PDA

View Full Version : Climactic Encounter

Herabec
2011-05-09, 12:32 PM
So.. My group is currently hunting down a vampire in the Ravenloft campaign setting and they're highly underestimating the strength of this vampire. He also knows they're coming because one of the party betrayed the rest, so he's had plenty of time to prepare.

When they finally reach his manor and slip past his guards, he'll be waiting for them in a large greeting hall with two balconies on either side. Each balcony will have three CR 5 archers on them to rain ranged attacks on him.

He'll also have two CR 8 Bladerager Trolls (MM5) and a CR 11 Wererat Rogue at his beck and call.

The group is composed of: A 9th level human Fighter. (Only person who *hasn't* died in the whole campaign)

A 9th level human Warlock. He deals immense damage to monsters without SR.

A 7th level human Cleric, 2nd level Bone Knight. To be honest, he sometimes forgets to heal the party, but otherwise, is an extremely powerful fighter.

And a 9th level elf Wizard. She's my main concern, seeing as this is her first time playing a Wizard, though she's focused much more on buffing/crowd control than actual damage dealing.

This battle will be without the vampire's intervention, as he's not about to risk himself in a battle when he's got so many guards that can fight for him...but too much? Too little? He's had nearly a month to plan his defenses, so I figure it shouldn't be a walk in the park or anything...

Opinions?

Diarmuid
2011-05-09, 01:36 PM
Does the Vampire know the party's makeup and strengths/weaknesses? Will the enemies be getting any surprise rounds?

It seems like if the NPC's are played intelligently, then this could lead to a bloodbath. Heck the 6 archers alone can probably take the wizard out if they get to act before she can.

It greatly depends on the level of optimization the group runs with and whether they're going to be caught completely off-guard, and whether this will be something they come at at full power, or if they've already had some fights.

holywhippet
2011-05-09, 06:58 PM
Honestly, although that fight could be tough for the players, it sounds a bit weak fluffwise. I'd have expected for a vampire to have more low level minions - either vampire spawn or basic undead like skeletons and zombies.

If the vampire really wanted to massacre them though, he'd have a team of wights with invisibility cast on them waiting in the wings.

Tell us more about the vampire, does he/she have class levels? Specifically caster levels.