PDA

View Full Version : The teamwork champion. (D&D 3.5 base class)

Pigkappa
2011-05-06, 06:26 PM
The teamwork champion.

HD: d10
Alignment: Any non chaotic.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Friendly save +4, Lay on hands|

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3||

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Inspiring shout +1|

4th|+4|+4|+1|+4||

5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Encouraging shout|

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Shield other 1/day|

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Inspiring shout +2|

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6||

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|Glimmering grace|6|6|6|6|4|—|—|—|—|—

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7||

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|Friendly save +8, Inspiring shout +3|

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Shield other 2/day|

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Heroic intervention|

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9||

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9|Inspiring shout + 4|

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|Friendly immunity|

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Shield other 3/day|

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Inspiring shout +5|

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Heroic Sacrifice|

[/table]

Class Skills (2+Int): Craft(any), Diplomacy, Gather Information, Heal, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Perform(any), Profession(any), Ride, Sense Motive, Survival.

Proficiencies: Teamwork champions are familiar with all simple and martial weapons, all type of armor, and with shields (except tower shields).

Friendly save (Ex): As a full-round action, a teamwork champion can designate a number of willing creatures equal or lower than his class level as his team's members. Any of these creatures can leave the team as an immediate action, at any moment. The teamwork champion always knows who's in his team, and he can't be a member of the team.
Whenever the teamwork champion is affected by an hostile spell or effect (such as a Fireball spell or a thrown splash weapon) from one of these creatures, he gains a +4 bonus to any saving throw allowed. This bonus grows to +8 at level 11. He becomes immune to these effects at level 17th.

Lay on hands (Su): This ability works as the Paladin's Lay on Hands.

Inspiring shout (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a teamwork champion can raise his voice to make an inspiring shout as a swift action. This ability grants a +1 morale bonus on saving throws, AC, attack and weapon damage rolls to his team's members, provided they can hear him. This effect lasts for 1 round and can be used a number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier. The bonus grows to +2 at 7th level, +3 at 11th level, +4 at 15th level and +5 at 19th level.

Encouraging shout (Ex): Starting at 5th level, once per day a teamwork champion can raise his voice to make an encouraging shout as a standard action. This ability grants immunity to Fear effects to his team's members, provided they can hear him, and they get rid of any Fear effect they are currently suffering. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to the champion's Charisma modifier (minimum 1), and using it makes the teamwork's champion fatigued.

Shield other (Su): Starting at 6th level, once per day a teamwork champion can use an immediate action to produce a Shield Other effect on any team's member. This effect is similar to the Shield Other effect, but it lasts one round. This ability can be used 2/day at 12th level and 3/day at 18th level.

Glimmering grace (Su): Starting at 9th level, all members of the team whose distance from the teamwork champion is at most 10 feet receive a morale bonus to all saving throws equal to the champion's Charisma modifier, if any.

Heroic intervention (Su): Starting at 13th level, as an immediate action, the teamwork's champion can divert onto himself a single ranged hostile spell, effect or attack directed against a team's member. For example, if an hostile wizard is casting a Blindness spell against a team's member, the teamwork's champion can use this ability and be affected by the spell in place of his companion.

Friendly immunity (Ex): Starting at 17th level, a teamwork's champion becomes immune to all of his team's members attacks, hostile spells and effects.

Heroic sacrifice (Su): Starting at 20th level, a teamwork's champion can sacrifice his health to help his team's members. As a full round action, he can become stunned for 10 rounds, be reduced to -1 HP (he's not automatically stable), and be exhausted for the next 24 hours. All of his team's members are immediately affected by an Heal spell, by a Break Enchantment spell, and by a Restoration spell (the equivalent caster level for these effects is equal to the teamwork's champion class level). The dead team's members can stand up again with half of their max hit points and act for 10 rounds, provided their body is mostly intact, but they die again when this time is over. The alive team members can be affected by this ability only if they can see or hear the champion, and the dead ones can be affected by this ability only if the champion has line of sight towards them.

---------------------------------

Do you like this class? It's supposed to be playable in a low-optimization game, and I should write some fluff about it but I think the concept is kinda obvious.
Please correct any grammar atrocities too, I'm sure there's plenty of them :smalleek:.

John Cribati
2011-05-06, 10:46 PM
Friendly Save is worded as if the Teamwork Champion expects his "teammates" to attack him.

Other than that... I don't know that much about game balance.

Tacitus
2011-05-07, 10:37 AM
Well I think thats intended on Friendly Save. The champion wades into the thick of things, inspiring his battle brothers teammates and calls in an air strike fireball.

On Inspiring Shout it seems... lackluster. Going in I expected to see something like the Marshal, but reworked so it was actually good, with a bunch of Teamwork benefits. Instead of passive benefits to a lot of people I see a copypasta, a low duration ability with a handful of uses per day, a 1/day, a 3/day shield other, a very good reason for his allies to ride him like a mount (though, him not being a member of the team makes the +Cha to saves pretty bad for you because that fireball is headed right for that clump of people that you're at the center of), some knightly abilities, a redundant listing, and something intended to turn the tide of battle that effectively kills you.

If I were to compare this to existing classes I'd say the Fighter and the Marshal have it beat. Thats not a good thing, even for games expected to see very low optimization.