PDA

View Full Version : Red Dwarf 10?!

Thattaman
2011-05-06, 01:32 PM
Citizens of the United Kingdom, you may have heard the news that there is to be a new series of Red Dwarf coming out late 2011 (EDIT: 2012) on Dave. I don't know about the US, but I think Red Dwarf is mildly popular there (hmm?)

Thoughts on the matter: discuss.

mangosta71
2011-05-06, 02:00 PM
From what I've seen of the series, once they got beyond the material included in the first couple books (don't remember which predates the other) it quickly became ridiculous to the point that it wasn't really funny any more. If they do revive the series, I hope they get back to the feel that it originally had.

grimbold
2011-05-06, 02:14 PM
i am not sure if i should be glad for this or scared
i truly hope that this comes out well

Darkmyst
2011-05-06, 02:49 PM
Be afraid. It is horribly difficult to recapture the essence of a series that is past its prime, and if the most recent attempts of resurrecting RD are any indication of the quality we can expect...

Aidan305
2011-05-06, 02:57 PM
Given what I feel to be the very poor quality Back to Earth special that we had a couple of years back, I can safely say that I'm not going to be looking forward to another series of Red Dwarf. If I want re-hashed jokes and recycled plot devices I'll look elsewhere.

factotum
2011-05-06, 04:05 PM
Red Dwarf hasn't *really* been good since Doug Naylor and Rob Grant split up as a writing team in between seasons 6 and 7, and the Back to Earth specials last year were pretty much the nadir of quality. I suppose that hopefully means they can't get any worse, but I don't have high hopes for that...

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-06, 04:07 PM
Dave.

You... name your TV stations, with names?

Like "Oh hey I'm just watching Harold right now, because Susan is having her mum over again so you know how that goes PAINT PAINT PAINT all they show ugh."

EDIT: Huh, sure enough. Dave the TV. Weird.

Anyway, given that it dubs itself "The home of witty comedic programming" I would say that is a start.

GloatingSwine
2011-05-06, 04:08 PM
Red Dwarf finished at Series 5. Any hallucinations to the contrary are caused by exposure to despair squid and sufferers should sit down with a nice cup of tea until they feel better.

GloatingSwine
2011-05-06, 04:09 PM
You... name your TV stations, with names?

To be fair, Dave might as well be called "Top Gear Reruns", because that's pretty much all they show.

Eldan
2011-05-06, 04:12 PM
Red Dwarf finished at Series 5. Any hallucinations to the contrary are caused by exposure to despair squid and sufferers should sit down with a nice cup of tea until they feel better.

But I loved series 6. It had gunmen of the apocalypse and the Arnold Rimmer Song.

Dvil
2011-05-06, 04:13 PM
I liked RD up to (EDIT: and including) Series 7. I have to admit, I'm not optimistic for this. Even if it does mean more Craig Charles on my telly.

Edit for clarity

Athaniar
2011-05-06, 04:35 PM
I liked Back to Earth, and I'm optimistic for now. Of course, it'll probably be awful, but I'm still optimistic!

Nameless Ghost
2011-05-06, 06:07 PM
To be fair, Dave might as well be called "Top Gear Reruns", because that's pretty much all they show.
It's funny just how true this is.

Ehh, I don't have particularly high hopes for a reboot. I'll probably watch at least one episode. It may not be terrible.

Selrahc
2011-05-06, 06:09 PM

Only pre-watershed. Post watershed it becomes the panel show repeat channel.

Thufir
2011-05-07, 09:18 AM
Red Dwarf was good as far as the first two episodes of series 7. After that it had its moments, but the overall quality went downhill.
So, I'm skeptical about this.
Anyone got a link for this information?

Thattaman
2011-05-07, 11:26 AM
Anyone got a link for this information?

Here:
http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2011/04/15/new-series-of-red-dwarf-confirmed/

Darkmyst
2011-05-07, 12:15 PM
I think we can all agree that there was no series 8.

littlebottom
2011-05-08, 06:00 PM
there was a series 8, if only for the dwain dibbly family :smallbiggrin:

Dvil
2011-05-09, 06:10 PM
there was a series 8, if only for the dwain dibbly family :smallbiggrin:

I agree. I did enjoy that one scene.

Aotrs Commander
2011-05-10, 01:42 PM
I liked Back to Earth, and I quite liked season 8 (more than bits of season 7, though seven had it's moments, ironically in the first couple of episodes).

I, then, am looking forward to this new series.

I think season 5/6 were the apogee of Red Dwarf for me, though.

Triscuitable
2011-05-10, 09:14 PM
Citizens of the United Kingdom, you may have heard the news that there is to be a new series of Red Dwarf coming out late 2011 (EDIT: 2012) on Dave. I don't know about the US, but I think Red Dwarf is mildly popular there (hmm?)

Thoughts on the matter: discuss.

OXYGEN IS FOR LOSERS! *Removes helmet, head explodes*

littlebottom
2011-05-10, 09:31 PM
Well, i think it is mildly unfair to say it is not good anymore. largely because we hold its better series' in our mind.

tell me, how many things in the entire history of time, hit their prime and stayed there forever? Yeah, Red Dwarf may have hit its prime and be going down hill, doesnt mean its all that bad. just means its not as good as it was.

still, i would like to put forward that even the later series' of Red Dwarf were better than most things on TV these days that are not just constant repeats.

Cheesegear
2011-05-11, 07:18 AM
Nothing will ever be as amazing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYfnWRp1Q0)

Brother Oni
2011-05-12, 12:56 PM
Nothing will ever be as amazing. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYfnWRp1Q0)

What a guy. :smallbiggrin:

Phishfood
2011-05-12, 01:02 PM
Red Dwarf peaked in season 2 with Queeg.

"....see, it turns out shoes have soles."

"Its got a 6 in it but it ain't 6,000"

I very much fear the next season of Red Dwarf. Season 8 reduced it from excellent to average, Season 9 was....well. I think I'd rather be rubbed down with a cheese grater than watch the rest of ep 2 and ep 3.

So....by that trend Season 10 will be....oooooooh, so THIS is why the mayans said the world would end in 2012.

littlebottom
2011-05-13, 10:03 PM
"....see, it turns out shoes have soles."

you see, it turns out, that that was the best delivery of an absolutely abysmal joke ever, and its so bad, its good.

H Birchgrove
2011-05-14, 08:22 AM
I'll look forward to this. :smallbiggrin:

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-14, 11:09 AM
I've started watching the series for the first time, and I'm four episodes in. I can't imagine how it could be ruined.

I mean, honestly, it seems to consist of 90% inane bickering, but with clever jokes and Holly peppered in at regular intervals just enough so that you keep watching.

It's... rather hypnotic.

Weezer
2011-05-14, 11:27 AM
I've started watching the series for the first time, and I'm four episodes in. I can't imagine how it could be ruined.

I mean, honestly, it seems to consist of 90% inane bickering, but with clever jokes and Holly peppered in at regular intervals just enough so that you keep watching.

It's... rather hypnotic.

I know exactly what you mean. I started watching it because of this thread and I'm on season 6. It's engaging and as you said hypnotic but aside from a few outstanding episodes consists of occasional witticisms surrounded by inanity.

Imperial Psycho
2011-05-14, 11:34 AM
Man, now I'm going to have to dig out my old Red Dwarf DVDs.... See what you do, Internet?

(Also, Waxworld is the most hilarious thing ever. Accept no substitutes.)

Tiki Snakes
2011-05-14, 02:47 PM
This is the secret of Red Dwarf. It was always a bit rubbish. That was half the joke, practically. The only difference was, when it was new, it was new.

The only complaint I have against the infamous Dave miniseries was that they didn't use a laugh-track or audience of any kind. Whilst a good choice in some senses, (because actual laugh tracks are kind of cheesey and using an audience certainly limits locational stuff I expect), it does mean that it had a different atmosphere to the series.

Quality always varied, from moment to moment, joke to joke. The difference in quality between seasons is hugely exaggerated to my mind and I for one look forward to the new series because even if it is different or even a little bit less fresh than it used to be, I enjoy Red Dwarf and would like to see more. :smallsmile:

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-14, 09:02 PM
I find laugh tracks really irritating.

Triscuitable
2011-05-15, 06:16 PM

Which, last time I saw an episode, they had done away with it.

Weezer
2011-05-15, 07:34 PM

I've been watching a lot of older British comedy series lately and the whole live audience laughter has really grown on me. To the extent where I was watching Community last week and I caught myself anticipating the laughter after every joke. While it can be cheesy, audience laughter has it's upsides.