PDA

View Full Version : RP Connections Charts! (Who knows Who?)

Lilithgow
2011-05-07, 01:58 PM
I was extremely bored at work, and so I drew up a chart of all my players and their relationships with the major NPCs in our DnD game. It got a little out of hand, and then I ran out of paper, and never had any talent to begin with.

But, I was quite pleased with how it turned out, it was a fun little exercise for me, and my players love the thing.

http://learningextra.com/pspynett/relationships.jpg
For those who are interested, my three players are Eli, Marcus and Jurek in the center there. My NPC collection seems to have gotten a little out of hand...

So, I thought, why not get other people to have a go? I'd love to see how complex or simple or straightforward or stupid your games have all gone. No matter the system, players are bound to make for some exciting charts!

Tengu_temp
2011-05-07, 02:04 PM
I actually made a shipping chart for one of my games, long ago. It needs updating, though, so I'm not posting it here.

Dairun Cates
2011-05-07, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure I could attempt this if I even tried considering cross-campaign references and time-travel were common themes in my campaigns for a while. In other words, I'd have to have like 3 different versions of each character (past, present, future), and I'd have to explain the events and connections that literally created themselves.

Also, without the 3-way split, you'd still end up with more NPCs than here. My campaigns are very weird sometimes.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-07, 03:23 PM
Who's Binky? he has two bubbles.

Lilithgow
2011-05-07, 03:50 PM
Binky I, Binky II and Binky III are Eli's horses.

Eli has been unlucky with his horses. Binky II has his own bubble because he was poisoned by an unknown (to Eli) person.

I didn't have any space to put on Eli's cow 'Milk', unfortunately.

dsmiles
2011-05-07, 06:11 PM
I actually made a shipping chart for one of my games, long ago. It needs updating, though, so I'm not posting it here.
I drew out the shipping lanes for my campaign world once, and a who trades what with whom chart.

Tengu_temp
2011-05-07, 06:12 PM
I drew out the shipping lanes for my campaign world once, and a who trades what with whom chart.

I see what you did there.

dsmiles
2011-05-07, 06:45 PM
The campaign title was "Merchant Princes," I felt it was relevant.

Lilithgow
2011-05-07, 07:20 PM
My game did start with the rivalries and friendships of the twelve merchant families of a city state, so I can relate to the wonders of fine commerce.

Fiery Diamond
2011-05-09, 12:49 AM

Ah, the ambiguity of the term "shipping." :smallamused:

I do charts like this for some of the stories I write, but I've never done one for one of my campaigns.

Mazeburn
2011-05-09, 06:38 AM
I feel I have to post the one from the Count of Monte Cristo:

(warning, gigantic)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Countofmontecristorelations.jpg

valadil
2011-05-09, 01:49 PM
If you're looking for software for this kind of thing, try XMind (http://www.xmind.net/). It's pretty decent at making large outlines of any depth. There are other Mind Mapping programs out there, but this is the one I've played with most. The only problem is that you can't really do NPC -> NPC relationships. You can draw lines out from the players to all the various organizations and NPCs, but once those NPCs are nodes, they can't really have lines pointing to each other. Or if they can, I haven't figure out how yet.

NeSS Esqa
2011-05-09, 03:37 PM
You might also look into Smallville. Strange as it sounds, the base system (modified Cortex Plus) is fantastic for creating campaigns with more plot hooks than a bait store. Regardless of whether you use it for game, the chargen is perfect for this. Here's a chargen map I found (Don't want to reveal the map of an ongoing campaign of mine, after all): http://rpg.brouhaha.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/SVMandrakeRM6Md.jpg

For programs, Google Docs has a sub-thing that works wonderfully for online generation of this with multiple people (I tend to play in IRC-based games, so it comes in handy.)

World Eater
2011-05-09, 04:56 PM
Surprised me that The Binder and Julius were next to each other. My current character is a Binder named Julius.

Dvil
2011-05-09, 06:18 PM
*snip*

Who's Qwerty Uiop? :smalltongue:

Terraoblivion
2011-05-09, 08:08 PM

Let me guess, it was for MS34, right? Some are easy. Mireio and Tara are hitting it so hard with each other, while Lucius looks on in sadness. Not quite so sure where the rest fit in, though.

valadil
2011-05-09, 10:04 PM
The only problem is that you can't really do NPC -> NPC relationships. You can draw lines out from the players to all the various organizations and NPCs, but once those NPCs are nodes, they can't really have lines pointing to each other. Or if they can, I haven't figure out how yet.

Disregard this, you can in fact do Insert: Relationship or ctrl-L to add a link from one node to another. The nodes are directed, so you could have the PC's attitude towards and NPC side by side with the NPC's attitude towards the PC.

Lord Raziere
2011-05-09, 11:50 PM
hm, I myself had started a connected heroes project between all the characters I myself created....but it never got anywhere...

balistafreak
2011-05-10, 09:23 AM
An example of how things can rapidly get out of hand. (http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8725/typemoonrelations.jpg)