PDA

View Full Version : Can you have a Familiar, Animal Companion, and Cohort at the same time?

Sims
2011-05-08, 12:00 PM
What a lovely bunch they'd be :D amirite or amirite?

Greenish
2011-05-08, 12:03 PM
Yes you can, but no class advances both animal companion and familiar at the same time, if the two are separate. Some PrCs let you combine the two, though.

I think you could have wild cohort and an undead cohort to round up your menagerie, too. :smallcool:

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-08, 12:03 PM
I think that yes, you can.
Add a Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) just for perfection.

Edit: Swordsage'd

Velden
2011-05-08, 12:21 PM
Your pc must be an arcane spellcaster or all his/her classes must be arcane spelcasters, I used a duskblade.

-Get Obtain Familiar feat [Complete Arcane], page 81, arcane spellcasters classes stack, unlike a normal sorcerer/wizard familiar.
-Get Wild Cohort [web],http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a , better than a ranger animal companion, worse than a druid.
-Get Leadership [Core]

All would get full progression, but different bonuses.

tyckspoon
2011-05-08, 12:23 PM
As separate beings, yes, there's no problem, although the split of resources required means that each one will be weaker than it otherwise would be (class levels that advance Familiar/Animal Companion generally will not advance the other, Leadership score is reduced for Cohort for having a Familiar/Companion already.)

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-08, 12:30 PM
All these:
- Familiar from class or feat
- Animal Companion from class
- Wild Cohort feat
- Undead Cohort feat
- Soulspark from feat or class
- Thrallherd for two cohorts

What you get:
7 stronger servants and a varying amount of weaker followers.

Sims
2011-05-08, 12:35 PM
All these:
- Wild Cohort feat
- Undead Cohort feat

What you get:

I don't think you can get a Thrall and a Cohort, I read somewhere that they can't be together. That and the other Cohort feats replace the existing one.

I'm not trying to diss this hahaha It looks really epic, but I don't think its allowed is all.

Vangor
2011-05-08, 12:38 PM
Yes you can, but no class advances both animal companion and familiar at the same time, if the two are separate. Some PrCs let you combine the two, though.

Technically, the arcane hierophant has you dismiss your familiar on first level, and thereafter your animal companion has bonuses similar to a familiar but is not counted as a familiar. If you gain the obtain familiar feat afterward, your arcane hierophant and base arcane casting class would stack for determining the strength of your new familiar, thus progressing both the familiar animal companion and familiar itself.

Greenish
2011-05-08, 12:40 PM
Technically, the arcane hierophant has you dismiss your familiar on first level, and thereafter your animal companion has bonuses similar to a familiar but is not counted as a familiar. If you gain the obtain familiar feat afterward, your arcane hierophant and base arcane casting class would stack for determining the strength of your new familiar, thus progressing both the familiar animal companion and familiar itself.Hey, neat. :smallcool:

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-08, 12:58 PM
I don't think you can get a Thrall and a Cohort, I read somewhere that they can't be together. That and the other Cohort feats replace the existing one.

I'm not trying to diss this hahaha It looks really epic, but I don't think its allowed is all.
Looking at the Wild Cohort feat, it only says you can only have one Wild Cohort, and I'd assume the same applies to Undead Cohort (don't have it handy right now.) It doesn't say anything about other kinds of Cohorts now being allowed.

Greenish
2011-05-08, 01:42 PM
I don't think you can get a Thrall and a CohortThrallherd can't get Leadership himself, but both of his thralls (and his Psicrystal) could have their own cohorts. That is, if both of his thralls aren't thrallherds themselves.

SilverLeaf167
2011-05-08, 01:57 PM
Oh right, Psicrystals. So you can have 8 servants instead of 7 :smallamused:

Greenish
2011-05-08, 02:15 PM
Oh right, Psicrystals. So you can have 8 servants instead of 7 :smallamused:The psicrystal's cohort would be your ECL-2, and could be a thrallherd with your ECL-3 thrall (and later also your ECL-4 thrall).

Leadership chaining probably won't fly under most DMs, though, and even if it did, the book keeping would be more effort than it's worth.

Coidzor
2011-05-08, 05:10 PM

Wild Cohort isn't like the others, so it would still work with Thrallherd. Undead Cohort, I dunno. I thought there was only an undead cohort from the Undead Leadership feat. Which may have wiggle room due to the language that prevents normal leadership and thrallherd from stacking.

Kaje
2011-05-09, 09:40 AM
Here's a similar question: Would it be permissible to have 5 magical horsies all at the same time, such as in a healer 8/paladin 5/skylord 1/ beloved of valarian 1/ knight of the flying hunt 1?

Morph Bark
2011-05-09, 09:50 AM
All these:
- Wild Cohort feat
- Undead Cohort feat

What you get:

Undead Leadership feat you meant. Also there is the Dragon Cohort feat from the Draconomicon (which lowers a dragon's LA by 3 as long as it is used as a cohort). And the Draconic Steed feat for a Dragonnel. And let's not forget about Psicrystals either.

And there is also the Paladin's special mount. Druid/Paladins may not be possible under RAW, even taking UA into account, but Ranger/Paladins are. Furthermore the Beastmaster PrC gets more animal companions (4 at the end IIRC).

Is there a race with mindlink as a psionic power or psi-like ability? If so, that would greatly aid this build.

Now combine your animal companions, familiars, special mount, psicrystal, dragons and cohorts into an unholy abomination with an effective CR three times greater than yours and capable of casting all your spells and manifesting all your powers and be sure to love it lots OR ELSE.

Thurbane
2011-05-09, 09:15 PM
Here's a similar question: Would it be permissible to have 5 magical horsies all at the same time, such as in a healer 8/paladin 5/skylord 1/ beloved of valarian 1/ knight of the flying hunt 1?
Nay. Sorry! :P

Chess435
2011-05-09, 10:18 PM
Nay. Sorry! :P

Why not? Nay to you too!

Thurbane
2011-05-09, 10:25 PM
Why not? Nay to you too!
Well, to be honest, it was a pun for it's own sake...I think the horse wrangler build should probably work fine. :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-05-09, 10:28 PM
Undead Leadership feat you meant. Also there is the Dragon Cohort feat from the Draconomicon (which lowers a dragon's LA by 3 as long as it is used as a cohort). And the Draconic Steed feat for a Dragonnel. And let's not forget about Psicrystals either.

And there is also the Paladin's special mount. Druid/Paladins may not be possible under RAW, even taking UA into account, but Ranger/Paladins are. Furthermore the Beastmaster PrC gets more animal companions (4 at the end IIRC).

Is there a race with mindlink as a psionic power or psi-like ability? If so, that would greatly aid this build.

Now combine your animal companions, familiars, special mount, psicrystal, dragons and cohorts into an unholy abomination with an effective CR three times greater than yours and capable of casting all your spells and manifesting all your powers and be sure to love it lots OR ELSE.

Kalashtar from Eberron have mindlink.

Coidzor
2011-05-09, 10:33 PM

Be a Healer 8/Cleric 1/Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) 2/Skylord 1/Beloved of Valarian 1/Knight of the Flying Hunt 1/Beastmaster 1

Saves a level and gets an extra horse. :smallcool: I think.

What's the Prestige Class that gives multiple, weaker Animal Companions as one leveled up in it? Animal Lord? Beastmaster?

If so, that's Healer 8/Cleric 1/Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) 2/Skylord 1/Beloved of Valarian 1/Knight of the Flying Hunt 1/Beastmaster 64 for either another horse or another pair of horses, depending.

edit: that would be two animal companions and either get the next one at the first epic level taken or have 2 free levels to play around with.

unosarta
2011-05-09, 10:36 PM
What's the Prestige Class that gives multiple, weaker Animal Companions as one leveled up in it? Animal Lord? Beastmaster?

Beastmaster. The best part of the class is that it doesn't actually require you to have an animal companion in the first place.

Popertop
2011-05-09, 11:08 PM
Leadership chaining probably won't fly under most DMs, though, and even if it did, the book keeping would be more effort than it's worth.

The bard with plenty of bodyguards begs to differ.

Morph Bark
2011-05-10, 04:07 AM
That's Healer 8/Cleric 1/Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) 2/Skylord 1/Beloved of Valarian 1/Knight of the Flying Hunt 1/Beastmaster 64 for either another horse or another pair of horses, depending.

edit: that would be two animal companions and either get the next one at the first epic level taken or have 2 free levels to play around with.

Add the Wild Cohort feat, a level in Druid and you're good to go. If you got a cohort, give him a similar build.

Coidzor
2011-05-10, 04:29 AM
Add the Wild Cohort feat, a level in Druid and you're good to go. If you got a cohort, give him a similar build.

Beastmaster would just stack with Druid for Animal Companion though, I'd thought. I definitely forgot to mention the Wild Cohort feat though, thanks. x,x

Hmm. Does Beast Heart Adept turn an existing AC into a magical beast companion or add a separate one?

Thurbane
2011-05-10, 05:08 AM
Hmm. Does Beast Heart Adept turn an existing AC into a magical beast companion or add a separate one?
Adds a separate one...

dextercorvia
2011-05-10, 10:55 AM
Here is an E6 minionmancer that I came up with. One of the variant Wizards from UA allows a 1/2 strength Animal Companion in place of a familiar.

So Wizard5/Ardent1

H: Natural Bond
1: Wild Cohort
3: Obtain Familiar
6: Psicrystal Affinity

Choose the Magic Mantle and your can share spells or powers with your Familiar, Animal Companion, and Psicrystal.

If you add in 5 levels of Silverwood Arcanist, you can share with your Cohort as well.

FreakyCheeseMan
2011-05-10, 11:21 AM

Only if you make them ride atop one another, in order from largest to smallest, top to bottom.

Morph Bark
2011-05-10, 11:57 AM
Here is an E6 minionmancer that I came up with. One of the variant Wizards from UA allows a 1/2 strength Animal Companion in place of a familiar.

So Wizard5/Ardent1

H: Natural Bond
1: Wild Cohort
3: Obtain Familiar
6: Psicrystal Affinity

I don't think you can take Obtain Familiar if you already have a familiar. Also, Wild Cohort does not count as an Animal Companion for any purpose.

dextercorvia
2011-05-10, 12:26 PM
I don't think you can take Obtain Familiar if you already have a familiar. Also, Wild Cohort does not count as an Animal Companion for any purpose.

You can't. It was traded away for an Animal Companion. I'm not using Natural Bond to advance Wild Cohort, that is for the half strength Animal Companion. It's just an extra minion. If you are going beyond E6, then Silverwood Arcanist allows you to share spells with your cohort.

FMArthur
2011-05-10, 12:28 PM
You know you can just buy pets and mounts, right?

dextercorvia
2011-05-10, 12:30 PM
You know you can just buy pets and mounts, right?

I was creating the Lazer Squad, using Light of Venya and Cloud of Knives.