PDA

View Full Version : I just realized something about V's fall from grace.

Morgan Wick
2011-05-08, 11:36 PM
Anyone remember this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0563.html), where, after going to great lengths to acquire some birds, sends them off to relay a message to Haley and Belkar? At the time, forumites commented that it was actually a pretty good plan, had Haley not shot them down before they could deliver their message and Belkar cooked them for food.

You know who probably wouldn't have shared that fate, and was something that V already had? Blackwing.

There is the complication that, at the time, it was thought Blackwing had no desire to speak Common whatsoever, but it does suggest that V's unwillingness to use the resources at his disposal other than magic held him back from finding Haley, well before the IFCC threw it in his face. I think this is a sign that Blackwing is a symbol of V's character development, and his growing willingness to rely on others. I suspect that before being lectured by Xykon, Blackwing would have never occured to V as a way to get the phylactery to the rift, and certainly not as instantaneously as it did. Thus, that he does come to V instantly is one of the first signs that he's taken the lessons of the throne room to heart.

Swordpriest
2011-05-09, 01:32 AM
Possibly, but in the first place, V had no way to know that the birds would be killed and eaten by the message recipients, and in the second place, they were specially designed to find Haley and deliver the message. I'm not sure if Blackwing has quite that degree of GPS accuracy.

Phishfood
2011-05-09, 02:05 AM
I find it ironic that if V had used say... a piece of paper ... rather than magic, even after shooting the birds they would have seen the message. ;)

Morquard
2011-05-09, 02:42 AM
I'm not sure how far away from it's master a familiar can be.
2nd, there are alot more dangers in the world than Haley's bow. Bigger birds for example. Loosing a couple of trained bird sucks, loosing your familiar... whole different story.

Also as was said, he probably couldn't have homed in on Haley.

Virtu
2011-05-09, 03:10 AM
It IS a valid thesis.

Blackwing also seems to represent V's new ability to check his ego. He is a reminder of what he can accomplish by relying on another, and serves the purpose of blunt criticism regarding V's words and actions. I think the fact that Blackwing is more consistently present shows that V has become a lot more introspective, as well as conscious of the people around him.

EDIT- Unfortunately, as has been suggested, I don't believe Blackwing would have been able to travel that far from V or home in on Haley.

Kurald Galain
2011-05-09, 04:58 AM
Also as was said, he probably couldn't have homed in on Haley.
This. Blackwing wouldn't know where to find Haley, because neither did Vaarsuvius.

Greater Animal Messenger is a rather clever attempt to find a loophole in the effects of the Cloister spell: it blocks divination spells, but Animal Messenger is an enchantment spell.

Ancalagon
2011-05-09, 05:02 AM
Thus, that he does come to V instantly is one of the first signs that he's taken the lessons of the throne room to heart.

Yes. Of course. It was the entire point of the arc that Vaarsuvius finally becomes effective when he thinks how to effectively apply the ressources he does have to a problem and that working in a Team (himself, O-Chul, Blackwing) is very effective instead of "just blasting away with whatever magic I have".

You are a bit late but in the end you totally got what all that was about; you also did it on your own, which is a lot more than many other people probably can claim. ;)

---

Note that Xykon did not only have superior magic in the fight but that he ALSO worked in a team and ALSO did apply non-magic ressources to his problem in effective ways - and therefore he flattened Vaarsuvius as much as he did.
That's the lecture Vaarsuvius got from his private adventure.

Caractacus
2011-05-09, 05:39 AM
Loosing a couple of trained bird sucks, loosing your familiar... whole different story.

That said, you'd have to loose the birds, or they wouldn't be able to fly anywhere... :smalltongue:

BlackestOfMages
2011-05-09, 11:14 AM
and, don't forget that V probably didn't even remeber he had a familiar at that time, since it's not reallly something he recalled

Zevox
2011-05-09, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure how far away from it's master a familiar can be.
There is no restriction on that in the rules.

As for the topic, why wouldn't Blackwing have suffered the same fate? Familiars don't get a ton more defenses than the average animal of their kind. A small natural AC boost that likely won't help against someone Haley's level, improved evasion and spell resistance that are useless against bows, and half their master's hp are all. The hp might have helped, but probably not, as what few indications we've seen about V's hp indicate that it isn't very good, and Haley can fire multiple shots per round anyway, so she can certainly still take him out fast even if he can survive one shot.

If you're counting on Haley recognizing him, I wouldn't bet on it. I sincerely doubt she shot those birds at point-blank range (else one would probably have started delivering its message), and at anything beyond that how is she going to tell Blackwing apart from any other Raven?

Zevox

Amarsir
2011-05-09, 12:31 PM
I find it ironic that if V had used say... a piece of paper ... rather than magic, even after shooting the birds they would have seen the message. ;)

Now that's a very good point. You'll notice Team Peregrine (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0705.html) didn't over-rely on Magic, they just used a green string. V's message would have been more complicated than that, but paper would certainly have worked.

Jay R
2011-05-09, 12:46 PM

Very nice point. This leads directly into V needing to believe that magic is a greater force than any other.

Morgan Wick
2011-05-09, 08:52 PM
Possibly, but in the first place, V had no way to know that the birds would be killed and eaten by the message recipients, and in the second place, they were specially designed to find Haley and deliver the message. I'm not sure if Blackwing has quite that degree of GPS accuracy.

I'm not sure that whatever rejiggling V did to get those animals to find Haley couldn't also be done to Blackwing, but I'm not familiar with the requisite rules.

Phishfood
2011-05-10, 03:57 PM
Now that's a very good point. You'll notice Team Peregrine (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0705.html) didn't over-rely on Magic, they just used a green string. V's message would have been more complicated than that, but paper would certainly have worked.

Ah, theres the problem. See, I'm picturing the message "WTF R U?" and for a moment I forgot I was talking about V (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0010.html). They probably didn't have enough paper to spare. Or Ink (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0306.html).