PDA

View Full Version : MPEL System, Any Thoughts?

Samfool
2011-05-08, 12:15 PM
MPEL System

http://sljglobal.wikispaces.com/file/view/13602_fall_of_the_roman_empire_screen_5.jpg/166085181/13602_fall_of_the_roman_empire_screen_5.jpg

The MPEL System is one that me and my friends randomly created, and it worked very well, so I decided to further the system a bit. Essentially this system allows you to create a nation and control it. Each other player owns a nation and builds it up via war, economic conquest, etc. etc.

Basically you start twenty two with points, these points can be spread throughout four different "Attributes"

Military- The strength of the nation's armies.
Prosperity- The economic stability of the nation.
Espionage- The prowess of the spies and assassins.
Loyalty- The general loyalty of the nation.

The more you have in one, the less you have in another. For example, a Military-based nation would look something like this:
M: 8
P: 4
E: 5
L: 5

You can acquire more points by buying "Technologies"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technologies are bought in game, and are the main way to further your nation.

Technologies look like this:
Basic Agriculture- Tier 1 Tech +2 P
Instead of gathering edible plants, the nation begins to grow them, giving them a bonus to prosperity.

In order to buy Technologies, you must spend "Action Points"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Action Points are acquired at the beginning of the round.
The number of Action Point you acquire 1d6+1/2 your Economics score.

Therefore the Military-Nation from before will acquire an additional +2 Action Points per round.

Each action requires a certain number of Action Points to accomplish, then a certain number of rounds to complete. These values are seen here:

Gain Technology: 6 AP (Each Tech is Different)
Create City: 4 AP (One Round, Each city can house one organization)
Create an Organization: 4 AP (Each Organization can be Military (Armies), Prosperity (Merchant's Guild and the Like), Espionage (Spies and Assassins), Loyalty (Religious Orders) and take one round to create)
Command Organization: 1 AP (Each Organization may only have this done to them once per turn)

I have yet to fully develop a tech tree, so this is not complete, but what do you guys think of it so far?

YouLostMe
2011-05-08, 12:42 PM
Well, it sounds nice in that it's very basic, and I could teach it easily, but I'm not sure how one would go about creating those action thingimajiggers, and I've got a few questions otherwise.

Your prosperity (which you also list as economics later. which one is it?) determines your action points. Your military strength determines how well you beat up other people, I would assume. So what major benefits do Espionage and Loyalty bring in? And what do they stand for? I mean, I really can't conceptualize a nation with high espionage and low prosperity, unless Espionage stands for both FBI-style groups, as well as the World Crime League or the Black Hand or something.

And on a nationwide scale, this makes me think that combat will be very simple, so most of the goings-on are going to be developmental... that's just my take.

Samfool
2011-05-08, 01:48 PM
Well, it sounds nice in that it's very basic, and I could teach it easily, but I'm not sure how one would go about creating those action thingimajiggers, and I've got a few questions otherwise.

Your prosperity (which you also list as economics later. which one is it?) determines your action points. Your military strength determines how well you beat up other people, I would assume. So what major benefits do Espionage and Loyalty bring in? And what do they stand for? I mean, I really can't conceptualize a nation with high espionage and low prosperity, unless Espionage stands for both FBI-style groups, as well as the World Crime League or the Black Hand or something.

And on a nationwide scale, this makes me think that combat will be very simple, so most of the goings-on are going to be developmental... that's just my take.

It is meant to be simple, yes. That was the whole point. A lot of RP would have to be involved to make it fun.

Economics was the original name, but then we couldnt use the letter "E" to signify it. So then it became Prosperity!

I probably should have added this above in the first place..

Commanding Organizations!

Military can do many things, such as:

Attacking- Your basic "Battle" in which your army is the aggressor. You each roll 1d20 and add your Military score. If you loose, your army must wait until their numbers replenish (1 turn). If you are attacking a city, you may apply any Siege Weaponry bonuses that apply (Siege towers, catapults, etc etc).

If your roll doubles theirs, you destroy the army entirely.
If your roll defeats theirs, you have defeated their army. They must wait one round to replenish before returning a counter attack, and you have the option to "Slaughter" the enemy armies.
If your roll matches their roll, there is a stalemate in which neither army has made any progress. You both must replenish.
If you roll under their roll, your army is defeated and they have a chance to "Slaughter" your army.
If the enemy doubles your roll, you are utterly defeated and your army is destroyed.

Defending- Similar to attacking an army, you receive no benefits from being the defender unless you are within the castle walls. Then you receive any City Wall bonuses that may apply (Stone walls, burning oil, etc etc.) along with a +3 base bonus for being in the City, +5 if you are in your Capitol.

If your roll doubles theirs, you destroy the army entirely.
If your roll defeats theirs, you have defeated their army. They must wait one round to replenish before returning a counter attack, and you have the option to "Slaughter" the enemy armies.
If your roll matches their roll, there is a stalemate in which neither army has made any progress. You both must replenish.
If you roll under their roll, your army is defeated and they have a chance to "Slaughter" your army.
If the enemy doubles your roll, you are utterly defeated and your army is destroyed.

Conquer Cities- Defeating a defending army within the city or simply marching upon an unoccupied city and attempting to defeat the militia within it (Militias act just as armies, but at 1/2 the military level)

Attack Crops- Burning crops and destroying farmland or hunting grounds and the like will be an attack on the Prosperity of a nation. If you burn crops, it will hurt the entire nation in some way. To attack Prosperity, you roll 1d20 and add your Military Roll. (If there is an army in the nearby city, they may Sally Forth to attack your army, in which case, there is a battle.) The enemy rolls 1d20 and adds their Prosperity Roll.

If you roll higher than the enemy, take the difference of the rolls and divide that by 1/2. That is the number of "Temporary Prosperity Damage" that is inflicted.

Temporary Prosperity Damage- This applies until the beginning of the turn in which the damage was taken. You use your "New Prosperity Score" to determine points and the like. If you do not have enough Prosperity when the damage is take, you take Permanent Loyalty damage instead.

If you roll under the enemy, you have not destroyed enough to do any real damage, but it is still an act of war.

Slaughtering- This is a vile act of war that involves an army and a defenseless opposing force. This can be against an army who is currently replenishing, another non-militaristic organization or the like. You use your Military Score, and the enemy rolls 1d20 and adds no score. If you win, you destroy the enemy, if you loose, the enemy is still defeated, but have escaped with their lives.

This is just one of FOUR different organizations, so as you can see, I am busy working on those!

I will have the others up shortly.

Samfool
2011-05-13, 01:48 PM
Bump!

What do you guys think of the combat system?