PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e PrC] Badass (PEACH)

Welknair
2011-05-08, 02:26 PM
Badass
http://images.wikia.com/lotr/images/6/60/Gandalf04.jpg
"I took a level in Badass, can you tell?"

-Gandalf, Badass Wizard

Sometimes people are just downright awesome. They have a tendency to be cooler than they otherwise should be and to do things that are a bit past what they'd be expected to be able to do. These, my friends, are the Badasses.

Becoming a Badass
Badasses can come from all walks of life. Some people are just born destined for greatness. Others go through an amazingly trying ordeal in which they show themselves to be worthy of the status of "Badass".

Entry Requirements
Skills: Must possess 8 ranks in at least one skill
Special: Must have done something absolutely amazing. Like being tossed while bound into a giant vat full of acid with acid breathing sharks and spikes. And surviving.

Skill points at each level: 4 + Int
Class Skills:Bluff, Climb, Concentrate, Craft (All taken individually), Diplomacy, Escape Artist, Heal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (All taken individually), Open Lock, Perform (All taken individually), Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spellcraft, Swim
Hit Dice: d8

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st

+0

+2

+2

+2
Previous Class Features, Badass Look

2nd

+1

+3

+3

+3
Badass Stunt +1

3rd

+2

+3

+3

+3
You Wouldn't Like Me

4th

+3

+4

+4

+4
Badass Stunt +2

5th

+3

+4

+4

+4
Dang Hard to Kill

6th

+4

+5

+5

+5
Badass Stunt +3

7th

+5

+5

+5

+5
Aura of Awesome

8th

+6

+6

+6

+6
Badass Stunt +4

9th

+6

+6

+6

+6
Extended Stunt

10th

+7

+7

+7

+7
Badass Stunt +5, You did WHAT?

Previous Class Features: All Badasses start somewhere. As they progress through this class, they continue to gain some benefits from their original class. Levels of Badass stack with levels of one base class of their choice for determining Spellcasting, Sneak attack, Sudden Strike, Rage, Favored Enemy, smite, Unarmed Strike Damage, Fast Move, Invocations, Maneuvers, Stances (If the original class was a Martial Adept class, treat Badass as if it is as well for the purposes of determining IL), Draconic Auras, Steal Spell, and Grace.

Badass Look: Badasses look Badass. Come up with a suitably daunting description of how the character looks. Whether it be decked out in flowing black robes surrounded by a faint nimbus of unholy light, or always shirtless with a scar across your eye. Badass looks don't necessarily need to be particularly ostentatious either. A simple cloak, hat, and stern look would suffice. Add your Badass level as a bonus to all Intimidate checks.

Badass Stunt: Not only can Badasses do crazy, awesome things, they get bonuses when they do so. When a Badass attempts to do something cool, they get a +1 bonus on said attempt. Cooler stunts are awarded larger bonuses at higher levels. A Badass can get a bonus up to one half their Badass level. For example, grabbing a banner to swing down into a fray while brandishing your weapon in your teeth could easily be a +1. Now, crashing through a window into the middle of a court case, then proceeding to Smite Evil your nemesis... Now that's gonna be more of a +3. A Badass cannot perform more than one Stunt in a given encounter. Maneuvers do not automatically count as Stunts, no matter how cool they sound. Given the limit, there are times in which you will perform cool stunts that could have a rating higher than your cap. In these cases, you must abide by your cap. If you were more Badass, you could have done it better.

You Wouldn't Like Me: ...when I'm angry. Badasses are scary when they get mad. Once per day they may be subject to a Greater Heroism spell with a caster level equal to their HD. This may be activated as an immediate action. For example, the horrid Balor flings you across the room, dealing an amount of damage that would normally drop you to below 0. You can activate this ability and benefit from the Temporary HP to mitigate (or entirely absorb) the damage, thus saving yourself. You can even activate this ability while unconscious.

Dang Hard to Kill: It's hard to kill a Badass. They don't "Die" until they are reduced to -(Badass Level+Con Score) and they gain Improved Natural Healing as a bonus feat if they did not already have it.

Aura of Awesome: By this point the sheer amazing-ness of the Badass is readily apparent. They gain the Frightful Presence ability (DC 10+1/2 HD+Cha Mod) which extends out to a range of 30 feet. The Badass may choose the disguise his Awesome. Activating or deactivating this power is a move action.

Extended Stunt: The Badass becomes able to prolong their Stunts of Epicness over several actions. The Badass may lay out a dramatic course of action which may span up to ten rounds. The DM assigns an appropriate Stunt score for the entire course and this bonus is applied to all checks and rolls made throughout the course of the action. An example would be Tumbling past the guards, Jumping to grab onto the chandelier to swing over the angry mob, firing your Crossbow of Fire behind you at said guards while you do so, before Jumping at the apex of the swing onto the castle wall.

You did WHAT?: Badasses of this level can do things that are... a bit less than possible. They can perform stunts that are simply astounding. Once per day a Badass can add an amount to any one skill that is part of a Stunt equal to four times their ranks in that skill. This bonus does not apply to Concentration checks made for Diamond Mind Maneuvers or Stances. This ability can be used in conjunction with an Extended Stunt, for example, gaining a massive bonus to Balance as to walk across water for one minute.

Multiclass note: Monks and Paladins who become Baddasses may continue advancing as Monks and Paladins.

Oh Pelor, what have I done?

Morph Bark
2011-05-08, 03:20 PM
So why wouldn't you want to take a level in this?

Welknair
2011-05-08, 03:41 PM

Well you still miss out on a number of class features from your original class... The progression of previous class features just covers the features that are usually progressed by PrCs anyways.

Edit: Or were you expressing how cool the class was? I'm not good at picking up that kind of thing...

LOTRfan
2011-05-08, 04:16 PM

That's why its called the Badass, duh. :smalltongue:

I like this class. There are not enough NPC-only options out there. Five base classes and no PrCs?

Morph Bark
2011-05-08, 04:51 PM
Well you still miss out on a number of class features from your original class... The progression of previous class features just covers the features that are usually progressed by PrCs anyways.

Most of those class features are only minor and thus easily overshadowed. But alright, I admit that at first reading I presumed you still gained all the stuff from the previous class. However, even with the minor things gone, that leaves the big stuff still in there, so the original question kinda still stands as a point.

I like this class. There are not enough NPC-only options out there. Five base classes and no PrCs?

Erm, nowhere is it said that this is an NPC-only thing. :smallconfused:

LOTRfan
2011-05-08, 05:08 PM
Erm, nowhere is it said that this is an NPC-only thing. :smallconfused:

Sorry, his last two (three?) PrCs were NPC only, so I just assumed that was the case. You know what happens when you assume, though... :smallsigh:

Welknair
2011-05-08, 09:09 PM
Most of those class features are only minor and thus easily overshadowed. But alright, I admit that at first reading I presumed you still gained all the stuff from the previous class. However, even with the minor things gone, that leaves the big stuff still in there, so the original question kinda still stands as a point.

I'd say it's about an even trade as you lose only minor things and for the large part the features from this class are relatively minor as well, as you noted. It's mostly for the Cool Factor.

Elfstone
2011-05-08, 09:14 PM
Oh. My. God.
You deserve an internetz. Or at least a cookie.

*rollplayer in me comes out*
So what would this put Gandalf at, stat wise? Wizard 5/Badass 2? 3?

Welknair
2011-05-08, 09:46 PM
Oh. My. God.
You deserve an internetz. Or at least a cookie.

*rollplayer in me comes out*
So what would this put Gandalf at, stat wise? Wizard 5/Badass 2? 3?

Well Gandalf doesn't quite fit in as the standard Wizard, given all his... well... He's actually closer to a Cleric or a Favored Soul. He is an angel after all. And given some of things he does, he certainly seems like he'd be a bit higher than- Wait. Badass levels make it seem like you're a much higher level than you actually are, so it's hard to tell.

Oh, and the quote/picture was based of this, one of the more common RPG motivators:

http://seemslegit.com/_images/2d9a23d2246c81d119acad947e408bd3/2241%20-%20badass%20level%20lotr.jpg

Benly
2011-05-09, 05:22 AM
I'd say it's about an even trade as you lose only minor things and for the large part the features from this class are relatively minor as well, as you noted. It's mostly for the Cool Factor.

The class features are pretty minor, but the chassis is pretty slammin' at 3/4 BAB, d8 HD, and all good saves.

GodGoblin
2011-05-09, 05:39 AM
OK I love this. One thought that occured is maybe give free skill tricks instead of the skill bonuses?

Because swinging from a tree with a whip is downright badass.

LOTRfan
2011-05-09, 07:28 AM
OK I love this. One thought that occured is maybe give free skill tricks instead of the skill bonuses?

Because swinging from a tree with a whip is downright badass.

I agree. And make it so that the stupid 1 trick per encounter rule doesn't apply to this class....

GodGoblin
2011-05-09, 07:32 AM
I would say make 'Badass stunt' let you choose a skill trick without meeting the Pre-reqs and not costing skill points. At at level 5 Have 'Stunt Master' or something that lets you use more than one a round instead of the +5

Just my 2cp :smallsmile:

Edit- But if you want to keep the bonuses to skills thing maybe let them take 10 a few times a day or hell give them action points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm)

Double edit- The more I think about it the more I would recommend using the action points lets them flip out and do awesome stuff, its darn perfect!