PDA

View Full Version : Cursed Sword; 1,500 GP????

Tvtyrant
2011-05-06, 06:49 PM
How can a cursed sword (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordCursed) cost so little? At that price there would be literally thousands of them floating around! Make on look good and give it as a gift to a prince! Steal some guys real sword and sneak on in its place!

And once a week has gone by getting rid of it it practically impossible.

Akal Saris
2011-05-06, 06:54 PM
Actually, a pretty slick trick for a spellcaster would be to craft yourself a cursed -2 adamantine sword. If you're ever imprisoned and lose all your items, it will take a wish or miracle spell for your opponents to get rid of your weapon of last resort :P

As far as their rarity, it takes CL 15 and a spell that costs EXP in order to craft them. Maybe there aren't that many high level casters interested in pranking the rest of society =P

myancey
2011-05-06, 06:54 PM
I'd say its mostly because there is only a -2 penalty to attack and damage.

Also, most cursed items are probably cheaper than regular magic items because they incorporate little benefit. The best I've heard is the bag of devouring being used as a trash receptacle.

Would you really spend 1500gp as a character just so your enemy took a minor penalty like that? I'd spend the money on poisons. And anything else.

Raistlin1040
2011-05-06, 06:55 PM
That kind of time limitation would make me pretty cautious about selling them. Can't get a buyer in a week? Stuck with a crappy weapon for life. Plus, if you're advertising it as a scam in the sense of "Screw other people with it!", that's probably illegal in most places, so you're going to be in the shadier parts of town, and if people are looking to disable a warrior, there are better and probably more cost efficient ways to do that than buying a cursed sword. If you can sneak into someone's room and switch their weapons, you could probably poison them easier.

Tvtyrant
2011-05-06, 06:57 PM
Ah but if you can stick it on, say, a dragon for a week then the dragon has just lost its natural attacks. Because it says it only the sword.

Plus losing your flaming/freezing/electric/sonic sword puts a cramp in your style.

Raistlin1040
2011-05-06, 06:59 PM
Size restrictions. The dragon can't wield the sword most likely because he's way too big. Even then, if you're close enough to stick a sword on a dragon, that dragon is probably not going to be pleased.

It's also not exactly good for the adventuring business if you tell the people who are getting killed by a dragon "Just chill for a week, we'll go then."

myancey
2011-05-06, 07:00 PM
Ah but if you can stick it on, say, a dragon for a week then the dragon has just lost its natural attacks. Because it says it only the sword.

Lol, nice. But..why would a dragon ever wield a sword?

Greenish
2011-05-06, 07:01 PM
Also, most cursed items are probably cheaper than regular magic items because they incorporate little benefit. The best I've heard is the bag of devouring being used as a trash receptacle.Dust of Choking and Sneezing as an offensive item? :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2011-05-06, 07:04 PM
Lol, nice. But..why would a dragon ever wield a sword?

Because you shrunk a tiny cursed sword and snuck it into its scales, and now it has to do to the swords curse.

myancey
2011-05-06, 07:05 PM
Dust of Choking and Sneezing as an offensive item? :smalltongue:

Nice. That'd be pretty entertaining. Now see, I'd use that on a dragon. It'd just be humorous.

Tar Palantir
2011-05-07, 12:38 AM
Because you shrunk a tiny cursed sword and snuck it into its scales, and now it has to do to the swords curse.

It can't use any other weapons, but it is still a dragon, and thus possessed of both breath weapon and (depending on age) magic. Breath weapon kiting is the most effective tactic for dragons without decent spells anyway, so you haven't hindered it too much.