PDA

View Full Version : Strange character concepts (post here!)

randomhero00
2011-05-05, 07:28 PM
Someone that tastes or chews all new material/area that he/she enters. So for instance say he takes a boat, he'd cut off a small piece of rope to 'taste' it.

^ this was an exalted game and I took such things that allowed me to eat anything and ignore poison and gain substance.

Otacon17
2011-05-05, 10:32 PM
Haven't gotten a chance to use them yet, but I've had some ideas:

Jimmy Bigsword: A fighter who happens to be very devoted to Calistria, goddess of lust. He's an exhibitionist, and offers various... services at Calistria's local temple. 'Jimmy Bigsword' is just a stage name.

Unnamed Cavalier: A young guy who works as a patissier in a castle and has always dreamed of becoming a knight. He's a little cocky and overeager, often bragging about great feats he's supposedly accomplished, rushing into battle, and generally getting in over his head. His most useful ability by far is making snacks for the rest of his party.

And one I've actually played:

Xander Deepgrave: Necromancer. A gravedigger who is very socially awkward. Oh, and he's a necrophiliac. He's a heck of a nice guy, though, and doesn't really get why everybody freaks out about his bizarre sexual predilections.

Aron Times
2011-05-06, 05:00 PM
Someone that tastes or chews all new material/area that he/she enters. So for instance say he takes a boat, he'd cut off a small piece of rope to 'taste' it.

^ this was an exalted game and I took such things that allowed me to eat anything and ignore poison and gain substance.
Like the Tenth and the Eleventh Doctors?

super dark33
2011-05-06, 05:33 PM
A wizard devoted to eat anything edible that wont kill you on bite.

Issabella
2011-05-06, 05:36 PM
Sabaros Pinchopalis. A Manscorpian gladiator. A boisterous bruiser of the highest order. Payed a wizard to magically grow him a beard so he could have one of the massive coiled Babylonia/Assyrian/Chaos Dwarf style beards. Would frequently sting other people's food in the name of adding flavor to it!

Valdor
2011-05-06, 06:40 PM
Unnames: I already played him several times but never named him. A male halfling sorcerer/luckstealer that wore a "minirobe" with no under garments and spent all his time and magic throwing raves in random places while ridding his hippogrif familier and trying to sleep with any guys he could that was size large...

Pisha
2011-05-06, 06:56 PM
I still like my hobgoblin paladin with anger issues (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9501691&postcount=145):smallsmile: Too bad I think I'm playing him in the wrong game.

(A note: the "tasting" thing recently became a quirk of said paladin's warforged buddy. He's convinced he can taste flavors. No one has the heart to tell him otherwise.)

Tvtyrant
2011-05-06, 07:03 PM
Cleric who is so Lawful that he ends up believing in a slave based society and slowly falls from Lawful Good to Lawful Evil. Justifies his belief by the fact that only a god is perfect, and therefore only by doing as the god says can a person be perfect. Goes on to move to Baator and become a high level Cleric in the employ of one of the Lawful Evil gods there.

Ur-Priest Mindflayer who seeks to prove that the gods are merely powerful mortals and not eternal by becoming one herself. This disbelief in immortality and worship leads the Ur-Flayer to kill and eat the Elder Brain of her people in order to gain access to its knowledge of the past. The steady onset of insanity caused by this leads her to hunt Aboleths for their knowledge, as she moves into epic casting.

Magnema
2011-05-06, 07:16 PM
A paladin who hates himself due to events in his past, so much so that he is past suicide to the point where he lives because his life has value to other people. It holds no value for himself, however - he feels he does not deserve it, and so deprives himself of anything done not ultimately for another - and he would be eagerly willing to die or, even more so, be tortured or otherwise suffer in order to help someone, although he will not commit to a suicide mission with little benefit - he is coldly rational, but with his own life, not with others (he considers the good he can do staying alive vs. the good his death will do in whatever cause).

tl;dr: Basically, the personification of self-hatred, as a paladin, because he believes that others may want to use his life.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-05-06, 07:23 PM
A concept I utilized in a Pathfinder game here was Elsbeth Woodfall, Scion of the Ever-Empty. She was a witch who'd bargained with a mysterious fey lord called the Ever-Empty for magical power. In exchange, the Ever-Empty took up residence in her stomach to feed off her experiences and know what it was like to feel as mortals do. The problem was that some of the Ever-Empty's constantly hungering nature rubbed off on Elsbeth, who became a hedonistic pleasure seeker and a glutton. The whole thing was mainly an excuse to play an overweight character and not have to deal with the question of how one can do the strenuous activities adventuring requires and not lose weight.

I've gotten other odd character ideas, but most of them are only odd because they're basically "played by a Hollywood actor." For instance, I've always wanted to play a character with mannerisms and an attitude similar to Christopher Walken. The only character I've ever played in a completed campaign was a paladin based on Arnold Schwarzenegger, except with a beard.

Aron Times
2011-05-06, 08:43 PM
My main character in the Neverwinter Nights 2 roleplaying server, "Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast Chronicles" is Victor Gardener, a gold dwarf fighter 2/sorcerer 6/eldritch knight X. His ingame description describes him as a bisexual dwarf playboy.

He is based on Captain Jack Harness from Doctor Who.

balistafreak
2011-05-06, 08:57 PM
A Shaper/Thrallherd, with a Summoner thrall.

The Summoner is the son of the Shaper/Thrallherd. He died once, but got a raise dead, so explaining his lower level. You get a cookie if you can find the obvious reference/inspiration here. (Hint: it's religious.)

Jerthanis
2011-05-07, 12:37 AM
My current starry-eyed concept for a bizarre character is "Roach", a guy who has no superpowers whatsoever... but he has access to an artifact which has access to all information everywhere, but reveals it in an ever-changing cypher that takes a genius to decode. He happens to be such a genius. The idea is that he would interact with gods and monsters as equals because he has information, and for no other reason. He would fight Dragons by outthinking them, and would topple nations with his machinations... and when his enemies catch him, the only reason they don't kill him is that they would be denying themselves all the power they would have using him as translator.

In this way, he plays chess with gods with nothing but contractual invulnerability and his wits.

0Megabyte
2011-05-07, 01:21 AM
A paladin who hates himself due to events in his past, so much so that he is past suicide to the point where he lives because his life has value to other people. It holds no value for himself, however - he feels he does not deserve it, and so deprives himself of anything done not ultimately for another - and he would be eagerly willing to die or, even more so, be tortured or otherwise suffer in order to help someone, although he will not commit to a suicide mission with little benefit - he is coldly rational, but with his own life, not with others (he considers the good he can do staying alive vs. the good his death will do in whatever cause).

tl;dr: Basically, the personification of self-hatred, as a paladin, because he believes that others may want to use his life.

Or in other words, Emiya Shirou?

Seerow
2011-05-07, 01:26 AM

This isn't weird til you start trying to gain powers from the things that you eat.

Heck I played a game where we (we being me and 1 or 2 other players in the group) frequently tried to lick/eat everything, insisting that we could taste magic. The DM never agreed with us that we could do this, but the few times he jokingly said yes, you bet your ass we tried to take it with us.

"I lick the door, does it taste like magic?"
"As you lick it you get a splinter on your tongue, you think it might taste like magic"
"I take the door off its hinges and carry it with me"

John Campbell
2011-05-07, 01:27 AM
At one point, I built a bard/sorceress going into Heartwarder, a 3.0 prestige class that provided, among other things, a +5 inherent bonus to Charisma. At 20th level, she would've had a 30 Charisma before magic items. Her name was Mary Sue.

I didn't actually play her because I didn't think that was the really the group I wanted to be playing a character with a class feature called "Lips of Rapture" with, though.

Extra_Crispy
2011-05-07, 04:53 AM
I got tired of people saying my paladins were lawful nazies. So I actually played one. It was a short lived epic 3.0 campaign in which I told the GM that basically he swore to follow the king of the lands every word to the letter. If the king said he wished to see a dozen children put on spears and set up outside the castle walls he would go and do just that, with absolutly no quams. Or if the king said give out candies to the kids all day for a weeks he would do that also.

I showed them was a lawful nazi was, it was also a little agrivating for the GM as he had to watch what he said because I would follow his instructions to the word even whims. It really started to annoy the party.

akma
2011-05-07, 05:07 AM
As a PC character I only have one idea:
The sleepless saga.
A wizard fits the concept better, but I like sorcerers more. The character is always tired, and is lazy and whines whenever you tell it to do anything. Still, it can cast powerfull magic, and it got good ideas, so it`s usefull.
If the game would be serious, the character couldn`t sleep properly becuse of nightmares.
If it wouldn`t be, the lack of sleep wouldn`t be explained.

I also got a few wierd NPCs ideas.

Makiru
2011-05-07, 05:58 AM
Half-orc monk/favored soul (Kord)/apostle of peace: the "Apostle of Punch", who believes that all matters that cannot be resolved with words can be in the gentlemanly sport of pugilism. Of course, since he has vowed to never kill, he is well-versed in submission maneuvers. Afterward, his cohort comes by to put an evil creature in manacles and cart him off to a secure location, where Diplomacy-based alignment-shifting sermons can begin.

Jermlaine warlock (or phaerim sorcerer) who sits on the shoulder of the fighter, claiming to be his "familiar" and you should mind your own business as to why this caster is in full plate and wielding a greatsword.

As well as a few more that I have spoken of to length in other threads.

DontEatRawHagis
2011-05-07, 09:36 AM
Outside of my normal drunken monk.

I have a backup Gnome Barbarian with no name but I call him Kanon Foder're. I rolled stats for him and came up with nothing higher than 12. His family pressured him to be come a bard or a mage, but he flunked out of mage school and is tone deaf.

0Megabyte
2011-05-07, 01:09 PM
I've got one:

The group of bandits laughed at their victory. They'd stolen all that food from the caravan. Sure, the village will starve now, but they don't care. It was time for a party!

Night fell, but the party showed no signs of stopping. They'd built a huge bonfire, and combined with the light of the full moon on the horizon, it felt nearly as bright as day to the eight bandits. They drank the town's beer, and laughed at jokes they told one another, and silly little ditties they sang to one another.

But then, one of them looked up, and noticed a figure walking towards them. A slender figure, silhouetted by the moon's light.

"Hey, Jon, Morte, look over there. Who is that?"

The two, and quickly after the rest of the bandits, all stopped their merriment and looked. Some of them grabbed their swords. The figure continued to approach, and soon, they could make it out.

It was a teenage girl, surely no older than 15 years old. She wore a short pink dress that showed off her legs, along with some ridiculous frills in her hair. She looked at the men with determination in her face, and stopped.

"What the he- it's just some little girl!" The bandits began to laugh. "Why don't you go back home, little girl. Unless you want to come here and have some fun?"

Was that a smirk that appeared on the young girl's face?

"I have come," she spoke, in a very girlish sounding voice, "to punish you for the injustice you have caused! In the name of the stars themselves, which see all things, and for the sake of the village which you have robbed, I will make you pay!"

The bandits could only laugh at the ridiculous looking girl. That is, they could laugh until a pink beam of energy came from her fingers, and blasted one of the bandits for 3d6 damage, killing him outright. That made them fall silent.

They grabbed their weapons, and prepared to fight. But the fight was very short. For a fight between a sixth level warlock (with "happy star flight" as a lesser invocation) and a group of bandits without a class level between them doesn't go well for the bandits.

Analytica
2011-05-07, 02:04 PM
As a PC character I only have one idea:
The sleepless saga.
A wizard fits the concept better, but I like sorcerers more. The character is always tired, and is lazy and whines whenever you tell it to do anything. Still, it can cast powerfull magic, and it got good ideas, so it`s usefull.
If the game would be serious, the character couldn`t sleep properly becuse of nightmares.
If it wouldn`t be, the lack of sleep wouldn`t be explained.

I also got a few wierd NPCs ideas.

This sounds almost exactly like Ryner Lute from "Legend of the Legendary Heroes". :smallsmile:

soir8
2011-05-07, 04:59 PM
One of my players is a gnome Warblade who claims to be a legendary hero famous for slaying a mighty dragon. Since lvl 1 he's tried to convince every new person he meets that he really is the dragonslayer; so far only 1 person has believed him (the party rogue :D)

However, in the last session he found out that the weapon he's been using is in fact the weapon once wielded by the legendary dragonslayer, and I'm planning to include some kind of time-travel sub-plot further into the campaign so he can discover that he really is the hero himself.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-07, 05:45 PM
A kindly human of indeterminate age, smelling of wet earth and incense and completely lacking in hair of any kind, including eyebrows. In fact, he is a necromancer, reanimating the dead to serve the common weal, he prefers the term Corpsesmith. He does have a dark secret however, the skeleton that follows him around, whom he calls Steven,
was a murderer who killed the corpsemiths family. Stevens undying service to the necromancer is his revenge.
Another idea, a spell using warrior who is convinced that her arcane spells are proof of divinity and that she is destined to replace the god of slaughter. I plan to take Leadership at some point to reflect those who believe her.

balistafreak
2011-05-07, 08:44 PM
I've got one:

The group of bandits laughed at their victory. They'd stolen all that food from the caravan. Sure, the village will starve now, but they don't care. It was time for a party!

Night fell, but the party showed no signs of stopping. They'd built a huge bonfire, and combined with the light of the full moon on the horizon, it felt nearly as bright as day to the eight bandits. They drank the town's beer, and laughed at jokes they told one another, and silly little ditties they sang to one another.

But then, one of them looked up, and noticed a figure walking towards them. A slender figure, silhouetted by the moon's light.

"Hey, Jon, Morte, look over there. Who is that?"

The two, and quickly after the rest of the bandits, all stopped their merriment and looked. Some of them grabbed their swords. The figure continued to approach, and soon, they could make it out.

It was a teenage girl, surely no older than 15 years old. She wore a short pink dress that showed off her legs, along with some ridiculous frills in her hair. She looked at the men with determination in her face, and stopped.

"What the he- it's just some little girl!" The bandits began to laugh. "Why don't you go back home, little girl. Unless you want to come here and have some fun?"

Was that a smirk that appeared on the young girl's face?

"I have come," she spoke, in a very girlish sounding voice, "to punish you for the injustice you have caused! In the name of the stars themselves, which see all things, and for the sake of the village which you have robbed, I will make you pay!"

The bandits could only laugh at the ridiculous looking girl. That is, they could laugh until a pink beam of energy came from her fingers, and blasted one of the bandits for 3d6 damage, killing him outright. That made them fall silent.

They grabbed their weapons, and prepared to fight. But the fight was very short. For a fight between a sixth level warlock (with "happy star flight" as a lesser invocation) and a group of bandits without a class level between them doesn't go well for the bandits.

I'm not sure if I'm amused or appalled. :smallamused::smallannoyed::smallconfused:

Traab
2011-05-08, 08:37 PM
This isnt D&D, but I bet it would be funnier there but this is mine. It was a human monk who fancied himself a ladies man. He would endlessly flirt with any female int he vicinity, especially the various elven types. If he ever saw a woman get attacked in a fight, he would instantly jump in, trying his hardest to get the monsters attention in a near berserk rage. It could be anything from a level 1 goblin to cthulu himself, same reaction every time.

During down time he would proceed to serenade the ladies with various love songs. They were modern music so its anachronistic, but I tried my best to avoid any songs with lyrics that mention things that couldnt exist in game somewhere. He even had a theme song he would loudly announce to the world every time he entered a new zone. Sung to the tune of Joxxur the Mighty.

My other favorite character story was for my halfling druid. Basically, he started out life as a warrior then felt the call to serve nature. The problem is, he still fights like a warrior. His entire gear set is full of melee haste, armor, strength, stamina, things like that. He melees everything to death, only casting heals on himself as he goes. His particular prey of choice are giants who he greatly enjoys breaking down to size with his mace. Hill giants, frost giants fire giants, he doesnt care, they all make a satisfying crash when they hit the ground.

Show
2011-05-08, 10:25 PM
This concept might be a little too out there for even this thread, but...

A paladin who is a nice, friendly guy.

Garwain
2011-05-09, 05:38 AM
waiting to play:
Cleric, orphan, obsessive possesive about his items, especially a flask of fine wine for no apparent reason. Is 'released' from the monastary as they grew tired of him. He has no goal, except the fact that he's been told that the gods would reveal his destiny to him. Everything is now interpretated into a sign of his god. Annoying as hell, but usefull enough as a friend to keep close by. Quite powerfull in what he does, but you have to take the constant "must be a sign of the gods!" and "you were going for my flask, weren't you" comments.

DrWeird
2011-05-09, 09:29 AM
Well, I've taken a break from her on the playground - and I suppose that limits her to actual IRL D&D in someone's basement - but I have a dedicated character concept of a barbarian amazon that I've played since my first adventure. Of course, she's never the *exact* same, because that would be boring. Every new incarnation features a tweaked backstory, different quest, different reasons for adventuring and sometimes even different alignment; of course, always with different class levels. But that's not quite fitting with the thread, is it?

No, but a recent character in Pathfinder was a unique concept I'd been toying with. I thought it up after reading about the creation of new Mindflayers, and supposed what would happen if the brain of the human devoured had some ill effect on the larval mindflayer - some genetic mutation, I suppose - that left him questioning the state of his own mind as he matured, developing a stunted but relatively humanoid-level emotions. Retaining his great illithid intellect, he hides these emotions, and the sorcerous Mindflayer flees his underground city, and finds himself absorbing in the mysteries of the surface from the perspective of an outsider stepping in.

He spends a lengthy amount of time hiding near a riverside hamlet (where he can keep moist - thank goodness for temperate climates in the lower range) and studies the people there, and from there parallels the chapter of Frankenstein where the monster lives in the house's woodshed without the religious context. He decides it's best to leave after being discovered, and steals a plague doctor's mask, hat and cloak, and sets out adventuring simply to absorb the knowledge and get in touch with the world from whom his body was stolen, and learn about the mortal concept of morality. He takes up a false profession of doctoring, applying various necomantic spells as 'folk healing' in the outer baronies to avoid being detected, realizing quite well the dangers of his situation, and only when he joins a party of adventurers does he feel safe in revealing his secret, and taking from each of them an important lesson about being a person.

Psyborg
2011-05-09, 10:11 AM
Eberron Campaign Setting: A Shifter Barbarian (unosarta redux (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168774)) 6 / Templar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9403418&postcount=14) of the Silver Flame 1 / Silvershaft (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9429681&postcount=33) 10 / Barbarian +3 lycanthrope hunter. Alternate build switches Barb 6 / Templar 1 for Barb 5 / Paladin of the Silver Flame 2.

some guy
2011-05-09, 12:30 PM

Yep, played him. He used to knock on dungeon doors, untill the other party members told him it was a bad idea. He was a laid back dude overall.

I just rolled up a character for Gamma World for fun. A mythic doppleganger whith a total +8 in stealth and a winter outfit. His winter outfit will be a nice red/white striped woolen sweater and bobble hat. He will knock his enemies with a cane, they will never see it coming.

BluesEclipse
2011-05-09, 12:51 PM
I just rolled up a character for Gamma World for fun. A mythic doppleganger whith a total +8 in stealth and a winter outfit. His winter outfit will be a nice red/white striped woolen sweater and bobble hat. He will knock his enemies with a cane, they will never see it coming.

The problem with this is that every time you'd walk into a crowd, your party members would have to spend 5 minutes trying to find you.

some guy
2011-05-09, 12:53 PM
The problem with this is that every time you'd walk into a crowd, your party members would have to spend 5 minutes trying to find you.

Nevermind the fact that when you activate your doppelgangerpowers they will never be sure if they've found the real one.

Ason
2011-05-09, 01:02 PM
EDITED: Original post was about a fun- but not terribly strange- idea. I'll save that for a more relevant thread. My bad!

I'm quite partial to the Warforged Soul Eater build, which lends itself quite nicely to any number of variations on the soul-sucking robot theme. ...I suppose that's a rather limited theme, but it's still an amusing and unusual one.

I'm also a fan of the necromancer who grows plants on his undead minions to make them "greener" and less visibly evil. I know I read about that character concept/story somewhere around here on the Playground (props to whoever came up with it), but my Google Fu is weak indeed, so I can't give full credit where it is due. I just like the idea of peasants seeing an army of undead horrors and thinking, "That crazy guy up the street must be rotating his crops again- I can smell the rotting manure from over here!"

Jjeinn-tae
2011-05-09, 07:55 PM
Nevermind the fact that when you activate your doppelgangerpowers they will never be sure if they've found the real one.

It's especially bad when there's some ceremony of some sort that results in everyone wearing the same kind of clothing.

As for my own, I've always wanted to play a Lernean Goblin Dragonfire Adept... I don't think I'll find a game for it...

I have played an illiterate Goblin Shaman though that's spirit guide was the rock that "lived" in his pocket. He spoke to it quite frequently.

Arbane
2011-05-10, 12:58 AM
One goofy idea I had: A Perfect Circle of Solar Exalted... based on the cast of Sailor Moon.

I think it could work.

Absol197
2011-05-10, 02:26 AM
An anthropomorphic cat rogue/swashbuckler. Guess who it is :smallbiggrin:

I actually played this character, and it worked amazingly well. He had an incredibly unique personality, and every player in that game (although he was so Lawful Good that not necessarily the characters) all loved him. I was sad when that campaign ended.

Notreallyhere77
2011-05-10, 02:07 PM
I wanted to play an aasimar warlock (or possibly sorcerer, if warlock was unavailible) who, due to his otherworldly nature, was sensitive to the psychic call of an entity form beyond the stars. I picked invocations that would fit the concept with a bit of refluffing. Entropic shield, to reflect that space was twisted around him, sickening blast, and so forth.

He is the High Priest and Prophet of Shub-Nagazoth. Hail Shub-Nagazoth. Hail. Hail. HAIL!

Anyway, so he looks good, but is kinda creepy and dresses wierd, and whenever he uses his powers his shadow... changes. It goes from the elegant outline of a man in robes (and crown) to a writhing mass of tentacles, and then back again when the magic is done.
I was going to give him vitriolic blast, and claim that it was milk from the teat of Shub-Nagazoth, which only burns the unworthy.
I never decided whether exposure to Shub-Nagazoth's alien mind would drive fully mad or if he'd just be eccentric but really devoted.

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-10, 02:40 PM
a warforged paladin made out of ice, called Slushie-3635 - in a whole party of fire based peoples, doing a job for the god of fire. good times, good times

Yukitsu
2011-05-10, 02:48 PM
I once played a 5000 year old Elan who had undergone the transformation at age 9. She was a dread witch who jerked people around like dolls on a string, used shadow fire, and was very good with phantasmal killer. Heavily inspired by Alma Wade.

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-10, 03:08 PM
oh good, when I first read that I thought

:elan:I get to live to 5000? neat! will roy and Haley be there? and banjo?

akma
2011-05-10, 05:41 PM
This sounds almost exactly like Ryner Lute from "Legend of the Legendary Heroes". :smallsmile:

When I first thought of the sleepless saga I thought of it as a scientist, I don`t remmember in which context. Is legend of legendary heroes worth watching?

A monster I started making inspired me of a charcter. The creature is an acidic, ooze like elementanel, who can shapechange, but must be composed of only 1 colour at all times. He is only solid in very low tempertures, and he literaly destroyes everything he touches with his acidic body. I`ll call it an acid elementanel.
The character I thought if is an acid elementanel who wants to touch, without destroying. Maybe even become properly integrated in society, without being an outsider.
Meant as an NPC.

onthetown
2011-05-10, 08:46 PM

I have a Lawful Good wizard who's a really nice gal, if it counts. :smallwink:

Strangest one I've done yet is one I'm playing right now: A blackguard who sucks at being evil. When we first met him, he was running a "dictatorship" that still held elections, to "give the illusion of being fair to the people so that they're lulled into a false sense of security" and he still had the final say no matter what the votes were — but he would listen to what the elections voted about. His most famous act was burning down a local orphanage, then rescuing all of the children inside it so that they could watch their home burn down — turns out the orphanage was set to be demolished because of unsafe living conditions, anyway. The children then went to live in a luxurious little compound funded by none other than our favorite blackguard himself, because he wanted them to think he had done them a great favor or something so that he could use them later on (for minimum wage grunt jobs! Muahahahahahah!). So his little town city-state dictatorship thing absolutely loved him, though he assumed it was out of fear and respect when instead it was adoration. When we went to rescue a party member a few weeks after he joined the adventure, he razed a barn in the name of his god — and then built a newer, better one, also in the name of his god.

At least he's trying. I think at this point his god just keeps him around because you can point him at a threat and he'll go chop it up for you. Makes a great tank and I loves him. :smallbiggrin: Only problem I have with him is that I have to continually think about ways to make him gain fame and adoration wherever he goes from the idiotic things he does...

Jay R
2011-05-10, 10:13 PM
I never found a DM who would let me play him, but I designed a TOON character for D&D - Ragnar Rabbit, the Hanna-Barbarian.

Witty Username
2011-05-10, 10:13 PM
Another person did this, his character was a doppelganger who had forgotten he was a doppelganger so was constantly "making faces" trying to find his original form not knowing that he could just stop and regain his normal form.

Absol197
2011-05-12, 01:24 AM
Another person did this, his character was a doppelganger who had forgotten he was a doppelganger so was constantly "making faces" trying to find his original form not knowing that he could just stop and regain his normal form.

Oh, this reminds me of a character I DMed for. He was a changeling with severe multiple-personality disorder. He had five separate personalities, all of whom thought they were separate people:

There was Lillith, the CE teifling rogue;
Mary, the NG human healer;
Forreth, the N human fighter;
Erek, the LE human cleric (of the god of the apocolypse)
and Durket, the LN dwaren wizard.

All of them knew about each other, and most of them didn't like each other, but they didn't know they were all one person. They would switch between people (the character's weapon and armor had enchantments that made them change form), but always out of sight of anyone else. The player didn't choose who would show up every time the character switched personalities; I rolled for him, giving weight to different personalities based on the current situation.

The funny thing was when he got hit by a confusion spell--we had been joking about this for a while, so I ruled that a spell that makes normal people insane for a short time would make him sane for the duration, instead. Those 5 rounds were a shocker to a lot of characters.

onthetown
2011-05-13, 01:19 PM
Oh, this reminds me of a character I DMed for. He was a schitzophrenic changeling. He had five separate personalities, all of whom thought they were separate people:

...that's not schizophrenia. That's multiple personality disorder.

The auditory hallucinations heard by some people with a type of schizophrenia called paranoid schizophrenia can be voices, and the voices talk to the person. The voices may have different personalities whilst they're talking to the person. But the person never actually takes on the personality of the voices, just listens to them.

As somebody living with a father who has paranoid schizophrenia, that's a huge pet peeve of mine. Definitely not helped by Hollywood.

Cute character, though.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-05-13, 01:23 PM
I got this concept from reading a thread here:

A wizard who seeks as much power as he can get because he hates being told what to do. He's smart enough to know he'll only get in trouble if he flouts the authority of other beings more powerful than him, so in his mind, the way to free himself to be able to do as he pleases is to gain so much magical power that even the gods can't tell him what to do.

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-13, 03:14 PM
I got this concept from reading a thread here:

A wizard who seeks as much power as he can get because he hates being told what to do. He's smart enough to know he'll only get in trouble if he flouts the authority of other beings more powerful than him, so in his mind, the way to free himself to be able to do as he pleases is to gain so much magical power that even the gods can't tell him what to do.

but... but...but that's smart chaotic stupid

I need to sit down...:smallbiggrin:

Analytica
2011-05-15, 06:53 PM
but... but...but that's smart chaotic stupid

Yes. Yes it is.

When I first thought of the sleepless saga I thought of it as a scientist, I don`t remmember in which context. Is legend of legendary heroes worth watching?

Despite the silly name, I found it highly appealing. A little bit of Full Metal Alchemist, a little bit of Slayers, visually very nice and with a lot of angst-causing backstory elements as well as logically coherent magic. The only problem is that the anime so far only covers the first part of the light novels, so there are a lot of loose threads after the 24 episodes they released. Hopefully there'll be a sequel resolving this.

Lord Raziere
2011-05-15, 07:39 PM
Everything I make. :smallcool:

Lord.Sorasen
2011-05-15, 10:31 PM
My sister just created a Necromancer who has been told that it would be a sin to raise the dead from their graves, and follows such a statement religiously. She takes much time to constantly state how she may be a necromancer, but she still has morals!

However, she sees no problem with raising the dead if they were never in graves. In other words, she'll often kill people herself, and raise those bodies, all the while insisting that it's ok morally because they weren't awaken from their slumber: they were only dead for like 3 seconds.

There's this one NPC I created, who became far more liked than I wanted him to be: so much so that I ended up bringing him back sporadically. He was a dwarven warrior (literally the Monster Manual Entry) named O'Malley, who communicated almost exclusively through high fives and ended every battle by throwing his weapon (his two handed ax). The first battle he was in, I threw it from 15 feet, took a huge penalty to the attack, and somehow scored a critical.

akma
2011-05-16, 12:23 PM
I never played it, and probably never will, but here is the idea:
A female barbarian, big, hairy character named Brohilda, which yells "Brohilda smash!" whenever she starts attacking.

Angry Bob
2011-05-16, 02:08 PM
A fratboy archivist or wizard. Or bard. You know, because those are most likely to have attended a college. "Every time a bro swings, drink! Everytime a bro crits, finish your drink!" They'd also have to have a homebrewed set of resistances, to represent the physical and emotional scarring from their pledges.

A master of tactical or pharmaceutical apiculture(BEEEEEEEEEEES). This one would probably have to wait until my group switches away from D&D 3.5.

A custom hipster class that gets bonuses dependent on how many 3rd party sources he uses.

Notreallyhere77
2011-05-16, 02:36 PM
A fire elemental fighter. In full plate. Yeah, the armor would make me unable to fly, but the looks on my opponents' faces when I lift the visor would make it all worth it.

A magical talking horse.

An unconventional lycanthrope (weregoat, werehorse, werevulture, etc).

Phillip, the most dreaded Dread pirate in the whole forest. Or mountain.

A kraken cultist. Otherwise a normal adventurer, with a spear-hunting theme, just raised in an area where the kraken was God.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-05-17, 11:30 AM
A character who is royalty. Most PCs with royalty get there over the course of the game, earning their title or by deposing a tyrant, etc. But this character already IS a king or queen, who, for some reason, spends less time at court making decisions that affect the good of the nation and instead goes out personally to deal with monsters and renegades. Perhaps they leave their spouse at home to take care of the boring jobs.

Tankadin
2011-05-17, 02:48 PM
Someone on these here boards posted an idea I've been dying to try out:

Waforged Warlock who may or may not be a gnome (trapped) in a power-suit.

Aron Times
2011-05-17, 04:13 PM
Someone on these here boards posted an idea I've been dying to try out:

Waforged Warlock who may or may not be a gnome (trapped) in a power-suit.

Basically a Dalek?

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-19, 12:07 PM
A shop-a-holic dragon who spends money the moment they get it

Kesnit
2011-05-20, 08:31 AM
4e D&D
Tokanok Metalhands: Evil Gnome Artificer. The campaign went from 1-12, and he was the only character to survive the entire way. Mostly because of his knack for running away when his party members died. The campaign involved us looking for pieces of an artifact that gave deity-level power to the one who wielded it, but at the price of killing the rest of the party. Tokanok used the crown, but got around having to kill the other PC's by firing them all and hiring a bunch of LVL 1 adventurers. He became a god.

In our next game, the DM's wife played a Cleric of Tokanok and I played a Shardmind who was born from Tokanok's "one good thought" - the hesitation to kill his original party.;

nWoD Changling
My fiancee is currently playing a little girl who is a Wizened Smith. The character is based on Agatha from Girl Genius.

nWoD Vampire
In a LARP, I'm playing a Malkovian, which is a Ventrue bloodline who all have an insanity. His official (as in, on the character sheet) insanity is that he is a Masochist. However, Malkovians get the same powers as the Meket clan, so my character is convinced he is a Meket. (He also has the Ventrue clan power, but only uses it unconsciously. He doesn't know he can use it "because it's for Ventrue only!")

MidnightOne
2011-05-20, 12:00 PM

Been there, done that. She died horribly via called lightning by the party's druid in a friendly-fire incident.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-05-20, 01:23 PM
A character who believes that the purest sensations are those that are hardest to feel, therefore the purest sensations are felt through the feet. Always looking for new experiences, so they become an adventurer. Of course, they need to experience every combat in the purest form possible. They fight exclusively using flying kicks, and keep a record of every creature they've ever killed through rapid application of foot to head.

Haven't gotten to play it yet, but there's a surprising amount of support for the concept in 3.5.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-05-20, 01:55 PM
I don't know if it's been done before in this thread, but another concept I've wanted to play is a knight who follows a realistic code of chivalry, which, according to Terry Jones, meant three things:

Learning how to kill people,
making money,
and getting famous.

A man who appears to be the noblest of paladins, but is in actual fact just a hired thug in a suit of expensive armor. He may even be an outlaw on the side.

Omeganaut
2011-05-20, 04:12 PM
A bard named Johnny, who has an enchanted stringed instrument he won from an evil god in a bet. Over who could lick their elbows. I bet you thought you knew the answer beforehand too!

Notreallyhere77
2011-05-21, 06:52 PM
A barbarian with the berserker strength variant class feature, with a twist:
When he "rages," he is possessed by a demon. He takes on a firey aura and grows claws. He is tattooed all over his body with mystical patterns and sigils to keep the demon trapped inside him. It only manifests when the tattoos are damaged through wounding its host.

Almost supported, but needs tweaking to work in 3.5.

Das Platyvark
2011-05-21, 07:01 PM
A teenager, who has no idea of what powers he possesses. He is incredibly shy all the time, rarely speaks, and is scared of most monsters. The twist? when he enters a combat situation, his mind is replaced with that of one of his ancestors, a great warrior, and he gains incredible skill. Not based off the possessed berserker at all.

Aron Times
2011-05-21, 08:44 PM
My vampire character has a ghoul based on Donna Noble from Doctor Who. My DM asked me to stat her. Here is her character sheet:

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/10976