rebellion game where you get to use foam melee weapons.

Icewalker
2011-05-06, 05:31 PM
Well, if you're going to LARP, get ready to lose some of your dignity. I've done, and as much fun as the idea of bringing a new dimension to D&D and getting exercise outside is, you realize it's kind of pathetic running around with weapons made of foam and plumbing supplies in a really bad costume with green facepaint on because you're supposed to be an orc or something. Don't take what I'm saying too harshly diehard LARPers, as there still is a part of me that wants to do it, but you got to realize it is kind of embarrassing due to the cheesiness and poor costumes.

If you're still interested, go a web search for local LARPS, but don't be surprised if the closest camp site is over and hour's drive away. Also, if you go to a college you could take to student activities and see if you can make it an official club. There's a club here devoted Humans v. Zombies and they also do a rebellion game where you get to use foam melee weapons.

Again, depends on where you're doing it. Like I mentioned Westfinder and Wayfinder focus on the RP aspect, which means much less absurdity, much more legitimate improv acting, and quite good costuming and writing. But regardless, because of the reputation that 'LARP' carries with it, yeah, you'll probably still need to be ready to lose some dignity around people who don't understand what it's like. :smalltongue:

grimbold
2011-05-06, 06:06 PM

Dr Epic has it right
you are going to lose everything when people see you LARP but it is totally worth it

ForzaFiori
2011-05-06, 08:09 PM
There's a group of people at my college who do thing similar to larping, just minus the roleplaying. essentially we make foam weapons and then beat the piss out of each other. Pretty dang fun actually, and slightly less loss of dignity.

big teej
2011-05-06, 08:24 PM
There's a group of people at my college who do thing similar to larping, just minus the roleplaying. essentially we make foam weapons and then beat the piss out of each other. Pretty dang fun actually, and slightly less loss of dignity.

even better!
how many waivers are involved? :smallbiggrin:

grimbold
2011-05-06, 08:29 PM

this is a good alternative if you want to LARP in a non nerd community

Traab
2011-05-06, 09:44 PM
LARP GODS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ04mfAY2BU)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-06, 10:40 PM
LARP GODS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ04mfAY2BU)

Wrong THESE are the real LARP Gods (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv18y2ACwEM)

You have no idea on how much I want to go to >_<

Ranger Mattos
2011-05-07, 09:48 AM
Wrong THESE are the real LARP Gods (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv18y2ACwEM)

You have no idea on how much I want to go to >_<

Ok, now I've got another reason to be mad that my school doesn't teach German anymore :smallsigh:

Lonely Tylenol
2011-05-08, 12:36 AM
Two years ago, during Spring Break, about three dozen kids from the college (of various walks of life, social groups, etc) got together in a mixed field/forest area with homemade weapons crafted from PVC pipe and foam and just had at it. We played for three consecutive days, whacking the living snot out of each other with staves, swords, shields, and even a bow and arrow set (which didn't fly well, because a huge foam tip isn't that aerodynamic). One guy even made a huge sword we just called the "Sephiroth sword", because it was too large to really be practical, but was truly frightening; he was upwards of 300lbs himself, and swung it at full force. If I wasn't using a double-headed staff, he would have clobbered me!

The general rule of thumb is "you can't cast Fireball IRL", so it was really just martial combat, but if that's your thing then it's usually not hard to get a bunch of bored college kids together and do your thing, especially if you live in a small, remote island.

If you're looking for something with more structure, the Society of Creative Anachronism holds medieval themed events and is literally a society all its own; within these events, they have a series of tournaments where people use realistic (but still foam) arms and armor to fight in single combat. I've never been, but I have a few friends that are in the SCA, and they love it.

big teej
2011-05-08, 01:04 AM
Two years ago, during Spring Break, about three dozen kids from the college (of various walks of life, social groups, etc) got together in a mixed field/forest area with homemade weapons crafted from PVC pipe and foam and just had at it. We played for three consecutive days, whacking the living snot out of each other with staves, swords, shields, and even a bow and arrow set (which didn't fly well, because a huge foam tip isn't that aerodynamic). One guy even made a huge sword we just called the "Sephiroth sword", because it was too large to really be practical, but was truly frightening; he was upwards of 300lbs himself, and swung it at full force. If I wasn't using a double-headed staff, he would have clobbered me!

The general rule of thumb is "you can't cast Fireball IRL", so it was really just martial combat, but if that's your thing then it's usually not hard to get a bunch of bored college kids together and do your thing, especially if you live in a small, remote island.

If you're looking for something with more structure, the Society of Creative Anachronism holds medieval themed events and is literally a society all its own; within these events, they have a series of tournaments where people use realistic (but still foam) arms and armor to fight in single combat. I've never been, but I have a few friends that are in the SCA, and they love it.

this is an awesome starting place for what I'm after, but do they organize any mass melee` events?

skywalker
2011-05-08, 01:19 AM
even better!
how many waivers are involved? :smallbiggrin:

Ah. Yes.. About those... Waivers...

Hmmm.

Aside, the most random group of people did "historical combat" at my University. I would see them on one of my class breaks, going at each other. My favorite to watch was the spear, it usually got owned, no matter who was using it. And yes, you could just run up and join, essentially. Only problem was, it was right in the middle of my 3-hour class. :smallfrown:

Oh well. It is quite a bit of fun, really. My friend and I have gone at it with his LARP swords (bought because they looked pretty?) on occasion, altho usually at parties where we're drunk and people are cheering us on. Also, unless you enforce rules and take it outside, it just becomes two guys posting like a fencing match.

Icewalker
2011-05-08, 01:47 AM
Aside, the most random group of people did "historical combat" at my University. I would see them on one of my class breaks, going at each other. My favorite to watch was the spear, it usually got owned, no matter who was using it. And yes, you could just run up and join, essentially. Only problem was, it was right in the middle of my 3-hour class. :smallfrown:

Funny. My friend destroys everybody around him whenever you put a spear in his hands. I think he just knows how to handle it well. Also, he's pretty big, so it doesn't slow him down much.

Erloas
2011-05-08, 09:06 AM
SCA doesn't use foam for any of their weapons (well boffer but thats mostly for kids pre 16) and the amount of foam under armor varies by the person. I've only got two foam underpads currently and I'm going to be replacing them out soon, even my helm uses a linen and wool lining rather then a foam lining.
The weapons are all ratan (like bamboo but solid) which are fairly close in approximate weight to steel swords, though obviously some of the dynamics of use change a bit. The armor runs the gamut of construction materials but all are fairly substantial because fighting is done at full speed and full force.

this is an awesome starting place for what I'm after, but do they organize any mass melee` events?
Yes, there are lots of melees. I think Pennsic War (http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn40/) is fairly close to where you live and that is the largest even in the SCA, generally over 10,000 people in attendance, and battles with hundreds of people per side. Of course there will be a lot of closer and smaller events around wherever you live, some melee, some tournaments and some arts and sciences.