PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Base Class You've Never Played

Zaq
2011-05-05, 09:13 PM
So, there's fifty base classes in 3.5 (not counting variants), but there's only so many chances to bring a character to the table (especially if you don't die or change campaigns that often). There's always going to be something that looks cool but that you just have never gotten a chance to play. Maybe the group already had one, maybe you liked that class but had a perfect personality and backstory set up for another one, maybe your GM banned it despite your pouty puppy dog eyes, whatever.

Short and sweet: What's your favorite base class that you've never actually gotten to play? Crunch, fluff, doesn't matter, just as long as you can say "you know, that's a cool character class and I don't think I'd be sad to play it." Hell, it might not even be in your list of backup characters (I'm not the only one who has one of those, right?), but I'm interested. You can list a few, if you like. I'm not necessarily interested in picking THE ONE AND ONLY. I'm just curious.

If it matters, if you don't think of a character you've played as really being a certain class, I'd say you haven't really played it. My short-lived Spellthief benefited quite a bit from his little dip in Swordsage, but I don't think of him as a Swordsage. I think of him as a Spellthief. I'd say that I've never played a Swordsage.

As for me? Rogues have always caught my eye. They're versatile, they get splatbook love, and they're fun skillmonkeys. I've just never wanted to play one more than I've wanted to play something else. Totemists are also awesome on toast, but both of the incarnum-heavy characters I've played have been Incarnates . . . the first because I needed versatility (and the Incarnate has the Totemist beat there), and the second because the party already had a whole bunch of melee beatsticks and needed something a little different. (Incarnate is also the only character class I've repeated, though I've got a Scout build in the wings despite having already played one of those.)

Thurbane
2011-05-05, 09:18 PM
hands down, Binder. Followed closely by Favored Soul and Dragonfire Adept.

Sadly, my group only plays a couple of hours a week, so we don't cycle though characters very fast. Also, a lot of our games are basically core-only.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-05-05, 09:21 PM
Dragonfire Adapt, Favored Soul, Duskblade, OA shaman, Psion. Not in any specific order.

arguskos
2011-05-05, 09:26 PM
Thanks to being the DM, I play basically anything I want. The only things I haven't bothered playing yet are Truenamers (I don't have the patience to make them worth a damn) and the Incarnum classes (specifically, Totemist, since annihilating anything that moves with a 50-ton brick ****house made of natural attacks seems fun but I just never get the chance to make one).

Lateral
2011-05-05, 09:32 PM
Binder, aside from a 1-level dip on a Hellfire Warlock.

Sdonourg
2011-05-05, 09:32 PM
Binder and Sha'ir. Both fluff and crunch is awesome (some people may disagree about sha'ir), but still haven't played one of them.

TARDIS
2011-05-05, 09:36 PM
Surprisingly, bard fits this category for me... never played a bard in all my long years of D&D... played clerics, wizards, fighters, soulknives, erudites, archivists, factotums, incarnates... never a bard though. Somebody always beats me to that class...

Also, shadowcaster, truenamer, swordsage, ardent, knight, dragonfire adept and marshal would also have to be on this list somewhere.

Urpriest
2011-05-05, 09:36 PM
OA Shaman awhile back was lovely. I was on a Druid kick back then, and OA Shaman was different enough to be interesting. Vanara race helped with that.

Completely misread the OP. If Ur-Priest was a base class I'd choose that (yeah I've never played the class I'm named for...). As-is...Dread Necro. Definitely Dread Necro.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-05, 09:39 PM
PF sorcerer. Bloodlines are awesome.

3.5? Warblade. I'm playing it at the nearest opportunity.

Druids and barbarians are also cool.

I haven't played most classes, as I'm still pretty new.

Zaq
2011-05-05, 09:41 PM
Surprisingly, bard fits this category for me... never played a bard in all my long years of D&D... played clerics, wizards, fighters, soulknives, erudites, archivists, factotums, incarnates... never a bard though. Somebody always beats me to that class...

Also, shadowcaster, truenamer, swordsage, ardent, knight, dragonfire adept and marshal would also have to be on this list somewhere.

RUN AWAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK ending punctuation not found, please reboot

Telonius
2011-05-05, 09:41 PM

Strangely enough, that fits me as well. Though I have played a multiclass Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer who specializes in Enchantment spells. :nale:

Jjeinn-tae
2011-05-05, 09:42 PM
All of the Martial Adepts (just got ToB today :smallbiggrin:) Shadowcaster, Archivist and Factotum... Don't have the books for any of the last :smallfrown:

And I second that OA Shaman is fun, played a goblin that one of the spirits he consorted with was a pebble he carried around in his pocket.

Divide by Zero
Either Binder or Dread Necromancer. Aside from theoretical builds, I've made several of each for campaigns that never happened.

Oh, and Truenamer, but this next campaign should actually happen, so that's probably about to change.

Hiro Protagonest
RUN AWAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK ending punctuation not found, please reboot

I don't have the book with the truenamer, but by all accounts, it's horrible.

Aron Times
I've never played any of thr ToB classes, though I have played plenty of warrior types in 4e. My first ever character in 4e was a warlord/wizard, which would be similar to a warblade/wizard gish in 3.5.

Lateral
2011-05-05, 09:46 PM

I have it, but I haven't read through it. Really, all you need to look through is Zaq's guide in his signature. 'RUN AWAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK' indeed.

Zaq
2011-05-05, 09:49 PM
Either Binder or Dread Necromancer. Aside from theoretical builds, I've made several of each for campaigns that never happened.

Oh, and Truenamer, but this next campaign should actually happen, so that's probably about to change.

May Pun-Pun have mercy on your soul. My thread has some advice, but the best advice I can give, well, I already gave it to Swiftmongoose.

The Monk is "horrible." The Truenamer is more "endlessly baffling and immensely frustrating."

I have it, but I haven't read through it. Really, all you need to look through is Zaq's guide in his signature. "RUN AWAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK" indeed.

Fun fact: Every time I read the Truenamer chapter in-depth, I discover something new and stupid.

arguskos
2011-05-05, 09:50 PM
The Monk is "horrible." The Truenamer is more "endlessly baffling and immensely frustrating."
But see, that's why I want to play one. It's like a challenge, and your thread showed that it can, in fact, be done. Face it, you basically wrote the Optimization Handbook for Truenaming.

Zaq
2011-05-05, 09:54 PM
But see, that's why I want to play one. It's like a challenge, and your thread showed that it can, in fact, be done. Face it, you basically wrote the Optimization Handbook for Truenaming.

While I cannot deny this, I can never decide how I feel about it.

I'm sorely tempted to write a proper Truenamer handbook, but two things stand in my way. The first (and most obvious) bit is that it's a fairly bit time investment. The second is that I really don't want to be responsible for encouraging anyone to play a Truenamer.

arguskos
2011-05-05, 09:55 PM
While I cannot deny this, I can never decide how I feel about it.

I'm sorely tempted to write a proper Truenamer handbook, but two things stand in my way. The first (and most obvious) bit is that it's a fairly bit time investment. The second is that I really don't want to be responsible for encouraging anyone to play a Truenamer.
You already are, pal, you already are. I mean, look at the massive response you garnered by doing what you did! You're like the truenaming posterboy! No one else had the guts to do what you did, after all.

Etrivar
2011-05-05, 09:58 PM
Warblade and Duskblade. Most of the time I just have a DM that is unwilling to let ToB and PHBII in, because they don't like 'em.

Infernalbargain
2011-05-05, 10:00 PM
I've just never got a chance to play dread necro. I play in PF-only groups now though, so likely it'll be quite a while before I get another opportunity.

Lateral
2011-05-05, 10:05 PM
Warblade and Duskblade. Most of the time I just have a DM that is unwilling to let ToB and PHBII in, because they don't like 'em.

But... but... bwa... *head a splodes*

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-05, 10:08 PM
Warblade and a proper Swordage, I have tons of builds that haven't seen the table which involve one or the other (in some cases even both).. alas I no longer have a RL 3.5 group.

I am also very intrigued by the Incarnates and Totemists....

Zaq
2011-05-05, 10:12 PM

But... but... bwa... *head a splodes*

Yeah, I've come to sadly expect banning ToB because of some weird dislike for it, but what's wrong with PHB2? It's one of the least offensive books out there. The only real complaint I can see is that the Beguiler steps on the Rogue's toes rather a lot, but other than that? Weird.

Nachtritter
2011-05-05, 10:13 PM
I'm going to have to go with ninja on this one. Yes, I know, ninjas aren't the most spectacular of classes when it comes to abilities or feats or even special powers, but... dammit, there's something about being able to play a full-on ninja that screams pure entertainment.

Naturally, if I ever get a chance to play a ninja, he will look like this:

http://sensitivitytothings.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/richard-harrison.jpg

Godfrey Ho comin' atcha, goblins. Best step back before I turn into an exploding fish or put on my NIN-(guy with sword)-JA headband and wail on you.

TARDIS
2011-05-05, 10:15 PM
RUN AWAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Yeah, that is pretty much why I haven't tried it yet. I mean, I take a look at it and think "this is a really cool concept, and I like the idea of skill based magic, and some of these utterances look really nifty as well. It might be fun to give it a whirl." Then I go onto the internet and discover that it's about as fun as being [redacted] with a [redacted] while [redacted] and [redacted] while also [redacted] and, worst of all, being forced to watch and listen to Rachel Black's Friday endlessly, unable to stop due to being bound with the aforementioned [redacted].

But I've seen some interested fixes here at on the old WotC boards... maybe I'll try those... maybe. I have a list of other classes to try first rather than risk being [redacted].

Strangely enough, that fits me as well. Though I have played a multiclass Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer who specializes in Enchantment spells. :nale:

Well played! Bravo! :smallbiggrin:

Dralnu
2011-05-05, 10:19 PM
Warblade, only because I played Capcom vs. SNK and there was this chick with a katana who would keep her weapon sheathed, unsheath and attack at the same time, and re-sheath. I want to do something similar to that while having more options than just "I power attack." Unfortunately, Warblade would be staggeringly OP in my RL groups.

Other than that, all three PHB2 base classes look wicked awesome: Beguiler, Dragon Shaman, and Duskblade.

balistafreak
2011-05-05, 10:21 PM
Want to play a Dread Necromancer, but no one will let me due to my effusive love of minions, with which Dread Necromancer would "get preposterously out of hand". And I have to agree with them there. :smallfrown:

I mean, I'm the guy who wanted to play a PF Shaper/Thrallherd (screw lack of synergy, Astral Constructs!) with a Summoner "fix'd" to have his summon monster SLA usable even with the eidolon, albeit with a cap of "one casting active at a time only". 5+ things to manage on the battlefield. Wut. This is D&D, not Final Fantasy. :smallamused:

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-05, 10:28 PM
Oddly enough... Archivist. I've been building one for like, four weeks now, and every time I look back, I see some new awesome dimension to add.

But... we... still... haven't... played.

I've been building this guy so long, I've forgotten the original layers of abusively powerful awesome I put on him. The things that initially drew me to the class- dark knowledge with knowledge pumping for party buffs- seems trivial now. Why do I need to influence a few petty dice rolls when I have a flock of zombie birds dropping stoneshaped vials of Greensickness onto the enemy's camp, paralyzing every enemy with a pulse while the undead ones flee from days-per-level glowing rocks that damage them from 120 feet with no save?

*breathes*

If he makes me wake another week, I figure I'm just going to ascend to divinity and get on with it.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-05, 10:41 PM
May Pun-Pun have mercy on your soul. My thread has some advice, but the best advice I can give, well, I already gave it to Swiftmongoose.

I've come up with a fix that I think might make it decent (probably going to make a thread about it later), but if the DM rejects that, well, I like to think I'm a pretty good optimizer. I can probably make it at least not total dead weight.

The Ogre
2011-05-05, 11:24 PM
The Shadowcaster us pretty neat in terms of fluff. I never played one since they always seem rather lackluster every time I consider building one.

I've wanted to play a Dragon Shaman (for obvious reasons) but can't since I lack the PHB2. Plus, that book is absurdly hard for me to find at a reasonable price.

Vangor
2011-05-05, 11:36 PM
Psion, or anything psychic, in fact. I love the psionics system, how alien psionics are represented, and the ability to focus on wise characters rather than pious or otherwise devoted ones (as with clerics and druids), but never had an opportunity to since our new party. Currently have to fulfill roles undone by the group and without shattering the gaming world and outdoing folk. Factotum for this campaign, bard campaign before.

Derjuin
2011-05-05, 11:42 PM
Probably Wilder, and Truenamer. Wilder because I have this awesome amazing idea for the character that I can't ever seem to get in to a game, and Truenamer because it feels like it might be fun having the challenge.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-05-05, 11:42 PM
Wow, reading this thread has made me realize just how many different characters I've played... to be honest, few base classes remain that I haven't played, and more importantly, I would want to play.

For instance, I've never played a druid. For some reason they've never interested me in the slightest.

There are countless prestige classes I've never played that I'd want to take a crack at, number one on the list probably being Malconvoker, but that sentiment is somewhat pointless considering the preposterous number of prestige classes out there.

Oh, and Derjuin, love the god-tier Vriskatar. Have for some time.

Derjuin
2011-05-05, 11:44 PM
Oh, and Derjuin, love the god-tier Vriskatar. Have for some time.

:smallredface::smallbiggrin: Thanks!

I bet you can guess who my Wilder concept is based off of... :smallwink:

Draz74
2011-05-05, 11:56 PM
Hmmm, I guess the only not-mostly-Core game I've actually played was the one I DM'ed. So I guess the only base classes I've actually played (in 3e) are Wizard, Rogue, Cleric, Fighter, Bard. I might be forgetting a couple short-lived campaigns. But then, I might not; I do tend to DM a fair amount.

My highest priorities to try out would probably be Psion, Factotum, and Warblade. But there's loads of others I'd like to take a shot at.

I would actually like to try out a Truenamer too. But only if we were starting at Level 9+, so I could use only my swift actions to try to actually truename stuff. (Yay Quicken!) My standard actions would be used either firing arrows (yay Knowledge Devotion!) or UMDing wands.

Pentachoron
2011-05-06, 12:07 AM
Definitely Bard for me. I've even got a great concept about one that fights/performs in a Capoeira style, but every time I've played in the last while there's been a need for a specific archetype so I've had to shelf my Bard.

Elric VIII
2011-05-06, 12:53 AM
I notice that Beguiler has not been mentioned nearly enough. Is that because everyone else has played it or am I the only one who likes it?

Draz74
2011-05-06, 12:57 AM
I notice that Beguiler has not been mentioned nearly enough. Is that because everyone else has played it or am I the only one who likes it?

My inner Rogue is still bitter about being outclassed in its own party role by a full caster. :smallmad:

That being said, yes, I'd like to try a Beguiler. I like skill points, and I like low-bookkeeping. It just doesn't make my Top 3 list.

Akal Saris
2011-05-06, 01:01 AM

Beguiler is high on my list. Binder is my favorite base class I haven't gotten to play, followed by crusader, then warblade, then I suppose beguiler, and then maybe witch from PF's APG.

Come to think of it, I've never played a wizard past 3rd level...weird...

Oh! And swordsage is awesome. 2 thumbs up, would play again.

Edit: Oh! And I'd like to try the water variant of the ninja, to see how effective a poisoner I could make out of it.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 01:15 AM

I'm not a fan of fixed spell lists, personally. Only reason I like the Dread Necromancer is because I'd be spending more time playing with my undead than casting spells.

Doc Roc
2011-05-06, 01:17 AM
Binder, for me. Seems that's true for a lot of people.

SuperFish
2011-05-06, 01:20 AM
Definitely Duskblade here. The one-session Duskblade/Scout gestalt doesn't count.

MeeposFire
2011-05-06, 01:26 AM

well not many classes can claim the level of fluff that comes with it and have mechanics that actually work well. Seriously how many classes have that level of fluff? 1,2,3?

I have to say I have wanted to try a factotum, swordsage, and the truenamer (whether original or after my modifications) since I already played a binder, warblade, and DFA. There is a fun thread on the WotC site (3.5 character optimization) that is still being updated using a truenamer optimization diary. Seems to be having a lot of fun and not doing too bad though archers a common nemesis.

Thurbane
2011-05-06, 01:50 AM
Maybe we should all start a PbP with a whole party of Binders? :smalltongue:

MeeposFire
2011-05-06, 01:59 AM

Binders and truenamers apparently. Maybe it should just be a ToM game?:smallcool:

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 02:05 AM
Binders and truenamers apparently. Maybe it should just be a ToM game?:smallcool:

That sounds like a ton of fun, actually. I'd totally be in if I had the time to keep up with a PbP game.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-06, 02:14 AM
I've never actually played a Dragonfire Adept.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-06, 02:18 AM
I've never played a Bard. I guess my love for stealth is just too at odds with the idea of someone going around purposely making noise. But I've had this idea kicking around about a character who chants and dances constantly, rather than speaking and walking. Bard/War Chanter/Dervish/Shadowdancer, using Ventriloquism, plus Hide and Move Silently ─ constantly bopping and crying out, but rarely seen or pinpointed by sound.

Greymane
2011-05-06, 02:24 AM
I... I have realized that in the few years I've played D&D, I've never once picked up a Fighter. And I likely never will because we have Tome of Battle. Whether I somehow figured out they were far out-classed by their casting fellows in the PHB, I'm not sure, but I've never actually rolled up a Fighter or a Monk even.

Binder is one class I want to really try out. I own the book, but we lack a DM other than myself. I've also really wanted to try out Incarnum of any sort, but we don't even own that book. :smallfrown:

Warblade, only because I played Capcom vs. SNK and there was this chick with a katana who would keep her weapon sheathed, unsheath and attack at the same time, and re-sheath. I want to do something similar to that while having more options than just "I power attack." Unfortunately, Warblade would be staggeringly OP in my RL groups.

I had a Warblade with the odd Swordsage level for something like this. Had a houserule that enabled him to get Iaijutsu Focus as a class skill forever. He used a wooden sword and his name was Kawakami. Cookie to all those who know the reference.

MeeposFire
2011-05-06, 02:27 AM
Isn't there a subsonics feat or something that lets you sing without being heard?

Elric VIII
2011-05-06, 02:54 AM
I'm not a fan of fixed spell lists, personally. Only reason I like the Dread Necromancer is because I'd be spending more time playing with my undead than casting spells.

I like to think of it as having a larger spell selection than the Rogue, rather than a smaller selection than a Wizard. But that's honestly the only reason I haven't played one yet. I'm waiting for the game that has Wizard/Sorcerer banned.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-06, 04:00 AM
Isn't there a subsonics feat or something that lets you sing without being heard?
Yeah; Subsonics is in Complete Adventurer, and I'd probably pick that up as well. But I like the idea of frustrating enemies at the same time as I'm buffing allies.

Violet Octopus
2011-05-06, 04:01 AM
Top three in order: Crusader, Psion (Shaper), Binder.

Crusader because I've never gotten to play a ToB class, and I like the "divine inspiration" random readying mechanic of the crusader. Add to that my desire to play a heavily devout character, and the fact that I've been playing a lot of bardy utility characters lately (so a melee tank would be a nice change), and Crusader edges out over Warblade and Swordsage.

Shaper is obviously for tailor-making fun minions on the fly, and the nice immediate-action party-protecting buffs psionics has. Most games I play tend to be low level though. The last mid-level campaign I played in was no-psionics, because the DM didn't think it was sufficiently different from magic to bother making available. However, if the Dreamscarred Press update is in use, I'd probably go with a Wilder that uses some of the party-buffing options.

Binder is third because of the aforementioned glut of fifth-wheel characters, but also because it'd need a group/campaign that'd help me bring out the full roleplaying potential of the class. The mechanics are fun, but half of the reason I want to play one is a warforged binder character I've had on file for years.

Telonius
2011-05-06, 07:14 AM
I've never played a Bard. I guess my love for stealth is just too at odds with the idea of someone going around purposely making noise. But I've had this idea kicking around about a character who chants and dances constantly, rather than speaking and walking. Bard/War Chanter/Dervish/Shadowdancer, using Ventriloquism, plus Hide and Move Silently ─ constantly bopping and crying out, but rarely seen or pinpointed by sound.

Perform (Pantomime) might be able to fix that. On the other hand, that might be even more hazardous to his health than singing.

only1doug
2011-05-06, 07:15 AM
Dragonfire Adept & Warlock.

Long term game ended (now playing shadowrun again) without any further deaths for my PC so I never got to play them, my next character would of been a pixie-lock probably (I'd already overdone the dragon side for that group).

Feytalist
2011-05-06, 08:34 AM
Next in line for me to play is Shadowcaster. I'm not quite sure how much fun it'll be, but I've always wanted to. Then Favoured Soul.

Quietus
2011-05-06, 08:54 AM
Hmmm... Factotum keeps popping up. A Warblade might be fun sometime, but I tend to lean toward Swordsage when ToB is available. I would have a much longer list, but I have a lot of classes I can't say I've NEVER played... just ones I've played for one session (or less, in some PbP's).

Veyr
2011-05-06, 09:19 AM
Heh, first character I ever played was a Beguiler.

Hehe, I'd be interested. I have played a Binder before, but only briefly. And they are just about my favorite class.

Sdonourg
2011-05-06, 09:25 AM
How could I forgot jester? This is a fun, balanced class, but I haven't played one yet.

Amphetryon
2011-05-06, 09:48 AM
Hexblade is one I keep wanting to play but can't find a game where it'd fit.

Carbon12
2011-05-06, 09:49 AM
Hmm...Bard, Truenamer, ToB classes, and Dread Necromancer. Just don't play very many campaigns, and when we do, they tend to either last forever or die out REAL quick.

Aricandor
2011-05-06, 11:25 AM
- Shadowcaster with the houserules giving them almost twice as many mysteries and entirely Int-based casting. The fluff is so tasty, and with some souped up crunch I think it'd be so much fun to play.
- Telepath and shaper psions. Played a seer but I love psions. Want to play more.

RaginChangeling
2011-05-06, 02:57 PM
Dread Necromancer, Beguiler and, oddly enough, Wizard for me.

I think I've played virtually every other base class that interests me,

Binder, Dragonfire Adept, Warlock, Sorcerer, Ranger, Barbarian, Psychic Warrior, Psion, Wilder, Druid, Totemist, Incarnate, Rogue, Factotum, Swordsage, Warblade, Bard, Shugenja, Scout, Archivist.

Unfortunately, most of them have been for quickly dying PbPs. I've only ever played a Swordsage and Bard for any length of time. :smallfrown:

peacenlove
2011-05-06, 04:20 PM
Next in line for me to play is Shadowcaster. I'm not quite sure how much fun it'll be, but I've always wanted to. Then Favoured Soul.

If you use Drow of the underdark there is the Imperious command feat. Coupled with class skill intimidate, fearsome armor (Same book) and part-charisma casting you will have SOMETHING to do the 80% of time you run out of mysteries. Players guide to faerun adds Dreadful wrath.
Also there was a thread about giving a decent at will supernatural ability from lords of darkness.

Me? I want to play a binder/PF antipaladin melee superbeast, but no tolerance for evil players atm. Always played the goody do exalted rogue, the enigmatic shadowcaster or the nerdy wizard so there :smalltongue:
PF Witch is also a given, because of her potent role as a debuffer and her open ended fluff.
ToB are okay classes and I have utilized them regularly as a DM, however I am a sucker for supernatural or magical abilities.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-06, 04:49 PM
The class I most want to play is the Shadowcaster, going through the whole Noctumancer/MT to be an unbeatable god of counterspelling.

Optimator
2011-05-06, 05:02 PM
I've always wanted to try a Duskblade.

Velaryon
2011-05-06, 05:57 PM
I used to want to play a Dread Necromancer really badly, but one of my players has one in my campaign that's done almost exactly how I would have done it, so I'm content with just watching him in action. Only thing I'd have done differently than him is pick up Destruction Retribution and make me some zombie bombs.

I guess my favorite class that I've "never" played would be Crusader. I did once play a gish character that had two levels of Crusader, but that hardly counts. I keep thinking about multiclassing my epic Warblade / Swordsage into Crusader, but I haven't made up my mind to do so yet.

Factotum is also really appealing. I've always been a fan of jack-of-all-trades characters, and it would be nice to play one that doesn't require a bunch of multiclassing.

And for that matter, I've never done anything with any of the Incarnum classes, although I've had the book for awhile now.

AlhazTheRed
2011-05-06, 06:09 PM
I mostly(only if I'm being honest) DM, so I get to 'play' any class I please. That said, I've never seen much done with Druids, and would love to play one. I think a long running npc may be in order...

Mayhem
2011-05-06, 10:09 PM
Definitely want to try hexblade. Sure everyone says they suck, but their fluff is great. Too bad by the level you get your familiar it's become less useful, but I wouldn't trade it away.

Coidzor
2011-05-06, 10:14 PM
Hmm... Binder is pretty high up there. Been rather interested in Bards since I found out what all they could do. Mystic Ranger/Wild Shape Ranger if variants are kosher.

Kinda interested in the 3.5ization of the OA Shaman though...

TOZ
2011-05-06, 11:54 PM
For me, it would have to be Sorcerer and Druid. I really wish I had played a full caster in the one epic game I played in. I imagine it would have gone much differently actually having a non-melee character to contribute.

Gecks
2011-05-07, 10:17 AM
I would have to say Crusader, and fortunately I am going to finally be able to bust out that dwarven crusader I've been planning in the back of my head for eons later this summer when my RL group starts a new campaign. :smallcool:

Favoured Soul and Warlock are also high on my list. I would also love the chance to try out my (white belt level) opt-fu making a decent and/or fun dragon shaman or knight build one of these days.

Kylarra
2011-05-07, 10:34 AM
Truenamer

just kidding, I mean Beguiler. I really want to play a Beguiler Beguiler.

ShiningStarling
2011-05-07, 11:20 AM
For me I would say Bard, its just flat out fun looking. Also Paladin, I would play one if it wasn't a pointless enterprise. Of course, me with my over-correcting mind, have come up with fixes for both that could give them play time, but I'm not sure if they'll ever see daylight. :smallfrown:

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-05-07, 11:48 AM
There are a lot of classes I've only played for maybe one or two sessions in a game before the campaign just dissolves for one reason or another. Discounting the classes I've played in those, I've been itching for a long while to play all of a factotum, totemist, binder, warblade, and psychic warrior. Odds are, I'll probably mix and match with the likes of a Factotum of War and a Midnight Occultist. Maybe throw the Psy Warrior together with Ranger for taste.:smallbiggrin:

FMArthur
2011-05-07, 12:52 PM
I've always wanted to try out some combination of Ranger variants at some point. There are a ridiculous amount of them and most of them are compatible, making it a sort of Frankenstein of customized features.

I'd especially like to see a SotAO Mystic Ranger in action, maybe with other Ranger variants like the Power Attack/Improved Sunder/Great Cleave weapon style from Dragon 326 and Favored Enemy: Wizards-And-Other-Awesome-Foes from Complete Mage. You can even give up tracking to get trapfinding and Disable Device (Dungeonscape), or gain Wild Shape and Fast Movement instead of a weapon style (!!!!). The nonspellcasing variant from CW is hilariously bad, but the one from Complete Champion, whiles still bad and gives you a bonus feat every four levels from the standard list of feats the designers think warriors should take, might at least possess some interesting features.

Since I DM and never play, I usually do get the chance to try out all sorts of classes as the players explore strange lands. Maybe I'll make a whole Ranger guild out to get the party, and try it all out at once. While it's possible to build one Ranger who covers every party role, it might be interesting to fill out a whole party of Rangers whose skillsets are so different that they don't even seem like the same classes.

Alleine
2011-05-07, 12:54 PM
Binder, totemist, archivist, artificer, binder, factotum, any ToB, rogue, bard, barbarian, binder, dragonfire adept.

I've played a binder character twice now, and both times the campaign sorta fell apart AND I was forced to play a role I hadn't envisioned. "What, you have potential for healing and no one else wants to play a cleric? Yay! Waste one of your two vestiges on pathetic and slow healing." Because I didn't get enough of being a healstick from a 1 to 17 campaign where that was my primary function. :smallannoyed:

The other problem is that pretty much 90% of these characters will be overshadowed by the rest of my current group. :smallfrown:

Divide by Zero
2011-05-07, 01:17 PM
Truenamer

just kidding, I mean Beguiler. I really want to play a Beguiler Beguiler.

There really needs to be a buffalo class, and then houseruling an anthropomorphic buffalo race would be easy enough.

Jude_H
2011-05-07, 06:21 PM
Nearly every game, I make a concept, ask Which class should I use for this, think for a second, and say Factotum!

Then I look at it and its abilities that scream "I can do anything well!"
Then I look at the way I have to catch myself to keep from hogging the game's spotlight anyway.
Then roll up another support caster or bard. :smallsigh:

balistafreak
2011-05-07, 08:08 PM
There really needs to be a buffalo class, and then houseruling an anthropomorphic buffalo race would be easy enough.

What a load of bull.

Thurbane
2011-05-07, 08:25 PM
Duno about Beguiler Beguiler...I'd rather be a Warforged Warmage/Warlock/War Weaver/Warshaper/Warchief/Warmaster...but the reqs would be murder.

Zaq
2011-05-08, 02:49 AM

I see what you did there.

And I approve.

navar100
2011-05-08, 03:47 AM
Warblade
Favored Soul
Psion
Erudite
Wizard
Druid

If you include Pathfinder:
Paladin