PDA

View Full Version : Girard's Group Speculation

Acero
2011-05-08, 05:16 PM
The Order has been looking for Girard's supposed counterpart to The Saphire Guard. However, there is nothing known about who would make up such a group. How does one join?

The SG had a "Paladins in Azure City" thing going, but Girard is a multiclass (Ranger+ something for illusiond) who does not work for a Lord. What would be the requirements, and who does G have to choose from on the WC? The guards have to be powerful and loyal. Its the Western Conitent, so loyal is kinda tricky, but they do have to be powerful.

What are the chances of members being gladiators or former Champs, hardened by combat and broken out. Could the group (if existed) obtain Roy/Belkar or Thog via fellow gladiators or maybe the trainers? It could make an interesting conflict, with Roy and Belkar working in the group while Elan, Haley, D, and V are still in the EoB dealing with Nale.

Do I make any sense or am I just insane?

Morquard
2011-05-08, 06:01 PM
I think the chances of them being champions in the arena is pretty slim.
Sure he could break out one of them maybe, but if he constantly frees the champion someone is going to notice.
Also I don't think "brutally murders everyone that is unlucky enough to get tossed in the arena with him, no matter if they're innocent or not" is one of the criteria Girard applies.

How does one join? You don't, you get recruited. That's what I think.

Lord Bingo
2011-05-08, 06:02 PM
If those are the only two options I would have to go with "insane"...:smallwink:

But seriously, if any such group exist one must assume that any individual who lives up to its arbitrary moral codex and subscribe to their goals would be eligible to seek membership thereof, as was the case with the Sapphire Guard, but I doubt that any group apart from the thieves guild would draw its members from a pool of thieves and murderers.

IMO, however, there is little reason to expect that Girard has set up at similar organization -he strikes me more as the kind of guy who would set up a maze of deadly illusions and rely on agents without agendas such as non-sentient creatures. As paranoid as he is, he might have a few allies in his confidence but not an organization comparable to the Sapphire Guard.

-edit-
And still..., I am getting a sense that the whole "spice" thing and the huge worm on the back of which OOTS crossed the desert is only the beginning to a larger allusion to Frank Herbert's Dune, which means that there is supposedly a whole people of desert dwellers living under the sand, in which case it is only natural that Girard would be in league with them.

Gift Jeraff
2011-05-08, 06:43 PM
Maybe he's a man of the people and uses Commoners to defend his Gate, buying them from those slavers...Nah, that's stupid.

TimelordSimone
2011-05-08, 07:09 PM
How does one join? You don't, you get recruited. That's what I think.

I agree with this. I can't imagine Girard exactly advertising.

Edit: I also agree that it probably won't be like the Sapphire Guard. I imagine it more as a handful of people, rather than an organisation.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-05-08, 07:18 PM
I see mostly mindless creatures, as they wouldn't be affected by illusions. Beyond that, I have no idea.