PDA

View Full Version : Explaining things...need help

Beelzebub1111
2011-05-05, 03:50 PM
My second edition DM is trying his hand at 3.5 and there are afew concepts that he doesn't quite understand and since I'm not good at explaining them maybe you could help...

1) The importance of Wealth by Level
2) The difference between "broken" and "good" (in this case the dispute came up for the alternate class feature "immediate magic:Abrupt Jaunt")
3)Why players are capable of (and should be alowed to) craft magic items
4)How cost balances power
5)Why certain energy types are not more powerful than others in a game brwaking sense (acid to fire)
6)How enviroments alter the CR of encounters, even with peparation (underwater)

Diarmuid
2011-05-05, 03:55 PM
#1: WBL is useful if he intends to use the CR/EL system to try to make "balanced" encounters for the party. Straying too far from WBL will make the monsters' CR's not mean much anymore.

#2: are you trying to explain that AJ is "broken" or "good"?

#3: They were capable and allowed to do so in 2nd edition...there just werent any hard/fast rules governing how it could be done. Those have simply been written down in a single place now (as opposed to have some in Tome of Magic, more in The Magister, and yet more and sometimes contradictary stuff in the various Volo's guides).

#4: Not enough context for a response

#5: Are you explaining they should or shouldnt be more powerful?

#6: This is explained specifically in the DMG, have him read it

Tvtyrant
2011-05-05, 03:59 PM
My second edition DM is trying his hand at 3.5 and there are afew concepts that he doesn't quite understand and since I'm not good at explaining them maybe you could help...

1) The importance of Wealth by Level
2) The difference between "broken" and "good" (in this case the dispute came up for the alternate class feature "immediate magic:Abrupt Jaunt")
3)Why players are capable of (and should be alowed to) craft magic items
4)How cost balances power
5)Why certain energy types are not more powerful than others in a game brwaking sense (acid to fire)
6)How enviroments alter the CR of encounters, even with peparation (underwater)

1. This is important because it allows the muggles to use magic. Without magic items the muggle has to walk during combat :O
2. The power level of the group compared to the ability. If your playing monks then Abrupt Jaunt may well be broken.
3. Crafting items allows the Wizard/Cleric/casters to become more powerful by making items until they lose a level and the catching up the next encounter. :P
4. It does not in D&D, as XP is a river.
5. Sonic is in fact more powerful then others as creatures are not resistant to it. You can point out that outside of creatures resistance to an energy type and the effects of said energy type on items there isn't a difference though. 5d6 is 5d6.
6. Environments alter the ECL of the encounter, not the CR of the monster.

Diarmuid
2011-05-05, 04:05 PM
Encounter level most certainly does impact the XP of an encounter.

CR of the creatures involved is only one aspect of an encounter. Favorable conditions adds to the EL and the EL is what determines the XP. Check page 39 in the DMG.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-05, 04:07 PM
Encounter level most certainly does impact the XP of an encounter.

CR of the creatures involved is only one aspect of an encounter. Favorable conditions adds to the EL and the EL is what determines the XP. Check page 39 in the DMG.

I have no idea what your talking about :smalltongue: Thank you for the page # though!

nedz
2011-05-05, 07:29 PM
#1: WBL is useful if he intends to use the CR/EL system to try to make "balanced" encounters for the party. Straying too far from WBL will make the monsters' CR's not mean much anymore.

Have you read MM2 ?
Ok thats just the worst offender but seriously the CR system is all over the place.