PDA

View Full Version : Necroleader Bard w/out being a cohort of a Necromancer

Coidzor
2011-05-06, 02:44 PM
Anyone know of any ways to do it within the rules or maybe know of a homebrewed fix of the Dirgesinger so that one could be a NecroBard at all?

About all I can think of offhand is UMDing wands/scrolls or being a Spell-stitched Necropolitan, possibly to the point of just using Dread Warriors. Or...*shudder* Relying on Fell Animate and using only zombies.

Was reminded of this combination curiosity/desire when I was skimming this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197520&page=4)

Also... Anything along the lines of decent humanoid types without finding things with high RHD and such or animate dread warrioring it up?

...Or using Undead Empathy + Diplomancy to get diplomanced undead servants, because by that point, well... Diplomancy, enough said, really.

edit: While we're on the subject though... Anyone know of any homebrew, like a fix of the Dirgesinger or even a tweak that would be good here? Or a PrC that's good for dipping along the lines of the Sandshaper for adding necromantic spells known.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-05-06, 02:47 PM
There is a feat, I forget which, that allows you to use cleric levels to advance some bard abilites, including bardsong. Go Bard 1/Cloistered Cleric X and you'll have both bardic power and Cleric casting, which means you'll be an awesome "necromancer bard."

Coidzor
2011-05-06, 04:12 PM
Divine Inspiration, I think. Seems to be that they stack for determining bardic music abilities, so a 5th level bard and 1st level cleric would be able to use suggestion as if it were a 6th level bard...

So that might be able to work, yeah.

WinWin
2011-05-06, 08:19 PM
Are you looking for methods of broadening available spells, or methods of advancing or using bardic music on undead?

The spellcasting thing is pretty easy.

Coidzor
2011-05-06, 08:31 PM
Oh? Please go on.

I know the Requiem feat is enough for getting bardic music to work on undead, so that's not really been an issue for me.

WinWin
2011-05-06, 10:47 PM
Arcane Disciple from complete Divine comes to mind. Take the undeath domain, for access to some thematic spells. Needs some wisdom investment, but you don't need higher than 16 to cast 6th level spells, so you could probably afford a 12 or 13 at chargen.

Lyric Thaumaturge will occasionally grant access to sorc/wiz spells. Focus on necromancy.

Sublime Chord grants access to wizard spells.

You could possibly even enter Prestige Bard using Dread Necromancer or wizard, though that would not really be as Bardic IMO and Necromantic spells would have a reduced CL.

All those options provide access to necromantic magics without really compromising Bardic Music. Depending on how much you wanted to give up, your options would improve.

gorfnab
2011-05-07, 12:11 AM
Bard 7/ Dirgesinger 2/ Pale Master 1/ Sublime Chord 1/ Pale Master 9 - requires Arcane Disciple: Necromancer Domain (ECS)

Dread Necromancer 9/ Prestige Bard 1/ Virtuoso 10 - Requires Apprentice: Entertainer and Arcane Disciple: Illusion Domain. Take Requiem to affect your undead minions.

Thurbane
2011-05-07, 12:26 AM
I once made a thread about getting into Prestige Bard with Dread Necro..let me have a look...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161031

Might have something useful.

Coidzor
2011-05-07, 12:47 AM
Ooo, thanks.

But what would Dirgesinger really give that's worthwhile here? :smallconfused:

Thurbane
2011-05-07, 12:48 AM
Ooo, thanks.

But what would Dirgesinger really give that's worthwhile here? :smallconfused:
Probably not a whole lot, in hindsight. Same with Song of the Dead, as it would have the DN spell list, which doesn't really have any mind affecting spells. :smalltongue:

Optimator
2011-05-07, 01:04 AM
There is a feat, I forget which, that allows you to use cleric levels to advance some bard abilites, including bardsong. Go Bard 1/Cloistered Cleric X and you'll have both bardic power and Cleric casting, which means you'll be an awesome "necromancer bard."

Initiate of Milil?

Coidzor
2011-05-07, 09:19 AM
Optimator: I looked it up and it seems to be Divine Inspiration from Dragon 333.

Though with Extra Music, Initiate of Milil could work as long as that also opened up +X Inspire Courage....

Probably not a whole lot, in hindsight. Same with Song of the Dead, as it would have the DN spell list, which doesn't really have any mind affecting spells. :smalltongue:

Sorry, was replying to Gorfnab's suggestion to take two levels as I was AFB with that bit.

2 levels would allow one to bolster one's undead's turn resistance with a song, it seems.

Too bad there's no non-Exalted alternative to words of creation. :smallannoyed:

Dread Necro + PrC bard is definitely interesting though.

Optimator
2011-05-07, 03:11 PM
Optimator: I looked it up and it seems to be Divine Inspiration from Dragon 333.

Though with Extra Music, Initiate of Milil could work as long as that also opened up +X Inspire Courage....

Hmm, I always assumed it did give more Inspire COurage bonuses since it essentially gives full music advancement, but yeah, it technically says you just get all songs. My DM ruled in favor of the feat advancing IC so I guess that's why I remembered it that way.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-07, 03:16 PM
Use the Prestige Bard on a Necromancer Wizard. Win.

Coidzor
2011-05-08, 01:04 PM
Virtuoso definitely does look pretty sweet right now. Never realized it also increased one's bonus for Inspire Courage until now. :smallbiggrin:

Definitely have some food for thought so far, thanks. That skeletal minion paired with a wild cohort in and of themselves might be enough without animate dead/dread warrior thrown into the mix... Hmm... I'll probably whip something up in about a day and post it to see what you all think of it.