PDA

View Full Version : Doom the Roguelike - anyone here plays it?

Malek
2011-05-07, 01:42 PM
Question pretty much as in topic - does anyone here in the playground play Doom, the Roguelike (a.k.a. DoomRL). I see roguelike related topics appearing from time to time, but I don't think I saw one for DoomRL.

For those that haven't heard about it DoomRL is pretty much what it says on the tin - a roguelike game inspired by the videogame Doom. Yes, that Doom. Yes, this is a roguelike where you go down to hell shooting demons in the face on the way. Of course some changes needed to be made to make the gameplay interesting in roguelike format and things sort of evolved from there creating challenge modes, exotic/unique items, traits and so on, but regardless DoomRL is really fun and captures the spirit of Doom quite well.

Oh and it has sounds and music, both a rare trait for a Roguelike.

So anyone here plays it? Or perhaps someone is willing to try it out (doom.chasoforge.org)?

Fri
2011-05-07, 01:43 PM
I played it. really love it, though never actually played for too long.

Winthur
2011-05-07, 02:17 PM
I've beaten it once on the easiest difficulty. Found out about it on a certain native ADOM community. It's pretty fun, especially with visuals. Now I'm waiting for the Nethack-like version with some small graphics. :smallwink:

Malek
2011-05-07, 02:32 PM
Graphics version... or tiles rather, is being worked upon but it'll probably take some time before it's released to the masses. So far there was only one beta of it, released to a small group of people. Have yourself a teaser :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15336046/tease2.PNG

RS14
2011-05-07, 03:55 PM
I played it a bit last year, ascended a few times and beat JC once or twice on the lower difficulties. I wish I could remember what traits I took for those... I think ammochain with a plasma-rifle for one?

Assemblies are new since I last played. Nanomanufacture Ammo looks insane. I'll need to try a whizkid game sometime.

Cespenar
2011-05-07, 05:46 PM
I'm playing it right now like crazy, it's most certainly among my top RLs, there with ADOM and Incursion. I haven't quite mastered it yet, though. Only victory I'm somewhat proud of is Angel of Berserk on Normal, and that seems absolutely trivial compared to some of the Gold and higher medal requirements.