PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Questions (Oracle, Craft Construct)

CTrees
2011-05-09, 09:43 AM
1a) An Oracle with the Haunted curse adds Levitate and Minor Image to his list of spells known at level five, Telekinesis at level ten, and Reverse Gravity at level fifteen. These are not normally Cleric/Oracle spells - what level would they be for an Oracle? It's not listed, and while one would assume "the same as the Wizard/Sorceror version," Druids get a divine version of Reverse Gravity as an eighth level spells, making it not quite a trivial question. Admittedly, a fifteenth level Oracle can cast seventh level spells, but not eighth, which again would seem to make this easy, but that brings me to:

1b) Gnomes, with Oracle as a favored class, can take the alternate bonus of treating their level as +1/2 higher for the purposes of determining the effects of their curse ability. A gnome Oracle with the Haunted curse could, then, qualify for having Telekinesis added to his spells known when he hit level seven, and Reverse Gravity at level ten, if he invested all of his favored class bonuses in upping his effective level. At those points, he is limited to third or fifth level spells, respectively. The level spell which Telekinesis/Reverse Gravity are treated as suddenly becomes even more important - could the poor gnome really end up with bonus spells he can't cast?

2) In the bestiary, there is a note in the entry for Animated Objects, indicating that permanent animated objects can be created using the Craft Construct feat. Unlike the golems, which all have notes giving the CL, spells needed, craft DC, material cost, and so forth required to use Craft Construct to make one, the same information doesn't appear to be anywhere I can find for animated objects (not the monster entry, the spell description, the section on creating magic items... nothing I can find). Is there guidance anywhere on this? 3.5, perhaps? Or am I just being blind? I asked this before, yes, but got nothing, so if I'm making a thread on PF questions from what I saw while looking at Oracles... figured why the heck not?

grarrrg
2011-05-09, 10:42 AM
1a) An Oracle with the Haunted curse adds .... Reverse Gravity at level fifteen. These are not normally Cleric/Oracle spells ....

I have no official source on this, but Sor/Wiz seems the most appropriate. If you look at all the spells granted by Haunted, Sor/Wiz is the only common factor.

1b) Gnomes, .... bonus of treating their level as +1/2 higher for the purposes of determining the effects of their curse ability. ....could the poor gnome really end up with bonus spells he can't cast?

Yes.
You either have knowledge of the spell, but no slot to cast it from. Or, you don't actually learn the spell until you have a slot to cast it from (lvl 10, or 14 in this case).
It's a minor distinction, but I'm sure something, somewhere cares about weather you 'know' the spell or not.

CTrees
2011-05-09, 10:58 AM
Yes.
You either have knowledge of the spell, but no slot to cast it from. Or, you don't actually learn the spell until you have a slot to cast it from (lvl 10, or 14 in this case).
It's a minor distinction, but I'm sure something, somewhere cares about weather you 'know' the spell or not.

That just feels... ugh. You know? "Here, have a bonus! That you can't use!" It *is* what seems most likely, but I just don't like the "feel" of it. Poor gnomes, can't catch a break.

It *does* seem like an odd oversight that those bonus spells weren't explicitly given spell levels for Oracles, but yeah, anyway.

Jeraa
2011-05-09, 11:06 AM
The Animated Objects thing was discussed over on the Pathfinder forums. Basically, the section dealing with the prices was cut from the book for space reasons, but they forgot to remove the mention that it can be done. They knew there would not be space for them, so the rules never actually got written.

James Jacobs, on of the designers, had this to say about it:

The quick and easy solution for folks who want to use Craft Construct to create a persistant animated object that doesn't simply use the spell + permanency...

The permanency route costs 15,000 gp. Although the Craft Construct route results in a better creature, since you can't dispel magic a construct made with Craft Construct (and you can dispel permanent spells), you DO still need a pretty tough-to-qualify for to even DO this (whereas you can achieve the permanency solution with just a few spells or even scrolls).

As a quick-and-dirty solution, I would suggest that it costs 2,000 gp per CR of the animated object to craft it.

CTrees
2011-05-09, 12:14 PM
Excellent, thanks.

And yeah, the Craft Construct route does create an objectively better creature. For a magic-item-crafting focused character... "you DO still need a pretty tough-to-qualify for to even DO this" is really just three feats of pretty broad use, caster level five, some means of bumping up your craft check (this is hard?) and some raw materials.