PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Equipment for Under 500 GP

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-06, 09:58 AM
I like the Chaos Flask, from Planar Handbook. It's a small flask of raw limbo that you can (with a DC 13 wisdom check) shape into.... anything. Well, anything small. Even living creatures.

Best part is, the description lacks the magic words- "Objects created this way cannot be used as spell components." That means that you can use this 100GP item to simulate *any* small spell component, of any cost. Beter yet, mix it with minor, major or true creation, and you have a way to get any material in the game, without having to visit a town.

What are your all's favorites?

Telonius
2011-05-06, 10:20 AM
Any of the Alchemical items, really, but Tanglefoot Bag is my favorite.

thompur
2011-05-06, 10:50 AM
Quaal's Feather Tokens. I especially like the 'Oak Tree" one.

myancey
2011-05-06, 11:04 AM
Caltrops...most useful item ever.

Even though its probably more than 500gp...eventually the bag of caltrops.

Geigan
2011-05-06, 11:12 AM
10. foot. poles. :smallcool:

Also the spider poles from arms & equipment, which are essentially poles you can disassemble(no more complaints about how awkward a 10 ft pole would be to carry in a pack, let alone multiples), can be assembled into various other shapes(ladders, catchpoles, battle standard pole, small bridge, etc.), and are still mundane so cheap as hell. Never leave home without em.

Also oil, torches, flasks, crowbars, grappling hooks, and a LOOOOOOOOOT of rope.

kestrel404
2011-05-06, 11:37 AM
Shapesand. Like the chaos flask, except that it's 100gp for 12 pounds of the stuff and you can create things as large as you like with it.

Like siege weapons. Or castles.

Akal Saris
2011-05-06, 11:52 AM
Quickdraw Crystals from the MIC - 300g to get the Quick Draw feat for a weapon.

Doc Roc
2011-05-06, 11:58 AM
+1 eager _______ shuriken, mouthpick if you can sell yourself on it qualifying. Otherwise, it is still probably better than a staff.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-06, 12:06 PM
I have a soft spot for Tempo Bloodspikes, an extra move action for 150 GP and 1 HP? Sure, plus they are alchemical items so you can craft them for 50 GP I think

Ashiel
2011-05-06, 12:07 PM
Most of the stuff on the adventuring the equipment list in the PHB.
1) Oxen and Mules. Oxen are trade goods (15 gp in PF, and 20 GP in 3.x) and carry a crapload of gear. Donkeys and mules (mules are stronger) are specifically willing to enter dungeons and such (see their description).
2) Steel Mirrors. I like these for seeing around corners, and for delivering signals across great distances, or using the to reflect light around corners and the like.
3) Bullseye Lanterns. I love these things. They can work as normal lanterns, or project a beam of 60ft bright light (or as far as 120ft dim light). Combos well by casting a light spell on the wick.
4) Chalk (and lots of it). It's effectively weightless a cheap. Use it to mark trails inside a dungeon, or grind it up to make a powdery mess in a leather satchel. Ideal for screwing up invisibility via mundane means. I typically buy it in pouches of 100 pieces.
5) Clay jugs. While these are really heavy, so I don't like carrying them myself, they combo exceptionally well with oxen (who might as well hold up the world). They can be used to take huge amounts of water around, or filled with oil to make large firebombs. You can also store ale, wine, sand, blood (for certain magics), or holy water in them.
6) Sling. Slings are effectively weightless, and free. All my characters have a sling. They are as much a utility item as a weapon. You can cast light on a rock and hurl it up to 500 feet away. You could load alchemical goods (like acid flasks) instead of bullets (even if your GM decides that it would be a -4 penalty for nonproficiency or something, it's a touch attack so no biggie most of the time). It can also be used to tie something if needed.
7) Rope. Hemp (if your ox is carrying it) or Silk (if you are), you can't have too much rope. Use it to tie people up, climb with, or even tie yourselves to your party members so nothing can whisk you away in the dark.
8) Canvas. This stuff is cheap and allows you to write messages, map dungeons, and so forth.
9) 10ft Pole. 'Cause you have to.

Magic Items
1) Feather tokens. Any of them. You'll find a use (tree is a favorite).
2) Orb of create water 1/day (200 gp). Allows you to create 2 gallons of water per day. Excellent for survival considerations.
3) Orb of purify food and drink 1/day (200 gp). Similar to #2.
4) Gauntlet of magic weapon 1/day (400 gp). Allows you to cast magic weapon once per day, allowing you to make any weapon a +1 weapon for 10 rounds. A cheap method of getting past magic DR at low levels, or enchanting an off-weapon (like armor spikes).
5) A pass without trace 1/day item (400 gp). 1 hour worth of being impossible to track is often enough to get away.
6) A longstrider 1/day item (400 gp). 1 hour worth of being +10ft faster.
7) A goodberry 1/day item (400 gp). As good as create food most of the time.

That's enough for now, I think.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-06, 12:55 PM
Items of Lesser Vigor. If your party lacks access to a decent source of healing, then these things will heal lots of hp quite cheaply.

Items of Guidance of the Avatar to get a hefty bonus to skill checks.

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-06, 12:59 PM
Shapesand. Like the chaos flask, except that it's 100gp for 12 pounds of the stuff and you can create things as large as you like with it.

Like siege weapons. Or castles.

Useful, yes, but as I read it, it only makes stuff that's made out of sands- so, no poisons, alchemical substances or spell components. Mind, I could be wrong either way- maybe you *can* make that stuff from shapesand, or maybe flasks of chaos only make stuff out of elemental chaos.

Items of Guidance of the Avatar to get a hefty bonus to skill checks.

I'm not familiar- where are those from?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-06, 01:01 PM
Guidance of the Avatar is a cleric spell that gives +20 to a single skill check made after casting the spell; I assume it is a custom item.

Cog
2011-05-06, 01:02 PM
I'm not familiar- where are those from?
Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) is a spell.

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-06, 01:04 PM
Guidance of the Avatar is a cleric spell that gives +20 to a single skill check made after casting the spell; I assume it is a custom item.

What book is that from? I've been hunting for cleric spells to buff skills (My archivist has Jack of all Trades), and I don't think I found that one.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-06, 01:06 PM
Google to the Rescue (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)

It is from a web article

Edit: Swordsaged... and it wasn't even intended :smalleek:

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 01:11 PM
Does the black sand from Sandstorm count? It doesn't have a listed price, but there's just so many uses for unlimited negative energy damage.

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-06, 01:12 PM

A scroll of it is best if you need to do something in an emergency and you need it done now.

It also works well for sacrifices (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197341).

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-06, 01:15 PM
Oh right... stupid me for forgetting about scrolls.>_<
Edit: though a wand would be pretty nice; I mean it doesn't depend on CL but it doesn't really falls on the under 500 GP :smallredface:

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-06, 01:58 PM
I remember seeing a lead-lined box or pocket in the Complete Scoundrel, that stops "detect" spells from seeing whatever item you have inside it.

Or, you know, the party halfling you polymorphed into a mouse for when you meet the paladin.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-06, 02:07 PM
Masterwork tools, "the perfect tool for the job". +2 bonus for only 50 gp.

Vladislav
2011-05-06, 02:10 PM
My favourite 'item' is a Guard Dog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#mountsAndRelatedGear) - for 25 gp, give yourself the equivalent of a Track feat.

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-06, 02:27 PM
My favourite 'item' is a Guard Dog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#mountsAndRelatedGear) - for 25 gp, give yourself the equivalent of a Track feat.

Ooh... that is nice. Mind, might be tough to control, mess up stealth missions, etc...

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-06, 02:36 PM
Ooh... that is nice. Mind, might be tough to control, mess up stealth missions, etc...

Just like a paladin :smalltongue:

Vladislav
2011-05-06, 02:39 PM
Well, a Guard Dog has a a Dexterity of 16, and has a Small size, so its Hide and Move Silently modifiers are pretty good. A typical Fullplate-wearing Fighter, Cleric or Paladin is far more likely to mess up a stealth mission than a dog.

As for controlling him, one rank of Handle Animal is all you need. It's even in-class for Fighters and Paladins. Most tasks are DC 10, so you can just constantly take 10 on Handle Animal, as long as your Charisma isn't too atrocious.

LOL @Dusk Eclipse :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2011-05-06, 02:45 PM
As for controlling him, one rank of Handle Animal is all you need. It's even in-class for Fighters and Paladins. Most tasks are DC 10, so you can just constantly take 10 on Handle Animal, as long as your Charisma isn't too atrocious.
... except for when you're distracted or threatened, which happens most of the time when things get "interesting" in D&D. Having your guard dog start biting the party Wizard because those somatic components look threatening, and you unable to make a Handle Animal check, can certainly add excitement to an otherwise dull encounter. :smallbiggrin:

Vladislav
2011-05-06, 02:59 PM
...Having your guard dog start biting the party Wizard ....
I suggest you get a new DM.

Aemoh87
2011-05-06, 03:08 PM
... except for when you're distracted or threatened, which happens most of the time when things get "interesting" in D&D. Having your guard dog start biting the party Wizard because those somatic components look threatening, and you unable to make a Handle Animal check, can certainly add excitement to an otherwise dull encounter. :smallbiggrin:

Your DM really hates casters...

Thespianus
2011-05-06, 03:15 PM
Guidance of the Avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) is a spell.

*picking jaw off floor*

A level 2 spell giving a +20 bonus, as compared to Master's Touch or whatever it's called that gives a +4 bonus for the same spell level?

Casting time: 1 action? Is this a 3.0 spell?

Tvtyrant
2011-05-06, 03:22 PM
Added to my list of things a Truenaming Factotum needs.

Thespianus
2011-05-06, 03:25 PM
I'll bring it to the table with my Unseen Seer character, but I expect to have books thrown at me. ;)

HalfDragonCube
2011-05-06, 03:26 PM
*picking jaw off floor*

A level 2 spell giving a +20 bonus, as compared to Master's Touch or whatever it's called that gives a +4 bonus for the same spell level?

Casting time: 1 action? Is this a 3.0 spell?

Well... It is a competence bonus, so custom magic items rarely stack with it, but it is a tad OP.

The article is quite old, so I would guess that it is a 3.0 spell.

Add in things like Knowledge Devotion, some of the Archivist's class features and Iaijutsu Focus for awesomesauce at gishing.

Thespianus
2011-05-06, 03:34 PM
There's a 3.5 spell(2nd level Cleric) in SpC called "Divine Insight" that gives a 5 + CL(max +15) insight bonus to a skill check. I'm guessing that's intended to overrule this spell.

If not, the two bonuses stack. Good to know when you need a +35 bonus to a skill check. ;)

Curmudgeon
2011-05-06, 04:12 PM
If not, the two bonuses stack. Good to know when you need a +35 bonus to a skill check. ;)
The problem is that's not nearly enough sometimes. The Escape Artist DC to get out of a Forcecage spell is 120 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#passthroughWallofForce).

Thespianus
2011-05-06, 04:19 PM
The problem is that's not nearly enough sometimes. The Escape Artist DC to get out of a Forcecage spell is 120 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#passthroughWallofForce).
True, but we're talking about 2nd level spells. Available at level 3, granting you a bonus of +28 at that caster level. If you end up in a Forcecage at level 3, you have other problems. ;)

And with a Diplomacy check bonus of, say, +28+6(ranks at lvl 3)+1(cha bonus), you have a decent chance of befriending the person who put you in the Forcecage, and if you roll 15 or better on your D20, you'll even make him Helpful ;)

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-05-08, 06:50 PM
... except for when you're distracted or threatened, which happens most of the time when things get "interesting" in D&D. Having your guard dog start biting the party Wizard because those somatic components look threatening, and you unable to make a Handle Animal check, can certainly add excitement to an otherwise dull encounter. :smallbiggrin:I like the way you think :smallamused:
I suggest you get a new DM.No that's the perfect DM
Your DM really hates casters...See above

Aboleth mucus for an often no sa