PDA

View Full Version : Giovanni Chronicles IC

Calenestel
2011-05-08, 03:37 PM
This is the IC thread for Giovanni Chronicles.
OOC thread found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10948928#post10948928).

April 3 AD 1444

A roaring hearth fire banishes the night's chill and gloom from the spacious common room in the Red Lamb Inn in the Carpathian wilderness near the manse of Claudius Giovanni, the powerful venetian merchant you've all been invited by for a great feast.
At the moment the inn lies almost empty. Only the innkeeper, a maid, a young soldier sitting by the hearth, a monk in brown robes mumbling into his mug at a table in the centre of the room and an old beggar woman sitting at the door is present in a room spacious enough to accomodate two score patrons.

A quick explanation. Each one of you, regardless of social standing, have been invited by lord Claudius Giovanni, one of the most influential members of the Giovanni merhcant family to a party.

The Giovanni are, among the citizens and nobles of Venetia, said to be so powerful that even the Doge tread carefully among them. Darker rumors still have at times been whispered by the envious or foolish. That their power stems not only from their riches but from the Dark Arts as well.

Anyone coming from Italy know about the Giovanni. Anyone coming from Venice knows that the Doge himself listens to the family and that they are immensly rich.
Those who have an ear towards the ground in Venice might have picked up the last rumor. Always told in hushed voices and with constant looks over the speakers' shoulders. It is a dangerous rumor whether it is true or not.

Lady Tialait
2011-05-08, 03:58 PM
Kathrine Celestina della Passaglia

Kathrine smiles as she walks into the quaint little Inn. She had been invited by the powerful Giovanni family, she would have refused the offer of her own accord, however her family insisted. One day she would have the family, and they would serve the Pope with their wealth and experience. Seeing the old beggar woman she took out a single coin placing it by the beggar lady.

"God's blessings."

Seeing the Monk she smiles, another person of the cloth to teach her, perhaps this trip would not be a waste of her time. She walks over to the Old man and taps him on the shoulder to gain his attention.

"Greetings sir, I am Kathrine Celestina della Passaglia. I am here to meet with the Lord of the Manor, however my passion is learning of our Lord. Can you teach me?"

She gives him a winning smile, in her experience men of God responded well to her sweet smile.

Calenestel
2011-05-08, 04:10 PM
As Kathrina enters she draws the attention from the people there already. The beggar woman mumbles what sounds like a heartfelt thanks, and quickly pockets the coin, the young soldier eyes her critically but soon looks away and returns to his contemplation and the innkeeper is almost on the verge to hail her when she steps up to the monk who has, so far, not even seemed to notice her entrance.

When she hails him, the monk looks up, however. Studying her almost warily. "The Lord of the Manor? Listen to me, sister. An evil has entered Christendom from the lands to the south. An ill wind from the land of the heathen. Know ye the wind I mean?" There is a urgent tone to his voice and light in his voice that borders on the maniacal. The monk seem stable enough, but passionate as to approach the borders of sanity. And he doesn't wait for Kathrina to reply to his first question. "It is the wind of the Devil. Tell me: what know ye of your host?"

Lady Tialait
2011-05-08, 04:19 PM
Kathrine does not lose her composure, but hearing that she soon was to enter the domain of the Devil himself. Well, that was disturbing, this Monk seemed to have not lost his mind completely, so perhaps she could reason with him.

"I am dealing with Giovanni, I know that much. They are influential in the city of Venice, and have a hold on the waning Doge. To call him the Devil seems a bit extreme. Has he cheated in business? Our Lord would ask you to turn the other cheek. How do you come to the conclusion that he is such an evil?"

Daisuke1133
2011-05-08, 05:09 PM
Wilhelm Wolff

When Wilhelm enters the inn he hopes that he does not appear to be even half as uncomfortable as he feels. To have to immerse himself in foreign politics was bad enough, but to have to treat this merchant as though he were some landed noble was almost unthinkable to the young warrior who was brought up in a feudal society. All of the rules that should apply to the situation would have to be thrown out. Adding to his agitation was the fact that without his accustomed accouterments, his weapons and armour, he felt almost naked. At the very least he still had his dagger, which was a small comfort at the very least. But it would be highly improper to be girded for war when meeting this man, Giovanni. But as always, he had a duty to fulfill and fulfill it he would.

He takes a seat by the fire, making certain to keep the entrance and the stairway to the upper floor in his field of vision. Though he knew he needed to worry more about diplomatic matters, he felt it foolish to neglect his personal safety for even a moment. This was a foreign land with different ways than the ones he is used to, and few were the people he could call upon for aid of any sort.

And so it begins... he thinks to himself as he allows the heat from the flames to warm his body, wearied somewhat from the journey from Bavaria to Italy.

Calenestel
2011-05-08, 05:52 PM
Kathrine:
Waving his hand as if dismissing your question, instead he continues his tirade, rant even. "Tomorrow ye enter into the abode of evil! Shun it! Reject it! Cast it out! Go ye not! Claudius Giovanni, he spits the name as if a curse, and quickly follows up with spitting on the floor, drawing a stern look from the innkeeper, "is the very Devil Incarnate!" He goes on weaving a wild tale of diabolical sacrifices in the manor, where the Devil is raised by mockery of the Last Supper. The monk's tone becomes increasingly more agitated as he carries on and he slowly starts to give an impression of being a bit more than simply unhinged. There's a small speck of spit in the corner at his mouth and the fervor in his eyes grows to a fire that lacks almost all sense of mental balance.

Wilhelm: The ranting monk is easily the center of attention at the moment, yet still you catches the young soldier at the table next to yours studying you more than the mad man of God, as if he's wants something but hesitates.

Lady Tialait
2011-05-08, 06:04 PM
Kathrine places her hand on the Monk's shoulder, "The Lord says; Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour." she shakes her head, "However, I must go on. I go with a protection even Giovanni cannot penetrate; 'Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.' So says the Lord our God." she releases the Monk, and goes to the innkeeper. There was no helping the drunkard or the madman, even as he wears the clothing of the clergy.

Daisuke1133
2011-05-08, 06:12 PM
Attempting, almost unsuccessfully, to tune out the fevered ravings of the monk, Wilhelm focuses on the soldier currently neighboring him. He takes note of the way the man studies him and almost speaks out to him.

"I notice that I hold your interest more than the rantings of the resident monk." he says, his Italian marred by his accent, "Is there aught that I might do for you, good sir?"

Kalirren
2011-05-08, 06:24 PM
The door swung open, and in walked a middle-aged man. He was well-dressed, well-built, and wore shoes as impressively pointed as his nose. He doffed his hat upon entering, and held the door briefly for his companions before moving on to talk with the innkeeper. Following him in was a younger woman, rather simply yet elegantly dressed, perhaps the man's wife.

"You're sure this is the place?" asked she. She looked around, seeming somehow surprised by the venue. "This is the only place it could be," he responded. With purpose he approached the innkeep at the bar. "This the place where the Lord Giovanni is hosting tonight, yes?" His Italian had a heavy Hungarian accent.

Savannah
2011-05-08, 08:10 PM
A young nun enters at the heels of the couple. She seems a little shy, as she keeps to the back of the room, although she smiles when she catches the beggar woman's eye.

Lady Tialait
2011-05-08, 08:42 PM
Seeing the man in the pointed shoes, Kathrine chuckles, bringing servants into the Inn? Was that servant invited? How very rude. She then saw the shy nun, smiling to herself she decided to speak. How wonderful to see two members of the cloth, even if one was like dirt. She walks over to the shy nun. Her Italian perfect "A member of the nunnery in Babylon? How nice." She chuckles to herself, "A question, perhaps you can teach me. The good book says; 'Let your women keep silent in the assemblies, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says.' yet I have many times seen nuns acting as leaders in the church. How do you explain this sinful disobedience?"

Savannah
2011-05-08, 09:20 PM
Catalina blinks, taken aback by the sudden question. "It-it is not my place to question such things, but to do as the Lord commands me."

Lady Tialait
2011-05-08, 09:31 PM
Kathrine shakes her head, "No, you do not. I quote the First Epistle to the Corinthians written by the blessed St. Paul, and you turn around and say you speak to the Lord as if he was your earthly husband. You are not a woman of the Lord, you are....A woman of Babylon here to temp the virtuous." She sighs, "I am here in service to the commandments of the Lord, Obey thy mother and thy father. Otherwise, I would spit upon you and leave your presence. I do not take well to those who insult my Lord by taking upon themselves to pretend to be holy."

Savannah
2011-05-08, 10:28 PM
Catalina recoils, as if slapped. "You presume to know what I am? Does not the Bible also state 'Judge not lest you be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.'? Perhaps you should look to yourself and see that you are silent and submissive as commanded by the Lord, before you pass judgment on someone you have never met."

Lady Tialait
2011-05-08, 10:42 PM
Kathrine does not recoil, she smiles, "And a man will choose...any wickedness, but the wickedness of a woman...Sin began with a woman and thanks to her we all must die', my judgement is already a foregone conclusion in the eyes of the Lord. As a woman caused the fall of man, it stands to woman to show him the path back to God, and not tempt him. Ask him only the questions he needs, and ask nothing for ourselves. You choose to do your wifely duties to God himself." Kathrine rolls her eyes, "Fool."

DJDizzy
2011-05-09, 06:47 AM
Enzo turns around, apparently overhearing the conversation between the 2 women. "And why is it you call her a fool? Because she does not agree with you? Would you call all persons not of the christian faith fools aswell? And it seems your companion does have a point. Only god shall judge, or shall he? You see, in the muslim lands, they have a different faith. Shall they be judged by your god, or shall you be judged by Allah?"

Lady Tialait
2011-05-09, 10:06 AM
Kathrine turns to Enzo and scoffs, "I now know that the Monk was correct that 'An evil has entered Christendom from the lands to the south. An ill wind from the land of the heathen.' and he stands before me. Begone Satan, I shall not hear your temptation."

AvianMalkavian
2011-05-09, 01:24 PM
Devargo Barvassi

Devargo entered the inn, shutting the door behind him as he removed his cloak, resting it over a nearby chair as he moved to the hearth, ignoring the argument currently gathering the bulk of patrons attention. He warmed his hands, idly taking in the place and the people within. It was odd to receive an invitation to visit Lord Claudius Giovanni, especially for someone of his station, but he wasn't about to ignore it.

His gaze stopped on the young maid, and he offered her a slight smile and a nod before finally turning his attention upon the nun and the noblewoman and now by a man. He let out a small sigh, glancing over at the soldier and the other man, "Greetings Sirs, what brings you here on this night?"

Savannah
2011-05-09, 01:27 PM
While Kathrine is distracted, Catalina edges away from her, towards the monk.

Kalirren
2011-05-09, 02:02 PM
After a short while, the well-dressed man went back and dragged his lady companion off slightly to the side. “We’re to wait here,” he remarked, with a slightly displeased but well moderated grimace on his face. “Apparently someone’s going to pick you up and whisk you off to the Mansion of Mystery.” He rolled his eyes. “And yes, I can’t come. Are you sure you’ll be fine by yourself, Laura?” he asked. “Relax, Zoltan,” responded Laura. “I’m sure he just wants to know something about you before he deals with you face to face, that’s all. They say the best way to know a man is through his family, and I’m sure I’ll meet his.”

Zoltan laughed. “Well, don’t give too much away, then.” He gave a short shrug. “All right, I think I’ll wait for this Sir Lothar, or whomever it is that Signor Giovanni sends out, before heading back to town. I have to know when I should be expecting you back. Besides, if I can’t meet the Signor personally, then at least I want someone in his household to have seen me, recognize my face.”

“Are you sure you’ll be fine with this?” she asked. “Oh, absolutely,” came his response. “Better that you meet him than that neither of us do.” He sounded reluctant about that, and gave the door a wary glance as he said it. “Besides, I trust you.” A shudder ran down Laura’s back. “I’ll be fine waiting. You should meet the other guests,” he insisted. "An odd group, this. I’ve never really understood…Italians.” Laura gave him a look at that one. Zoltan mischievously shrugged, pulled up a chair and sat himself down. He never wanted to be disturbed in that mood.

Laura sighed. Well, that was that. Time to mingle now. The men looked like they were about to become preoccupied with their own matters, and no group of men ever truly liked a woman's voice. She proceeds by herself to the table that Enzo is sitting at. Gesturing to a spare chair, she asks him, "May I?"

DJDizzy
2011-05-09, 04:36 PM
Enzo scowls at the woman "You believe that Italy, surely the most influential nation in all of the continent, is a place of heathens? Forgive me if I am mistaken, but doesn't the pope himself reside in the center of Italy? Surely, he is not a heathen, is he?"

Enzo turns his face to the newcomer with a smile "Surely good ma'am, and may I ask, what is your name?"

Lady Tialait
2011-05-09, 04:47 PM
"I am Kathrine, and you are a Muslim, not a man of God. Perhaps I have been mistaken with your blaspheme about Allah? Either way, I apologize, I should know my place below a man." Kathrine then stomps her own foot.

DJDizzy
2011-05-09, 04:51 PM
Enzo lets out a hearty laugh "A muslim? Me? And they say people of the cloth have no humour. I am no more a muslim than you are."

Lady Tialait
2011-05-09, 04:55 PM
Kathrine blushes, "I am not of the cloth, only my dreams would I attain such an honor. I am just the only child of the merchant house della Passaglia."

Kalirren
2011-05-09, 09:46 PM
Laura smiles. "I'm Laura Farkas, and that's my husband, Zoltan." Farkas was a Hungarian name, but Laura spoke Italian like a Venetian. "You'll have to excuse my husband, he's in a foul mood." She settled herself down, taking up as little space as possible. "We've just had too much traveling in recent weeks. Have your own travels been well?"

Calenestel
2011-05-10, 04:50 AM
Wilhelm&Devargo:
The young man stands as Wilhelm hail him, favouring his right leg visibly. After looking over his shoulder towards the other guests and their rather... animated discussion he limps the few steps over to the knight's table and bows stiffly towards him and Devargo. "Your pardon for bothering you, milord. Greetings, milord. I'm, Paul, a soldier, recently back from János Hunyady's crusade against the turks. I wonder... are you really going to lord Giovanni's manse? As a guest?" he queries. Despite seeming rather embarassed by the situation he still doesn't hesitate when asking about Wilhelm's dealings with lord Giovanni, and doesn't seem willing to be put off, it would seem rather certain that he is indeed a veteran soldier.

Catalina:
As Catalina sneaks away from the awkward situation and closer to the monk he greets the nun, his eyes still ablaze with zeal and righteousness. "God's Blessing upon ye, sister! Are ye another one of Claudius Giovanni's" (spit) "guests?" Still, he speaks in more hushed tones now. If that is because he feels a bit spent from his previous rant or as not to interrupt other discussions is hard to tell.

All:
While you speak the maid starts weaving her way around you, bearing a tray with pewter mugs of ale and red wine. Any attempts to pay are met with silent explanations of all expenses being paid for already in an almost awed voice. She also takes orders of food for those so inclined.

Also I forgot: Catalina's smile was met with a grateful, and surprisingly wise, smile from the old beggar woman.

AvianMalkavian
2011-05-10, 09:58 AM
Devargo accepted one of the mugs of ale, offering a mischievous grin towards the maid before taking a sip. The drink would go a long way towards warming him up. Turning back to Paul and Wilhelm, his eyes widened just a touch in surprise, "You are also going to visit Lord Giovanni? I, too, have been invited to his party. Has everyone here?"

Savannah
2011-05-10, 04:37 PM
Catalina frowns slightly in puzzlement, "God's Blessing upon you as well, sir. Yes, I am one of the guests, although what Lord Giovanni would want with a simple woman such as myself I do not know."

Lady Tialait
2011-05-10, 04:50 PM
Kathrine rolls her eyes at the Nun, "Lord knows what ANYONE would want with you."

Savannah
2011-05-10, 04:59 PM
Catalina ignores Kathrine's remark, although her hands briefly clench into fists.

Kalirren
2011-05-10, 10:07 PM
Laura opens her mouth, but Zoltan pipes up out of nowhere before Laura can speak. Judging from the fluidity of the maneuver on his part, he was used to the trick. "She's been invited," he began, his eyebrows raised at his consort almost accusatorily. "Which I think is very strange, to invite a man's wife but not him, but apparently our host the Don is a very strange man indeed." He rises and circles to where Laura is sitting, and puts his hands on her shoulders. "I'm Farkas Zoltan," he introduces himself with a slight bow to all of those sitting. "It's my pleasure to meet you all. You see, when she received her invitation I assumed the Lord Giovanni knew her somehow. I'm just waiting to see if the enigmatic Don is just an old childhood friend who struck it rich, or something."

"Please, Zoltan," Laura implored, clearly embarrassed. She had barely managed to break into the conversation on her own, only to have him sweep her up again. "I'm sure the Don is just looking for some Italian company, that's all. We're so far from the homeland. I know I'm relieved just to hear our noble tongue spoken."

Calenestel
2011-05-11, 02:56 AM
The monk looks a bit to Zoltan, Enzo and Laura and raises his voice somewhat after they have included Catalina in the discussion again. But he continues to speak to the latter, a woman of the Church and not the World in his eyes. Even if he makes sure the other can hear him well enough. "I know that fiend's twisted mind, Sister! I know why he summoned ye! Each night he and his demons mock our Holy Communion! They perform hellish sacrifices and unspeakable acts to raise their Dread Lord to our world! Go ye not lest ye become his next victim! Shun the Devil! Shun him!"

AvianMalkavian
2011-05-12, 12:13 PM
"Yes, soldier. Lord Giovanni has invited me to visit his manor as a guest." Devargo smirks at the mad old monk, sipping at his ale thoughtfully. Lord Giovanni was apparently a very wealthy man That meant that certainly there would be something, if not many things, in his manor worth pilfering.

Still, the fact that he was invited at all continued to bother him, "Why do you ask, soldier?"

Daisuke1133
2011-05-12, 12:22 PM
"As a representative, actually. Sadly, my father had too many responsibilities at home to respond to Lord Giovanni's invitation personally. He has sent me in his stead." Wilhelm says, feeling somewhat uncomfortable with making small-talk with this soldier. He wondered if all the commoners of this land were so presumptuous in their conversations.

Savannah
2011-05-12, 04:51 PM
Catalina gasps in shock at the monk's statement, "Surely he would not do such a terrible thing!"

Lady Tialait
2011-05-12, 06:07 PM
Kathrine smiles at Catalina "Why? Why wouldn't he? If he wished to spit in the face of our Lord, how better to do it? You may see this as a reason to run and hide, but you should simply don the armor of the Lord and march into the mouth of evil. This warning is our Lord's way of showing us to be vigilant." Kathrine smiles to herself, this was her chance to be as Joan of Arc, a powerful knight in the cause of the Lord, perhaps she would be destroying this corrupt creature.

Calenestel
2011-05-13, 03:51 AM
Devargo & Wilhelm:
When you confirm that you are indeed guests to lord Giovanni Paul grows both more hesitant and more insistant. "I was wounded in battle, milords. Badly. With God's good Grace I healed and didn't loose my leg. But I'll never walk or run as well as I once did. I have no learning, nor skills at farming or a trade. I know no other life than soldiering, and I cannot travel on long marches. I am told Lord Giovanni is hiring many men. If he will not have me, I know not where to turn. Milords, If you... If you could talk to that sir Lothar when he comes to collect you, I'd be forever in your debt."
Wilhelm does indeed recognize the precarious position of the young man. If he had no lord to care for him and no other source of income a soldier unable to march would starve. Finding a position defending a house and not having to march anymore would be one of the few ways out indeed.

The rest:
The monk looks to Kathrine, growing increasingly flustered by her refusal to be scared of. "Ye do not understand, sister! This foe is beyond ye! Ye should-"
"Oi! Tha's enough out o' ye!" the monk is interrupted. The one speaking is the innkeeper who, blushing comes up to the gathering. "Yer pardon, milords, miladies. A thousand pardons," he says, bowing and sweating before turning on the monk. "Father, please! Ye know what sir Lothar would say about this! Ye agreed to stay out o' this! Please!" he pleads. Obviously the innkeep is very worried about being caught between a man of God and his Lord. A rock and a hard place for any humble innkeeper.

AvianMalkavian
2011-05-13, 12:19 PM
Devargo offers the soldier a smile and a reassuring pat on the shoulder,"Do not worry, my friend. When this Sir Lothar arrives, I will speak to him for you."

Daisuke1133
2011-05-13, 12:24 PM
Wilhelm's suspicions are dashed away by the story of the soldier's plight. It was not presumption, but desperation that drove the man's words and deeds.

"We both shall offer our aid. I'll not see a soldier survive war only to die of starvation. Too many have suffered such a fate already." He tells the soldier in his most reassuring manner.

Calenestel
2011-05-14, 01:04 AM
Paul's slightly crestfallen look lightens considerably when both of you promise to speak on his behalf and he makes a jerky but adequate bow towards you. "Thank you, milords. I shan't forget it and I'll be forever in your debt." With a smile on his face and a relieved sigh he backs off to return to his own table and what's left of his meal, not wanting to bother you any more.

Kalirren
2011-05-14, 04:26 PM
"This?" interjects Zoltan. "Wait, what's this you speak of? How often does Don Giovanni hold these gatherings?" he asks the innkeep. His voice remains calm, but his right hand comes off of Laura's shoulder, and he stands with his left still on her, as if to protect her.

Laura turns, but doesn't manage to make it quite all the way around. "Zoltan, please!" She was more insistent this time. This was her opportunity, and she was just starting to take ownership of it. "Stop worrying about me, I'll be fine," she asserted.

Calenestel
2011-05-15, 03:28 AM
Seeming a bit confused by the monk's words himself the innkeep scratches his head. "Ne'er what I heard, milord. I for sure has never had such guests such as ye. I swear it."

As the afternoon slips into full night more and more arrive who must be other guests to the mansion. Alone or in pairs they seem to come from very different social strata. Four seem to be of noble birth, or at least to move in noble circles:
A blonde woman in her early twenties dressed in the latest venetian fashion (although maybe with a neckline a touch too deep and skirts with a hemline maybe just a triffle to high for those who can tell such things) but alone and a redhaired lady who's dress is a bit outdated but of excellent quality and who is accompanied by a maid, a frenchman in just as modern fashions as the blonde woman and carrying a light rapier accompanied by two men (a snivelling footman and an armsman) and a blonde giant of a man with cold demeanor and a strange, musical accent in clothes just as fine but even more outdated than the redhaired woman's he is alone but carries a broadsword like he knows how to use it very well.
There's also a woman who's italian sounds like she might be from the northern most parts of Italy or even closer to here than that, she dresses like a rather poor farmer's daughter, another german who's dress clearly marks him as a common soldier and he carries a zweihänder with an air of defiance and lastly a swarthy beauty of a woman in the garish clothes of a street performer with another strange accent you can't really place a faint sound of jingles from her person as she moves.

All in all you're number has reached thirteen and by the mutterings of the innkeeper it would seem that no more are to be expected.

Savannah
2011-05-15, 12:07 PM
While everyone has been coming in, Catalina has found a seat in the back and been sitting in silent prayer, which seems to have settled her nerves somewhat.

Lady Tialait
2011-05-15, 12:45 PM
After everyone had entered, the room grew crowded. Kathrine was tired from her travel, and ordered a meal from a serving woman. She would take her meal, find her room, and sleep off the road.

DJDizzy
2011-05-16, 04:36 PM
Enzo turns to the couple sitting next to him "Tell me Laura, what do you make of all this? 13 people summoned to see this Giovanni. 13 was the number that sat at the last supper. 13 is the age when jewish boys reach adulthood. There are 13 cards in a suit of cards. Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon with the 13th legion, and perhaps, most importantly, 13 is the number of steps in the gallows. Never ignore a coincidence"

AvianMalkavian
2011-05-16, 05:19 PM
Devargo watched the latest group of Lord Giovanni's apparent guests arrive, his attention primarily focused on the lovely yet exotic looking street performer. He offered some small greeting to anyone that bothered to look his way, but kept to himself for now, wondering why this Lord Giovanni had brought together such a strange gathering of people.

Kalirren
2011-05-16, 06:09 PM
Enzo turns to the couple sitting next to him "Tell me Laura, what do you make of all this? 13 people summoned to see this Giovanni. 13 was the number that sat at the last supper. 13 is the age when jewish boys reach adulthood. There are 13 cards in a suit of cards. Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon with the 13th legion, and perhaps, most importantly, 13 is the number of steps in the gallows. Never ignore a coincidence"

"Evidently our host is a numerologist," parried Laura. "I hope he will entertain us with our fortunes this evening." She smiled enigmatically. Zoltan had brought the three of them each a cup of mulled wine, of which she savored a gulp. "At least he'd better translate, I'm not even sure everyone here speaks Italian anymore, much less hails from our home." There went that hypothesis, anyway. "The one who jingles. Has she even said a word?" Zoltan turned to look at the streetdancer even as Laura's remained fixed on Enzo.

Calenestel
2011-05-17, 02:43 AM
No, the street performer hasn't spoken, aside from a few friedly words towards the beggar woman. At the end of their rather short conversation she had given the old woman a coin and gotten a lopsided flower in return. She had kept it, but it had seemed to be in respect of the woman.

The monk does several attempts to speak with the newer arrivals, including the dancer but to no avail. The others either respectfully refuses to discuss the matter, out of fear of Lord Giovanni probably, they are all either of low social standing or foreigners. Or they rebuke him more openly, the coldest reaction he is given from the blonde nobleman who seems to have little patience with clergy.

The sun has now set completely and the first stars appeared. Most of the guests have settled into an easy atmosphere of low voiced conversations in whatever company they have seemed to find themselves in (even if there is the obvious difference between aristocracy and the common folk), most have finished their meals. The swarthy woman had been the last to arrive and she had just been served some hot stew and a mug of wine when the doors open again and four men enter. The first two are armed guards bearing lord Giovanni's crest, they are burly men who seem to know how to handle the swords they carry. After them comes a finely dressed man, slightly built and with aristocratic features marred by a deep scar running over the right side of his face from hairline to cheek, his dark hair is cut short and his brown eyes seem to take the whole scene in with just a glance. The last is a ruddy-faced young man with a coachman's leather clothes and a big, wooden cross hanging from a cord around his neck. The guards stay by the door, one with a hand on the hilt of his sword, while the other two steps forward.

After a second look at the assembled patrons, where he seem to pay extra attention to each of the Invited, the finely dressed man makes the slightest of bows towards them. "I am sir Lothar, steward to Lord Giovanni. I am he who, by my Lord's orders, selected the thirteen of you from among all the great masses of folk to meet the Lord. This is Roderigo. He is the head coachman, whose duty it is to bring you all to the Lord's manse on the morrow." At that last part he gestures dismissively towards the leatherclad younger man one step behind him.

Daisuke1133
2011-05-17, 08:04 PM
At the mention of Sir Lothar's name, Wilhelm rises from his seat. He makes his way to the steward and grabs the man's attention.

Begging your pardon, Sir Lothar, but I have some business to discuss with you before I do anything else here."

There is a soldier here. Paul, by name. Saying this, Wilhelm points out the man for Sir Lothar. "He seeks employment under Lord Giovanni. He is a veteran of János Hunyady's crusade against the Turks, so you can be sure that the man has a good deal of experience as a soldier. I would ask that you give him this opportunity."

Calenestel
2011-05-18, 01:26 AM
Lord Giovanni's steward seemed on the verge of launching into some speech that he'd prepared beforehand when Wilhelm steps forward. A bit annoyed at being interrupted sir Lothar seemed on the verge of dismissing the matter entirely but a look at the german's stubborn face makes the man change his mind. A brief, impatient nod he waves Wilhelm away and motions for Paul to come forward.
When the crippled soldier has limped over to him he first studies him intently for a couple of seconds. After that he nods slightly and takes the man aside slightly. After a quick discussion Lothar raises his voice so that Wilhelm might hear as well: "If you wish to serve my Lord as his loyal soldier then go, in silence, and gather your belongings and be ready to travel with me when I leave. Move."
Paul gives the lot of you a very grateful glance, but he dares not to say a word as he hurries of outside. Still, his relief could almost be felt from across the room.

With that interruption taken care of sir Lothar starts to make his way through the room, greeting everyone of the thirteen individually, the first being the blonde nobleman with the heavy sword.
The steward of lord Giovanni takes his hand as if to shake it, but then holds it slightly longer than what is comfortable, or appropriate. When the big nobleman opens his mouth, obviously to protest, he is silenced with a glance. "Welcome to Lord Giovanni's holdings. I am pleased you have graced us with your company. I hope your stay is an agreeable and memorable one," the steward says. And as he speaks he raises the blonde man's hand to his nose, as if sniffing for something. This is repeated with slight variations as he moves from invited guest to guest. Any woman's hand is held even longer than the men's. He is certainly sniffing for something, you notice, and when greeting Laura personally he even licks her hand quickly, at the base of the thumb. He does not give a mad impression, seeming completely collected and aware of his actions, but neither does he seem to think his behaviour odd.
So confident is he, though, and so strong of personality that none of the other guests seem able to protest. His grip is firm and overwhelmingly strong as well, making you feel that any effort to pull away would be futile.
Zoltan is given only a curt nod.

After greeting the thirteenth guest, the craftswoman first to arrive except for some of you whom he gives that same quick lick that he gave Laura, Lothar turns toward the assembly again. "It is good that you are all assembled. Our Lord is eagerly anticipating the joy of serving you tomorrow. Your are most fortunate to have captured his attention. This is a day that your loved ones will long remember. Now... If any of you, lucky Chosen has questions for me I suggest you make your case now. I will soon return with haste to my Lord's manse, leaving you in the capable hands of Roderigo."

Lady Tialait
2011-05-21, 11:56 AM
Kathrine puts down her commoner's spoon. "I do expect that the Lord of the Manse will offer me something better to consume then this common pottage." Kathrine steps up and greets Lothar pulling her hand back when he holds it too long, "Sir, I am not your lover, I would ask that you do not obsess with me."

AvianMalkavian
2011-05-21, 12:24 PM
"I have a question," Devargo says, raising a hand to catch Lothar's attention as he steps forward. He offered the man a smile, his attention drifting for a moment as he idly brushed a stray bit of dust off of his coat before looking back up.

"I'm wondering why it was us that Lord Giovanni invited. What makes us these.. lucky chosen?"

Calenestel
2011-05-21, 02:19 PM
When Cathrine says that she is not sir Lothar's lover she is met with a wry, slightly condescending and rather creepy, smile. Aside from that he ignores the comment and instead chooses to answer her question. "My Lord's servants has prepared for him a meal of the most exquisit kind. There will be courses there that has never graced the Lamb. And never will they. Rest assured of that."

And at that he turns to Devargo with the same smile still playing on his lips. "My master has invited you because you all has your own unique qualities that will serve his interests well. And yours too, of course."

Do only open the next spoiler if you gain THREE successes (or more) on an Intelligence+Awareness roll. Difficulty 6.
(Even those who hasn't posted yet)

Did you really? Gratz. :smallamused:
You recall having seen sir Lothar before. Rather recently travelling through your village, town, part of your city, convent (only the part where the visitors are allowed of course) or whatever fits best.

Did you get four successes (or more)? Open this too:
No peeking! :smallwink:
He even inquired about you, from what you heard.

Did you roll even better? Wow. Open this too:
Psych! No peeking! :smallbiggrin:

Daisuke1133
2011-05-21, 02:23 PM
While Wilhelm was content to pass the unique modes of dress of the others as simple eccentricity, he was rather disturbed by Sir Lothar's "greeting". He began to think that perhaps that monk had not been quite as moon-kissed as he had at first appeared.

Just what in Heaven's name have I gotten myself into? He thinks to himself, very careful to hold his tongue and try to keep an outward appearance of calm even as people around him act in an utterly mad manner.

Savannah
2011-05-21, 04:34 PM
Catalina hangs to the back, occasionally glancing towards the monk but mostly watching Lord Giovanni's men. She was visibly uncomfortable with steward's attention, but did not protest.

Kalirren
2011-05-22, 10:57 AM
Initially, Laura had made no offer of her own person to Sir Lothar, for she had not thought herself of such standing, but neither did she think herself in the position to refuse him, so when Sir Lothar sought first to grasp her hand, Laura let him take it from her skirt. Only in Laura's subconscious did it occur to her that something wasn't quite right, and quicker than her own wits allowed her to respond she felt first the movement of air and then the steward's tongue glisten over the surface of her skin. Instinctively she tried to pull away and failed.

Lothar left Laura in a gasp. Zoltan's eyebrows too went wide, and his mouth was opened as if to protest; yet somehow he barely managed (or chose) to suppress himself when he was given his nod. As Sir Lothar continued with his round, Laura gradually came to repossess her own hand, the one Sir Lothar'd ...licked... and protectively buried it in her husband's warm side. Her weight, too, shifted over to lean on the arm that Zoltan was giving her, the one that was still ending in a half-formed fist.

Good Lord, that was disturbing, if not outright depraved. Nothing he was saying was helping assuage the mood, either. The Lord Giovanni's "interests"? Were they people or not? And which was potentially more disturbing?

It took the two of them more than a moment to mentally rebalance themselves. "We have a question," finally began Zoltan, apparently at Laura's behest. "When should I expect my wife to return from this gala?" The Hungarian was clearly not impressed with Sir Lothar's form of gallantry.

Intelligence + Alertness, you say? (6, 6, 6, 9, 10, 10, 10) rolling the 10s again: (1, 9, 5)

Total victory!

Calenestel
2011-05-23, 01:41 AM
Sir Lothar seems to be the kind of man that believe that his service to a great power like lord Giovanni makes him superior to anyone he believes inferior to his lord. You, as guests are given some respect from his lords invitation. That small respect is given to Zoltan too, but even more dilluted. With a dismissal glance to the man sir Lothar answers Zoltan even while he's turning away. "The coaches will set out on the morrow. The celebrations will begin in the eve and will continue for three days. Give it another day for the return here and that would make it five days, would it not?"

But as sir Lothar starts making his way back towards the door whatever you are about to say is interrupted by a loud voice. "Evil! EVIL INCARNATE!" the monk shouts, standing up and pointing an accusing finger at the servant of Claudius Giovanni.
When sir Lothar had entered the monk had quieted down completely, but also grown increasingly agitated. He had even slowly begun to shake by the contained feelings that now violently sought release.
"Lothar is but a toady and bootlick to the Devil Claudius Giovanni! (he spits) I warn you, good people! You're very SOULS are in danger! FLEEEEE this accursed place!!"

Savannah
2011-05-23, 04:05 PM
Catalina looks very uncomfortable with the monk's outburst, but is also looking at Sir Lothar rather suspiciously.

Kalirren
2011-05-24, 12:48 PM
Laura's heart sank in silence. Anyone who spoke of souls in such an imminent manner was a lunatic. She had so much respect for men and women of the cloth, but as her father would have said, even soldiers of God had to pick their battles. The poor Father was losing this one.

AvianMalkavian
2011-05-25, 03:24 PM
For a moment, it seemed as though all the blood in Devargo's veins had turned to ice. Something in Lothar's eyes.. in his smile.. Good Lord, did this man know he was a thief? He turned away from the group, doing his best to conceal his own fears now as he stared into the fire of the hearth. Very little seemed to shake Devargo's confidence, but this was something else.

He didn't even seem to notice the monk's outburst as his own mind whirled with paranoid thoughts. If Lothar and Lord Giovanni knew, why invite him? Why not simply have him done away with? What did they want?

DJDizzy
2011-05-25, 05:15 PM
"Pardon me Sir Lothar, but is that a custom from where you are from? I must admit, that I am still quite new to these parts, and I was wondering whether that is a custom from where you are from"

Calenestel
2011-05-27, 09:14 AM
With the disruption caused by the, if not mad than at least clearly not completely sane, monk Enzo's question goes unnoticed. Just as it gives Devargo his chance to shrink back from the steward of lord Giovanni. Sir Lothar whirls towards the monk and glaring at him, looking him straight in the eye he growls: "Get out," as if not only expecting obediance but forcing it.
But he is met with a complete refusal: "Your Hell-born wizardry cannot compel a man of God!" the monk cries and adds: "I expose your evil to all the world!"

After a moment, a blink of an eye, of surprise the steward snorts derisively and mutters: "I need no 'Hell-born wizardry', fool." And with that he motions his two armed guards into motion. They draw no weapons but shoulder their way towards the monk like they mean business.

Lady Tialait
2011-05-27, 02:42 PM
Kathrine stands up and marches over to Lothar, "You will release this man of God!"

DJDizzy
2011-05-27, 10:52 PM
Enzo rolls his eyes at the womans outburst. "Oh for the love of god, could you please just accept that Lothar clearly does not believe in your almighty god? Not everyone is a religious fanatic like yourself, and pardon me, but you really arent in a position to demand anything"

Lady Tialait
2011-05-27, 11:29 PM
Kathrine seems to turn from her olive complexion to a bright red, her green eyes flickering with rage as she pokes Enzo in the chest, "Begone from my sight, Satan! You shall not tempt me!" she quickly spit upon the man's shoes, before turning to Lothar, "Unless you release that Monk, the Almighty's wrath will be the LEAST of your problems! You deal with the dilettante of the merchant house della Passaglia!"

Calenestel
2011-05-28, 09:46 AM
Sir Lothar doesn't seem very impressed by Kathrine's display, or at all pleased. His temper rising he barks at her: "Don't be a fool, Kathrine della Pasaglia! Lord Giovanni is the master of these lands, not the Church! Clement has transgressed. A night tied up in a barn should calm him and only his position in the holy orders keeps him from the lash. Now be quiet or you might very well loose my lord's favour and invitation."

The threat of facing a dilettante of house Pasaglia doesn't seem to intimidate in the least. But then again, he is the representative of the Giovanni, even more dangerous than the Pasaglia if the dark rumours of Venice are to be believed.
With a glare towards the hesitating footmen gets them working again and despite the rather loud protests of the monk they set about to hogtie the man.

Savannah
2011-05-28, 02:04 PM
Catalina finally stands and approaches Sir Lothar. "Please, good sir, he is a man of God. Lord Giovanni rules these lands, yes, but every man answers to God.

"Let him stay here and I will tend to him."

Kalirren
2011-05-29, 12:32 PM
First the obsession, and now this spectacle? Laura disliked Lothar already; a rather impressive feat, she admitted, upon realizing that she'd have disliked him anyway, even without his disgusting venture of the tongue. And Laura rarely disliked anyone.

"Sir Lothar, you do your lord's hospitality no credit," Laura spoke, for she could bear the Brother's treatment no longer. "I would rather decline his invitation than watch his steward abuse a man of the cloth so. Especially one who clearly knows not what he does, bless his soul." Straddling a line between Zoltan and Sir Lothar was difficult, but Laura was doing her best to manage.

Zoltan's eyebrows are raised in surprise at his wife's outburst, but he holds his tongue.

Lady Tialait
2011-05-29, 01:59 PM
Kathrine stomps her foot, "This is absolutely absurd! God shall strike you down!" Kathrine then storms off to her room.

Daisuke1133
2011-05-29, 08:20 PM
OOC:
And because I haven't been posting nearly enough in this game... :smalltongue:

Seeing the Lady Kathrine leave the room, Wilhelm slumps back further into his chair. He pinches the bridge of his nose and lets out an exasperated sigh.

Thank all of the choirs in the Lord's kingdom. I will never understand the fanaticism of these zealots and their incessant need to force everyone to believe as they do.

Calenestel
2011-05-30, 02:12 AM
His patience finally wearing out Lothar gives Laura a bow that while perfectly executed and respectfully deep is still made into a mockery by the cold, unpleasant smile on his lips. "As you wish, Laura Francesca Bruna. My Lord Giovanni's invitation seem to have been erroneous." That cold smile is echoed in his tone, which makes the words just as mocking as the bow. "I am sure you have the means to journey back to where you came from."

After that he turns towards the others. "I trust there is no further objections to my Lord's justice?" he asks with a glance at Kathrine and Catalina while the two soldiers drag the now hogtied and gagged monk outside. Unless noone objects he quickly adds, just before Katherine reaches the stairs up to the private rooms above: "Good. The coaches will be ready early on the morrow. Right after a healthy breakfast."
Taking a goblet of wine offered by the girl working at the Red Lamb sir Lothar raises it in a toast to those of you left, very obviously not looking at Laura and her husband if they remain. "I drink to all of you: some of the finest specimens it has ever been my pleasure to find. To your robust good health." He quickly empties his glass and says: "Be ready for the coach tomorrow. Roderigo will transport you. If you need anything, inform him."

And with that the steward of Claudius Giovanni whirls around and leaves the company, where a soft murmur quickly picks up from the other guests.

Savannah
2011-05-30, 02:22 AM
Catalina's eyes narrow and jaw tightens as the monk is dragged away, but she says nothing.

DJDizzy
2011-05-30, 03:34 AM
"Now there's an odd fellow if I ever met one. Quite peculiar if I do say so myself" Enzo remarks when Sir Lothar has left the tavern

AvianMalkavian
2011-05-30, 10:04 AM
Devargo watches the whole scene unfold in silence, especially after witnessing Lothar's reaction to Laura's outburst. If this Lord Giovanni and his steward even suspect the truth about him, they might well do worse than rescind his invitation. And once Lothar and his men leave with the mad monk, Devargo heads for his room to sleep before the journey to Lord Giovanni's manor.

Kalirren
2011-05-30, 01:29 PM
"Now what did you do that for?" Zoltan asked. "Do what for?" Laura replied. "What you just did," Zoltan remised. "Laura, we've come four days for you to see the Don, and you're just going to toss this by the wayside? You owe -someone- an apology for that, I'm just not sure whom to..."

"Well, then why didn't you speak up?" Laura retorted sharply. "It's... it's..." "The invitation's not yours to decline? You seem to think it is, if you think I owe a apology to that rascal of a servant." Zoltan's reaction was one of surprised disgust. "But you don't. You think I owe you an apology..." With both hands she held her husband's arm. "I'm sorry, Zoltan, I really am, I knew you were looking forward to this..."

Sensing that Laura had captured the initiative, Zoltan tries to disengage. "Let's not argue in public...," he begins.

"You're my husband, Zoltan," responded Laura at once lovingly and with all seriousness. "You're the one man whom I will argue with in public. It is my privilege and pleasure." A smile seems to brook on her face but the evening's mood shatters it. She sits down at the table, letting her arm rest on its surface. "And if not, then admit it, admit it to this fine company which we enjoy right now." As if slowly shocked, her husband begins to retract his hand towards his breast. "Say I'm your maidservant and not your wife, for you do seem eager to wear me about your neck like a char-"

Zoltan's hand suddenly clamps down upon the table over his wife's wrist, leaving her no time to even gasp. The table makes a sound, but he has not touched her: Laura's fingers don't even flinch. The woman falls silent immediately, her gaze still vaguely directed towards Zoltan's face. (This is perhaps the first time that it becomes clear to whatever rest of the company is paying attention that Laura's eyesight must be very poor, to have neither followed nor anticipated the strike.) She continues nevertheless to quiver, and first a breathelss gasp, then a wince develops only slowly on her face.

"I don't know what can be done," begins Zoltan. Laura is still. "But we will try to remedy this situation," he continues. Laura nods. "It was rash of you to refuse the Don on account of his steward." Laura nods. "You agree, do you not?" A moment's hesitation from Laura, followed by a nod. "Believe me, I despise him too," While honestly admitted, that comment doesn't seem to have Zoltan's desired effect upon Laura. "This night has been exhausting, we should retire." "Yes, please,..."

"Roderigo? If I may ask you to convey our regret to the Don Giovanni? I'm sure that Laura would have enjoyed his excellent company. She misses the shadow of Venice." She nods, more honestly than before.

DJDizzy
2011-05-31, 04:40 AM
Enzo heads up to his room and retires for the night

Calenestel
2011-05-31, 12:00 PM
"It's rarely that I get to speak directly to his grace, milord," Roderigo says to Zoltan, bowing deep. His tone is doubtful and hesitating. "But... maybe I could take your wife along despite it all and she could try and explain to his grace directly? I will see what I can do."

With that, and another deep bow the head coachman begs his leave and goes to tend to the horses. And you retires to your beds.

- - - - - - -

The next day is spent in relative comfort at the Red Lamb. You see no trace of either the old beggar woman or Paul the Soldier. But brother Clement does a few more half hearted attempts at dissuading you from your trip. Whether from the night tied up in a stall in the stables or him thinking the whole thing futile there just isn't as much fire in him this day. If anything he looks surly and bleary eyed.
A few hours after noon Roderigo and another coachman pulls up with two large, ornately gilded coaches in front of the door to the inn. Their luxurious looks are marred somewhat by the heavy shutters covering the windows of the wagons but when the other coachman notices the glances of some of you he quickly explains that they are "for protection in case of a brigand attack" and quickly starts forcing them open.

As he helps you aboard, Laura as well as the rest of you, Roderigo promises you: "I will take great pains to make sure that the journey will be as comfortable as possible for you."
When you're all aboard, and the six of you have ended up in the same coach, Roderigo closes the doors and climbs the front coach. Soon enough you're on your way to the party.

Kalirren:
Yep, even you. I decided to play nicely here. :smallwink:

Everyone:
I realized an error in previous posts. For some reason I had gotten the idea that the coaches was to set out earlin in the morning. That is not the case. It should be early afternoon.
Please ignore any previous comments about the coaches leaving on the morrow.
Also, information given to Zoltan will thus have been that you all were to return in four days. :smallwink:

Savannah
2011-05-31, 10:25 PM
Catalina gives an apologetic glance to the monk as she enters the carriage. In the carriage, she occasionally glances at the others curiously, but mostly gazes out the windows or prays silently.

AvianMalkavian
2011-06-03, 05:36 PM
Devargo offers the nun a slight smile when she glances his way, though for the most part he minds his own business, seeming just a tad more nervous after last night, and especially after Lothar's last comments to him.

Lady Tialait
2011-06-03, 05:49 PM
Kathrine gives Catalina a bitter look and finds a seat in a carriage that does not include any of those she spoke to the night before.

Calenestel
2011-06-06, 01:33 AM
The coaches makes good speed but true to his word Roderigo does his best to make the trip as smooth as possible and you're not tossed around inside. Much. When you reach rough sections of the road the coaches slow down considerably only to gain speed as soon as they're clear. Outside the forest runs thick almost all the way, only thinning as the day grows late, it would also seem that the mansion of lord Giovanni is a little way up into the mountains.

Everyone may, if they want to, roll Perception+Alertness

Daisuke1133
2011-06-06, 01:42 AM
During the extent of the coach ride, Wilhelm was finally able to relax, if only just slightly. He was not as comfortable as he would be upon his horse, but this luxury was nice in its own way. His current surroundings reminded him vaguely of his ancestral home in the Estergebirge. This thought bolstered his spirits and brought a smile to his face. He decides that this man, Giovanni, has good tastes, and for the first time since he arrived he has begun to look forward to this event in his life.

Perception+Awareness: [roll0]

Savannah
2011-06-06, 02:18 AM
Catalina watches the scenery during the coach ride, unless someone speaks to her first.

Perception + Alertness [roll0]

Lady Tialait
2011-06-06, 11:50 PM
Kathrine looks out the window, she hated traveling.

[roll0][roll1][roll2]

The dice roller wasn't co operating, and I had to delete the post...till I got this roll. Sorry. The first one was 12 and the second one didn't take.

Kalirren
2011-06-07, 03:52 PM
Given how far outside town this Don Giovanni had chosen to set up his manse, Laura was beginning to think that Venice wasn't all that it was cracked up to be back home. She hums a pilgrimage song to pass the time traveling; she's pretty good at it, actually. In her heart she was beginning to dread the thought of meeting the Don on his turf after having incensed his servant the night before, but if Roderigo thought it was worth a shot, it probably was.

She was lying to herself there, she admitted. Lords could be fairly unyielding in their own domains. Even her own husband had been unyieldingly communicative the night before, and all the morn as well; perhaps he was right to worry after all. But Laura had made up her mind; she would do her family, nay, her families proud, both of them. And if the Don would not entertain her, she was more than content to humbly accept that and stay with humble folk like the good coachman. Humility was above no one.

Perception + Alertness: [roll0]
I assume this is a sight roll, or we add 3 more dice: [roll1]

DJDizzy
2011-06-07, 06:00 PM
Enzo looks quite bored as he watches the scenery roll past him.

[roll0]

AvianMalkavian
2011-06-08, 04:08 PM
Devargo, continuing to mind his own, glanced out the window, hoping the scenery would take his mind off his dour thoughts.

[roll0]

What he saw, however, made him immediately go pale. Perhaps visiting Lord Giovanni wasn't such a good idea after all?

Calenestel
2011-06-09, 04:11 PM
As the sun starts to slip completely behind the treeline the coaches finally pulls up in front of the mansion. It's a massive, craggy manor house with an overgrown garden to the right and a graveyard to the left. The house itself is well fortified, with only one single, sturdy gate, only narrow windows at the ground floor that are hardly more than arrow slits (and protected by inner shutters) and four lightly armed guards walk the parapets of the house. But there's a lot of torches around giving both light and a sense of welcoming and you can smell food on the air as from a great feast.

Outside the door two more guards await the carriages and as you stop they hurry up to the doors to help the guests down. Roderigo quickly touches down on the ground and leads the whole group of 13 guests in.

Savannah
2011-06-10, 05:16 PM
Catalina shudders slightly at the sight of the graveyard, but turns away to follow Roderigo up to the house.

Lady Tialait
2011-06-10, 06:18 PM
Kathrine gets out of the carriage and crosses herself at the sight of the graveyard, seeing the shuttering of Cathrine she glares at her, still mad from earlier. Kathrine then turns to Rodgerigo, "Exactly why is there crucified men out in the forest?"

Calenestel
2011-06-11, 01:37 AM
Roderigo doesn't look at Katherine as he answers, seemingly troubled by the question and answer both: "Lord Claudius is a stern master, milady."
And with that he moves to continue on in silence.

Kalirren
2011-06-12, 10:38 PM
"There were no..." Laura starts to protest under her breath. Laura was glad that Katherine had spared their company an earful during the long trip, and was eager to not have her zealous tirades start back up again as soon as her feet hit the ground. At Roderigo's response, however, a horrified complexion develops on Laura's golden face. "Oh, my Lord..." She can't have meant it -literally-?

Laura wanted to stop time for a second and scream. Mostly out of confusion, not yet out of horror. Not having that power, she was proper. She instead stood silent for a brief instant. Laura looked up, and west, longingly at the last rays of the setting sun. Of course her husband had insisted that she go if Roderigo would take her, but she herself had come to be free of her angry husband, and not much more. With each footstep towards that dreadful fortress of a mansion, she was beginning to think that sleeping in the stable with Roderigo's horses might end up being the best possible outcome, and not the worst, of whatever the following three days were to be.

Lady Tialait
2011-06-12, 11:35 PM
Kathrine huffs, "One would think he would take down the bodies after they died. Wild beasts are attracted to rotting meat. This Claudius is showing his fool ego."

Daisuke1133
2011-06-12, 11:42 PM
"That is not all he is showing." Wilhelm says, quite clearly disturbed by both the fate of these men and the mockery that whomever was responsible was making of Christ's death.

"I pray this Lord Claudius sees no reason to do the same to any one of us." He continues, the paleness never leaving his face.

Savannah
2011-06-21, 08:49 PM
Catalina gasps slightly at the mention of the dead men, and she murmurs a quiet prayer for their souls as she follows Roderigo.