PDA

View Full Version : Disclaimers/Reminders/Warnings - Yes/No?

Lord_Gareth
2011-05-07, 02:29 AM
Hello again, I'm back - I've got a few thread ideas in mind, one of which is based on a previous thread detailing how customers can help make their service better at fast food establishments. However, because this thread entails my retail experience, some of which my legal counsel has advised me to be vague about, I was thinking about putting up a disclaimer/request to not ask me about what company(ies) I formerly worked for.

My question to you is this: Are disclaimers, reminders, and warnings in the OP considered vigilante modding? The above doesn't seem like it'd break any rules to me, but would, say, asking folks not to compare an real-life religion to a proposed fantasy one be vigilante modding? What about phrases like, "Remember folks, try to keep it PG-13."?

Rockphed
2011-05-07, 04:21 AM
The random banter thread has long had a list of rules in the first post. I think about half of them were reiterations of board rules, though a couple were expansions thereof. I'm unsure whether or not that is relevant.

Zherog
2011-05-07, 09:26 AM
My opinion - since I'm not a mod - is that saying something like, "Please don't ask what establishments I work(ed) for, as I will not be providing that information," would be OK. You're not vigilante modding, since asking where you worked isn't against the rules; you're saving people keystrokes by telling them there's a specific question you won't answer.

Of course, the best way to get a solid answer to your rules question isn't posting here asking other members; your best bet is to send a PM to one of the mods and hash out the details with them.

Lord_Gareth
2011-05-07, 10:19 AM
My opinion - since I'm not a mod - is that saying something like, "Please don't ask what establishments I work(ed) for, as I will not be providing that information," would be OK. You're not vigilante modding, since asking where you worked isn't against the rules; you're saving people keystrokes by telling them there's a specific question you won't answer.

Of course, the best way to get a solid answer to your rules question isn't posting here asking other members; your best bet is to send a PM to one of the mods and hash out the details with them.

See, I was asking here because this is a general refinement question on the rules that I felt would benefit the whole community by getting a moderator answer.

Zherog
2011-05-07, 11:16 AM
Fair 'nuff.

Roland St. Jude
2011-05-07, 12:54 PM
Sheriff: What you propose is fine. Perhaps even helpful. Just keep in mind:

As Zherog says, it's not an instruction to follow the Forum Rules, so it's not vigilante modding. It's just your expression of what you'd like to talk about.
An instruction to follow the Forum Rules in an OP is borderline. I'd recommend against it in most cases. It's really not needed, but if you phrase it kindly and think it will help, go for it.
You don't own the thread. People not complying aren't violating any forum rule just because they don't do what you want them to do.
The disclaimer doesn't save you if your OP violates the Forum Rules.
The disclaimer doesn't save anyone else if their post violates the Forum Rules.