PDA

View Full Version : pathfinder gnomish sorcerer help

jhardin87
2011-05-06, 12:59 PM
i'm making an 8th level gnomish sorcerer for a pathfinder campaign. i normally play frontline fighter characters and this is my first real forray into the relm of dedicated spellcasters and to be honest im a little lost. i'm wanting to focus mainly on offensive capabilities because thats more to my play style. any suggestions would be very welcome

CigarPete
2011-05-06, 01:07 PM
Are you tied to the Gnome? TBH, human or half-elf makes a much better sorcerer, human especially if you are able to use some of the alternative racial features from the APG, which gives you an extra spell known at each level-up.

That aside, a mailman-type build should still be largely possible, even without the cost-reducing shananigans available in 3.5. Focus on 1, maybe 2 damage spell/level and metamagic the heck out of them. Fill the rest of your spells known with battlefield control and buff/debuff spells and you are golden.

jhardin87
2011-05-06, 01:13 PM
much of the campaign is taking place in kobold tunnels so the gnome's small size and racial bonuses against kobolds is a definite advantage. plus the pathfinder gnome's charisma boost seemed like a no brainer for sorcerer. that and i just really like the idea of a gnome from a rollplaying standpoint.

CigarPete
2011-05-06, 01:23 PM
much of the campaign is taking place in kobold tunnels so the gnome's small size and racial bonuses against kobolds is a definite advantage. plus the pathfinder gnome's charisma boost seemed like a no brainer for sorcerer. that and i just really like the idea of a gnome from a rollplaying standpoint.

IMO, the main thing human gives you over gnome is the additional spells known. The pathfinder races are much more balanced than they are in 3.5, so I say go with it, maybe with an arcane bloodline, for a few additional spells and an item familiar. Flexibility in the moment is the main advantage of the sorcerer, and you'll get that. Stick with the 1 nuke/AoE per level, and metamagic the heck out of it.

Infernalbargain
2011-05-06, 01:31 PM
I suggest picking up reach spell. Arcane is mechanically the best in most aspects. Though draconic might be good for more blasty style. If you want to focus on fire damage specifically (or just take advantage of elemental spell), half-orc is good.