PDA

View Full Version : Are an awakened animal's bonus HD magical beast or Animal HD?

veven
2011-05-06, 10:50 PM
The title says it all.

Thanks for the help.

Apophis
2011-05-06, 11:03 PM
Well, its type changes to magical beast, so I would assume that they use a d10 HD.

Thurbane
2011-05-06, 11:33 PM
Yep, once an Animal is awakened, all current and future Racial Hit Dice are considered Magical Beast HD. I think you recalculate BAB and saves, but not skills or HP...

veven
2011-05-06, 11:36 PM
Yep, once an Animal is awakened, all current and future Racial Hit Dice are considered Magical Beast HD. I think you recalculate BAB and saves, but not skills or HP...

Hmmm, so if i awakened a wolf, for example, it would have 4 Magical Beast HD and not 2 animal, and 2 magical beast?

Thurbane
2011-05-06, 11:46 PM
Hmmm, so if i awakened a wolf, for example, it would have 4 Magical Beast HD and not 2 animal, and 2 magical beast?
That is correct. :smallsmile:

veven
2011-05-06, 11:52 PM
Rad! thanks for the help!

tyckspoon
2011-05-07, 08:21 AM
They're mostly Animal dice, actually. An Awakened Animal's type is Magical Beast (augmented Animal). The augmented subtype tells us "A creature with the augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the features of its original type." Which I would take to mean "if the source that gives you your template doesn't say otherwise, you still have your original features." Features being the HD size, BAB, skills, and saves of the original type. For most animals, the only thing they get from changing to a Magical Beast is darkvision and low-light vision if they didn't already have them.

Runestar
2011-05-07, 09:48 AM

I am pretty sure the bab and saves remain unchanged. So the animal is merely of the magical beast type, but still uses its original HD to determine its base stats.