PDA

View Full Version : Elan Information

Luzahn
2011-05-09, 04:55 PM
To explain:

I am interested in playing a psion, and Elan looked to be a good choice for race.

I am looking for information regarding their appearance and behavior. Any explanation is appreciated. I am assuming, regarding the aberration tag, that they fall under the category of alien mindset.

holywhippet
2011-05-09, 05:05 PM
Appearance: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040402a

As for behaviour, Elan's are (or were) humans that have been "reborn" using psionic powers. In general they act like normal humans - but they are secretive about actually being Elan's and will try to blend in. They don't sleep though and just meditate for 4 hours each day. For the most part an Elan will appear to be a typical human, just maybe a bit strange.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-09, 05:06 PM
Relevant link is relevant. :smalltongue: (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm)

Luzahn
2011-05-09, 05:13 PM
Thanks. However, I've still got nothing on the personality. If anyone's played Dragon Age, I'm thinking of molding the personality after Sten, being cold and robotically logical.

FMArthur
2011-05-09, 05:17 PM
I would just take a human personality and take much of the expressiveness out of it. It depends on the person. Anything we have are just assumptions drawn from the EPH's description, since I don't know of any other sources that describe the race.

satorian
2011-05-09, 05:18 PM
So go ahead and do that. Nothing says Elans shouldn't be cold and calculating, and nothing that says they should. They are basically human who have transformed into immortal beings of the mind.

holywhippet
2011-05-09, 05:19 PM
Thanks. However, I've still got nothing on the personality. If anyone's played Dragon Age, I'm thinking of molding the personality after Sten, being cold and robotically logical.

Elan's try to act "human" so they have no specific personality. They do try to blend in as part of human society though. Sten would be a bad choice as he clearly isn't acting like a normal human - unless he comes from a community where they all act like that.

Cerlis
2011-05-09, 05:20 PM
keep in mind the psionic handbooks say that the look of the elan is just that way due to current style. Most Elans created"right now" have red hair pale skin and green eyes (or whatever) but if you had a smaller or different cabal they might have a different style, or if you where created by a few personal friends you might even be able to keep your original look.

I had an Elan who was made so by her mother so she still looks the same as she did before.

Luzahn
2011-05-09, 05:22 PM
Ah, so fluff-wise, it's more of a template than an actual race?

holywhippet
2011-05-09, 05:24 PM
Ah, so fluff-wise, it's more of a template than an actual race?

Pretty much. They get a -2 to charisma because they come off as being a little odd, but otherwise they try to blend in as a regular human.

KillianHawkeye
2011-05-09, 05:30 PM
Does this help?

Elans are nearly as adaptable, flexible, and ambitious as the humans from which they are made. Because their exceedingly long life spans sometimes lead the living to think the worst of them, elans practice a certain restraint, especially with regard to the subject of their origin. Otherwise, their personalities vary widely.

Basically, they are just regular humans whose bodies have been transformed into an immortal, un-aging form which is fuelded by psionic energy.

EDIT:

keep in mind the psionic handbooks say that the look of the elan is just that way due to current style. Most Elans created"right now" have red hair pale skin and green eyes (or whatever) but if you had a smaller or different cabal they might have a different style, or if you where created by a few personal friends you might even be able to keep your original look.

I had an Elan who was made so by her mother so she still looks the same as she did before.

Actually, I believe you always look like you did before. It's just that the people chosen tend to have a certain look depending on the changing preferences of the decision-makers.

Urpriest
2011-05-09, 08:15 PM
It probably would work best to give the Elan a Cylon-like attitude. Make it humanlike around others, but secretly anxious that it not be discovered, and angsty about its humanity or lack thereof.