PDA

View Full Version : Ways to drain strength

myancey
2011-05-06, 06:20 PM
I was wondering if there is any way to drain another character's strength following 2 stipulations:

1) Cannot be Ray of Enfeeblement (or its 2nd level version in SpC).
2) It must be able to drop strength scores below zero. Cannot say "The subject’s Strength score cannot drop below 1", in other words.

Poisons work, but we're trying to avoid them because of cost issue.

All 3.5 sources are available, including FR and Eberron.

Thanks.

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 06:22 PM
Summon/turn into/otherwise gain control of a shadow.

Lateral
2011-05-06, 06:29 PM
Greensickness poison deals 2d6 strength damage + 1d4 constitution damage primary and secondary, has a fortitude save DC of 33, is inhaled, and can be made with a Chaos Flask or the Minor Creation power (assuming you have a small amount handy).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-06, 06:32 PM
Strength of My Enemy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/strengthofMyEnemy.htm) makes you deal 1 Str damage per hit, which gets added to your own Str score for the power's duration.

Curmudgeon
2011-05-06, 06:33 PM
Are you talking specifically about Strength drain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#abilityDrained)? Because Ray of Enfeeblement causes a temporary Strength penalty, and most (all?) poisons deal ability damage, not drain.

If you're also interested in STR damage, the Rogue Crippling Strike special ability does 2 points of STR damage on every sneak attack. Add the Savvy Rogue feat and you can do this STR damage even to enemies who are immune to sneak attack.

myancey
2011-05-06, 06:39 PM
Are you talking specifically about Strength drain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#abilityDrained)? Because Ray of Enfeeblement causes a temporary Strength penalty, and most (all?) poisons deal ability damage, not drain.

Nice. Yeah, the goal is to rock out an empowered, split ray'd Ray of Enfeeblement..and then deal 1 more point of strength damage in order to drop him to zero.

Kaeso
2011-05-06, 06:41 PM
What about the strength draining strike manouvre from ToB?

Divide by Zero
2011-05-06, 06:42 PM
I'm fairly certain that won't work, because the penalty would be applied after any damage or drain.

myancey
2011-05-06, 06:46 PM
I'm fairly certain that won't work, because the penalty would be applied after any damage or drain.

Which part won't work, specifically? Something someone else said or using ray of enfeeblement and then dropping him by one more point to bring him to zero?

I mean, after the spell expired he wouldn't at zero anymore. But I can't see a reason why these penalties wouldn't stack..unless it says somewhere that they do not.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-05-06, 08:39 PM
Which part won't work, specifically? Something someone else said or using ray of enfeeblement and then dropping him by one more point to bring him to zero?

If you use Ray of Enfeeblement to apply penalties to bring the enemy's Strength down to 1, you still can't use Strength damage to make them helpless. The damage applies to the base score, the penalty is applied afterwards, and the penalty cannot reduce them below 1.

ffone
2011-05-08, 03:43 PM
Moon Bolt spell does Str damage. Spell Compendium, IIRC, and the spell has range, but it allows a Fort save for half and thus is generally less powerful than Shivering Touch for Dex damage. Then again, almost anything in the game system is less potent than Shivering Touch (no save, only depends on caster level via SR, and Dex is the lowest stat for many big powerful monsters, like true dragons).

IIRC it's a L4 spell and thus can't go in a spell storing weapon. And the damage depends on caster level so it won't be cost efficient via items. Crippling Strike rogues are sad!