PDA

View Full Version : In need of a Fey background character

Frozen_Feet
2011-05-08, 05:11 PM
Long story short, I need a Good-aligned Fey lover for my character's background to justify Nymph's Kiss feat. However, my knowledge of D&D Fey creatures is pretty limited, plus I'm drawing blank on personality and such for the character.

So... yeah. Bombard me with ideas. I need them.

ffone
2011-05-08, 05:22 PM
Feytouched (google it + 'savage species') is on the wizards.com site, a nice LA 0 fey which is like a charisma elf (+2 Dex, Cha, -2 Con) and mechanically useful for anyone who wants a Dex or Cha bonus and doesn't need-need-need the human bonus feat.

Of course, if it's just an offstage NPC so having a big ECL or no listed LA doesn't matter....

Nymph (note they can turn off the blinding beauty)
Sirine (MM2) for a seaside connotation
Dryad, though I dislike them as 'involved' NPCs b/c of the tree dependency and severe geographic limitation, and cuz they look more like plants than beautiful humans
Glaistig...kinda evil, IIRC it drains you, almost like a river succubus
Satyr - no reason they can't be both genders
Pixie if Small is okay. It's Tinkerbell, sized like Frodo. The go-to fey lover for any halfling or gnome PCs.
Frostwind Virago for a wintry flavor (lures mortals to die in snowdrifts). Yukionna for an Eastern, wintry flavor (does tne same thing, looks like a geisha).
Kelpie - looks like a horse, drags people into rivers to drown. IIRC they might be able to shift into a humanoid-looking form. DMing I once used one as an incubus-like temptor male NPC who preyed on maidens who were fond of horses (not necessarily in an X-rated way). Actually there was a glaistig/kelpie team who would pretend to be a human maiden on a horse.

Frozen_Feet
2011-05-08, 07:48 PM
The Feytouched seems mutable enough for my needs. Thanks. And now I can have their kids be Feykissed. :smallbiggrin:

nedz
2011-05-08, 08:01 PM
This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) is the link to Fey-Touched, though its also in Fiend Folio.
Check out Half-Fey also (same article, same book). This is a template racial class so you can have some creative fun here.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-08, 08:03 PM
Killoren in Races of the Wild are a +0 LA race suitable for PCs, though I'm not sure how compatible they are with other races.

Personally I'd go with a Sirine from MM2, they have a reputation for this sort of thing.

Frozen_Feet
2011-05-09, 10:30 AM
Okay, I'm now thinking of a build for the character in case I can acquire him as a cohort. He'll be starting from level 4, if that happens. I'm thinking of a wildshape ranger - what would be good animal forms to memorize? What stats should I focus on?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-05-09, 11:14 AM
Wisdom if you're going to wear a Monk's Belt, which is highly recommended. Con is otherwise your only really important stat. Int is decent for skill points, Str should be 13+ if you want Power Attack.

Fleshraker dinosaur (MM3) is typically the best medium size animal form, but exalted characters can't use poison so that's off the table. (As the cohort of an exalted character, he doesn't necessarily have to be exalted so this could still be useful.) The Deinonychus from the Monster Manual (post-errata) is also decent. If you can get an excuse to use Desmodu Hunting Bat (MM2) it's one of the better flying forms. There's an extensive wild shaping guide found here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868802/Druid_Handbook_revived).

You should probably plan on going Wild Shape Ranger 5/ (Nature's Warrior 1)/ Master of Many Forms 7/ Warshaper 4/ MoMF 3. Take Power Attack, Alertness, Combat Reflexes, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape, Robilar's Gambit, and Defensive Sweep. Get a bunch of 1st level Pearls of Power (put them in a pocket of a garment that has a wilding clasp, such as a monk's belt) to cast Rhino's Rush more often. Take that Nature's Warrior level early if you get trouble with DR/Magic, otherwise put it after Warshaper.