PDA

View Full Version : CoC: Shadows of Yog-Sothoth

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-07, 03:38 AM
I run a pretty much constant game of Call of Cthulhu with my usual gaming group. We started several years ago, and I basically just run one campaign after another with different investigators, but the same players.

First, I took them through 'The Great Old Ones', then 'Beyond the Mountains of Madness' (Great fun. Easily the best pre-made I've ever read), then we went for a bit of classic fun with 'Horror on the Orient Express', before moving on to 'The Complete Masks of Nyarlathotep'.

For our next foray into the deeps, my group has selected 'Shadows of Yog-Sothoth'! I'm beginning my read-through tonight, with high hopes. I've heard good things, but we'll see.

My questions for the playground:

1) Has anyone ever run this campaign before?
2) If so, on a scale of 1 to Cthulhu, how awesome is it?
3) Any problems/hang-ups/missteps/obvious errors to avoid?
4) Anything I should be absolutely sure to include at all costs?

Thanks for the input!

ken-do-nim
2011-05-07, 05:28 AM
That sounds like an awesome gaming group! It's got Cthulhu in it, so I'll say it's a Cthulhu!

I've heard good things about all the adventures in the Cthulhu Classics supplement. I haven't played any, though.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-07, 06:37 AM
Chaosium did an excellent job with their pre-mades. "Beyond the Mountains of Madness" is so, so, so, SO worth getting your hands on, but regrettably, it's damn near impossible.

It took me a year of searching before I turned up two copies priced in the hundreds of dollars.

Totally worth the investment, though. My group pitched in, and I've run the supplement twice over the last two years over winter break at school.

ken-do-nim
2011-05-07, 03:55 PM
Chaosium did an excellent job with their pre-mades. "Beyond the Mountains of Madness" is so, so, so, SO worth getting your hands on, but regrettably, it's damn near impossible.

It took me a year of searching before I turned up two copies priced in the hundreds of dollars.

Totally worth the investment, though. My group pitched in, and I've run the supplement twice over the last two years over winter break at school.

I just looked on eBay. Two copies; one $180 the other $200. I could only remotely consider that if I was 100% sure it would get played. Actually, after playing it I could resell it and hopefully recoup my cost. But still, how often do I resell something I thought was awesome?

I put a saved search on eBay for a lot containing it. Sometimes somebody sells a whole collection, and people don't always think to look for something like this inside a larger lot. If I can score a copy of Palace of the Vampire Queen, I'll score Beyond the Mountains of Madness. I just have to be patient. Thanks for the tip!

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-07, 03:57 PM
Yeah, mine was $246, but like I said, I had my players pitch in.

Good point about looking inside lots on Ebay. I hadn't actually considered that.