PDA

View Full Version : so death offers to play for your soul...

big teej
2011-05-07, 09:15 AM
lets say (hypothetically of course)

that you die (or are banished to hell for some reason)

and you talk Death himself into playing a game for your soul.

what game do you play?

starcraft? warcraft? dance dance revolution? monopoly? what?

why?

do you truly feel you could BEST DEATH HIMSELF at a game?

for me, I think I'd have to go with either Scrabble or a pvp Dnd wargame.

I'm having trouble of thinking of any one game that I feel so confidant in my abilities that I could best Death himself in.

though I'm sure something will come to me eventually.

perhaps a timed race to beat megaman X

what about you?
(granted, monopoly's a great answer since that will prolong your life by a few years)

Gamerlord
2011-05-07, 09:19 AM
Challenge him to a game of chess, then cheat. :smalltongue:

pffh
2011-05-07, 09:21 AM
Probably something like calvinball or a game of "Who can give the other person all their powers the fastest"

Misery Esquire
2011-05-07, 09:22 AM
(granted, monopoly's a great answer since that will prolong your life by a few years)

...Err. A game of Monopoly only takes ~6 hours.

I'd challenge him to a game of Sburb. :smalltongue:

Dienekes
2011-05-07, 09:23 AM
Challenge him to a game of chess, then cheat. :smalltongue:

If we're cheating let's go with the one easiest to do so.

That's right Death, we're playing Battleship!

nerd-7i+42e
2011-05-07, 09:25 AM
D&D (http://xkcd.com/393/). I have a campaign planned out; if he can finish it, he wins. If he can't, I win. I might up the CR of a few monsters, though...:smallamused:

Eadin
2011-05-07, 09:27 AM
Jumanji.
:smallcool:

Eldan
2011-05-07, 09:29 AM
"Living your Life". It's a game I invented :smalltongue:

Alternatively, Mornington Crescent.

Orzel
2011-05-07, 09:36 AM
*checks tv*

Yup. Bill and Ted' Bogus Journey.

I'll play "Hold the water in your hands".

LaZodiac
2011-05-07, 10:10 AM
I'd play something I recently heard about. Jurrasic Park Challange, whoever can keep 12 shots of liqour down wins.

Trog
2011-05-07, 10:24 AM
Hopscotch. *leaps over grim reaping equipment* P= cookie for the reference.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-05-07, 10:26 AM

I was about to suggest this, it's what I would play him at.

Tiger Duck
2011-05-07, 10:45 AM
Some highly luck based game.

That's how I tend to win games anyway. More with luck than with skill.

PirateMonk
2011-05-07, 11:18 AM
Some version of Nim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim), with the order of play such that it is impossible for me to lose.

CrazedMalarite
2011-05-07, 11:23 AM
High card.

I figure Death is probably dang good at most all games, certainly better than me. So the 50% of winning at a pure luck game is higher than anything I could get on a skill-related game.

Project_Mayhem
2011-05-07, 11:23 AM
I'd challenge him to a 'not being Death' contest.

Solaris
2011-05-07, 11:24 AM
D&D (http://xkcd.com/393/). I have a campaign planned out; if he can finish it, he wins. If he can't, I win. I might up the CR of a few monsters, though...:smallamused:

Durnit, I was gonna say that.
Plan, of course, being that there's no end to the campaign.

Fluff & Napalm
2011-05-07, 11:29 AM
How bout a hot dog eating contest? Might not win but it'd be funny to watch.

Nameless Ghost
2011-05-07, 11:33 AM
Second Life. :smallwink:

Winthur
2011-05-07, 12:50 PM
We will have a duel of puns, since I'm pretty sure that my witticisms...
:smallcool:
...will fall on death ears.

Elder Tsofu
2011-05-07, 01:03 PM
I'd go for chess, traditionalist as I am.
If Death doesn't have any other preference that is, I suppose it might get a bit old over the centuries.

MoonCat
2011-05-07, 01:12 PM
Wet T-shirt contest! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0718.html) Or DnD (http://xkcd.com/393/)if I was good at it. And I happen to know he's bad at Bridge, so I could try that. (internet to anyone who get's all the references.)

Mystic Muse
2011-05-07, 01:22 PM
First, I'd ask him what games I have a legitimate chance at winning at if any. Then I'd play him in whichever of those games I'm best at. If there isn't one, I'd just tell him not to waste his time.

Icewalker
2011-05-07, 01:24 PM
...Err. A game of Monopoly only takes ~6 hours.

Um...this. Definitely this.

zeratul
2011-05-07, 01:24 PM
Hopscotch. *leaps over grim reaping equipment* P= cookie for the reference.

But trog, you are not a girl and a s such have not been trained in the mystic ritual of hopscotch. That said I wouldn't be too surprised if death lets you go just for the refference. :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-05-07, 01:26 PM

Awww, I was going to say thaaaat. :smallfrown:

Blue Ghost
2011-05-07, 01:29 PM
Yu-Gi-Oh. Though I probably won't stand a chance, since Death runs the Seal of Orichalcos (http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Seal_of_Orichalcos)...

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-05-07, 01:36 PM
Pretty much. I should've known that someone was gonna beat me to it.

I would challenge Death to The Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_%28mind_game%29).

Mordokai
2011-05-07, 01:39 PM
Who can last drinking longer.

It would be pretty moot, since we would both be dead and thus pretty much immune to alcohol, but that means I get to booze myself for eternity. And that is good enough for me.

I'm sure Death has hell a lot of cool stories to be told over a pint or ten... thousand.

LaZodiac
2011-05-07, 01:47 PM
Mordokai, it's not a matter of who can last the longest drinking, but who can keep the most in him. Death is bones, I doubt he can actually consume liquids. One glass, you win.

Either way, Death WOULD make a good drinking buddy. The stories he could tell.

Gaelbert
2011-05-07, 01:48 PM
I'd challenge him to a fiddle competition. (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDm_ZHyYTrg)
Either that or Russian Roulette.

Moff Chumley
2011-05-07, 01:50 PM
Contemporary music trivia, probably. Contemporary, because otherwise he'd have an unfair advantage. :smalltongue:

Anxe
2011-05-07, 03:12 PM
I'd challenge him to play The Game.

Zain
2011-05-07, 03:30 PM
I'd challenge him to a game of Minecraft.

hey, I'd be playing minecraft for a eternity! It would be EPIC!

John Cribati
2011-05-07, 03:35 PM
Hmm...

Super smash Bros. 64. 3 stock, 50% Damage ratio. I'll even put myself on Handicap level 1.

Then I can chain-grab him to death (:smallcool:) with Falcon.

Lord Raziere
2011-05-07, 03:38 PM

or you could just run tomb of horrors.

Personally, I would just run a dungeon my own creation, far worse than tomb of horrors.

Traab
2011-05-07, 05:07 PM
"Who can pick up the most chicks in an hour."

Thats right, id challenge death to go bar hopping and whoever walks away with the most real phone numbers wins!

Mystic Muse
2011-05-07, 05:09 PM
"Who can pick up the most chicks in an hour."

Thats right, id challenge death to go bar hopping and whoever walks away with the most real phone numbers wins!

Death. Definitely death.

Gadora
2011-05-07, 05:13 PM
Is rock-paper-scissors an option? I'm pretty sure I could beat him there, just by thinking things through.

You see, Death carries a scythe, which means he likes cutting things, so he'll throw scissors but I've got a feeling that he'll have anticipated this reasoning, and go with paper to counter my oh-so-obvious rock. But I won't be throwing rock, because I've not only anticipated this counter, but his anticipation of my anticipating this, so I should clearly throw paper. Why don't we have a paranoid babbling smilie?

You know, maybe I should challenge him to a pie eating contest instead, because, well, pie.

Mina Kobold
2011-05-07, 05:28 PM
Wet T-shirt contest! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0718.html) Or DnD (http://xkcd.com/393/)if I was good at it. And I happen to know he's bad at Bridge, so I could try that. (internet to anyone who get's all the references.)

Discworld?

I would challenge Death to a hugging contest because I'd be so happy I didn't disappear when I died and that soemthing is there for me.

Then I'd be too scared to see what comes after Death alone and hold on to Death in adorable and silly hugginess.

That, or a game of whatever Death wants to play. Would be mean to a being with that big a workload to go around demanding specific games that are not super-silly hugging games. :smallsmile:

Nerocite
2011-05-07, 05:28 PM
Limbo. With obvious results.

Dvandemon
2011-05-07, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing you were watching Comedy Central too? I wouldn't mind a musical duel, just to see what kind of music he plays
If we're cheating let's go with the one easiest to do so.

That's right Death, we're playing Battleship!

And then Clue, electric football and finally Twister.

ragingrage
2011-05-07, 05:39 PM
Been mentioned before, but definitely Mornington crescent. Wouldn't be that hard to beat him; if he can't counter Fubar's blasphemy, I win. :smalltongue:

Dire Moose
2011-05-07, 05:39 PM
I'd have to go with this one (http://raxdakkar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/smbc.gif).

Iruka
2011-05-07, 05:48 PM
I'd go with a classic and challenge him to a game of Yahtzee

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PgfRBZetNGE/S4kuOh3mudI/AAAAAAAABKo/9NtZDPFQ3-8/s400/gustav+dore+ancient+mariner.jpg

or maybe a karaoke contest with our favourite songs, just to see what he chooses and to hear him sing.

SaintRidley
2011-05-07, 05:52 PM
A drowning contest might be interesting. If Death were to win, would that mean you can escape alive?

Dire Moose
2011-05-07, 06:01 PM
You know, maybe I should challenge him to a pie eating contest instead, because, well, pie.

That would be a mistake, because the pies would just fall through his ribcage and he'd never be full.

Ravens_cry
2011-05-07, 06:06 PM
I challenge him to who can say completely the fastest a number under 10 of my choosing, he can decide who goes first. It's a little irrational I know, but whoever goes first, I get to live forever.

ZombyWoof
2011-05-07, 06:07 PM
Hmm...

Super smash Bros. 64. 3 stock, 50% Damage ratio. I'll even put myself on Handicap level 1.

Then I can chain-grab him to death (:smallcool:) with Falcon.
If you were as pro as Isai you could just challenge him to your typical 5-stock no-time game of SSB64. Then laugh as you 5-0 him. Maaaaybe 5-1 if he gets lucky :smallwink:

Me? I'd challenge him to a game of Spades and grab my ex gf as my partner. He can pick anyone he wants.

When the final score is MenB 540, DeathnBuddy -200 9 bags? Yeah :smallamused: That just happened Death.

Dumbledore lives
2011-05-07, 06:12 PM
Tic-Tac-Toe, no winner, no loser. Both of us play a perfect game till I get tired, then I die. You can't actually win, I think he has rule -1 in D&D, and any other game he will win, no matter how impossible. At least this way I get to choose when I truly die.

Gadora
2011-05-07, 06:12 PM
That would be a mistake, because the pies would just fall through his ribcage and he'd never be full.

You raise a good point, but, on the other hand, pie.

Copacetic
2011-05-07, 06:27 PM
A musical competition if I wanted to at least enjoy myself a little before, you know. Ditto for chess.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-05-07, 06:29 PM
Tell him that the llama already has it.:smalltongue:

But no, seriously, I'd probably ask him ''Say....Screw this, when was the last time you went a night out anyway? Must be busy, reaping all that the time.'

Failing that, I'd most likely challenge him to a beard-growing contest.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-05-07, 06:30 PM
Twister could work actually, I doubt the personification of the end of life is particularly flexible, what with Riga-Mortis and what-not.

Telonius
2011-05-07, 07:48 PM
Do I have to beat Death, or does he have to beat me?

If the latter, then Tic Tac Toe.

myancey
2011-05-07, 08:29 PM
Play Liar's Dice!!! I've been crazy in to that game lately. My d&d group plays it now and we're gonna use it for in-game gambling.

But yeah, its the game you can play in Red Dead Redemption, and also referenced in the 2nd Pirates of the Caribbean movie. The betting the soul part.

Awesome game.

littlebottom
2011-05-07, 09:11 PM
I'd go with a classic and challenge him to a game of Yahtzee

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PgfRBZetNGE/S4kuOh3mudI/AAAAAAAABKo/9NtZDPFQ3-8/s400/gustav+dore+ancient+mariner.jpg

or maybe a karaoke contest with our favourite songs, just to see what he chooses and to hear him sing.

Death actually has a nice singing voice, and i think this is the song he would sing

That's Death! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH3FeV6dkt4)
(ignore the weird intro someone has put on it)

by the end of it, you would be blown away, and convinced to just die, its clearly the better option:smallbiggrin:

Sneak
2011-05-07, 09:48 PM
Tic-tac-toe.

And then we'd tie every game (unless either Death or I make a stupid mistake), and Death would just get frustrated and let me go.

Well. Hopefully. That's the plan, anyway.

Dire Moose
2011-05-07, 10:20 PM
Twister could work actually, I doubt the personification of the end of life is particularly flexible, what with Riga-Mortis and what-not.

Dude's a skeleton. He's more flexible than you.

Zocelot
2011-05-07, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't choose anything based on bluffing, since Death is probably the best bluffer around. Anything based on dexterity is likewise out, since he is magical and therefore of an unknown, probably high, dexterity. And he's as old as life itself, so I don't think I'm going to be smarter than him. So, choose a game based entirely on luck. If you can manipulate the rules so that it favors you, then go ahead.

Lycan 01
2011-05-07, 10:36 PM
Wet t-shirt contest.

Or a massage contest. Doesn't matter if I'm good at giving them or not (actually, I've been told I give really good massages...), I'm automatically gonna be better than the guy jabbing the somebody with cold, bony fingers. :smallbiggrin:

Trekkin
2011-05-07, 10:37 PM
I'd play a guessing game regarding the state of a photon in an interaction-free environment.Then the last two panels of this happen. (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1014)

druid91
2011-05-07, 10:39 PM
I'd challenge death... to a freindly arguement.

If he can convince me it's best I die? Well he wins.

If I can convince me it's best I live? I win.

I doubt he's that persuasive.

littlebottom
2011-05-07, 10:42 PM
death is a tricky character, i would imagine that anything like a "hold water in your hands" contest would be refused, or if he couldnt refuse, he would just turn his hands into buckets or somesuch, why? because death is not going to be outsmarted like that, the point is, you cant beat death, and you certainly cant cheat him. but, you can have fun trying :smalltongue:

he may be all knowing, if so, then any games that require bluffing are out, he is likely more flexable, in that he could just detach every part of his body and roll under a limbo bar. games of luck, with death there, i feel somehow are not games of luck, due to the fact that you could pull a pack of cards out, and draw a 2, a 5, an 8, a 9 and a death card from a tarot set, just cus death decided to mess with you.

the only way i can possibly think to out do him is by accepting death, cheat him of his fun and glory that you grasped at a fading hope, that you could never win.

but if i REAALLLY had to choose, i would either go for a game of THUD for style points. or something like Tekken :smalltongue: that way you could play a character thats good at counter attacks, and let death try to attack you and only succeed in hurting himself. im sure he would find a way around it though. or perhaps someone like eddy and just hit random buttons so he cant predict anything. it would be funny to see death get frustrated and throw a controller about shouting "STOP THAT YOU BUTTON BASHER!":smallbiggrin:

I'd challenge death... to a freindly arguement.

If he can convince me it's best I die? Well he wins.

If I can convince me it's best I live? I win.

I doubt he's that persuasive.

see my previous posts link, he is pretty persuasive:smallamused:

druid91
2011-05-07, 10:55 PM
see my previous posts link, he is pretty persuasive:smallamused:

I did, amusing, but not persuasive.:smallwink:

littlebottom
2011-05-07, 11:08 PM
I did, amusing, but not persuasive.:smallwink:

awwww:smallfrown: :smalltongue:

thubby
2011-05-07, 11:12 PM
blackjack, first to 10 wins, wins, and im the house.

its the simplest game of pure chance i can think of that will favor me. i dont expect to beat death at any actual contest of skill.

The Gaunt Man
2011-05-07, 11:13 PM
Simon says and you be Simon. First command Simon says "Let me win."

If he does it you win. If he refuses then you win Simon says and also win.:smallbiggrin:

Tiniere
2011-05-07, 11:14 PM
We can't just play the pretend we're harry potter characters and give me a choice of one of the deathly hallows game? In that case, I pick the cloak and after living the rest of my life welcome the reaper like an old friend and leave the cloak to my children and go to the afterlife with a smile. If that doesn't work out...

I will form an EXCLAMATION POINT over my head. And challenge him to a pokemon monotype battle. (Hopefully climactic battles with death involve real pocket monsters, that would be pretty fun...)

Remmirath
2011-05-07, 11:34 PM
'Who can DM the longest running game of D&D?'. It should, at least, be fun and buy some time. I wouldn't expect to win no matter what, so I might as well have a good time about it.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-05-08, 06:53 AM
What about truth or dare.

You keep choosing truth until Death chooses dare, then you dare him to grant you back your life.

onthetown
2011-05-08, 08:46 AM
A normal D&D session, because it's not about winning and so I would have an eternal, awesome campaign with the Reaper.

smellie_hippie
2011-05-08, 08:55 AM
I believe I would play the "weekend killer" of the OOTS Advenure game. Sure to go on for days, plenty of opportunity to play "screw this" cards on him, and all I have to do get beat Xykon and get out of the dungeon first! :smalltongue:

Kris Strife
2011-05-08, 11:22 AM
Best of three giant robot battle where we get to choose our robots with out informing the other. I'd take Megas, TTGL, and either Burning Gundam or Big O, depending on if I have to be physically capable of operating it to pilot it. Best case scenario, I win, and get to have three giant robot battles. Worst case scenario, I lose, but he's going to be busy from the aftermath. Runner up scenario, he has to go reap someone who gets caught in the crossfire, and I cheap shot him. :smallbiggrin:

Vulaas
2011-05-08, 11:31 AM
Sex contest. With the mortal of our choosing.

I don't need a favorable rule-set with a game like that because hey, if it's the last thing I'm doing before being condemned...

Eldan
2011-05-08, 11:59 AM
Of course, if it was this (http://www.google.ch/search?um=1&hl=de&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Ade%3Aofficial&biw=1331&bih=888&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=death+of+the+endless&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=) Death instead of the scythe-and-hood guy, half of those games wouldn't work anymore :smallwink:

Fan
2011-05-08, 12:42 PM
Best of three giant robot battle where we get to choose our robots with out informing the other. I'd take Megas, TTGL, and either Burning Gundam or Big O, depending on if I have to be physically capable of operating it to pilot it. Best case scenario, I win, and get to have three giant robot battles. Worst case scenario, I lose, but he's going to be busy from the aftermath. Runner up scenario, he has to go reap someone who gets caught in the crossfire, and I cheap shot him. :smallbiggrin:

He chooses Elder God Demonbane.

You lose.

Though honestly, I'd go with something along the lines of a happiness contest. I win because I have the ability to feel those emotions.

rayne_dragon
2011-05-08, 01:29 PM
Hmm...

If I want to delay loosing as long as possible:

D&D... of course, we'd need to get some other players - maybe we could see about rounding up some cool famous dead people and teaching them how to play. Wouldn't it be awesome to have Sun Tzu, Socrates, and Cleopatra (or whoever else you might want) all sit down at the table with you?

If I want to play fair:

Polearm duel. Even if I lost I'd get to go into the afterlife grinning about how I got to fight with Death and it was awesome.

If I wanted to win... Paranoia. :smallbiggrin:

Or for her/him to run a game of FATAL, by the book, in such a way that I don't want to quit before the session is over.

Eldan
2011-05-08, 01:59 PM
Or for her/him to run a game of FATAL, by the book, in such a way that I don't want to quit before the session is over.

This, of course, becomes a game of "how many houserules can you introduce before it's no longer FATAL?" :smallwink:

Gadora
2011-05-08, 02:01 PM
This, of course, becomes a game of "how many houserules can you introduce before it's no longer FATAL?" :smallwink:

Also, how long must it be to count as a session. Otherwise, wrapping it up before it even starts would be a viable way to win.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-05-08, 02:28 PM
Of course, if it was this (http://www.google.ch/search?um=1&hl=de&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Ade%3Aofficial&biw=1331&bih=888&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=death+of+the+endless&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=) Death instead of the scythe-and-hood guy, half of those games wouldn't work anymore :smallwink:

Both of mine would still work, heck, the first one would even be better.:smalltongue:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-05-08, 02:36 PM
Limbo of course. We all know that Grimm loves Limbo. ;)

Anarion
2011-05-08, 02:56 PM
4x4 tic tac toe, on the condition that I get to go first. Sure, regular tic tac toe is a guaranteed draw, but games like that can be expanded to nxn to always have a guaranteed winner, and it just so happens that whoever goes first in 4x4 tic tac toe always wins.

rayne_dragon
2011-05-08, 06:20 PM

Hence why I said by the book. There's no way anyone could run a game of FATAL for me and not have me hate it somewhere around the character creation phase. :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-05-08, 08:05 PM
I keep misreading this as "so death offers to play with your soul". It conjures a hilarious image, yet fully laden with slightly... weird homo-erotic sexual tones, with a slight whiff of necrophilia.

My imagination is very... special. :smallredface:

Alaris
2011-05-08, 08:36 PM
I'd pose the challenge that I can play a game without dying. Then I put in BRAID, a game where you literally CAN'T die.

And then I watch him explode from the paradox.

Partof1
2011-05-08, 09:04 PM
I'm pretty lame at most games. I'd probably be a smart aleck and pick Breathing Contest, or "First person to have skin wins", but assuming something legitimate, I suppose I'm best at Super Smash Bros, or quick battle on pokemon stadium.

Creed
2011-05-08, 09:12 PM
Probably a game that I knew Death was either a) bad at or b) didn't know the rules.
Hmm...
either Life (someone probably already made that joke...) or Tekken. I've spent alot of time at a Tekken terminal in my day.:smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-05-08, 09:42 PM
What about a game where it's non-competitive? Like a jigsaw puzzle! Then you both go your separate ways as buddies!

Partof1
2011-05-08, 09:46 PM
"Death! I challenge you to a jigsaw puzzle!"

I'm sure that'd go over well.

Dire Moose
2011-05-08, 09:48 PM

And you could also forget "Wet T-Shirt Contest" being an automatic win.

AsteriskAmp
2011-05-08, 10:08 PM
Touhou if this particular death isn't Japanese, at the very least I could laugh at death loosing to a bunch of small female children.

If this death IS Japanese than a contest to see who can stare at a screen of flashing blue and red colours the longest without having a seizure.

Moonshadow
2011-05-09, 10:31 AM

Needs more Zeorymer, Ideon or Godmars.

That said though, I'd challenge him (or her!) to that game where you have to go from 1 to 30 in increments onf 1, 2 or 3, and whoever gets 3 loses.

As long as you go second, you can always win that :P

DeadManSleeping
2011-05-09, 12:12 PM
Tic-tac-toe. Then just wait until Death proclaims "this ****" to not be worth it. :smallwink:

KuReshtin
2011-05-09, 07:03 PM
My version of Death is not the bony skeleton of a guy from the likes of Discworld, but rather the normal-looking, albeit pretty pale, person as portrayed in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

My game of choice would be 'nut-shot', where I'd go first, and then proclaim Death the winner before it was his go.
Sure, he'd get my soul, but I would go knowing that I'd just kicked Death in the nuts. :smallbiggrin:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-05-09, 07:05 PM

Best Death.

Beeeest Death.

aart lover
2011-05-09, 11:06 PM
i would challenge him to a sight-reading contest on the saxophone. why?

1) i have mad skillz on the tenor sax
2) Death has no lungs and as such cannot blow into the instrument so therefore cannot make any sound and as such i win:cool:

SilentNight
2011-05-09, 11:54 PM
i would challenge him to a sight-reading contest on the saxophone. why?

1) i have mad skillz on the tenor sax
2) Death has no lungs and as such cannot blow into the instrument so therefore cannot make any sound and as such i win:cool:

This but on trombone.

Alternatively, Clue, the board game that's more about who's the best cheater than who's the best player. :smallamused:

Lither
2011-05-12, 02:16 AM
Who can last the longest in a game of FATAL.

If I win, I live. If I die, well, I didn't want to keep those memories anyway.

EndlessWrath
2011-05-12, 02:48 AM
We're all assuming that Death has the time to actually play and develop the skill to play all these games.. and we're all also assuming that he's restricted to skeleton form (no lungs, no stomach, etc).. I figure that if I cheat he'd know automatically (cause he's death) and I figure that he could cheat magically anyways.. I could also go under the assumption he's magical and can change his body at will (so.. bones don't matter. as much.) but that just restricts more games. How does one find a game Death cannot cheat at, that you would actually stand a chance against him for.

I dunno. I figure DnD would be out because I try not to make it competitive. Why? "I'm DM. DM rule 0, whatever DM says goes. Rocks fall, you die. Done. Would you like another try? How about double or nothing?"

I'm not sure what game I'd challenge him at..since usually I'm more support in games anyways. I might play Marvel vs Capcom to show him some Final Justice! That or League of Legends (though I'd lose horridly).
-Wrath

Kageru
2011-05-12, 05:02 AM
If I just wanted more time I would challenge him to a journey to alpha centauri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_Alpha_Centauri_(In_Real_Time)) speedrun the first one who finishes the game wins (no time magic allowed).
Hmm otherwise maybe a storytelling contest, I would lose horrible but I'm sure death knows a few cool stories.
But a contest I could win? I wouldn't trust chance when death is involved. But I don't think I could beat in a fair skill based contest. Maybe a longtime contest which plays in the world of the living, but death probably wouldn't accept a thing like that.

KuReshtin
2011-05-12, 07:08 AM
We're all assuming that Death has the time to actually play and develop the skill to play all these games.. and we're all also assuming that he's restricted to skeleton form (no lungs, no stomach, etc)..

I quite specifically stated that I my version of deat is not a pile of walking bones, but rather just a really pale guy that likes to walk around in a black, hooded robe with a scythe.

And I'm counting on him being anatomically correct in my game of 'nut-shot'. :smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2011-05-12, 07:20 AM
And I'm counting on him being anatomically correct in my game of 'nut-shot'. :smallbiggrin:

doesn't Death go first?
:smalleek:

KuReshtin
2011-05-12, 07:42 AM
doesn't Death go first?
:smalleek:

I go first, and then give up. So he'll get my soul (or one of the spares that I've collected over the past few years) but I get to kick him in the nuts.

Vorthon
2011-05-12, 07:53 AM
Probably something like calvinball or a game of "Who can give the other person all their powers the fastest"
This, most definitely this.

Lhurgyof
2011-05-12, 07:55 AM
Left 4 Dead 2 on versus mode if I could play with my friends. :smalltongue:

Also, risk. That game takes forever.

Mauve Shirt
2011-05-12, 08:15 AM
I would play a tournament of 3 games. Scrabble, Spite and Malice, and Cribbage. Best 2 out of 3.

Klose_the_Sith
2011-05-12, 08:26 AM
I challenge him to a custom battle on Napoleon Total War where the rules and armies have all been set by me.

Problem, Reaper? :smallamused:

big teej
2011-05-12, 08:35 AM
a 10,000 point (per army) game of warhammer 40,000

Orks
vs
imperial guard
vs
tyranids
vs
uhm......
moar imperial guard?
I've suddenly drawn a blank on the different armies (cut me some slack, I got woken up about 2 hours before I expected to be. and that was only half an hour ago)

but, in the event that I HAVEN'T forgotten a 'swarm' type army.
space marines maybe?
perhaps chaos or the tau?
or do necrons have large enough squads to make it into the top slot for 'fourth' army.

you stand a fair chance of winning (get everyone to gang up on death) and you're life shall be prolonged by quite a bit, certainly long enough to come up with a better plan of beating death.

I mean
think about it.
10,000 points.....
the Ork movement phase could take half a day alone!
and this isn't even accounting for the various rules arguments YOU KNOW are going to crop up.
truly you are blessed if you can get the game going just as the rules are updated.

Misery Esquire
2011-05-12, 04:43 PM
"Who can give the other person all their powers the fastest"

Death gives you the ability to collect souls.

You give Death the ability of "being alive."

:smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2011-05-12, 04:46 PM
Challenge him to The Game?

I dunno, that might be too dull for my tastes. There should be a never-ending or unwinnable (or rather, unloseable) game somewhere.

Eldariel
2011-05-12, 04:50 PM
Scaling Mental Magic (Magic: the Gathering format) without decks. No luck. All skill.

littlebottom
2011-05-12, 09:53 PM
Death gives you the ability to collect souls.

You give Death the ability of "being alive."

:smalltongue:

you know, death might roll with that. and when he dies from his mortal state, you play the same game, and you come back to life, he becomes death again, and you swap every life time.

Cespenar
2011-05-13, 03:39 AM
I'd pick Global Thermonuclear War.

Archonic Energy
2011-05-13, 04:09 AM
Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares

that's a game i could win!

JabberwockySupafly
2011-05-13, 07:04 AM
Dominion. Base set with Intrigue thrown in for extra fun. Even if I lose, at least I'll enjoy the heck out of it.

Hazzardevil
2011-05-13, 09:36 AM
I'd challenge him that I could with a level 5 charecter finish the hardest written campaign for 3.5.

I would use Pun-pun or an itme of infinite wishes to solve any problem.

Or I would challenge him to see who could destroy the others body first, any melee wepaon except Death's Scythe.

I reckon I could win with a big enough hammer.

Archonic Energy
2011-05-13, 10:15 AM
I'd challenge him that I could with a level 5 charecter finish the hardest written campaign for 3.5.

I would use Pun-pun or an itme of infinite wishes to solve any problem.

Or I would challenge him to see who could destroy the others body first, any melee wepaon except Death's Scythe.

I reckon I could win with a big enough hammer demolishion ball.

fixed that... though you'll have to forgive my poor spelling

Andre
2011-05-13, 03:16 PM
If Death is also The Computer, what then?

golentan
2011-05-13, 04:07 PM
I'm sure others have said the same but I can't check now. Dice, high roll wins best 2 of 3. I don't have the ego to believe I can outwit entropy, and random chance is better than no chance.

Assuming we play by common narrative convention rather than real world rules. My entire purpose in existing these past millennia has been to kick entropy in the face repeatedly, so... But I don't think I can win that either.:smallfrown:

Fuzzie Fuzz
2011-05-15, 05:06 PM
I'm assuming that Death cheats. I'm also assuming that he's magic. I don't even try to win. I challenge him to some sort of trivia contest. First one to get some number of questions wrong loses. Sure, I lose miserably, but I get to know the answers to all my questions about the universe first before I die.

Lateral
2011-05-17, 07:10 PM
Mao, and Death's the sucker. :smallwink:

EndlessWrath
2011-05-18, 10:46 PM
I've decided to change my answer. I'd rather play ... "Who's name doesnt start with a D, R, or G :smallbiggrin:

Gadora
2011-05-18, 11:15 PM
I've decided to change my answer. I'd rather play ... "Who's name doesnt start with a D, R, or G :smallbiggrin:

That doesn't seem like a good game to play with Thanatos.

EndlessWrath
2011-05-18, 11:18 PM
That doesn't seem like a good game to play with Thanatos.

I'll add T to the list. :D

ThirdEmperor
2011-05-18, 11:22 PM
Hmm... I can see two routes here. The first is to force Death to play a game that he cannot possibly win, but will cause him great suffering even if he does somehow win. The other is to choose a game so awesome, that it doesn't matter if I lose, cause I'll die happy.

Option 1: The My Immortal drinking game, first one to spill their drink or fall unconscious wins. Cause I want to go down in legend as the man who gave Death liver poisoning and broke his mind into little tiny pieces. Plus, all the booze would fall through Death's ribcage, disqualifying him.

Option 2: Sburb. Because, well, Sburb. Heck, if I can get to a Quest Bed fast enough, Death won't be able to claim my soul anyway, as the moment I die I will enter God Tier and become immune to death, except under certain conditions.

Gadora
2011-05-18, 11:46 PM
I'll add T to the list. :D

I still wouldn't want to play that game with Azrael or Mors. Heck, since my first name starts with a D and my surname with a G, I wouldn't want to play that game at all.

VanBuren
2011-05-19, 09:40 PM
I would play an ineffable game of my own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of the players, (ie everybody), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

Mystic Muse
2011-05-19, 10:14 PM
I still wouldn't want to play that game with Azrael or Mors. Heck, since my first name starts with a D and my surname with a G, I wouldn't want to play that game at all.

As long as one of his names doesn't begin with a C I'd be safe.

One probably does, but I have a decent shot anyway.

golentan
2011-05-19, 10:37 PM
I would play an ineffable game of my own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of the players, (ie everybody), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

I sincerely doubt you are who you seem to be claiming you are. And if you are, shame on you for stealing Gaiman/Pratchett quotes. I expect both better and more original work from you.

VanBuren
2011-05-20, 12:14 AM
I sincerely doubt you are who you seem to be claiming you are. And if you are, shame on you for stealing Gaiman/Pratchett quotes. I expect both better and more original work from you.

Of course not, I lower cased everything. Besides, Death has to agree to my version. You're not given an option with His.

EndlessWrath
2011-05-20, 12:17 AM

fiiine. I'll play "who's name begins with a J?" and win.:smallbiggrin:

The Succubus
2011-05-20, 06:47 AM
I keep misreading this as "so death offers to play with your soul". It conjures a hilarious image, yet fully laden with slightly... weird homo-erotic sexual tones, with a slight whiff of necrophilia.

My imagination is very... special. :smallredface:

Oh thank you. I was feeling fine right up until I read this and now I feel nauseous and creeped out. You truly have a way with words. :smallyuk:

Mina Kobold
2011-05-20, 07:19 AM
Oh thank you. I was feeling fine right up until I read this and now I feel nauseous and creeped out. You truly have a way with words. :smallyuk:

I read that post as misreading it as Death litterally playing with youyr soul at first.

By litterally I mean dolly tea party.

Which would be hilarious.

Lonely Tylenol
2011-05-20, 07:28 AM
I'd play the following game, with one stipulation:

Begin play with a set of coins, of any number. The players then take turns removing either one or two coins from the set of coins, until no coins are left. The person who takes the last coin on their turn wins.

The stipulation?

I decide who goes first.

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-20, 06:36 PM

I'm amused by the incongruity between this post and this poster's avatar

IronWilliam
2011-05-21, 04:18 PM
I would play Calvinball:smallbiggrin: The only rule is that you can't play the same way twice.

Dr.Epic
2011-05-21, 04:52 PM
I'd suggest the game if-your-screen-name-is-Dr.Epic-on-giantitp-forums-you-win. I always win that game.

TheSummoner
2011-05-21, 05:03 PM
Drinking contest. Rules: No magic, If you spill even one drop you lose, first one to pass out or yeild is the loser.

I don't drink... but he CAN'T drink. If magic is forbidden, he can't change his body to avoid spilling.

The Succubus
2011-05-21, 05:05 PM
I'm amused by the incongruity between this post and this poster's avatar

Yes yes, I altered my avvie as part of an avvie week and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet >.>

DraPrime
2011-05-21, 05:09 PM
Drinking contest. Rules: No magic, If you spill even one drop you lose, first one to pass out or yeild is the loser.

I don't drink... but he CAN'T drink. If magic is forbidden, he can't change his body to avoid spilling.

Assuming that Death must use magic to avoid spilling. It could simply be part of his nature that he can non-magically shift his form.

Now then, what would I play with Death? Pool. I am a beast when I play pool. On a more realistic level, I would simply surrender. Death is Death. He is implacable. He will eventually get me, and immortality will eventually get dull.

Yirrixees
2011-05-21, 06:13 PM
a game of limp catfish fighting... cage match style. i may not win, but he will NEVER forget me :smallwink:

Felixaar
2011-05-21, 08:06 PM
Philosophical Debate. I would argue that I refuse to participate in any game, because the allowance of a possibility he could win suggests he has some rightful claim to my soul.

Trazoi
2011-05-21, 08:16 PM
Spitting contest.

Fiery Diamond
2011-05-21, 08:30 PM
I'd play the following game, with one stipulation:

Begin play with a set of coins, of any number. The players then take turns removing either one or two coins from the set of coins, until no coins are left. The person who takes the last coin on their turn wins.

The stipulation?

I decide who goes first.

I was going to say this, but I've always been exposed to the game with the players removing either one, two, or three coins. This game has an actual name, but I can't remember it.

Trazoi
2011-05-21, 08:36 PM
I was going to say this, but I've always been exposed to the game with the players removing either one, two, or three coins. This game has an actual name, but I can't remember it.
The family of these mathematical strategy games are called Nim. There's a bunch of variants (how many you can choose, how many piles, whether making the last move wins or loses, etc.)

I think Death is savvy enough not to take the bait. :smallwink:

Lonely Tylenol
2011-05-21, 08:37 PM

It can be played such that players can remove one to three coins as opposed to just one or two. Mechanically, the game is the same--and so is the winning strategy.

If Death lets me decide who goes first, however, I cannot lose either way.

Copacetic
2011-05-21, 09:34 PM
i may not win, but he will NEVER forget me :smallwink:

Death never forgets.
Ever. Even then.

Yirrixees
2011-05-22, 12:42 AM
Death never forgets.
Ever. Even then.

and the thought that he will never forget a slimy catfish being slapped across his bony head will fill me with joy until the end of time. :smallbiggrin:

Necro_EX
2011-05-22, 12:57 AM
I have to wonder where the idea that death is great at games came from...I mean, it's not exactly implied by his position or anything.

However, I would certainly be tempted to play him in a game of Qwirkle Cubes. It's all about figuring out the probability of getting a needed set of figures and I'm not half bad at it. Honestly, it's probably what I'm best at that I could possibly talk him into. I'm horrible at chess, don't know many card games (plenty of ccgs, though)...
http://www.gamedaze.com/images/products/qwirkle%20cubes%20content%20med.jpg

The idea of challenging him to complete a campaign would be pretty great, though. Armed with the optimizations I've seen here, I'm confident he wouldn't make it out.

Atcote
2011-05-22, 06:14 AM
Staring contest.

He forfeits by not initially holding eye contact.

Unless those little blue lights he has in Discworld counts. Then I'm buggered.

VanBuren
2011-05-23, 03:56 AM
I have to wonder where the idea that death is great at games came from...I mean, it's not exactly implied by his position or anything.

However, I would certainly be tempted to play him in a game of Qwirkle Cubes. It's all about figuring out the probability of getting a needed set of figures and I'm not half bad at it. Honestly, it's probably what I'm best at that I could possibly talk him into. I'm horrible at chess, don't know many card games (plenty of ccgs, though)...
http://www.gamedaze.com/images/products/qwirkle%20cubes%20content%20med.jpg

The idea of challenging him to complete a campaign would be pretty great, though. Armed with the optimizations I've seen here, I'm confident he wouldn't make it out.

It probably stems from the same source that gave us Faustian deals with demonic entities, or trickster heroes in The Devil Went Down to Georgia style who manage to pull a kind of fast one on supernatural entities way above their station.

thubby
2011-05-24, 07:02 PM
its not that death is good at games, its that death always wins (as it does in real life) any skill simply arises from that truth.

Gorgondantess
2011-05-24, 08:17 PM

Normally I don't quote things from 5 pages back, but... damn. That's perfect.:smallcool:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-05-24, 09:00 PM
its not that death is good at games, its that death always wins (as it does in real life) any skill simply arises from that truth.

This man has the truth.

Mina Kobold
2011-05-25, 06:16 AM

Ah yes, Death always wins in the end. But what's important is when that fateful day comes.

Another fifty years of living does not mean you have won, but it does mmean that the struggle can be kept up just a little bit longer. :smallwink:

Zejety
2011-05-25, 06:20 AM
Is your name Butters Death?

ben-zayb
2011-06-04, 07:52 AM
Meh. I would challenge him in a traditional Ditto vs. Ditto match. :smallamused:
EDIT: with the slower ditto being mine, just in case. :smallwink: