PDA

View Full Version : Best class for Shapeshift Druid gestalt?

Kobold-Bard
2011-05-06, 02:07 PM
I'm not great at picking good gestalt partnerships, so I come to the Playground for advice.

My first side is a melee focussed Shapeshift variant (PHB2) Druid. So no Natural Spell etc. for me. I'm also using a long-length PrC for the Druid so the other side will have to be base class(es) only.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
K-B

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 02:11 PM
Swordsage? Wis synergy, and the Tiger Claw maneuvers should fit thematically.

Zaranthan
2011-05-06, 02:14 PM
Obvious choices: any other tier 1 class. Cleric buffs synergize well.

More reasonably, rogue and barbarian offer you abilities that work when shifted and skill improvements. Heck, even a level of monk would be neat, the AC bonus stacks with the natural armor you get when shifted. Consider not wearing any armor in humanoid form just to avoid RAI disputes.

Druid//Ranger is always flavorful, and might give your animal companion a boost depending on when you enter that PrC.

Telonius
2011-05-06, 02:20 PM
Warlock. You're a bear that can shoot frickin' laser beams out of his eyes. What more do you want? :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2011-05-06, 02:23 PM
Swordsage? Wis synergy, and the Tiger Claw maneuvers should fit thematically.

Sound reasoning. I'm also not as up on ToB as I should be, will they work with natural weapons?

Obvious choices: any other tier 1 class. Cleric buffs synergize well.

More reasonably, rogue and barbarian offer you abilities that work when shifted and skill improvements. Heck, even a level of monk would be neat, the AC bonus stacks with the natural armor you get when shifted. Consider not wearing any armor in humanoid form just to avoid RAI disputes.

Druid//Ranger is always flavorful, and might give your animal companion a boost depending on when you enter that PrC.

Thanks much, good stuff.

Warlock. You're a bear that can shoot frickin' laser beams out of his eyes. What more do you want? :smallbiggrin:

You make a convincing argument Telonius. A very convincing argument...

Cog
2011-05-06, 02:38 PM
That gives me a thought. Ocular Spell (feat, Lords of Madness): you cast the spells ahead of time, so you get around the no-casting-while-shifted restriction, and unlike Eldritch Blast the effect specifically does come as a pair of rays from your eyes.

Goober4473
2011-05-06, 02:39 PM
Totemist//Druid seems to be pretty deadly, what with all the natural weapon buffs.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 02:44 PM
Sound reasoning. I'm also not as up on ToB as I should be, will they work with natural weapons?

Yes. Another option to consider might be Totemist, since most soulmelds have passive benefits.

Edit: I swear that post wasn't there when I started typing this.

Zaranthan
2011-05-06, 02:47 PM
Totemist//Druid seems to be pretty deadly, what with all the natural weapon buffs.

+1, I always forget that Incarnate and Totemist become godly in gestalt.

Kobold-Bard
2011-05-06, 02:48 PM
MoI is on the DM's ban list. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Gnaeus
2011-05-06, 02:50 PM
There is less wisdom synergy, but you could also choose any full BAB d10 or d12 class since you plan to melee a lot. Barbarian was mentioned, but Warblade and Crusader are also strong choices, and even the lowly fighter is worth looking at (if you pick your feats well).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-06, 08:28 PM
Swordsage 4/ Ardent 16, taking the 2nd-4th Swordsage levels based on what maneuvers/stances you want to learn. Get Practiced Manifester and the level of powers you can learn won't be delayed in the slightest bit. Both maneuvers and psionic powers can be used in shapeshift form, both classes are entirely Wis-based, and you can get psionic feats and take Autohypnosis ranks.