PDA

View Full Version : Nastiest Living Spells

Angry Bob
2011-05-05, 06:33 PM
I threw a living Blade Barrier/Mind Fog at my PCs. They barely made it out alive. I feel like there are much more unpleasant options available.

Any ideas?

For my game, It'll be a Fiendish Sentry Ooze with Wilder levels, but let's stick to which spells would be most unpleasant just as a living spell.

On a side note, how does an ooze's engulf work? It says that the engulfed enemy is grappled and "trapped inside it," so what does that entail for someone who wins their grapple check to break free while engulfed?

Lateral
2011-05-05, 07:51 PM
You know what's nasty, is a Living Disjunction/AMF. Your PCs will hate you forever. (Can Living Spells be a living AMF?)

Squiggles
2011-05-05, 08:03 PM
You could the more non-violent route and have a living spell that is touch attack Hold spell and Engulf Teleport.. I would imagine that would be a pain in the backside.

Strife Warzeal
2011-05-05, 08:08 PM
I could imagine anything from the batman wizards' bag of goodies would be a pretty big pain. Glitterdust, web, grease for low level choices and just getting worse (as in bigger problems for the players) as you go up in level.

Is wish a valid choice for living spell?

Lateral
2011-05-05, 08:10 PM
I could imagine anything from the batman wizards' bag of goodies would be a pretty big pain. Glitterdust, web, grease for low level choices and just getting worse (as in bigger problems for the players) as you go up in level.

How would a spell with an XP cost work for Living Spell?

...Now I want my PCs to fight a Celestial Living Miracle follower of Pelor or something. AWESOME!

Keld Denar
2011-05-05, 08:18 PM
A living Cloudkill? Its automatic Con damage, and its CHASING YOU! RAWR!

nedz
2011-05-05, 08:22 PM
How would a spell with an XP cost work for Living Spell?
...Now I want my PCs to fight a Celestial Living Miracle follower of Pelor or something. AWESOME!

Easy: it takes the XP from whatever characters it engulfs.
Hard: how does it know what to do with the power ?

The nasty ones are the combinations with different types of saves.
The really nasty ones inhibit you from escaping whilst doing you damage.
So living Colour Spray//Stinking Cloud//Web is very nasty for its CR

MrRigger
2011-05-05, 08:51 PM
Living Shades would be pretty nasty. It's whatever hurts you worst at the moment.

MrRigger

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-05, 08:56 PM
Living disintegrate. You eventually have to roll a 1 on your fortitude save.

Angry Bob
2011-05-05, 09:00 PM
You can't make a living spell out of a spell with a target. Only effects(except spells that summon creatures) and area-affect spells.

I wonder if you could metamagic a living spell?

Lateral
2011-05-05, 09:07 PM
You can't make a living spell out of a spell with a target. Only effects(except spells that summon creatures) and area-affect spells.
You think so? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ls/20061026a) :smallamused:

Thurbane
2011-05-05, 09:43 PM
Living Black Tentacles?

Angry Bob
2011-05-05, 09:52 PM
You think so? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ls/20061026a) :smallamused:

Yes. MMIII says so. This must be one of those acceptable breaks from RAW.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-05, 09:53 PM
I got it! Living wish. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, living Bigby's crushing hand, living prismatic sphere, living prismatic wall, and living storm of vengeance.

Lateral
2011-05-05, 09:56 PM
We already mentioned that, but now I really want to stat up that Living Miracle. If an ooze gets an INT score, does it get feats?

Angry Bob
2011-05-05, 10:08 PM
We already mentioned that, but now I really want to stat up that Living Miracle. If an ooze gets an INT score, does it get feats?

Yes. It can gain an int score and a truly impressive CHA score with the Sentry Ooze(Dungeonscape) template. One it has an Int score, it can gain feats, once it has 3 or more Int(Fiendish or similar template is recommended) it can take class levels. Useful since living spells have no way to advance as written, except by piling on high CL spells.

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-05, 10:10 PM
Hmm...

I want to cross this with the poison spell feat, though I suspect it's impossible.

Then, you have some wimpy low-damage-over-time spell, coupled with Greensickness (DC33 inhalation poison, 3d6 STR damage, 1d4 CON damage). The poison paralyzes the spell's victims, leaving them trapped helplessly as the rest of the spell slowly destroys them. Bonus points if it's a spell that draws power from its victims, so it's slowly eating them.

Edit: On a more interesting note... Fabricate. Have it follow the party around, ripping up the floorboards and stone from the walls to form traps and pitfalls ahead of them, and stone walls behind them.

Anxe
2011-05-05, 10:39 PM
Fire Storm for pure damage. Earthquake or Storm of Vengeance for some awesome elemental stuff. One of the Symbol spells also works. Wail of the Banshee for death effects. Song of Discord to get all them PCs fighting amongst themselves.

Finally, the 9th level version of Phantasmal Killer, Weird, affects more than one creature, so I assumed it can be used for this template. I might be wrong though. Weird allows a Will save and then a Fort save. If the Fort save fails, the victim dies. If the Fort save succeeds the victim is stunned for one round. See where that goes? Anything with a low Will save gets engulfed and dies on the first failed Fort save.

Yukitsu
2011-05-05, 10:40 PM
revivify/wrack/harm.

Anxe
2011-05-05, 10:43 PM
Wrack and Harm are good ones, but we're running into that "can't be a target spell" wall again. What's Revivify?

Yukitsu
2011-05-05, 10:44 PM
Wrack and Harm are good ones, but we're running into that "can't be a target spell" wall again. What's Revivify?

It brings them back to life.

Edit: You can make those qualify with meta abuse, but I'm not sure that that's supposed to be allowed. Be a higher CR regardless.

FMArthur
2011-05-06, 07:12 AM
What about Living Apocalypse from the Sky? Or that equally apocalyptic snowstorm spell?

Innis Cabal
2011-05-06, 07:14 AM
What about Living Apocalypse from the Sky? Or that equally apocalyptic snowstorm spell?

This one would be pretty nasty, and the actual picture of AftS works perfectly for the ooze itself. A Living Dance of Ruin would be pretty nasty as well.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-06, 07:17 AM
Living Blood Snow, just because it's CR 4 and deals 1d2 Con drain per hit. Good luck getting that fixed at that level.

hewhosaysfish
2011-05-06, 07:19 AM
IIRC there's a spell in the SC which creates an area which absorbs the spells cast within it and spits out some other, pre-determined spell.

I can't remember what it's called or what it's specific parameters are... I'm pretty sure there's a cap on the spell level of the triggered spell and a limit on the total number of spell levels it can absorb.

Can someone that has the SC look it up and tell me whether it might be possible to have this spell cast itself when triggered?

I think you can all see where this train of thought is going...

Telonius
2011-05-06, 07:36 AM
Not so much nasty as annoying ... living "Detect Magic." Follows your characters around saying, "Here I am!"

CTrees
2011-05-06, 08:00 AM
There are some lovely spells, especially for druids, with effects boiling down to "I create a hurricane/tsunami/earthquake" which can literally destroy cities. Make any or all living spells.

BluesEclipse
2011-05-06, 08:29 AM
I once had an epic caster with a Living Sphere of Ultimate Destruction familiar...

Feytalist
2011-05-06, 08:45 AM
Living lightning storm. Give the players their own faithful thundercloud.

dextercorvia
2011-05-06, 08:54 AM
IIRC there's a spell in the SC which creates an area which absorbs the spells cast within it and spits out some other, pre-determined spell.

I can't remember what it's called or what it's specific parameters are... I'm pretty sure there's a cap on the spell level of the triggered spell and a limit on the total number of spell levels it can absorb.

Can someone that has the SC look it up and tell me whether it might be possible to have this spell cast itself when triggered?

I think you can all see where this train of thought is going...

Energy Transformation Field. It could, but the thing about Living Spells is that they apply their effect to the creature they strike. ETF is more of a passive effect.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-06, 09:05 AM
Living lightning storm. Give the players their own faithful thundercloud.

And then the druid wants it as his animal companion...

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 09:10 AM

This seems like the sort of thing you could write an entire campaign around.

Sims
2011-05-06, 12:08 PM
Living Destruction! >:D

FMArthur
2011-05-06, 01:14 PM
This seems like the sort of thing you could write an entire campaign around.

I think that was the original idea behind AftS itself. Something BBEGs could work towards that wasn't made purely from DM contrivance. Not that it's wrong to do so, but sometimes it's nice that they provide real tools in the books for making villains that aren't attached to specific characters or modules.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 01:18 PM
I think that was the original idea behind AftS itself. Something BBEGs could work towards that wasn't made purely from DM contrivance. Not that it's wrong to do so, but sometimes it's nice that they provide real tools in the books for making villains that aren't attached to specific characters or modules.

Wait...it isn't meant for PC use? I must be doing something wrong.

FMArthur
2011-05-06, 01:23 PM
Nobody said only NPCs can be villains. :smallbiggrin:

Angry Bob
2011-05-06, 02:20 PM
New goal: Build a living spell of your choice with 20 class levels. Use whatever templates you choose to give it INT 3+.

Aurenthal
2011-05-06, 02:26 PM
living silent image?? itīs a wall!!!

Amphetryon
2011-05-06, 02:33 PM
Living Streamers.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-06, 02:34 PM
Living Reverse Gravity/Telekinesis :smallcool: It hits you, and you fly into the stratosphere.

I am also making it a half-dragon with levels in monk so it can flurry of throws.

Lateral
2011-05-06, 02:34 PM
New goal: Build a living spell of your choice with 20 class levels. Use whatever templates you choose to give it INT 3+.

The god of oozes should be, like, a TN Living Miracle (with templates) Cleric 20/Thrall of Jubilex 10.

Angry Bob
2011-05-06, 02:35 PM
Living Streamers.

I keep hearing of this "Streamers." Where is it and what does it do?

Cog
2011-05-06, 02:40 PM
Take a look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10936129#post10936129).

Angry Bob
2011-05-06, 02:50 PM
So, Shining South, then?

Cog
2011-05-06, 02:52 PM
So, Shining South, then?
Mmhmm. And yes and other such forms of agreement. Hello, minimum character limit.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 02:53 PM

It makes people die.

FMArthur
2011-05-06, 03:00 PM
Living Consumptive Field would be actually pretty cool as a malevolent force in a campaign. On the other hand, it might be a bit of a let-down to find out that the borderline-abstract force of evil that plagued the land is literally just an invisible carnivore and not the evil oppressive magic of the OverGodkinglord.

Lateral
2011-05-06, 03:56 PM
What's the save DC of a living spells' spell effect? Is it 10+spell level+CHA of the living spell, or something else?

Angry Bob
2011-05-06, 04:04 PM
What's the save DC of a living spells' spell effect? Is it 10+spell level+CHA of the living spell, or something else?

Yup. That's why Sentry Ooze(+10 CHA) makes such a great addition to the Living Spell, whose CHA is already 10+Spell level, never mind the addition of feats and possibly class levels.

erikun
2011-05-06, 04:12 PM
I'll play the Living Invisible Hypnotic Pattern, whose goal in life is to make people notice him!

*.*.*.*
2011-05-06, 06:07 PM

Can you add metamagic to living spells? A Sentry Ooze living spell fell draining Apocalypse from the Sky sounds like a last resort BBEG weapon.

"LOL WIGHTS FOR MILES"

Lateral
2011-05-06, 06:30 PM
Why would you use Apocalypse from the Sky? They only affect things they engulf or slam, and the advantage of AftS is its huge radius.

Angry Bob
2011-05-06, 06:33 PM
Why would you use Apocalypse from the Sky? They only affect things they engulf or slam, and the advantage of AftS is its huge radius.

Excellent Point. I guess the most brutal combination would be something that immobilized combined with absurd damage, all at long range so this thing moves at 60 ft.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 06:34 PM

You could argue that it's "engulfing" miles of terrain at a time. When you use a plot spell, I think you're entitled to bend the rules a bit.

OracleofWuffing
2011-05-06, 06:52 PM
A very stealthy Living Prestidigitation, preferably of significant size.

*roll* "You feel a little bit warmer."
"Huh?"
"You're warmer. It's hot."
"Wha, what do you mean?"
"You were feeling okay, and now your temperature's up."
"I've got immunity to fire."
"There's no fire, you're just hotter."
"But- I- so... is this a fever? A disease?"
"No."
"'Cause I should have got a fort save if it wasn't-"
"I'm moving up to where Steve is."
*roll* "Okay, Bob. You feel a bit warmer, too."
"What the hell is going on!?"

Living Mage's Magnificent Mansion! It's the house that's going to eat you! First Edition all over again!

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-06, 07:07 PM

"Huh?"
"Wha, what do you mean?"
"No."

That's awesome. :smallbiggrin:

*.*.*.*
2011-05-06, 07:11 PM

I thought when a living spell engulfs something, the spell that makes it go off. I personally thought of it as *engulf* then *boom* for a few miles

nedz
2011-05-06, 07:15 PM
Living Evard's could be amusing, especially if it was stationary when first encountered, only to then start moving.

Lateral
2011-05-06, 07:32 PM

"Huh?"
"Wha, what do you mean?"
"No."
Sweet.

...Incorporeal Living Prestidigitation/Dancing Lights/Ghost Sound; haunt the party and convince them they're all insane by creating sounds, lights, and odd sensations only they can feel.

I thought when a living spell engulfs something, the spell that makes it go off. I personally thought of it as *engulf* then *boom* for a few miles
Nope, just the target.

Sims
2011-05-06, 09:28 PM
Wait, I don't think a Living Spell can have more than one spell in it. Can it? If it can, I might make a "God Ball" (Holy Word, Daylight, Holy Smite, Destrcution lollololoololololol)

dextercorvia
2011-05-06, 09:31 PM
It can, but CR increases really quickly relative to power that way.

nedz
2011-05-07, 10:23 AM
Wait, I don't think a Living Spell can have more than one spell in it. Can it? If it can, I might make a "God Ball" (Holy Word, Daylight, Holy Smite, Destrcution lollololoololololol)

MM3 specifally states that you can have multiple spells.

I know its not always relevant but they do give examples
Glitterfire = Glitterdust + Fireball
Sickening Sleep = Ray of Enfeeblement + Sleep

Kalim
2011-05-07, 11:22 AM
Hmm, can Mass Harm be a Living Spell?

If so, I vote for that.

Dark Kerman
2011-05-07, 11:25 AM
Living Flensing? *That* would be nasty if it could somehow be made AoE...

Sims
2011-05-07, 11:57 AM
Wow, this Living Spell thing is a really cool idea.

So if a Living Spell had any type of healing spell added to it, could it heal itself? Or only the enemies engulfed?

Angry Bob
2011-05-07, 12:12 PM
Wow, this Living Spell thing is a really cool idea.

So if a Living Spell had any type of healing spell added to it, could it heal itself? Or only the enemies engulfed?

The only ways it applies its spells are by hitting with a slam, or starting its turn engulfing an enemy. No more, no less.

Sims
2011-05-07, 12:19 PM
The only ways it applies its spells are by hitting with a slam, or starting its turn engulfing an enemy. No more, no less.

Hmm, so I guess it healing itself is out of the question. Thats too bad.

FMArthur
2011-05-07, 12:24 PM
I take issue with the small aside about spells "whose effects are already creatures" being nonviable as living spells, and then referring to the Summon Monster line as an example. I mean, the spell itself is just a summoning, which results in a creature being transported, isn't it? Isn't that what its name and fluff implies?

I guess what I'm getting at is that Summon Monster X would be totally awesome as Living Spells and it's a shame it can't happen. Like a moving portal to the Far Realm spewing out hordes of random creatures until brought down (okay, maybe that's a Living Spell from a war between Alienists, but still!).

Angry Bob
2011-05-07, 12:54 PM
I take issue with the small aside about spells "whose effects are already creatures" being nonviable as living spells, and then referring to the Summon Monster line as an example. I mean, the spell itself is just a summoning, which results in a creature being transported, isn't it? Isn't that what its name and fluff implies?

I guess what I'm getting at is that Summon Monster X would be totally awesome as Living Spells and it's a shame it can't happen. Like a moving portal to the Far Realm spewing out hordes of random creatures until brought down (okay, maybe that's a Living Spell from a war between Alienists, but still!).

I bet you could have a living gate. I don't know what its spell effect would be, though.

OracleofWuffing
2011-05-07, 02:04 PM
I bet you could have a living gate. I don't know what its spell effect would be, though.
Rule of Funny dictates that the spell effect would call Living Gates.

Angry Bob
2011-05-07, 02:11 PM
Rule of Funny dictates that the spell effect would call Living Gates.

Yo dawg, we herd you liek living spells...