PDA

View Full Version : Veggie Garden

Bhu
2011-05-09, 04:35 PM
I now have 4 gold bell peppers, 3 purple bell peppers, 4 pimentos, 3 bulgarian carrot hot peppers, 4 habaneros, 1 rainbow chard, one basil, one buttercrunch lettuce, 2 tomatoes, 4 italian frying peppers, 3 strawberries, and assorted onions/garlic.

Anyone else eagerly awaiting harvest day ? :smallbiggrin:

MonkeyBusiness
2011-05-09, 04:51 PM
You like peppers ... I go for tomatoes! :smallbiggrin: So far I have: three "tumbling tiger" cherry tomatoes; one "mortgage lifter" tomato (fruits up to 1 pound :smalleek:); three "beefsteak" tomatoes; yellow pear tomatoes; chamomile, marjoram, dill, and patcholi; and basil crammed in everywhere I can find place between the other stuff.

I also have seeds for "sugar baby" pumpkins, "ice box" watermelons, and Russian Mammoth sunflowers. Looked everywhere for "valentine" sunflower seeds but cannot find them this year! :smallfrown: Those are my favorites.

Oh, and red zinnias. Because I can.

And I am waiting with great anticipation for harvest day, myself! :smalltongue:

-Monkey

Ezeze
2011-05-09, 04:54 PM
I'm so jealous! Any plant I touch dies :smallfrown:

Bhu
2011-05-09, 07:00 PM
In your defense the soil may be crappy. I have to pot my entire garden for that very reason.

I also have seeds for "sugar baby" pumpkins, "ice box" watermelons, and Russian Mammoth sunflowers. Looked everywhere for "valentine" sunflower seeds but cannot find them this year! :smallfrown: Those are my favorites.

-Monkey

Ive found valentine sunflower seeds online if you want links.

rayne_dragon
2011-05-09, 09:04 PM
I have a pumpkin. At least, only one so far, but I had a late start on planting.

My foxglove is doing well, but I don't intend to eat that. :smalltongue:

I'm wondering if it's not too late to get some herbs in.

Orzel
2011-05-09, 09:22 PM
I now have 4 gold bell peppers, 3 purple bell peppers, 4 pimentos, 3 bulgarian carrot hot peppers, 4 habaneros, 1 rainbow chard, one basil, one buttercrunch lettuce, 2 tomatoes, 4 italian frying peppers, 3 strawberries, and assorted onions/garlic.

Anyone else eagerly awaiting harvest day ? :smallbiggrin:

I love your taste in veggies.

My garden is a fruit one and is tended in another country by my grandmother.

Coconuts and bananas.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-05-10, 12:19 PM
Bhu, I'd love that valentine sunflower link! Thanks!

Orzel, Granny's garden sounds delightful! Where exactly is it? (I realize this is a wild guess and would be a strange coincidence, but I'm imagining The Dominican Republic because one of my friends is teaching there this summer ... and she is also from Brooklyn, now that I think about it ...)

Rayne, I remember the first time I saw foxgloves. They grow wild in Ireland, and when I was five, my mother took me to her hometown there to meet her parents. I was enchanted by all the new things I saw, one of which were these beautiful purple flowers taller than me! In Ireland they are also called "fairy thimbles" ... isn't that neat?

I just mailed my final paper to my professor, which is a strangely bereft feeling. So I think I'll go futz around in the garden for a bit.

.... no paper to write? :smallconfused: How can that be?

Orzel
2011-05-10, 12:55 PM
My father's side is from Grenada. A little more south.

Is she... Wait.. nevermind, a teacher willing to teach in Brooklyn is already too scary for me.

Oh I miss my coconuts. I harvested them at the right time for the juice. And if Grandma was younger and healthier and plane tickets weren't so expensive, I'd have the papaya and guava too...

*heads to depression thread*
No. I will be happy. For the coconuts.

Bhu
2011-05-10, 05:30 PM
http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/p-3053-sunflower-valentine.aspx

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67668644/valentine-sunflower-seeds

http://www.2bseeds.com/sunflowervalentine.shtml

http://www.seedsandmore-store.com/catalog.php/seedsandmore/pd11763

These are the ones you're looking for right? I imagine I can find more if none of these do mail delivery.

Mauve Shirt
2011-05-10, 05:31 PM
I don't have a vegetable garden, but I have Swiss Chard growing in a pot on the deck!

MonkeyBusiness
2011-05-10, 05:53 PM
Orzel: She never taught in Brooklyn, only in TDR. She grew up in Brooklyn. And she is, but if it doesn't work out I'll see what I can do for you, okay?

Mauve: Swiss chard looks pretty in a pot. You spending the summer in F-Burg? They still have the Farmer's Market off Williams? I miss that.

Bhu: I'll check those out tonight! Thanks!

:smallsmile: gardenpeeple! <3

Helanna
2011-05-10, 07:21 PM
This year is going to be my second year trying to grow a vegetable garden. I love gardening, but I'm not very good at it. I kill plants. A lot. :smallfrown:

Anyway, I'm getting a late start on my planting, but I haven't had much time to do anything until now. Hopefully that won't affect the plants too much.

Quick question, in case anyone has some tips: Last year, I had a couple of watermelon and cantaloupe plants. The fruits were growing well until they reached about the size of a fist, then they stopped. Upon investigation, the melons were rotted/eaten by bugs where they were lying on the ground. Does anyone know how to stop that from happening? Can I just put something underneath the fruit as it grows so bugs can't get to it as easily?

Mauve Shirt
2011-05-10, 07:47 PM
Mauve: Swiss chard looks pretty in a pot. You spending the summer in F-Burg? They still have the Farmer's Market off Williams? I miss that.

Nope, I'm back home now that I've graduated. They do still have the Farmer's Market! It's pretty great. We got excellent vegetables there. :smallbiggrin:

Orzel
2011-05-10, 08:02 PM
Oh Monkey, You're gonna make me break my self promise to not have favorite posters.

Oh and my pepper plant at work died. Well it might as well be dead. Stupid thing wouldn't grow! The aloe grows but nooooo not the pepper. :smallannoyed:

Next year I'm doing purple peppers.

Bhu
2011-05-10, 10:51 PM
This year is going to be my second year trying to grow a vegetable garden. I love gardening, but I'm not very good at it. I kill plants. A lot. :smallfrown:

Anyway, I'm getting a late start on my planting, but I haven't had much time to do anything until now. Hopefully that won't affect the plants too much.

Quick question, in case anyone has some tips: Last year, I had a couple of watermelon and cantaloupe plants. The fruits were growing well until they reached about the size of a fist, then they stopped. Upon investigation, the melons were rotted/eaten by bugs where they were lying on the ground. Does anyone know how to stop that from happening? Can I just put something underneath the fruit as it grows so bugs can't get to it as easily?

Do you have any idea what teh bugs were, or at least what they look like?

Anuan
2011-05-10, 10:53 PM
Red capsicum, purple capsicum, jalapenos, potatoes, sweet potatoes, radishes, silverbeet, asparagus, jap pumpkin, butternut pumpkin, a weird crossbred result of the former two, zucchini, a few varieties of lettuce, some form of tomato I don't remember the name of (we used to have ox heart and about forty bajillion cherry tomatoes) some more things I can't remember, and that's not counting the herbs, fruit trees, chickens ducks or peahens.

(Birds are vegetables now.)

MonkeyBusiness
2011-05-14, 05:15 PM
Not about veggies, but I had to share this gardening inspiration I had ...

I was buying herbs to plant and found patchouli of all things. It smelled great (just like the scented oil) so I bought two plants. They are nice "background" plants: dark glossy leaves, nice mounding shape. I pinched off the nondescript flowers to produce more of that wonderful, aromatic foliage.

And currently the patchouli is residing in a pot with some dianthus. (... the sort unfortunately named "cheddar pinks". Why do they call such a pretty plant such a stupid name?) The pink blossoms and silvery leaves of the dianthus look great in front of the patchouli; but the best part is the way the clovelike fragrance of the dianthus combines with the musky patchouli. It's just amazing!

So now I'm looking for a third plant to add to the mix. I'm thinking a rose would be great. An old fashioned myrrh-scented rose (like St Swithun) might be good, or maybe something with a "darker", headier scent. Any suggestions?

Bhu
2011-05-14, 11:25 PM
Crap. Mites are eating my pepper plants. Looks like it's time to break out the soap.