PDA

View Full Version : LaZodiac

Nano
2011-05-08, 01:02 AM
LaZodiac: Nano, I'm in a bit of a need for assistence
LaZodiac: mycomputer's infecte with a pretty bad virus. I'm in safemode and nothing I was suggested actually works
LaZodiac: I'm asking you before you are my only hope =(
LaZodiac: Can you even get this?
LaZodiac: I don't even know
LaZodiac: I'm probably not actually getting throu
Nano: Oh hey sorry didn't see this... I'm so sorry, I don't actually know what to do! The last time I had a virus I had to reinstall my OS, everything got nuked
LaZodiac: =(
LaZodiac: this virus deleted my taskmanger
LaZodiac: manager
LaZodiac: makes every program bring up the "you must select a thing to use this program with"
LaZodiac: if possible, could you tell the forums what has happend to me and I don't know when or if I'll be back any time soon
LaZodiac: and again, I'm sorry for bothering you
LaZodiac: thank you, Nano
Nano: It's okay... I hope everything turns out alright =(
LaZodiac: thanks Nano

:smallfrown:

Fredaintdead
2011-05-08, 02:53 AM
Awww, poor LaLa. I hope everything works out for her real soon. *hugs* :smallfrown:

Dvil
2011-05-08, 03:35 AM
Oh no, this is awful! I really hope everything works out ok for her :smalleek:

LaZodiac
2011-05-08, 07:17 AM
Good news! If I rightclick and press "run as administrator" everything works. Taskmanager is still completly DEAD though, so I...kinda don't consider myself "fixed" yet. I can still talk and stuff, but like...I could die at any moment, I guess.

Worse comes to worse I system restore. I remember my passwords.

Fredaintdead
2011-05-08, 07:20 AM
Good news! If I rightclick and press "run as administrator" everything works. Taskmanager is still completly DEAD though, so I...kinda don't consider myself "fixed" yet. I can still talk and stuff, but like...I could die at any moment, I guess.

Worse comes to worse I system restore. I remember my passwords.

Well, that's good news at least. Good luck with getting it completely fixed. *hugs*

LaZodiac
2011-05-08, 07:26 AM
I would like to say, thanks for the support everybody. I honestly didn't think it would be this much, and now that I realize I somehow woke up at 6:25 am, if I woke up later this might have more posts in it and that's makin me blush :smalltongue::smallredface:

Dvil
2011-05-08, 07:57 AM
Well, don't blush too much. The universe can't cope with that much adorableness :smallwink:

In more related news, I really hope everything gets itself sorted out soon!

Malfunctioned
2011-05-08, 08:06 AM
Yay! You're partially undeadified! :smallbiggrin:

Worira
2011-05-08, 08:34 AM
Hm, this is ungrand.

Starbuck_II
2011-05-08, 08:39 AM
I just restarted my computer and it went away when it happened to me.

Did you dl something recently?

LaZodiac
2011-05-08, 08:56 AM
Nope, I have not downloaded anything recently. I'll try restarting, my anti virus scan picked up and trojans and about 700 tracking cookies this morning, so with those gone maybe I can restart and everything will be fixed. I have no idea though, I'm not tech savvy.

pffh
2011-05-08, 09:02 AM
If a virus gets a hold of your system you really can't trust it anymore. I'd always recommend the "nuke it from orbit" method (full format and OS reinstall) just to be sure.

LaZodiac
2011-05-08, 09:05 AM
That's the thing though. The second most tech savvy guy I know (the first isn't on yet) said that he's never seen a virus like this. He's seen hijacking of the task manager, hijacking of the internet explorer, not deletion of the taskmanager, and not such a simple loophole as "run as admin" to open up internet explorer. It's apparently "Odd" with quotation marks and a capital O.

Ranger Mattos
2011-05-08, 12:04 PM
Hm, I was wondering why I hadn't seen you on for a few days. You might want to get it checked out by a professional computer geek (by which I mean take it into a PC repair store).

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-05-08, 12:06 PM
Also, there are brilliant people on virus-fighting internet forums who have the answers to everything. Worth seeing what you can find...

LaZodiac
2011-05-08, 12:55 PM
Good news and newsbad (sometimes my laptop's touch pad gets over sensitive and**** like that happens. Decided to keep it because it was funny).

Good news: According to ZombyWoof, my number one tech friend and former/current Geek Squad guy, has revealed to me the problemis a Java bug, specificly in SSV Agent 2. Taskmanager cna be opened by finding the file itself and running as admin.

News bad: I've done everything he's said and nothing fixed my problems. So yha, computer is still F'ed up the A, but atleast I know there is no actual problems.

ZombyWoof
2011-05-08, 01:19 PM
Yeah this isn't a virus from what I can find, just some really, really poor coding and interactions between Vista and Java.

Honestly upgrading to windows 7 should fix the problem, and even if it didn't changing IE 8 to IE 9 should also fix the problem.

What's going on is Explorer is... confused... at the moment :smallwink: And since IE is connected with everything, well... yeah.

You probably shouldn't have been using IE in the first place :smallwink:

(Also SSVHelper is a helper class which is designed to help IE run java.

Alternatively you may try turning off User Account Control :smalltongue: I do that anyways!

LaZodiac
2011-05-08, 01:40 PM
UAC is off, which makes things all the more confusing.

Also, now that I know WHY IE9's installer is borked, I could work it properly. I just don't wanna right now XP

Ranger Mattos
2011-05-08, 02:07 PM
and even if it didn't changing IE 8 to IE 9 should also fix the problem.

Or get Firefox.

Seriously, get Firefox. Right now.

LaZodiac
2011-05-08, 02:12 PM
I've tried it before and highly disliked it, actually.

factotum
2011-05-08, 04:05 PM
Is this your problem, and does the link fix it?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505

LaZodiac
2011-05-08, 04:07 PM
Nope, that's not my problem, unfortunatly. Thanks for trying though =D

Recaiden
2011-05-08, 09:15 PM
Glad to hear that you're back a little bit. You would have been greatly missed.

LaZodiac
2011-05-08, 09:52 PM
A part of me is still surprised that that would be true, Recaiden.

Recaiden
2011-05-08, 10:06 PM
You should trade that part away, yeah?

LaZodiac
2011-05-08, 10:15 PM
Yha, I should. No one's willing to take it though.

Blue Ghost
2011-05-08, 10:15 PM
A part of me is still surprised that that would be true, Recaiden.

We would be missing an awesome DM and an awesome friend.

I would. A bit of disembodied illusion would make a valuable spell reagent.

ZombyWoof
2011-05-08, 10:23 PM
I've tried it before and highly disliked it, actually.
Then at least try chrome XD

absolmorph
2011-05-08, 10:49 PM
I would!

We would be missing an awesome DM and an awesome friend.

I would. A bit of disembodied illusion would make a valuable spell reagent.
It would, wouldn't it? I was actually intending to study it so I can better understand it.

Then at least try chrome XD
Chrome is pretty good. It's rather similar to IE, as far as I can recall. There are some major differences, but most of them (in my opinion, at least) are improvements, and can also mostly be changed if you don't like 'em.

randman22222
2011-05-09, 08:44 AM
Are you still having to run everything as an administrator? There could be a registry edit that would make running .exes back to normal, but editing the registry is a bit like performing intensive surgery on Windows in that you can easily screw things up.

If you want, I could look up what the values regarding .exes should be, and try to walk you through setting them to their defaults.

LaZodiac
2011-05-09, 09:28 AM
Yha, I've still got that problem, but at this point I don't mind anymore. I was only really concerned when I thought it was an out and out virus.

Thanks for the offer, though I doubt even with your assistence I'd be able to surgerymicate this computer.

Maralais
2011-05-09, 09:36 AM
I'm thinking about a worm infection on the internets, because a friend of mine had a similar problem due to a worm. I believe formatting is the only solution.