PDA

View Full Version : agile shield fighting

nandieb
2011-05-08, 12:07 AM
Agile Shield Fighter
[Fighter Bonus Feat, General]

You are skilled in combining your shield bash attack with an armed strike. When you use your shield in unison with a weapon, your training allows you to score telling blows with both.

Prerequisite: Improved Shield Bash, Shield Specialization, Proficiency with shields

Benefit: When making a shield bash and armed strike attack as part of a full attack action, you take a -2 penalty on each attack. These penalties replace the normal ones you incur for fighting with two weapons.

Special: A fighter can select Agile Shield Fighter as one of his fighter bonus feats.

I need help, does this means i get -2 in my main hand and -2 in my offhand(shield)

Or is it reduced to -2 on both

Also how many attack do i have? do i only attack once with my main hand and one with the shield or maybe twice with my maind hand and 1 time with my offhand
Let say im lv 8

Examples will be nice

Veyr
2011-05-08, 12:29 AM
It's identical to Two-Weapon Fighting, but only with a shield in your offhand, and only replaces the Dex requirement with Shield Specialization and Improved Shield Bash requirements.

EDIT: Actually, it's a bit better than Two-Weapon Fighting because your penalties are always -2/-2, regardless of how the weapons are wielded. This means you can use Heavy shields (one-handed weapons) in your off-hand with another one-handed weapon in your main hand, and still be at -2/-2 instead of the... -2/-6 you'd be at with TWF?

Seerow
2011-05-08, 12:31 AM
Ironic that "Agile Shield Fighter" actually encourages you to have lower dexterity...

Draz74
2011-05-08, 12:48 AM
It's identical to Two-Weapon Fighting, but only with a shield in your offhand, and only replaces the Dex requirement with Shield Specialization and Improved Shield Bash requirements.

EDIT: Actually, it's a bit better than Two-Weapon Fighting because your penalties are always -2/-2, regardless of how the weapons are wielded. This means you can use Heavy shields (one-handed weapons) in your off-hand with another one-handed weapon in your main hand, and still be at -2/-2 instead of the... -2/-6 you'd be at with TWF?

Plus it doesn't have Improved and Greater versions. But those are too feat-intensive for most of my TWF character concepts anyway. (It's worth asking your DM if he'll let Gloves of the Balanced Hand give you an extra shield bash as part of your attack, though.)

Greenish
2011-05-08, 11:57 AM
This means you can use Heavy shields (one-handed weapons) in your off-hand with another one-handed weapon in your main hand, and still be at -2/-2 instead of the... -2/-6 you'd be at with TWF?-4/-4 for TWF with the feat with two one-handed weapons (unless they're dragonsplits).

nandieb
2011-05-08, 09:20 PM

im kinda new, so does this mean, at lv 8 i can do
2 attack plus my offhand attack with a -2/-2

Veyr
2011-05-08, 09:35 PM
OK, that depends on your class and Base Attack Bonus (BAB). Assuming "full BAB", like a Fighter, you have BAB +8/+3, which means one attack at +8, and a second attack at +3.

The "two-weapon fighting" combat option (no feats involved yet, this gets kind of confusing because there is a feat with the same name) allows you to make an extra attack with a second weapon at the cost of certain penalties.

Two-Weapon Fighting (the feat, now) and Agile Shield Fighting both change (lessen) the penalties that you take when you use the two-weapon fighting combat option.

So without the feat, you could attack once with your sword at +8, and again with your sword at +3. If you wanted, you could instead attack with your sword at +8, and then with your shield at +3, or make both attacks with your shield, or go shield first then sword. Since you are entitled to two attacks because of your BAB, you can make them with whatever weapons you have available.

You could also use the two-weapon fighting option to attack once with your sword, then with your shield, and then again with your sword. This is not worth doing, however, because the penalties are way too large.

Thus, you take the feat. Now you can attack with your sword at +6 and then your shield, also at +6, by using two-weapon fighting. You still have your "second" attack (the one that was +3), now at +1, that you can make with either.

So, without the feat, you got two attacks, one at +8 and the other at +3. Both could be made with the same weapon, with different weapons, whatever you want.

With the feat, you can make two attacks at +6, but they cannot be with the same weapon (and in the case of Agile Shield Fighting, one has to be a shield bash attack). You then get an attack at +1, that can be made with any weapon.

Boci
2011-05-08, 09:35 PM
-4/-4 for TWF with the feat with two one-handed weapons (unless they're dragonsplits).

Joe Chaos would like to point out that the agile shield fighting penalties supercede the normal TWF penalties. Nevermind, miss understood.

Veyr
2011-05-08, 09:37 PM
Joe Chaos would like to point out that the agile shield fighting penalties supercede the normal TWF penalties.
He was correcting me when I said that using the TWF feat with a one-handed weapon would give you a -2/-6 penalty.

Boci
2011-05-08, 09:39 PM
He was correcting me when I said that using the TWF feat with a one-handed weapon would give you a -2/-6 penalty.

Okay, nevermind then.

Greenish
2011-05-09, 07:46 AM
Joe Chaos would like to point out that the agile shield fighting penalties supercede the normal TWF penalties.When did he make a character that doesn't burninate everything? :smallconfused:

Boci
2011-05-09, 08:21 AM
When did he make a character that doesn't burninate everything? :smallconfused:

That's Nuclear Dan you're thinking of. Joe would never limit himself to such a commonly resisted elemental type.

Greenish
2011-05-09, 08:23 AM
That's Nuclear Dan you're thinking of. Joe would never limit himself to such a commonly resisted elemental type.Oh right. That makes more sense.