PDA

View Full Version : Question on Warlock

theForce017
2011-05-08, 01:24 PM
I am currently playing a 13th level warlock in a campaign that is probably only going to last a few more sessions. The question is about how many invocations can a warlock cast on himself and have active at one time. For example, I enjoy using "See the Unseen", "Dark One's Own Luck", & "Walk Unseen". Right now, my DM and I have agreed that I can have two invocations active at once. I was wondering if there is anywhere in the rules that states one way or another.

And another question I have would be whether or not I can "cast" some of my invocations on my party. "Walk Unseen" clearly states it is for yourself only. "Flee the Scene" however, I have used to teleport the party past a door. The others however, I am not allowed to use on the party because we can't find in the rules what is suppose to be done.

Any help with reference to books would be great. Thanks!

Greenish
2011-05-08, 01:30 PM
You can have as many invocations active as you want, and it's hardly too powerful given how few you'll have in the end.

Invocations that give you a spell as an SLA, such as Flee the Scene, work like the spell they're based on unless otherwise specified, and neither FtS nor CArc errata says anything about it working differently.

Addi
2011-05-08, 01:33 PM
...how many invocations can a warlock cast on himself and have active at one time.

Eldrich Blast and Invocations funktion "at will". You can cast them once a round without other limitations. That means that you can have as many Invocations active as you want.

Edit: ... ninja'd

RaginChangeling
2011-05-08, 01:34 PM
All invocations are self only and usable at will which means you can have as many active as you want.

Re'ozul
2011-05-08, 01:38 PM
Most of the warlocks buffs work only on the warlock him/herself.
The warlock can have as many buffs on him as he has access to.

Flee the Scene indeed is one that you can use on the party as well, however this is RAW (which counts) since the fact that by text you only leave behind the image of yourself not anyone you actually take with you, which to me implies they wanted to make it warlock-only but forgot to put that in the text.

For your mentoned "others" i have no idead which invocations you are talking to. The usual way to determine viability is:
1. Read the invocation text, Does it say that you can only use it on yourself?
2. Read the text of the spell the invocation is based on, ask the same question.

If both answers are no, you can use it on others, otherwise you cannot.

Airanath
2011-05-08, 01:47 PM
RAW, warlocks can have all his invocations with a duration active at the same time. This is also based in the same reasoning a wizard can Enlarge, Bull Strenght, Greater Magic Weapon, Greater Invisibility, Overland Flight, Haste, Stone Skin the warrior, all running at the same time. The restriction lies in you can only use one of them per round.
The diference between warlock and wizard lies in the warlock buffs only working on himself, as stated in complete arcane. So you can get all the buffs, and have all active, this does make them powerfull, since they have 24h durations, but only marginaly so, as most of those can be persisted anyway(Think of the warlock as a wizard who gets free persist spell on any spells he can only target himself with), they would be great, if he could use on others, but since he can only do so for himself, their powers drops down exponentially. He CAN point where the invisible enemie is, but the fighter still takes 50% miss chance. He CAN turn himself invisible, but he lacks the rogue skills to pick the locks and disable the traps, he CAN fly all day long, at a good speed, but HE can, not his GROUP, unfortunately, the warlock is a sad class, the balance mechanics on them for their at will powers turns them into a mesh of nice abilities stuck with the wrong guy.

Vangor
2011-05-08, 01:54 PM
All invocations are self only and usable at will which means you can have as many active as you want.

I see nothing in the description of invocations anywhere which state invocations are strictly self only. The vast majority I know of say "you" repeatedly, but ones such as flee the scene allow you to use dimension door (with the only change being the range) which allows you to bring along other characters. Those which allow you to use invisibility (walk unseen) and greater invisibility (retributive invisibility) specify self only. Path of shadow, which grants use of shadow walk as the spell, would be used on party members, too.

Perhaps I missed where invocations are stated as self only, but this is not stated in page 7, 8, or 130, nor in the errata.

theForce017
2011-05-08, 02:06 PM
Thanks for all the help!
I didn't think about the Warlocks invocations being like a Wizard and his spells being able to cast Enlarge, Bulls Strength, Greater Magic Weapon, etc. all on himself. That is a good point and thank you.

thompur
2011-05-08, 03:21 PM
Also, Invocations like Fell Flight, Walk Unseen, and Dark Ones Own Luck can be cast on yourself multiple times. You get no extra benefit from this practice, and you're more vulnerable to Reciprical Gyre, but if someone casts Dispel Magic at you, they won't get all the castings, just one. So you won't fall from the sky, suddenly become visible, or become more vulnerable.:smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-08, 10:01 PM

I see nothing in the description of invocations anywhere which state invocations are strictly self only. The vast majority I know of say "you" repeatedly, but ones such as flee the scene allow you to use dimension door (with the only change being the range) which allows you to bring along other characters. Those which allow you to use invisibility (walk unseen) and greater invisibility (retributive invisibility) specify self only. Path of shadow, which grants use of shadow walk as the spell, would be used on party members, too.

Perhaps I missed where invocations are stated as self only, but this is not stated in page 7, 8, or 130, nor in the errata.

It doesn't say that anywhere, because it's not true.

In fact, there are several invocations which target things other than yourself: darkness and baleful utterance both target objects; charm, curse of despair, and earthen grasp all target other creatures; summon swarm and chilling tentacles create area effects; wall of gloom creates a friggin wall; etc.