PDA

View Full Version : Synads, swift actions, and a belt of battle

Hirax
2011-05-09, 04:12 PM
Complete Psionic LA+0 race, page 140, multitask ability.
Burn 1 PP to get a second swift action for your turn that must be mental.
Activate belt of battle (MIC, 73) for a full round action, explicitly labeled to be a mental swift action.
Use swift action to activate any ability that lasts "for the rest of your turn." Let's use the bloodstorm blade's thunderous throw (ToB, 101) as an example. Can I make 2 full attacks with thunderous throw/lightning ricochet now?

edit: if it's of interest to anyone, there's a feat (CP, 58) that let's you use multitask a second time in a day.

arguskos
2011-05-09, 04:15 PM
So it goes like this:
Swift: Activate Thunderous Throw.
Full-round: Full attack.
Free(?): Use Multitask.
Swift 2: Use Belt of Battle.
Full-round 2: Full Attack 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Seems to work. Don't know why it wouldn't. Only question I end up with is "what action is Multitask?" It doesn't list one, which would ordinarily default to standard (unlisted actions default to standard, don't recall the source though), but that defeats the entire point of the ability. I figure it's a free action.

faceroll
2011-05-09, 04:43 PM
Why do you need multitask for this particular set up, anyway?

Hirax
2011-05-09, 04:49 PM
What do you mean? There's no other way to gain swift actions except by being a ruby knight vindicator, at ECL 12 minimum.

Aemoh87
2011-05-09, 06:49 PM
I like this thread. I like it a lot. I like it so much that I think I want to build a character who uses celerity with this as well and is built around being incredibly fast (not using a trick to move great distances, but everything is build around speed).

Maybe a psion/arcane that uses haste, celerity, time themed, and movement enhancing spells.

Sounds like a boss :) Mwhahahahahahhaha.

Anyone know how to recharge or gain extra charges on the belt?

Clerics can use Improved Domain Magic.

Tokiko Mima
2011-05-09, 07:15 PM

Probably the easiest way would be to buy multiples, wear them all at once (knowing only one can be active in that body slot.) Then have them pop off as they are used, since dropping an item is a free action. I'd have the buckles turn glowing orange hot and smoke as they get used and tossed to the ground, but that's more of a cinematic effect.

Hirax
2011-05-09, 07:20 PM
I like this thread. I like it a lot. I like it so much that I think I want to build a character who uses celerity with this as well and is built around being incredibly fast (not using a trick to move great distances, but everything is build around speed).

Maybe a psion/arcane that uses haste, celerity, time themed, and movement enhancing spells.

Sounds like a boss :) Mwhahahahahahhaha.

Clerics can use Improved Domain Magic.

Doing this with a psion? You won't need more than 2 full round actions to do a nova and obliterate everything within sight. Any charger could also do this with pounce to ruin your day, too.

edit: would be celerity users should note there's a feat on page 58 of Complete Psionic that allows you to use this ability a second time in a day.

Aemoh87
2011-05-09, 07:40 PM
Doing this with a psion? You won't need more than 2 full round actions to do a nova and obliterate everything within sight. Any charger could also do this with pounce to ruin your day, too.

edit: would be celerity users should note there's a feat on page 58 of Complete Psionic that allows you to use this ability a second time in a day.

I decided no psion.... you don't need it to use the racial abilities. So just your regular arcane gish, prolly sorc though for extra spells.

Hirax
2011-05-09, 07:48 PM
Good call, more versatility. So, no spells expended, after using a swift action to activate the belt, Synad gets you an immediate/swift action, a swift action, and 2 full round actions on your turn. WIth no pre reqs, you can take the feat for one more use at first level, then as early as you can afford a belt of battle, you > action economy.

Siosilvar
2011-05-09, 07:52 PM
Good call, more versatility. So, no spells expended, after using a swift action to activate the belt, Synad gets you an immediate/swift action, a swift action, and 2 full round actions on your turn. WIth no pre reqs, you can take the feat for one more use at first level, then as early as you can afford a belt of battle, you > action economy.

Assuming you have a PP pool in the first place, Psionic Talent (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicTalent) will give you 2 more PP to use.

Why take a feat for one use when you can take a feat for two?

Hirax
2011-05-09, 07:56 PM
No reason to. Synads start with 3 PP. Since you can only use the ability twice in a day, and it costs 1 PP, you actually have a spare PP which you can keep to become psionically focused if you wish. The feat that grants an extra use of multitask is worded in such a way that I don't believe you could take it again for a third extra swift action in a day.

Siosilvar
2011-05-09, 08:03 PM
No reason to. Synads start with 3 PP. Since you can only use the ability twice in a day, and it costs 1 PP, you actually have a spare PP which you can keep to become psionically focused if you wish. The feat that grants an extra use of multitask is worded in such a way that I don't believe you could take it again for a third extra swift action in a day.

Oh, I see. 1 PP cost and twice/day limit. Gotcha.

Thurbane
2011-05-09, 09:20 PM
Would Multitask work to activate the Factotum's "extra standard action" ability?

Hirax
2011-05-09, 09:33 PM
I've never done more than dip into Factotums, but there's no mention of cunning surge costing any action to use. So this could be used to tack on a standard action at no cost. Other than the inspiration points, of course. A tenth level factotum can cast level 4 spells. So at tenth level you could:
Use multitask twice
Use a belt of battle
Use 3 inspiration points
You now have 1 immediate/swift action, 1 standard action, 2 full round actions, and 1 swift action that must be used on a mental action, such as activating a magic item (see multitask ability description)
Use that immediate action to cast celerity. This is important to do last, because you must use the action associated with celerity right after casting it, and after you take that action you're dazed.

End result of turn: you get 2 standard actions, 2 full round actions, and 1 swift action that must be used on a mental action.

Any gestalt casters out there think you could make use of this?

edit: alternatively save the second use of multitask for another encounter, you probably won't need it on a turn where you can already cast 4 spells without it.

faceroll
2011-05-10, 02:34 AM
What do you mean? There's no other way to gain swift actions except by being a ruby knight vindicator, at ECL 12 minimum.

You only need 1 swift action, and that's to activate your belt of battle. Full attack actions don't use swift actions. There's no need to be a Mynad for what you want to do (two full attacks) except that it gets you an additional swift action.

Hirax
2011-05-10, 03:34 AM
You only need 1 swift action, and that's to activate your belt of battle. Full attack actions don't use swift actions. There's no need to be a Mynad for what you want to do (two full attacks) except that it gets you an additional swift action.

Ah, I wasn't clear. The example ability I posted, thunderous throw, requires a swift action to be used. So you need a swift action for the belt, and a swift action to use thunderous throw (in conjunction with lightning ricochet, a separate class ability), then you make 2 full attacks (charges if you have pounce) from as far away as you want, provided you accept the range penalties. This is just one possible use.

Wings of Peace
2011-05-10, 05:06 AM
Initiate a maneuver you like, use the extra swift action to manifest hustle, use the move action to gain psionic focus, expend psionic focus to refresh the maneuver you just used.