PDA

View Full Version : Too close for comfort?

Kobold-Bard
2011-05-06, 05:43 AM
I'd like to start a thread asking about spells that can mimic the effects of the 10 Plagues of Egypt (its for an IRL game).

I'm a bit paranoid on the "better safe than sorry" front so: would that be too close to religion for the forums? What if I put a big old warning about only discussing the spells that I need & not religion?

John Cribati
2011-05-06, 07:05 AM
I'd like to start a thread asking about spells that can mimic the effects of the 10 Plagues of Egypt (its for an IRL game).

I'm a bit paranoid on the "better safe than sorry" front so: would that be too close to religion for the forums? What if I put a big old warning about only discussing the spells that I need & not religion?

Essentially, you want to mimic something that happened in a work of literature. I would just list what you want the spells to do and make no reference to religion.

Killer Angel
2011-05-06, 07:32 AM
Essentially, you want to mimic something that happened in a work of literature.

This seems more a lawyer's trick... :smalltongue:
Anyway, I'm no Mod, but the prohibition on real world religious discussion isn't limited to moral, doctrinal or dogmatic references to religion. It's intentionally much broader and includes such topics intersecting with gaming.

John Cribati
2011-05-06, 07:54 AM
Well, he's referencing a book. That's it.

"I want a spell that will summon a swarm of frogs."

"I want a spell that can turn a large body of water into blood."

and so on.

He doesn't need to bring up religion, or bring up that he was inspired by the text.

EDIT: Although the rules do say that if you have second guesses about whether or not what you post is forum appropriate, you're better off just not posting it.

Serpentine
2011-05-06, 09:21 AM
I think you should be alright, but that doesn't mean you will be...

Kobold-Bard
2011-05-06, 09:26 AM
Essentially, you want to mimic something that happened in a work of literature. I would just list what you want the spells to do and make no reference to religion.

I was going to do that, but if it's not allowed then I get an irritated PM from the Mods, and seeing that little counter under my avatar going up is a bit annoying.

Irbis
2011-05-06, 09:28 AM
Anyway, I'm no Mod, but the prohibition on real world religious discussion isn't limited to moral, doctrinal or dogmatic references to religion.

Using this reasoning, I dare you to find any kind of everyday activity, food, leisure or work not invented during last 25 years that doesn't have religious connections or isn't religiously regulated in some way.

Killer Angel
2011-05-06, 09:38 AM
Using this reasoning, I dare you to find any kind of everyday activity, food, leisure or work not invented during last 25 years that doesn't have religious connections or isn't religiously regulated in some way.

I could agree with you, but I took that phrase (obviously, not the "I'm no Mod" part :smalltongue:) from a PM of Roland... (I asked him the permission for a thread similar to the OP's request, but mine was indeed more religious)

Serpentine
2011-05-06, 09:40 AM
Yeah, it's not us you need to convince.

Kobold-Bard
2011-05-06, 09:43 AM
Yeah, it's not us you need to convince.

More important question: how come you changed your username?

Roland St. Jude
2011-05-06, 10:21 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: "I want to replicate these 10 things from the Bible" is plainly prohibited as a discussion topic. Calling it just literary is specious sophistry. If you can keep your original post religious reference free, and people can keep their responses religious reference free, go for it. It'll stay open until someone crosses the line.

Also, I'd like to make two other points.

First, people would be wise not to answer questions in Board Issues unless there is a simple, straightforward answer and they know they are correct. This is doubly true for people with a history of trouble staying within the Forum Rules. It confuses the discussion and has the potential to lead people astray. Sure, the OP will hang in and wait for a mod answer, but others may just read the thread at some intermediate point and think what you've said is accurate.

Second, Board Issues is not the place to dispute or argue about the Forum Rules or their application. If you have a problem with an act of moderation, take that up via PM with the mod that did it. If that's not satisfactory, PM me. Regarding Forum Rules or larger policy issues, PM me. Disrespectful comments about the moderators or their moderating are prohibited by the Forum Rules.