PDA

View Full Version : The Battle Dancer (First attempt at "Fixing" a Class. PEACH and help please)

John Cribati
2011-05-06, 11:41 PM
The Battle Dancer

"They're breakdance-fighting!"
— Mugatu from Zoolander, seeing two Battle Dancers in action.

The origins of the Battle Dancer are hotly debated. Many claim that the first Battle Dancers were slaves, living in inhuman and humiliating conditions, who developed the art under the guise of dance. More than a fighting style, it was created as a hope of survival, a tool with which an escaped slave could survive in the hostile, unknown land and face the hunt those who would wish to return him to slavery.

Role: I'm going for swift striker/ dodge tank, with a few party support options.

Abilities: Charisma is the most important, as it increases her Armor Class as well as Grants her dancing ability. Dexterity is required for AC and all-important Tumble Checks. Con, while not necessary for class features, is always useful for Hit Points.
Alignment: Any non-lawful
Hit Die: d8
Starting Gold: As Rogue

Class Skills
The battle dancer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Dance) (Cha), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

The Battle Dancer
{table=head]Level |BAB |FORT|WILL|REF|Special|Unarmed Damage |AC Bonus
1st |+1 |+2 |+0 |+2 |Weapon Finesse, AC Bonus, Improved Unarmed Strike |1d6 |+0
2nd |+2 |+3 |+0 |+3 |Uncanny Dodge, Mystic Dance, Dance of Reckless Bravery |1d6 |+1
3rd |+3 |+3 |+1 |+3 | Punishing Strike 1d6, Elaborate Strike|1d6 |+1
4th |+4 |+4 |+1 |+4 | Bonus Speed +10ft, Au 1/encounter |1d8 |+2
5th |+5 |+4 |+1 |+4 |Evasion, Dance of the Vexing Snake |1d8 |+2
6th |+6 |+5 |+2 |+5 | Punishing Strike 2d6, Dancer’s Strike |1d8 |+3
7th |+7 |+5 |+2 |+5 |Graceful Precision |1d8 |+3
8th |+8 |+6 |+2 |+6 | Dance of the Floating Step, Au 2/encounter |1d10 |+4
9th |+9 |+6 |+3 |+6 | Improved Uncanny Dodge, |1d10 |+4
10th |+10 |+7 |+3 |+7 | Dance of the Springing Tiger |1d10 |+5
11th |+11 |+7 |+3 |+7 |Improved Evasion |1d10 |+5
12th |+12 |+8 |+4 |+8 | Au 3/encounter, Dancer’s Strike, Punishing Strike 3d6 |1d12 |+6
13th |+13 |+8 |+4 |+8 |Mongoose Waltz |1d12 |+6
14th |+14 |+9 |+4 |+9 | Dance of the Crushing Python |1d12 |+7
15th |+15 |+9 |+5 |+9 |Fast Beat |1d12 |+7
16th |+16 |+10 |+5 |+10 | Au 4/encounter |2d8 |+8
17th |+17 |+10 |+5 |+10 | Dance of the Soaring Eagle |2d10 |+8
18th |+18 |+11 |+6 |+11 | Dancer’s Strike, Punishing Strike 4d6 |2d10 |+9
19th |+19 |+11 |+6 |+11 | Deadly Dancer|2d10 |+9
20th |+20 |+12 |+6 |+12 | Dance of Death's Embrace, Au 5/encounter |2d12 |+10[/table]

Thanks to ErrantX for help. Ideas still welcome.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Battle Dancers are proficient with all Simple weapons and all Light Martial Weapons. They are not proficient with Armor or Shields.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the battle dancer adds her Charisma bonus (if any) an an untyped bonus to her AC. She uses the captivating and confusing movements of the battle dance to evade her foes' attacks. In addition, starting at 2nd Level, a Battle Dancer gains an AC Bonus equal to half her Battle Dancer Level. This bonus reflects the battle dancer's intense training in unarmed and unarmored combat. These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the battle dancer is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, or when she carries a shield.

Unarmed Strike: As Monk. See table for damage progression

Weapon Finesse: Battle Dancers gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.

Uncanny Dodge: As the Barbarian Ability,
Mystic Dance: Starting at Level 2, Once per day per Battle Dancer level, a Battle Dancer can use her dances to produce magical effects on those around her (usually including herself, if desired). Each effect requires both a minimum Battle Dancer level and a minimum number of ranks in the Perform (Dance) skill to qualify; if a Battle Dancer does not have the required number of ranks, she does not gain the Mystic Dance ability until she acquires the needed ranks. A Battle Dancer may start her Mystic Dance as a standard action, or she can choose to do it during her move action by decreasing her movement speed by 20 ft. Some Mystic Dance abilities require concentration, which means the Battle Dancer must take a standard action (Or reduced speed move action) each round to maintain the ability. While and after using Mystic Dance, a Battle Dancer may still make attacks at no penalty, and may activate magic items by spell completion (such as scrolls), spell trigger (such as wands), or command word. Allies need not see her dance, but they must be in a certain range to gain the effect of the Mystic Dance. In addition to unique Dances granted by this class, Mystic Dance can be used to replicate any effect that a Bard of her level could produce with his Bardic Music ability.

Dance of Reckless Bravery (Su): A 2nd-level battle dancer with 5 ranks in Perform (Dance) gains the ability to inspire bravery in herself and allies. All of the battle dancer's allies within 30 feet of her gain a +4 bonus on saves against fear effects for a number of rounds equal to 5 + the battle dancer's Charisma modifier. The battle dancer can use this ability only when she is within an opponent's threatened area. It requires a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Elaborate Strike: A Battle Dancer may add her Charisma bonus to damage instead of her Strength bonus.

Au: Once per Encounter per 4 Battle Dancer Levels, when an opponent declares An Attack against a Battle Dancer, but before the attack is rolled, she may make a Tumble Check and increase her Armor Class by [the result -10] for the remainder of the round (this effect stacks with any other AC-boosting items, sources, or class features). Au cannot decrease her Armor Class.

Evasion: As the Rogue Ability

Dance of the Vexing Snake (Su): A 5th-level battle dancer with 8 ranks in Perform (Dance) gains the ability to dodge her opponent's blows with her sudden, unpredictable maneuvers. She can use the Tumble skill to move at her normal speed without penalty, and she can Tumble a distance up to her current speed. She can grant an ally this ability via Mystic Dance.

Punishing Strike: Battle Dancers are known for their ability to take advantage of their enemies’ mistakes. Starting at 3rd Level, if an enemy creature in her threatened range declares an attack against the Battle dancer and misses, the Battle Dancer makes an Attack of Opportunity against the enemy as an immediate action. If it hits, the enemy takes 1d6 damage. At every Level Divisible by 6, and at 20th level, Punishing Strike’s damage increases by 1d6. Au may be used in conjunction with the Punishing Strike.

Dancer's Strike (Su): The magic of the battle dancer's arcane maneuvers allows her to manifest auras of energy around her feet and hands. These auras can defeat an opponent's damage reduction. The battle dancer can generate this aura as a standard action at will. It persists for a number of rounds equal to 5 + the battle dancer's Charisma modifier before it fades. At 6th level, the battle dancer's aura makes her unarmed strikes count as magic damage. At 12th level, the battle dancer chooses one aspect of her alignment, such as good or chaotic. Her aura allows her strikes to count as that alignment (as well as magic). She must choose one aspect of her alignment, and once she has made a choice she cannot alter it. At 18th level, the battle dancer can choose any one special material or alignment that overcomes damage reduction (such as adamantine, cold iron, holy, or even lawful). Her aura now includes that material or alignment. Once she has made this choice, she cannot change it.

Dance of the Floating Step (Su): The battle dancer moves with such grace and speed that she can dance across water. An 8th-level battle dancer with 11 ranks in Perform (Dance) can cross the surface of a liquid, such as water or magma, without taking damage or sinking below the surface. If she ends her movement on such a liquid, she takes damage and sinks as normal. The battle dancer must begin her movement on a stable, firm surface. She can grant an ally this ability via Mystic Dance.

Dance of the Springing Tiger (Su): An 11th-level battle dancer with 14 ranks in Perform (Dance) can spring upon an opponent with the ferocity of a tiger. When charging, she can attempt a DC 20 Tumble check. If she succeeds, she may make a full attack rather than a standard attack as part of her charge. She can grant an ally this ability via Mystic Dance.

Graceful Precision: A Battle Dancer uses her flexibility to strike with greater force. In addition to her Elaborate Strike, the Battle Dancer adds her Dexterity bonus to Damage in Lieu of Strength when using unarmed strike or light weapons.

Mongoose Waltz- A 13th level Battle Dancer with 15 ranks in Perform(Dance) can extend her limbs for greater reach, granting her +5ft to reach, and gaining a 20% miss chance from ranged weapons due to this form's slimming extension.

Dance of the Crushing Python (Su): The battle dancer's speed and mighty unarmed strikes combine to make her a fearsome opponent. She can step into an opponent's reach and confuse it with a series of feints and quick blows, distracting it from other threats. A 14th-level battle dancer with 17 ranks in Perform(Dance) can rain a series of hammering blows upon a foe. She must use the Tumble skill to enter her opponent's space without provoking an attack of opportunity. If she succeeds, she may then attack her opponent while in its space. If the battle dancer's attack hits, her opponent takes a -2 penalty to AC and it cannot make attacks of opportunity until the start of the battle dancer's next action. After the battle dancer completes her attack, she enters a square of her choice adjacent to the target. She can grant an ally this ability via Mystic Dance.

Fast Beat- When making an attack or full attack action, the Battle Dancer may make an additional attack at her full base attack bonus. When making a full attack action, she also gains an additional +2 dodge bonus to her armor class.

Dance of the Soaring Eagle (Su): A 17th-level battle dancer with 20 ranks in Perform (Dance) gains a fly speed equal to her base land speed with average maneuverability. If a flying battle dancer charges an opponent below her, she gains a +4 bonus on attack rolls and a +2 bonus on damage in place of the normal benefits of charging. She may use her dance of the springing tiger in conjunction with an aerial charge. She can grant an ally this ability via Mystic Dance.

19th- Deadly Dancer- The critical threat range of unarmed attacks or attacks made with light weapons increases by +2. This bonus is applied after effects like keen or Improved Critical are calculated.

Dance of Death's Embrace (Su): A 20th-level Battle Dance with 23 ranks in Perform (Dance) can perform a vicious, deadly dance to defeat her opponent. Before using this dance, the battle dancer selects a single target within 30 feet. As a full-round action, the battle dancer performs an elaborate dance that requires a DC 35 Tumble check to complete. If she succeeds, any time she makes a successful attack against her designated target she deals +2d6 points of damage. In addition, any critical threat the battle dancer makes against her designated target is automatically confirmed as a critical hit. She can grant an ally this ability via Mystic Dance.

John Cribati
2011-05-07, 05:42 PM
Soo... nobody has anything to say?

ErrantX
2011-05-08, 09:21 AM
Okay, let's start. Fix the saves, for this sort of a class I see a graceful athlete, so I would make it simply a Good Fort/Good Ref progression. Your skills and hit points are good. First level is a good level, its better than Monk by a lot, especially for characters that would benefit from the rogue-like skills (such as bards and rogues especially). I would split up evasion and uncanny dodge as well, it's already really really dip friendly. I'd drop 2 levels into this if I was a moderately Charismatic character (and that was part of the problem of this class originally). Next I would change the skill checks in this class from Tumble to Perform (Dance). Why? Tumble's already a worthy skill and likely to be used regularly by it, but this class is a Dancer, not a Tumbler. I do get why you'd change it, but I think that by reducing skill dependancy on a class that gets 6 + Int per level is going to have a few to spare. As this is a class that has mystical significance to it, later levels should reflect this some... we'll see if we can do this a little more.

Au is a neat ability, but I'm not sure how to pronounce it or what it means though. Might wanna look into this.

Punnishing Strike is neat in effect but the damage progression is weird. I'd keep it to more static d6 progressions due to it being easier to accept (I don't know why, people just seem to prefer it, blame Rogues).

5th- I'd move Evasion to this level, to discourage dips. People in it for the long haul will get it and reap the benefits.

7th- Graceful Precision -Add Dex to Damage in Lieu of Strength (in addition to Charisma) when using unarmed strike and light weapons.

9th- Move Improved Uncanny Dodge here.

10th- Dance of the Springing Tiger here.

11th- Improved Evasion here.

13th- Mongoose Waltz- While in this dance, the battle dancer's flowing movements allow him to extend his limbs for greater reach, granting him +5ft to his reach, and he gains 20% miss chance from ranged weapons due to his form's slimming extension.

15th- Fast Beat- When making an attack or full attack action, the character may make an additional attack at his full base attack bonus. When making a full attack action, he also gains a +2 dodge bonus to his armor class.

19th- Deadly Dancer- The critical threat range of unarmed attacks or attacks made with light weapons increases by +2. This bonus is applied after effects like keen or Improved Critical are calculated.

Overall, you've got a promising redux, but the above are some of the changes I would make/suggest you consider. Feel free to use anything I suggest, and good first attempt. Happy homebrewing!

-X

Morph Bark
2011-05-08, 03:24 PM
I think the saves are... a bit messed up. You have listed "Good", "Bad" and "REF". I presume either Good or Bad is Fort and the other is Will, but I'm at a loss for which is which.

John Cribati
2011-05-08, 04:55 PM
Ginga and Au are basic Capoeira forms. There are about 5 different subforms of Au, for the record, but they're all basically basically "do a cartwheel to dodge/screw up enemy attacks"

With the saves thing: I guess I was thinking that dancers come in both "focus" and "physical endurance" varieties, so I thought having a your "Good" save be a choice would reflect that.

Anyways, that's some good stuff you've suggested. Thanks!

NeoSeraphi
2011-05-13, 07:37 PM
At the moment you have Au requiring no action on the part of the Battle Dancer, instead restricting it to once per encounter, but that means she can potentially use it and a deadly immediate action ability in the same round, which doesn't seem fair.

On the other hand, if that's what you were trying to allow by making it once per encounter, you should really specify that it requires a free action, which is of course, like an immediate action but unlimited and doesn't use up her immediate action for the round.

ErrantX
2011-05-13, 10:17 PM
Ginga and Au are basic Capoeira forms. There are about 5 different subforms of Au, for the record, but they're all basically basically "do a cartwheel to dodge/screw up enemy attacks"

With the saves thing: I guess I was thinking that dancers come in both "focus" and "physical endurance" varieties, so I thought having a your "Good" save be a choice would reflect that.

Anyways, that's some good stuff you've suggested. Thanks!

Awesome, glad I could help!

-X