PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Giants [IC]

Chambers
2011-05-09, 08:05 PM
Revenge of the Giants.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/36.jpg
Fresco on the wall of Torm's Cathedral in Fallcrest. Artist & Title unknown.

Early fall in Winterhaven. Just enough time for a trip through around the Cairngorm Peaks and through the Stonemarch Pass before the heavy snow starts falling, drifting down from the mountain tops. Even at the foothills of the Cairngorms you can see past those snow capped mountains to the towering juggernauts of Stonemarch that pierce the sky and form a near impassable wall to the north. The tallest mountains in this part of the world, the biggest anyone around here knows of anyway, they've never been scaled by mortal man, their peaks holding fast to their secrets. Somewhere in the middle of those ice covered mountains is the fort called Wolfstone, the small outpost cut off from the outside world, it's residents fighting both the cold and the giants in a daily battle for survival.

Down in the foothills of Winterhaven the sun is shining, a light breeze in the air as the last of summers heat fades away. Just the right kind of day for sleeping in the late afternoon and taking the rest of the day off, hiding in the cool of the shade from both the fading sun and honest labor. The people in this town are farmers by trade, merchants by necessity, and they all know that the arrival of fall means that the time for last harvest is coming soon. One last chance to store up vitals for the winter when the frigid wind blows down off the mountains. The winter doesn't care if you just wanted to enjoy one last day of summer; it'll freeze and starve you regardless. So the idle boys and girls are found and chastised, sent running back to work while a few adults gather around the well in the middle of town. Storm clouds are gathering past the peaks of Cairngorm, black and gray smudges that hide the tops of the Stonemarch mountains. A day, two at the most, and it'll come rolling down of the Cairngorm and slam into Winterhaven like an angry god.

But not today. Today the sun is out, the air nice and light, and a perfect afternoon is just about to ruined.

Here is a map of Winterhaven (http://community.wizards.com/hotheads/wiki/Winterhaven) and a short description of the town, buildings, and people. There's no secrets on there so go ahead and read it all. I assume that adventurers of your stature would have no trouble finding out how things work in a town this small.

Read up on it and go ahead and post with where you and and what you're doing in the town this afternoon.

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198474).

Starsign
2011-05-09, 08:56 PM
It was usually never about gossip among the townsfolk about their lives that Rohl had interest of hearing, and unfortunately for him, it seemed abundant in the town. He had known about the Cairngorm Peaks and the Stonemarch Pass, which is what had led him here. His search had been fruitless as usual, though that has not dared to bog down his relentless journey that he had undertaken. The shifter was unsurprised that he was given some strange looks for how he is, and he had little care for it.

At this afternoon he had the feeling he should be taking his leave to the Pass before. In his down luck sadly, he was not ready for leaving just yet, he had to prepare just a little more. In this time he was at Bairwin’s Grand Shoppe, for both to learn from his experience and of potions he could check. As he met Bairwin, he asked bluntly, "Have you heard of my species? What rares do you have of restoratives?"

Cardea
2011-05-09, 08:59 PM
Nitri looked up, sighing slightly, at the sight of the town. The newest lead was to Fallcrest, which told her to come to this place. This... Winterhaven. Exactly how one has anything nice in the middle of winter is a mystery, but Nitri stays quiet as she settles back into the seat of the wagon she rides in on. She slips her mask off her face; a disturbing thing, made out of porcelain, and decorated like a harlequin's laughter, and pulls out a small pipe from a pouch. She packs in her herbs, and sticks the point of a dagger into the small opening, electricity lighting the herbs. She breaths in heavily, as she steps out of the Wagon.

Heavy boots hit the ground as she steps off, and a head with tied-back hair looks around the area. She walks for a few minutes, getting a feel for the town, before seeing that they had... a Warrior's Guild. Her interest piqued, she finds the door, and heads inside.

Ifni
2011-05-09, 09:47 PM
Muirin had risen late that morning, enjoying the comfort of a soft bed and clean sheets after spending the last few nights on the road. She had arrived early enough the previous evening to join in the singing, and her songs and stories of the south had been well received by the villagers, earning her drinks and applause in equal measure. She had woken feeling refreshed and content, a feeling only enhanced by the Wrafton Inn's fine breakfast. With her long brown hair brushed and loosely braided and her clothes freshly cleaned, she had set out into the bright late-morning excited to be exploring a new place, whistling a sprightly tune.

A brief wander around town acquainted her with most of the major buildings. The tall tower intrigued her, as did Bairwin's Grand Shoppe, but she decided to visit them later, as she was intending to stay in town for several days - and despite the clear skies, she was developing an uneasy feeling.

She visited the temple and gave a few coins as an offering to Avandra. So far from the sea, there was no altar to her own patron, but a little extra luck never went astray. She enquired as to the whereabouts of Sister Linora, only to be told that the priest had left earlier and was probably visiting families outside the walls.

Her unease was growing. She was sure the storm was going to be powerful, more powerful than any of the farmers were expecting. A storm as mighty as the towering thunderheads that filled her dreams... a storm that would become a waking nightmare. And it didn't feel entirely natural. Was there another storm-caller out there?

She bought a meat pie in the main square, as she walked back toward the inn, but her thoughts were elsewhere. She stepped absently around other passersby, only subconsciously noting the tall warrior woman stepping down from the wagon. Could she stop it? She should try, surely. But... so powerful. How glorious would it become, if she didn't stop it? Did she even have a chance?

She should warn the people here, try to make sure they were safely sheltered. But what if they blamed her? It could be dangerous to be a stranger with uncanny foreknowledge. And to be fair, in another time and place, they might be right to be suspicious.

She absently avoided the other marketgoers, blue eyes fixed on the clear sky, mind dancing along the trails of wind and cloud and the chill that seemed to sweep down from the mountains like a shroud, visible to her senses alone.

Reaching a decision, her eyes refocused and she turned to head to the gate, but then her eye was caught again by the tower. The previous night at the inn she had heard a throwaway mention of its inhabitant, one Valthrun the Prescient. "Prescient" sounded promising, and if he wasn't at home or wasn't helpful, well, she could try to find that priest, or to spread a warning herself.

With a sharp decisive nod, she walked up to the tower door and knocked loudly.

Chambers
2011-05-09, 10:59 PM
Rohl

A half-elf man late in his years stands behind a counter stacked with bottles of herbs, small brown paper pouches and an assortment of empty vials and stoppers. He looks up as the tiny bell above the door rings and puts down his chopping knife, setting it and what looks to be diced rhubarb aside. "Welcome to the Grand, traveler." He says as he smiles, his eyes glancing over your gear for a moment before going back to your face. He raises an eyebrow. "I've done more than heard, seen 'em up close and personal. That was many years ago, course. Haven't seen one of your kind round here in a number of years." He says, trailing off a bit and tilting his head, almost as if he expects you to fill him in on why.

He grins and points across to a glass shelf on the wall, one of many that wrap around the large, cluttered shop. "I take it you're looking for a pick me up? I've got the most common variety of blood clotters and numbing agents in that case. Cost a little bit more than the market in Fallcrest...but I make 'em myself and it's a fair walk to Fallcrest."

He reaches down under the counter and pulls out a sleak teakwood box, the corners worn down and smooth. "If you're looking for more powerful reagents...I've got those too...but the price goes up, my friend, as these are even harder to make."

What are you looking to buy?

Nitri

A walking tour of Winterhaven takes less time than it does to finish a pipe and yours is still lit by the time you make it over the Guild. The doors are solid wood, heavy, and you notice metal reinforcements on the back side as you enter. Inside the heavy odor of oiled leather and old sweat washes over you and a skinny man sitting by a open closet turns his head and says "Hello." as you walk in. He puts down the boot he was polishing, the 6th one so far, as you can see the others lined up against the wall. Wearing simple leather and a sheathed short sword he wipes his hands on a rag and stands up to greet you.

The rest of the room is open and mostly empty, with doors at the far end leading elsewhere. Racks of simple weapons are stacked on both ends and there are a few workbenches with tools and bits of armor in various stages of repair. The young blond man, no more than 16, really, holds out one hand to shake. Realizing he's still holding the dirty rag he quickly stuffs it in his belt and blushes. "Afternoon. I'm Garvis...what..uh, what can I help you with?"

Muirin

The door to the Tower opens a moment after your first knock and the remaining knocks send echoes up inside the tower. The door creaks open slowly, letting a shaft of light into an otherwise entry way. The bottom floor is bare dirt, hard packed and with various dark spots in places. A flight of stone stairs is cut next to the wall, circling up around the tower, past the high ceiling. Aside from a few crates stacked to one side and a worn rug just inside the door the room is empty.

After a few moments your eyes adjust to the darkness and you can see a faint light coming from up the stairs a ways.

Ifni
2011-05-09, 11:28 PM
Muirin looks around curiously, and takes a moment to look behind the door to see if she can determine the opening mechanism. For a 300-year-old tower, it looks less majestic than she had expected.

With a shrug, she starts up the stairs. A brief smile brightens her face; strange premonitions of disaster or not, she does love exploring new places.

Chambers
2011-05-09, 11:53 PM
Muirin

The door is worn and old, though it appears to be solid. No obvious explanation for its opening is found and it appears to be too heavy for a light breeze to open it as it did.

The stairs wind up the tower, the light seen earlier coming from narrow windows set into the stone. By the third circling it feels like you've climbed nearly a hundred stairs and a look out the window shows you standing above most of the buildings in town. The circular stairs continue up another double dozen of steps and at the top is a small landing, an open entryway to a room beyond. Glass beads hang down from the top of the frame but do little to obscure the round, open room.

Bookshelves line the circular stone walls and the high ceiling opens up into a small loft above, though there are no visible means of reaching it. To one side of the room is a large bed with tangled covers, a low couch next to it. On the other side is a large desk piled with open books, one on top of the other. The one spot on the wall where there aren't bookshelves is a floor to ceiling window with a small balcony - and someone is standing in it. Dressed in light blue and grey robes the figure doesn't turn as you approach the landing. "I told you before, the storm wasn't your fault, or under your power. It's not your fault he died. Best to just move on." The voice is soft and light, but old, that of a grandmother trying to comfort her young ones.

abadguy
2011-05-09, 11:59 PM
After spending yet another night in the woods west of Winterhaven, Krrsshh once more heads toward the town. He mentally commands his outfit to shift to that of a monk's, he himself morphing into a leathery, frail looking human. Keeping all his magical equipment hidden away under his clothing or stuffed into his backpack, he takes up a spot once more just outside the city gates, begging with his worn begging bowl and 10ft pole beside him.

All his visions have told him that here would be the place where he could meet the Man of Ice and Shadow, so there he was, watching, seated and waiting...

bladescape
2011-05-10, 12:08 AM
The light of the sun was glaring, almost as if to lay bear the nerves of pain that stayed hidden bare. The pain that would still stay hidden. A village she had just entered. Winterhaven, that was the name. A non-descript town, another place to stay, to help, to try to find an escape.

She'd lost hope of that last option. An escape from her pain was no-where. The loss she had suffered would stay with her, until she finally rested in a grave. She had been tempted many times to end it herself, but she couldn't do that. That would be running away. At least she would have the courage to face her pain, and keep it buried.

"Warrior's guild?" A bit of swordpractice wouldn't hurt. And she could help this town be able to fight against anything that would try to overrun them too. A gain for both of them then. Suddenly making a decision, she headed that way. The door had been opened and closed recently, but she rapped on the door itself. She would only enter when given permission.

OOC:
Well, I'm aiming for her to enter just a little time after Nitri, and she's much more polite/courteous. Also, her memories will haunt her and flavour everything she does, just a fair warning.

roscoe
2011-05-10, 12:36 AM
Cara has been staying a few nights at the Wrafton's Inn enjoying the comforts of civilization after a long travel. Cara did note that last night was a very good night with some newcomers incredible voice and she even had a pint sent to the performer who enriched her evening.
This morning however she decided to see if she couldn't get all the gear she needed for besting the mountains that she plans to scale to get home.
Going to Bairwinds Grand Shoppe she enters and gives a smiling nod to the owner and takes a quick glance at the other man already in the store.
"forgive my interruption but you wouldn't have any wares helpful for mountain travel?"

Ifni
2011-05-10, 12:56 AM
Muirin stands, frozen, in the doorway. It doesn't make sense. She's never been here before in her life, surely never met the owner of this tower. And yet the words touch fears that lie buried deep in her heart. She takes a quick breath before she speaks, focusing on keeping her well-trained voice level and calm.

"I'm sorry, but while it seems you know of me, we have not met, or not within my memory. I heard one called the Prescient dwells here: are you she?"

bindin garoth
2011-05-10, 05:35 AM
As the young man walks up to the village, he takes a deep breath, enjoying his travels. He's always been attracted to these small villages, and even occasionally helping the people and temples as needed. 'What a beatiful day' Allen thought, right before his stomach growled. "And time for lunch, I might add," he thinks out loud before continuing into town.

Making sure to pull his sleeve down on his left arm and futhermore hiding his hand behind his long, black cape, he walks into town and heads straight for the inn, hoping to get a warm bite to eat. 'And then maybe some gloves.... It'd really help, as the last pair I had broke from that fight with the chain devil.... And I still can't track him with my left eye, then again I still have yet to master its powers,' he thinks as the memories of that battle come to his mind. As he does so, he blood starts to rush at the very thought of killing that devil, and his left arm starts to ache and throb as it calls for blood. 'Not yet. Later.' He mentally thinks, and the arm stops throbbing just as he realizes he has reached the door to the inn, and he slowly opens the door.

Binding checks:

Paimon:DC20[roll0]
Balam:DC25 [roll1]

Starsign
2011-05-10, 07:07 AM
Rohl took a moment to think, it was over a year since he started his search, so it was doubtful he might have met him... but it was worth asking. "Have you seen a female some year ago?" His attention then turned to the potions. "What's the price of your more powerful salves?"

Cardea
2011-05-10, 07:28 AM
Nitri looks at the kid, and, unbeknownst to her, has an expression of concern cross her face. "Hello, Garvis. And I'm not exactly sure." She says, eying the interior of the building. "What exactly happens out here that a town this small needs a Warrior's Guild for? It seems a bit much. Not to be rude, but what do folks here do with a place like this?"

Chambers
2011-05-10, 09:40 AM
Krrsshh

The day is a slow one, only a single caravan arriving in the late afternoon. One of the gate guards brought you a bowl of water and hard crackers for lunch and then tossed a copper farthing into your empty begging bowl. The caravan wasn't much help as the driver and teamsters were too weary from the trip to pay any attention to a figure sitting in the shade of the wall.

Late in the afternoon, soon after the coach and wagons has gone inside, you see a woman trudging up the road. Looks like she's come from a nearby farm. As she gets closer you see that she's a young woman, hale, hearty, and beautiful, dressed in simple work clothes carrying a heavy leather satchel (http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa239/poring500/HOI/Avandra.png) with three green stripes emblazoned on the flap. She stops near the gate and takes a wineskin from the satchel and closes her eyes in a brief silent prayer before taking a swig. She smiles and wipes her mouth, then offers the skin to you. "It's not the best Lord Padraig makes but its a touch slight better than water on a hot day like this."

She looks down at your nearly empty begging bowl and frowns. "Why don't you come inside, we'll get you a meal at the temple. Maybe find some work, too. You're not opposed to work, are you?"

Rohl & Cara

Bairwind nods at the newcomer and holds up a finger. "Just a moment lass." Turning to Rohl, he taps the cover of the box. "The fellas in here are some of my most potent restoratives. Six vials, each worth 30 plat each." He shrugs. "That's why this box is so old, see? Not many round here can afford such fine things. They're still good though. I test 'em every few tendays."

"I take it you mean a female of your kind?" He scratches his head, looks at the ceiling for a moment. "Nah, can't say that I have. Not round here anyway."

Turning to Cara his smile broadens and he says "Welcome to the Grand, miss. I do indeed carry a full stock of mountaineering and survival equipment. This is the finest store in seven leagues for putting together a trip through the Pass. I outfit each and every caravan that goes through there. Now...will you be needing a full kit just for yourself or are you planning for a group?"

Nitri & Miowa

Garvis frowns for a moment. "Well...the Regulars use it for their training, and once a week we get some of the townsfolk come in and we work with them." He hooks his thumbs into his belt. "Sometimes we get attacked, you know? The walls ain't just for show. No one around is close enough to come help us so we gotta defend ourselves. We - " He's interrupted by knocking on the door. He looks surprised and says "Doors open, come in." Shaking his head slightly he says "Busy day today."

Muirin

"Oh...this is before, isn't it? Sorry, it's hard to keep it straight sometimes." She says from the balcony and waves a hand towards the couch. "Come in then, if we have to have this chat now." She turns around and walks towards a sideboard next to the desk. "Sometimes it's easier if I pretend..." She trails off and puts cups and a teakettle on the tray. "Do you take cream or sugar with your tea?" She says as she places the tray on a low table before the couch. Her robe has a deep cowl that covers her face, hiding it in shadow.

Allen

The front porch of the Inn is occupied with a few old-timers taking their ease in rocking chairs, hiding from the late afternoon sun. One nods to you as you pass through the door and the smells of roasted ham and cabbage waft over you. Inside is a large common room with dozens of tables and chairs, a long bar against the back wall and two fireplaces set on each end of the room. There's a stairwell on your right and a few of the seats near the bar have some early birds in them. The place is otherwise empty save for the bartender behind the counter and a bored waitress wiping tables.

The man behind the counter raises his hand towards you and says "Sit where you like. What can I get you?"

Ifni
2011-05-10, 10:50 AM
Muirin seats herself on the couch. Her expression is outwardly calm, but anyone who can read body language would perceive her emotions are an odd mixture of foreboding and worry and delight. A prophecy of guilt and pain... but this is magic, strange and wondrous magic, and she feels she has stepped into a story. The wisewoman and seer, provider of cryptic advice, guide to a young adventurer alone in the world... no. Too fast along the story's path. Acknowledge her kindness, but do not expect more, not yet.

The frisson of fear that tingled along her spine with the woman's first words has faded, leaving behind a lingering sense of dread. A storm she will not be able to prevent. A death she will blame herself for. But that lies in the future, and here and now, perhaps, she can still do something. The chill she sensed before is growing thicker in the air.

"Sugar, please, no cream. Would I be right to infer you see outside the stream of time? Please don't apologize, there's no need - it doesn't make me ill at ease." Indeed, she feels more comfortable, more at home, in this book-lined tower room than she has for a long time. She smiles tentatively, warmly, at the woman. "Although that particular foresight... I fear what lies between now and then. Not unrelated, I fear what comes this night."

"You know my name already, I suppose, but let me say it anyway, to avert the potential woes of paradox: I am Muirin. I would love to chat, to trade stories and lore - your library is more extensive than any I've seen before in these lands." Her gesture takes in the room. "I'd love to learn whatever you wish to share, and share what I can in turn. But first, I need to ask your advice and aid - I'm a stranger here with little influence, but I've known many storms, and the one rolling down upon this town is shaping up to be the worst."

"The townsfolk think this storm is just a season's flurry of wind and rain, but I sense in it unnatural power. It will be here just after nightfall, so we should hurry, to do whatever can be done before it strikes. Do you know - could I stop it? Could you, or any others in this town? Or should we just be working to tie loose objects down and gather as many folk as possible into shelter underground, before sunset comes around?"

Muirin takes her teacup in both hands and drinks a swallow of the hot tea, regarding the cowled woman expectantly over the rim of her cup.

Starsign
2011-05-10, 11:31 AM
Rohl kept a standard blunt look on his face despite the unfortunate lack of info, once again. "Two," he said, referring to the vials of the shopkeeper's most potent restoratives. The shifter placed down 600 gold, equaling to the 60 platinum that the two restoratives cost together. He would have been off, but the woman's asking of mountain travel wares had him stay for a bit to listen in on the conversation.

I'll pay 600 gold for the two vials.

roscoe
2011-05-10, 04:50 PM
"This is the most excellent news... I'm actually planning a trip up to Wolfstone high in the mountains, to visit some family. As for mountaineering gear I would like a high quality climber's kit and possibly some snow shoes and a lot more rope. It would be for just one person. At least for now. I haven't got any traveling companions as of yet. If you've heard of anyone that needs a message or the like sent to Wolfstone I'd appreciate a heads up too."
After saying this Cara glances up at the stranger, assuming he is listening in she turns to him and asks politely and still with a light smile on her face: "Can I help you with anything good sir?"

bindin garoth
2011-05-10, 05:34 PM
"Hmmmmm.... Well could I have 2 plates full of ham and cabbage? And maybe a pie and some dumplngs?" He gives an amusing look as he says "The people who raised me couldn't believe how much I ate and yet stayed so skinny! Anyway, have there been any unusual people recently?"

bladescape
2011-05-10, 07:05 PM
Miowan opens the door once given permission, entering the warriors guild and taking a look around. The weaponry was what was expected, and there appeared to be only two members of the guild here. Actually, not it looked like. The younger one couldn't be a full member of the guild yet, more likely a squire of some sort. "Greetings." She immediately says, upon looking at the two, her accent is noticeable even with just two syllables pronounced.

"You are both guild members, yes?" She asks, her eyes the only thing noticed through her mask, that of a black dragon.(Chinesish style) "A spar, I wish for."

Cardea
2011-05-10, 08:11 PM
Nitri could only sigh. Was someone challenging her? Yeah. It could be taken at that. She looked at Garvis, and smiled. "Busy day? Yeah. It could be messy." Nitri turns to the newcomer, and then looks down. Height difference, she noted. "A spar? Well, I'm no Guild Member, but I couldn't say no, now could I?" At this, she pulls out a... metal disaster. Attached to a thick half-circle of metal with a handle in the middle of it are two blades. As she lowers the weapon into a resting position, trails of lightning run along it. "You want to take this outside?"

bladescape
2011-05-10, 08:27 PM
"Outside, inside. Matters not to me." She replies. Her eyes narrowing as she almost coils up, the twin-dragon entwined handles drawn in a fraction of a second. "To first blood, then?"

OOC:
The first to draw blood wins. I'm not sure about doing this in D&D, as if I remember correctly, at this level hits aren't so uncommon. In fact, both of us would hit very easily. With a roll of 2 or more. Which makes it a bit ... unfair.

abadguy
2011-05-10, 08:38 PM
Krrsshh

The day is a slow one, only a single caravan arriving in the late afternoon. One of the gate guards brought you a bowl of water and hard crackers for lunch and then tossed a copper farthing into your empty begging bowl. The caravan wasn't much help as the driver and teamsters were too weary from the trip to pay any attention to a figure sitting in the shade of the wall.

Late in the afternoon, soon after the coach and wagons has gone inside, you see a woman trudging up the road. Looks like she's come from a nearby farm. As she gets closer you see that she's a young woman, hale, hearty, and beautiful, dressed in simple work clothes carrying a heavy leather satchel (http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa239/poring500/HOI/Avandra.png) with three green stripes emblazoned on the flap. She stops near the gate and takes a wineskin from the satchel and closes her eyes in a brief silent prayer before taking a swig. She smiles and wipes her mouth, then offers the skin to you. "It's not the best Lord Padraig makes but its a touch slight better than water on a hot day like this."

She looks down at your nearly empty begging bowl and frowns. "Why don't you come inside, we'll get you a meal at the temple. Maybe find some work, too. You're not opposed to work, are you?"

Krrsshh bows from his lotus position after taking a sip from the proffered wineskin. "My thanks to you, young lady and may Avandra smile you on always."

He stands up. "I am not in search of work, rather, I am in search of a man. But I believe our meeting here may not be by chance. Perhaps, my time is better spent in service of my fellow man. Pray, lead the way, young lady." He bows and remains bowing, waiting for the young woman to move.

bladescape
2011-05-10, 08:48 PM
If you don't mind me taking this scene.

Both warriors tensed, ready to spring. The short spar was about to begin.

The spar was shortlived, as the flurry of steel and clang as the blades intercepted eachother. Miowan's found a gap first, slipping through to make a cut. The blades hummed slightly, as she paused, stepping back. "You fight well." Is all she says as she looks on.

Cardea
2011-05-10, 09:06 PM
Nitri closes her eyes as the duel starts, lowering her mask. The Elf strikes, and by all means, it was a good blow... had it connected. Instead, her form blurs into an arc of electricity, moving directly her straight back from the woman, and out of reach of her strike. The energy continues to flow, as her blades' form shifts, turning into lightning. She lashes out once, against the woman.

Immediate Action: Flooding Rain. AC is replaced with 46 against your first attack. Moving backwards ten feet out of your reach, provoking no AoO.
Move Action: Moving within ten feet of you.
Standard Action: Using Arc of Lightning from Twin Storm. I make a single attack against you, at a +10 ft. range.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Chambers
2011-05-10, 11:25 PM
Allen

"Sure thing." The bartender says and shouts an order back to the kitchen. One of the old men at the bar next to you nods and says "I had a nephew was like that. Boy could eat eve'rthing you put in front of him and not grow a scootch!"

The bartender smiles as if he's heard this story before. "Unusual? Sure, I suppose so. There's a pretty young thing come here last night, looked like she'd been on the road awhile. Sang for us." The last comes out softly and his eyes looks like he's looking somewhere else. "Anyway..." He shakes his head and his eyes clear. "She's not the only one. You guys seen that one with all the hair?" He says to the other men.

The old man speaks up. "Yah! I saw him walkin' down the street, he looked cross and loaded for bear. And there's another lady, a red haired lady that came into town a few days ago."

The bartender narrows his eyes and leans forward over the bar. "You guys hear that? Sounds like fighting outside..."

Nitri & Miowan

Garvis stands with his mouth open for a moment, staring at probably the two most physically intimidating women he's ever met before in his life. And they both have swords...and sword-like things...and it looks like they want to fight. By the time he snaps his jaw up and dashes outside they've already touched blades and exchanged the first swipes and cuts.

He stops just outside the door, one hand on the hilt of his sword, the other clutching a brown felt hat, squishing it on top of his head.

Krrsshh

"Oh, thank you." She says as she takes back the wineskin. "I'm Sister Linora. I'm guessing that you're not just sitting outside the gates here waiting for any man that walks by..." She says as she leads you through the open gate and into the town. "...so who exactly are you waiting for? If you don't mind my asking, that is." She turns and smiles at you but her smile slowly fades as she stops just inside the gate.

"Who are those women...and why are they fighting in the middle of the street?" She asks, pointing to what appear to be an elf and a human, both in dueling stances and trading blows with rather large swords.

Cara & Rohl

"Och, I certainly hope you don't plan on going alone dear!" Bairwin says and his face cringes in what appears to be genuine concern. "I've never heard of anyone making through the pass on a solo trip. Just can't be done, or I'd have done it myself." He steps back from the counter and walks down to the back part of the shop, hefts a large back off of a shelf. "Uff!" Lifting it with both hands he carries it back up and sets it down on a small stool next to the counter. "This'n here is my standard kit for a Pass trip. Got three weeks supply of emergency rations, wet-light torches, a hundred'fifty of hemp, e-tool, hatchet, ice picks, cleats, snow shoes, heavy blanket, a week'n half of wool socks and an ensorcelled sleeping blanket guaranteed to keep out the chill!" He pats it on the top and smiles. "Course, this is just for your personal well-being. Your caravan should have double of all o' that for everyone, if'n you wanted to do it proper. All of that adds up to some slightly higher than 50 crowns, but I'll cut you a deal and keep it at 50 even."

He turns to Rohl and slides all the coins right into his sleeve. They don't make as much as a single clink going in and his sleeve doesn't seem to be any larger once they're all there. He winks at Rohl and unlocks the lid to the small box and takes out two small vials, each capped with a cork, and silver foil wrapping around that. You can see the colors inside; one purple and one bright green. He places them gently on the counter and then locks the box and slides it back underneath the counter. "Now...take the purple when you've got a foot of steel sticking out your gut...and take the green when you don't barely have the strength to stand, walk, or even think straight."

Muirin

Valthrun pours a spoonful of sugar into the cup and hands it to you. "Outside time...? No...it feels more like time is flowing through me." She shakes her head and the cowl slips a bit, revealing a few dark red curls. "I see things...sometimes...like bits of flotsam drifting past. But all analogies are suspect. Sometimes it's me I see floating by."

She takes her own cup and sips it quietly. "This storm is...well, just the beginning." She says and chuckles at her own joke. "And no, there's nothing you or I or anyone can do to stop this one. But what comes after...there are many eddies, to continue the analogy, and sometimes things float one way and sometimes another."

"The banner you wear...I've seen it before." She says and reaches under the coffee table, pulling out different books and scrolls and setting them aside. "Where did I put that...? Ah!" She shivers for a moment and then settles, her head turning towards the open window. "I'd thought we had a longer chat before the fight...things are moving strange now." She shakes her head and more curls show themselves. "Sorry dear, it looks like your friends need you now. And don't beat yourself up about it love, sometimes people just die." She says, and in the silence you can hear the faint sounds of swords clashing coming from down in the square.

Ifni
2011-05-11, 12:09 AM
Muirin frowns. "My friends? I've no friends here, or none I know... save you, perhaps. But if you say that I should go -" she smiles at Valthrun, "- I'll heed your wisdom, and see who are these future friends who need my help." She hesitates, then reaches into her belt pouch and brings out a small silver brooch, engraved with a cresting wave.

"Would you accept this gift? It's just a trinket, but meaningful to me. Perhaps to you as well, given your analogy. All streams flow to the sea."

She stands up, picking up the bannerstaff that she had put down for the conversation, and inclines her head to Valthrun. "You've been so kind - I'd like to return another time, and speak again. Of banners, perhaps, and eddies in the stream. I dream, as well, and often feel I drift unanchored in the storm." She looks past the other woman, out the window at the sky. "It's hard to tell, sometimes, what's one's true self, and what's mere shifting sand. But it seems you understand."

With a last smile at Valthrun, she turns and leaves the room quietly, then runs lightly down the stairs. Emerging from the tower, she regards the situation curiously.

Two women, one elven, one human, trading blows in the square - and by all appearances, doing their best to kill each other. Muirin's eyes widen as the human woman leaps backward, as graceful as the wind itself, and then darts back into the fray. She glances quickly around, but most of the other people in the square seem as confused as she is. She nudges whichever of the nearby townsfolk looks least bewildered and asks, "Are they local folk, or strangers recently arrived? Do you know how this began?"

abadguy
2011-05-11, 04:54 AM
Krrsshh

"Oh, thank you." She says as she takes back the wineskin. "I'm Sister Linora. I'm guessing that you're not just sitting outside the gates here waiting for any man that walks by..." She says as she leads you through the open gate and into the town. "...so who exactly are you waiting for? If you don't mind my asking, that is." She turns and smiles at you but her smile slowly fades as she stops just inside the gate.

"Who are those women...and why are they fighting in the middle of the street?" She asks, pointing to what appear to be an elf and a human, both in dueling stances and trading blows with rather large swords.

"Greetings to you Sister Linora, I am ... Krrsshh. Yes, I am in search of a particular man, one whom I know not his name nor description, simply that I will know him when I see him." He smiled wanly. "Not much help I know, but hopefully, with guidance from my ancestors and perhaps, with Avandra's luck, we shall meet."

He walks with her, taking in his surroundings. Towns and cities unnerved him somewhat, all the buildings and people crowding around him. But Winterhaven seemed less populous, its building less clumped together. He had been an active traveller in his younger years, trading his tribes' goods for manufactured goods from the cities. It was there he learnt some useful skills, especially the art of unarmed combat. Good times, he thought wistfully.

On Sister Linora's exclamation, he focused on the two fighting women and admired their prowess. "Perhaps a test of skill between them? They do seem very formidable, especially the human one." He took special note of her, very impressed with the way she skillfully avoided the elf's initial strike and with a fluid motion, struck back with skill.

bindin garoth
2011-05-11, 05:14 AM
"What the...." Allen says as soon as he hears the fighting. Curious about what's going on, he quickly says "Sir, I'm going to check out what's going on. Hold on to that food for me ok?"

He walks out just in time to see a human woman darting back just in time to aviod a slash from an elven woman. Almost immediatly, the woman darts back in like a flash of lightning, and starts her counter-attack.

Upon seeing this, Allen completely forgets about his food, and decides to watch the battle extremely closely, especially with his white, left eye. 'After all these years and I still can't control it's powers too well. At least this'll be a good exercise for it.' Allen can't help but this, and as he looks on, it almost seems like he can tell how they are going to strike, but only just a second or two before they actually do. Walking up to the nearest group of people, Allen asks out of curiosity "Where did these women come from? Does this happen often here?"

Starsign
2011-05-11, 07:08 AM
Rohl gave a nod to Bairwin as he takes the two vials. As their purchase is completed, the shifter's attention turns to outside, where two women are sparring with each other. Rohl had no joy in sparring with others, but he ought to watch, if for a moment, to see their fighting styles.

Okay, I know what the vials do, but is there any sort of actual name for these potions Chambers? :smalltongue:

roscoe
2011-05-11, 07:28 AM
As the stranger leaves the shop Cara immediately refocuses on the deal and buys all the stuff for the 50 crowns the shopkeeper asked for.
"Glad to do business with you. And thank you for the advice. I think I will listen to it."
Cara walks out the shop and hearing the fight goes to take a closer look a crease of worry showing on her face. As she sees the crowd standing close to the fighting she assumes it is a sparring match and walks up to take a closer look.

bladescape
2011-05-11, 06:43 PM
Miowan, after complimenting her opponents fighting, suddenly realises that what she thought had been a good solid blow was, in fact, a fail. The lightning like effect around her opponent had somehow successfully deflected her blow!

She curses in surprise as the lightning arcs towards her, attempting to sidestep only to find the lightning bend and follow her movement. She drops her sword as she is hit, staring down at the cut on her arm before bowing to Nitri. "Your powers are unusual, but your skill is very good. You have won this fight." The voice of the girl, still quite flat with that foreign accent, holds no disappointment or rage at her loss. She seems to quietly accept her loss. "So, if you are not a member of this guild, then it is highly unusual to see one such as you here, yes?"

AND .... EDITTED. Silly me for misunderstanding my power. Should have used Guardian's ability last turn, and probably Ki Dodge too. But, ah, well. You live and you learn.

Also, the quiet acceptance is from the honour system I've given her, the asian/Japanese mostly system. Challenging someone high above your level is stupid, and challenging someone below your level is dishonourable. Therefore every fight can be won or lost, therefore losing should only be a reason to respect your opponent, nothing else.

Ifni
2011-05-11, 10:33 PM
Muirin whistles softly at the lightning speed of the two warriors, and catches her breath as the human woman's strange lightning-blade slices into the elf's arm. The elven woman does not seem overly troubled by her wound, though, and Muirin relaxes as the elf steps back and bows to her opponent. Just a friendly bout, then.

She hesitates for a moment, but the fragments she has been offered hint at a tune too intriguing to ignore. A prophecy of friendship, and need. Strange travelers, as out of place in this small village as she. A blade of lightning, cast out against the ever-present silent thunder of the approaching storm.

She slips through the crowd, approaching the two warriors. The breeze catches the banner on her staff, unfurling it slightly; it flutters slowly in the warm air.

Her intent was to wait a few paces away for the warriors to finish their conversation, but as she steps out into the open, she sees a third well-armed woman standing nearby and watching. Her flaming red hair is distinctive: Muirin remembers seeing her in the common room of the inn the previous night. The twin swords are new, though, and the great longbow - and the large pack she is carrying. Another traveler, clearly; another warrior?

She walks over to the red-haired woman, inclines her head and asks with a smile, "Do you know these two who spar? Or is this town graced by chance with three who know the dance of swords?"

Chambers
2011-05-11, 10:52 PM
The man standing next to Muirin appears to be a guard of some sort, though he's not yet out of his teens and the fight has him scared, one hand clutching his hat while the other grips and twists the hilt of his sheathed sword. He swallows and says to her, "Strange folk, ma'am." His eyes don't leave the two combatants, though it appears they've finished their duel. "Just dropped into the guild hall and then stepped out for a fight without barely a how d'you do."

A few of the bar patrons are standing in the doorway of the tavern and talking to themselves in low tones and Sister Linora seems confused by what's going on, though she doesn't appear to show any fright as the spectacle appears to be over. She walks up to the fighters and raises an eyebrow. "Do you need a bandage for that?" She asks Miowan.

Before the warrior can respond clouds float in front of the sun and cover the market square in shade. The temperature drops more than a bit in just a moment and the wind picks up, blowing hard from the north. It knocks Garvis hat off his head and sends it skittering across the square, but his reaction is silenced by a loud clap of thunder that rocks the entire village. There's no proper lightning strike but instead a brief flash of green light right south of the square, and the young guards cap stops its travels, landing against the leg of some beastly creature (http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/9.jpg) that appears there, crouched over in the spot where the flash was. It stands there for a heartbeat and then slumps forward to the ground and as the spots fade from your eyes you can see the blood flowing from half a dozen wounds, marring his golden mane. Where there is blood there is also black scorch marks, as if a hot fire was pressed against it's skin; a sharp smell of burned fur wafts towards you.

The only clothing or marking he wears is a silver tabard with a broken sword (http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/heraldry.png) in front of a burst of blue, though this too is bloodstained. He wears a light chain around his neck, with what seems to be a small scroll case attached to it.

It gets to a knee and looks around, it's eyes wild and wide. He coughs, then spits something dark to the ground and then growls in common "Wolfstone is fallen, and they are coming." He lets out a yelp and then slumps to the ground.

The clouds continue to stay where they are, blocking the sun even while the wind picks up speed.

abadguy
2011-05-11, 10:56 PM
((Ninja-ed))
Hmmm ... he notices that others are watching as well. Mostly townsfolk ... but a few have the quiet air of confidence about them, one honed only through years of experience in fighting or adventuring. The red-haired woman especially, and the one going up to talk to her now. He filed their features away in his mind and spoke to Sister Linora. "Pardon me, Sister, does this sort of ... dueling ... happen often? I have oft thought Winterhaven to be, well, a peaceful sort of town."

The loud clap of thunder made him look around but the sudden appearance of the monster goaded him into action. Instinctively moving into a fighting stance at the appearance of the beast-like creature, Krrsshh moves in front of Sister Linora, ready to attack if attacked. At the creature's collapse though, he relaxed slightly. Then a sudden moment of epiphany.

By the spirits of my ancestors, it is a sign! A clearer indication that I am treading on the right path I have not seen. Cause and effect, I waited so long outside when all I had to do was to come inside for events to be set in motion. Thank you, guiding spirits. He offered a small silent prayer of thanks.

bladescape
2011-05-11, 11:04 PM
"A bandage .... would be appreciated." She replies to the sister haltingly, as if the offer had surprised her. Certainly she looked as if it had.

Then, with the clap of thunder and the flash, her reaction is different from most in that her reaction is to crouch down into a fighting stance, blades at the ready. The whistle shrilly whipping through the air is answered by a howl. However, she seems to slacken the stance just slightly when she realises that it is not only injured, but seems not to pose a threat.

Wolfstone had fallen? "When, and what?" She quickly replies to it's utterance, hoping to get an answer before the wounds silenced it permanently.

Ifni
2011-05-12, 12:17 AM
A brief, brilliant, fey smile crosses Muirin's face as the wind picks up, but vanishes almost as quickly. With an apologetic nod to the red-haired woman, she begins to move toward the golden-maned creature, but then pauses and looks over at the woman who offered Miowan a bandage. "I can heal at need, but I suspect your skills here exceed mine?" Most healers she knew did not appreciate untrained hands getting in their way.

She looks up toward the mountains, where the storm still gathers around the peaks. Stepping away from the other onlookers, she draws a polished mirror from her pouch. A glissade of ice-clear notes falls from her lips, and a light seems to illuminate her, even as her form briefly shifts and wavers. When the notes fade she seems to stand taller and more confident. In the rising wind, the banner she holds ripples out to its full extent, revealing the symbol of a stylized hurricane.

"Wolfstone," she says - not shouting, but her voice carries over the rising winds. "Bastion against the giants and their ilk. Is it they who've overthrown the town? Who've injured you, and now pursue?"

She hums quietly, testing her vocal cords as she looks up at the swirling clouds above. "I distrust the power behind that mountain storm; I'll try to sing a spell to calm the air, unless you think there's danger there."

Muirin casts Inner Beauty, extended using the ability of Rainbow Falls, so it will last six hours. Trying to avoid stunning anyone with the revelation when I do it :smalltongue: She will plan to sing a Winter's Ballad, attempting to maintain the weather at nothing more violent than brisk winds and clouds, as her next action (it takes 10 minutes to manifest and then lasts concentration + 1d6 hours).
I'm also assuming here the creature is still conscious; if it's not, consider her questions to the creature rephrased as statements of possibility :smallwink:

roscoe
2011-05-12, 01:27 AM
The redhaired woman turns her head to you as you ask her a question.
"I don't know these two combatants. I was drawn here by the sound of battle. My name is Cara and you?"

As the winds picked up to storm her first reaction was to walk towards the tavern but as she hears the strange utterings from the appearing creature her skintone becomes even more pale than before and as she turns and starts to run towards the creature she shouts: "NO!"

She tries to see if she can recognise who this creature is

No doubt in her mind as to how the town had fallen she only asks:
"Were there any survivors, and if so who?"
After that she looks up at the mountains with a face showing emotions of guilt and pain.
She whispers very quietly "I should have been there. Forgive me"

Ifni
2011-05-12, 01:47 AM
Muirin looks back across the square to Cara - a brief look of surprise crossing her face, followed by comprehension and sympathy. "You hail from Wolfstone, then, as well? I'm so sorry." She pauses, and then continues, "Do you know - can you tell - who would have overrun the hold? I know little of these lands, truth be told." Another hesitation, and she adds, "I'm called Muirin." Her gaze jumps between the wounded messenger and the clouds above, judging the rate at which the wind is rising.

roscoe
2011-05-12, 02:05 AM
Tears streaking down her cheeks she answers simply: "Frost Giants." A seething hatred evident in every syllable.

abadguy
2011-05-12, 02:32 AM
Krrsshh moves closer to the gathered warriors, picking up on their conversation. Giants? he thought. Fierce enemies ... and if Wolfstone has indeed fallen, that is dire news indeed for Winterhaven and surrounding towns.

He sticks close to Sister Linora for now, preferring to wait and see. After all, he did not know for sure if the creature was friend or foe, despite its wounds, and everyone here are strangers to him.

bindin garoth
2011-05-12, 05:11 AM
After seeing that final blow, Allen whistles. Clearly, both were skilled fighters. 'And I get the feeling that they're not the only skilled ones around..... Just a coincidence maybe? Or something more?'

"Well either way, its time to get bac-" Allen says to himself as he starts to walk back to the inn before a flash of lightning erupts from the skys and a great beast with a broken sword appears on the ground, covered in bloody wounds. To say he was surprised was an understatement.

'Wolfstone has fallen? This isn't good.... Maybe its a good thing there are several skilled fighters nearby. But still, even if it was the giants, why now?' Allen thinks after hearing the strange beast. He then notices the chain around the beasts neck with a scroll case attached to it. Allen walks up to the beast and says a quick prayer to Palor for the poor beast before picking up the scroll case with his right hand and openning it to read what's inside. He decides to read the scroll outloud so that others can hear what it says.

Starsign
2011-05-12, 05:52 AM
Rohl took his time to check the sparring of the two females before sensing something of a sad change amongst the atmosphere. His normally neutral face slowly becoming a worrying frown. The appearance of the great creature had not surprised him at all; rather he began to walk up to the beast to check if there would be any benefit to heal it's wounds. He thought to himself, something feels wrong here... Almost as if something is out of place; is this what she was talking about so long ago?

He then said to the creature, "Stand Torrian. Do not be held fast by such injuries." He checked for a heartbeat in the case there was a chance of recovering the lionid humanoid.

I probably should have done this earlier, but I'd like to make a Knowledge history check of this place and it's surrounding areas.

[roll0]

Cardea
2011-05-12, 07:59 AM
Nitri only shakes her head at the Elf's question. Before she can answer her properly, the storm strikes, and the dying one appears. She puts her blade away, and takes out a note-pad, along with a small piece of charcoal; she marks down what others are saying as she gets closer to the man. It'd be a while until she could follow this lead after all...

Chambers
2011-05-12, 10:59 AM
Sister Linora has the wrap already in hand and she binds it quick around Miowan's cut. "Don't aggravate it, or it could open up again." She says with a hollow voice, her eyes staring at the wounded lion creature.

Allens quick fingers find the snap release for the case and it comes off the chain easy. It's no trick to open it and the small paper inside unrolls, showing clean and elegant handwriting.

bindin garoth
I thought the day would never come when Argent would be empty of all save me, an old and weathered man...when all the Champions of Silver had disappeared into the void, no longer to raise their arms against the forces of evil. I was wrong.

Cold winds blow from the south and I lack even a proper companion to keep me warm in my vigil...standing guard over a dead city, haunted by the specter of its past glory. If this scroll has found you then Rrowthar has not failed in his task, though he mayhaps be dead at your feet. If you be bold and courageous, daring and strong, then come to Argent and aid me in it's defense. If you be craven and cowardly, or seek to steal treasure from my city and do foul deeds, come anyway...and I will erase your stain from the world.

Signed,
Obanar, Last Guardian of Argent

Garvis blinks one last time at the lion/man thing and runs off towards the inner gate, his hat forgotten in the face of more serious issues. The people on the porch of the tavern sit in shock for a moment and then scramble inside and shut the door hard.

The burnt smell is stronger as Rohl checks the beast for signs of life, and under the thick mane locks he finds a slow and weak pulse. A low growl sounds from its throat but it seems more like an unconscious reaction than warning.

The clouds darken a bit and leave Muirin sure that this is no natural storm - she would have felt it approaching long before - and as if in reaction to her attention the winds blow harder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#strongWind), whipping clothes and hair wildly. If it were not late afternoon and there were evening torches out, they would have been blown out in an instant. As it is with the sky darkening to a heavy overcast a torch would be welcome now and the rising wind makes speaking below a strong voice impossible.

bindin garoth
2011-05-12, 11:17 AM
As Allen finishes reading the note out loud, he notices everyone running inside, scare of what just happened. With the storm here, and the winds rapidly flowing around those that remain, Allen sighs and picks up his things, ready for another trip.

"Well, any of you wanna come? It'd be lonely by myself, and the extra help could definitly be needed." he says as he turns to those that remain, his white hair becoming messy and tangled from the wind, and a look of determination on his face. His left eye flashes blue for a split second and the pentagram above it glows, as his left arm starts throbbing in pain again. Its almost as if responding to the new adventure that awaits him. He grips his left arm from the throbbing pain, fumbling almost as if he was trying to make sure people still couldn't see his arm, but in a split second, the pains dulls, but doesn't go away.

Starsign
2011-05-12, 11:21 AM
As if done by instinct, Rohl prepared his healing belt and used it's magical abilities to stabilize the badly wounded Torrian. "Where's a cleric?" he called out. A simple magical heal wouldn't help the injuries the creature received; it would keep him from dying, but the Torrian was in need of actual medical care to recover from this. The shifter then turned to Allen. "Where do you go?" He then turned to the crags and pass that he would be travelling to. It would be excellent for Rohl if all these warriors came as well; considering the tales he has heard of, going alone doesn't sound possible.

I'll use one charge of my healing belt to stabilize the Torrian.
[roll0]

bindin garoth
2011-05-12, 11:28 AM
"To Argent. This beast before us, named Rrowthar, was sent out as a messenger for help. This city only has one guardian holding out again a force of evil, and I intend on going to help." Allen says in response as he double checks his supplies, making sure everything is in order.

Starsign
2011-05-12, 11:37 AM
Rohl continues to help assist the Torrian as he listens to Allen. "Where does Argent lie?" he asks. "I don't come if I've been there already." The last thing the shifter wanted was to waste more time visiting an area he already has been in. He had not heard of Argent before; unless it is called by a different name in other parts of the world, he likely had never been there.

History check on Argent: [roll0]

roscoe
2011-05-12, 11:37 AM
Cara shouts, pain still evident on her face: "If you intend to go out in this storm you are crazy! We should wait untill it settles down. For now lets get inside and discuss what to do!"
After that she takes out an everburning torch and runs toward the Inn with her long fiery red hair trailing after her.

Ifni
2011-05-12, 11:39 AM
Muirin calls to the others, "Be warned! This is no natural storm! And those who sent it likely meant no good." Standing in the middle of the rapidly emptying square, she takes a deep breath, raises her face to the darkening sky, and begins to sing. Her voice is as sweet as honey, as intoxicating as faerie wine.

The melody begins with a high, wordless allegro, wild and skirling. The notes dance up into the air, merging with the noise of the wind until it seems like the sky itself is singing. But as Muirin sings on, the tempo slows, until the melody merges smoothly into the opening of a mariner's hymn entreating the gods of sea and air to bring fair winds and clear skies.

To Muirin, it feels that she is one with the wind, soaring above the town on the wings of the music, her body left far below an irrelevance except that it fuels the song.

First, to try to turn back the rising storm. That will not take effect instantly, but if she succeeds, it will last for some time; hours, perhaps, before she needs to sing again. Next, to buy some time for the first spellsong to act.

As she concludes the short hymn, she launches into a new melody. This one is in a major key, imperious and triumphant, but with exuberant trills and arpeggios that lend a sense of laughter and joy to the piece. She calls on the winds to do her bidding, to shape themselves according to her command.

Dance, winds of the north. Delight in capricious gusts and eddies in the air, in strong breezes that whistle through gaps in walls and tug at clothes and hair. But within this space, within my voice's reach - no more.

First doing a Winter's Ballad (Control Weather) to attempt to change the local weather (within a 2-mile radius of the town) to light winds and scattered cloud. It will manifest in 10 minutes (if it works) and last for 1d6 hours after Muirin stops singing. CL is 17 if the weather already counts as stormy, 15 otherwise; for amusement's sake, Perform check is [roll0], add +2 if it already counts as a storm.
Then stopping that song, and switching to Control Winds. Radius is 40ft/level, so 600ft if it doesn't count as stormy at the moment, 680ft if it does. I want to lower the wind strength to Moderate, and switch the direction to blow across the square from the direction of the gate, to help us hear anyone approaching the gate. Muirin will continue concentrating on this song, while watching the others tend to the messenger. Perform check of [roll1], adding +2 if the weather counts as a storm.
The Perform checks generally have no game effect for these songs, I'm just including them so (a) I have a sense of how much Muirin's heart is in it, and (b) in case you want to use them as opposed checks, if we have competing spell effects going on.
EDIT: Aaaaand ninja'ed by everybody. But Muirin is perfectly fine with everybody else getting the injured guy inside while she sings to the sky :smallsmile:

bindin garoth
2011-05-12, 12:10 PM
Allen, captivated by Muirin's voice, stays outside until her singing becomes quite. He, remembering the past, starts to feel the urge to dance as he did back then, but decides this is not the best time and place for this. He remembers falling over his own feet so many times before finally understanding the steps, bring a small smile to his face.

As her voice continues, he notices her voice is almost matching the winds around her. As if she was a part of the storm, or the storm was a part of her, Allen's not sure which. When she has finished her song, Allen claps his hands in amazement and says with a grin "Very talented. Very talented indead. Where'd you learn to sing like that, I don't think I've every heard anyone sing quite like you."

abadguy
2011-05-12, 12:11 PM
The winds whipping up everything and the skies darkening, Krrsshh looks about as the townsfolk begin retreating into buildings and thought they should too. He clears his throat as he almost shouts in the wind.

"Sirs and ladies, if you don't mind my saying, outside here in this wind is hardly the best place to discuss such matters. What say we move the beast and ourselves to the temple of Avandra? Sister Linora, would you be so kind as to lead the way?"

bladescape
2011-05-13, 12:04 AM
"Where evil fights, I will join the attempt to stop it." Is Miowans reaction to the decleration of the contents of the letter. She stands motionless for a few moments before nodding. "We must prepare, too much hurry and we will be illprepared."

The icy eyes of the warrior soften with Muirin's song, as if remembering once when her mother sang. She didn't have power in her voice like this lady did, but it was a memory she cherished. It was a pity she'd never learnt the art, never bothered, too caught up in the thought of vengence.

bindin garoth
2011-05-13, 07:57 AM
"Sounds like a good idea to me. Is everyone ok with going to the temple to talk about this more? Although it sounds like we don't have much time." Allen yells above the winds, hoping that eveyone can hear him.

roscoe
2011-05-13, 02:08 PM
Cara skids to a stop before taking that many steps. She looks around at the others and nods at the young man and heads toward the temple instead of the Inn.

Chambers
2011-05-13, 05:35 PM
Sister Linora nods to Krrsshh, her face unsure. "Uh...yes, of course. You, sir." She says to Rohl as she moves towards the lion creature. "Please help me carry him."

The magic of Rohl's belt is released and washes over the creature, slowing the flow of blood to a minor trickle. The beasts breathing eases and his eyes flicker open. With a low growl he climbs up to his feet and stumbles, then steadies himself under the Sisters arm. "Thanks...but, no time." He rasps. "They're right behind..."

His last words are drowned out in a loud thunderclap, even as Muirin's song drastically cuts the wind down and changes its direction. There are more flashes of green light that accompany the cacophony and you find yourselves no longer alone in the market square.

Two tall pillars of twisting fire stand behind Rohl and waves of heat radiate from them. The ground rumbles and two large boulders climb out of the earth, forming into some strange bipedal rock creatures, grass and dirt falling off them. In between these stands what looks like an angel - if an angel's lower body was composed of living fire and it's chest a glowing ember. Wielding what appears to be a sword of liquid flame and bearing a clear glass shield it stares at Rohl with dark red eyes and then turns its gaze upon everyone.

"Leave him to me." The fire archon says, his voice like hot steam rising. "Leave him...or watch it all burn."

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/townfightgrid1.png

C = Cara
A = Allen
Mi = Miowan
Mu = Muirin
N = Nitri
R = Rohl
Big L = Lion Creature
Blue S = Sister Liona
Red Circle = Fire Elemental
Black Circle = Earth Elemental
Red Trianlge = Fire Archon

We're not technically in initiative order yet, but I have a hunch you guys won't just hand him over. I mean, you could, I guess. :smallsmile:

So...banter with the fire archon or charge. Or whatever. Your choice.

I'll have some spoiler blocks in the OOC for monster knowledge checks in a few minutes, but it's pretty obvious what the basic types of creatures these things are.

Ifni
2011-05-13, 06:04 PM
Muirin's eyes widen with surprise and a hint of awe, followed by a flash of anger which is quickly masked. Her song pauses for a moment, and she moves to stand beside Sister Liona, with a glance of concern at the wounded lion-creature. In a deceptively sweet and calm tone, she meets the archon's red eyes and asks, "What has this one done to draw your rage? Surely you'd not ask we hand him over without any way to gauge his crime?"

Continuing to gaze at the archon, she resumes her song, but more quietly than before, her voice again picking up the thread of wild music running through the wind.

Maintaining concentration on Control Winds for the moment. Moving to the square directly right of S.

Cardea
2011-05-13, 06:39 PM
"I think he does," Nitri says, walking forward. She raises her palms outward, and smiles. "Now, I don't know of any Fire Archon- I don't really know any Fire Archon at all, actually- but, I don't know of any Fire Archon who likes to keep... pets?" She says, taking a quizzical look at the Lion-creature. "Has he, perhaps, escaped?

Nitri is going to walk so that she's between the Lion and the Fire Archon.

bindin garoth
2011-05-13, 06:59 PM
As Allen sees the great beasts of flames and earth appear before them and hears their demands, a single thought crosses his mind. 'Defend this creature.' Allen steps forward, in front of the lion creature and says "Why to you pursue this creatures death? For be warned, creatures of the elements, this creature has come to me asking for my help, I will not turn my head and let a creature who has asked for my help die in front of me....... Well, I was hoping not to reveal this so soon but I guess their is no choice in the matter."

As he says this he rolls up both of his sleeves and takes off his cape, revealing both of his arms. His right arm, now much more noticeable, it has a slightly golden hue to it, and a small white statue of the rising sun on the back of his hand. It the proceed to warp and shift, resulting in 2 razor-sharp wings appearing right off of his wrist. Also, on his right forearm, a mouth filled with sharp, pointy teeth appears, ready to chomp into any foe. But its his left arm that is truly.... "Different." Ebon black with several scars running down his arm, and upon the back of his hand is a similar white statue, except of the crescent moon. It too, starts to mutate, and soon is covered in black, steel-hard plates, and the beak of a black bird forms upon his forearm. Out of his wrist forms 2 razor sharp black wings, ready to cut into any foe. The very teeth of his mouth elongate slightly and become pointed, ready to chomp on any foe.

"Alright, ready for the fight!" Allen says in a slightly distorted voice.

Move 30ft ahead, ends up 10ft in front of the lion beast. He readies a standard action to use blink shirt to teleport 5ft to the back and left if he is attacked.

Starsign
2011-05-13, 07:28 PM
Rohl looks at the opposition that had appeared. One Archon and some elementals; the shifter was glad that there were other warriors to help. He turns to the sister, "Get the Torrian away, now!" he shouted, almost as if it was an order. Rohl then drew out a sword, gripping the hilt with his left hand. It was a katana, a much smaller one though. In Rohl's right hand, a sudden blade appeared, looking just like his other weapon. The difference was that his right weapon was made out of some sort of energy; specifically, psionic energy. "Leave," he simply told the elementals as an act of intimidation, not that it would do much from his own past experiences.

Move 25' right and 5' down (in the direction away from most of the other party member's starting positions.

roscoe
2011-05-14, 03:42 AM
Cara seemingly disappears into thin air.

For those who make their spot checks:
Cara is approaching hidden. She draws her swords as she moves very quietly towards the left earthelemental. She moves 25 ft straight down and 5 ft diagonally southeast.

Chambers
2011-05-15, 12:10 PM
The Fire Archon merely shakes his head at your questions. "You've made your choice then." He turns his head slightly to the elementals. "Destroy them."

The huge piles of rock and dirt lunge forward. The one on the left rushes towards Allen, what you assume to be it's fist held high, but as it comes crashing down onto him you blink and he's standing right next to where he was. The elementals fist pounds uselessly into the ground, missing Allen by scant inches. The other living earthquake lives up to its name as it bounds forward and slams itself into the ground. Shockwaves ripple out and slam into Rohl and Muirin, but they hold their footing.

The fire elementals shine bright for a moment and then hurl huge blast of flame that stick to the ground and spring to life, creating an inferno around those it engulfs. Nitri and Muirin catch the full force of the blast and the encompassing heat and flames overwhelms their senses. Sister Linora is likewise unlucky, yet she seems to be affected by it more and she drops to the ground after a brief scream, the flames eating away at her. The flames wash over the lion creature and it lets out a sharp yell as it falls to the ground again.

With a smile on his face the Fire Archon slowly walks toward Nitri, it's sword of living fire dripping globs of fire that scorch the ground. The air around it is dry and becomes superheated as the flames that are his body burn the ground and singe the air. With a quick flourish he slices the sword across Nitris body and it scores a deep cut, the wound instantly cauterized by the intense heat. Fires dance in his eyes as his smile grows, his sword slowly tracking Nitri's movements.

The people in the bar shut the windows and doors they were peeking out of. Garvis, already at the inner gate, freezes when the elementals attack. He pulls out his short sword and takes a half-step forward, then stops, fear and indecision on his face.

Round 1
It's the PC's turn.

Muirin, Nitri, & Sister Linora are blinded as long as they stay in the firestorm zones. The zones are 3x3 square blocks with the center designated by the tan colored marker.

Nitri - You tap the DC for the Martial Lore check to identify the effects of the stance he's in. He's in the Iron Guard's Glare stance.

Everyone check the OOC Post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10995255&postcount=65) for damage taken and other information.

Map
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/townfightgrid2.png

Ifni
2011-05-15, 04:57 PM
"Aie!" Muirin's involuntary exclamation of pain breaks the rhythm of her song. She blinks furiously against the inferno of flame around her, eyes watering so profusely that she cannot see.

With a graceful dance-like step she darts backward out of the fire, and as her eyes clear, looks down in horror at the burnt and unconscious bodies of Sister Linora and the Torrian. Glaring at the elementals, she sings a short, fast, furious sequence of rippling notes - and something in the music seems to send a surge of wild energy through the listeners' blood.

She crouches down, touching the unconscious priestess and the Torrian, and calls to the others,
"They're not strong enough for this - I'll take them to a safer place for help. If you have aid for them, give it apace. I will return!"

Everyone can read this:
Moving back to the square behind L, diagonally to the left and behind S. Activating Inspire Courage as a swift action, +3 morale bonus to attack and damage for all allies, it will last 5 rounds.
Readying an action to cast Dimension Door (if she's threatened at the time, she will cast defensively) after everyone else has acted OR if anything else happens that would hurt the NPCs (such as an immediate-action ability from the elementals). She will transport the NPCs (and herself) to inside Bairwin's Grand Shoppe. Upon arriving there, she will call to Bairwin, "Please, give them healing! The priest first! I'll pay the cost!"

bindin garoth
2011-05-15, 05:07 PM
As the great beast of earth comes down upon Allen, he quickly teleports aside, still remaining beside the beast to counter-attack. He has seen the attack coming just a split second beforehand, and had already known the best way to dodge. Right after he teleports, however, the flames of the firestorm elemental come down on him, however he manages to dodge the worst of it.

As he prepares his counter-attack, his body speeds up to a blurs as he activates his boots, and he feels the power and strength of Muirin's song resonate with his body, empowering him. He jumps up onto the beast and grabs the monster with his left hand as he brings for his right hand, unleashing 2 quick punches followed by a knee to what appears to the beasts midsection. As the beast recoils from the blows, Allen quickly grabs onto the beast with his left hand and brings the bladed wings across the body of the beast, leaving 2 small gashes across it. He then brings his left hand back at the beast as the beak on his forearm takes a chunk of rock and dirt out of the monster. He then proceeds to flip off of the beast and attack with the white wings off of his right hand and lets the mouth on his forearm take yet another chunk off of the beast before using the fangs within his own mouth to finish his attacks for the moment.

Activates boots of haste as a free action, gain an extra unarmed strike.

Unarmed attack rolls:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Wing attacks (short swords):

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Bite attack rolls:

[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Unarmed damage rolls:
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]

Wing damage rolls (short swords):
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]

Bite damage rolls:

[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

will roll crit confirms in ooc thread

roscoe
2011-05-15, 06:28 PM
Cara gets taken completely by surprise by the earth elementals very quick actions. All her careful planning ruined by it's actions she resorts to her backup plan and activates her belt. She blurs into action and moves quite quickly to the earth elemental and at the same time dropping her attempt to stay hidden. As she reaches it she makes sure she has a flanking partner on the other side. Her stinging attacks falls rapidly over her opponents as she blitzes it. Bits and pieces of rock flies out in all directions as a result of her attacks and leaves the creature weakened.

As far as I understand Allen hasn't moved since the battlemap was updated, so Cara activates her belt of battle to gain a free move action and she moves up to the earth elemental without bothering to hide her approach. Then she full attacks the earth elemental.

Starsign
2011-05-15, 10:09 PM
Rohl had found himself in flames and uneasy by the earthquake, but amazingly kept his sight and balance in check, though wounded more than he would have preferred. The shifter figured now that he couldn't hold back, even slightly. His first action was to move out from the fire. He took a dash around the rocky elemental, appearing on the other side. By the time the elemental turns to see Rohl on the other side, something was different about him. The shifter had his skin changed, now no longer flesh but fur of a red-ish brown hue. The fur looked more than just like fur, but almost like a protective shield. A moment later the shifter lashed out at the elemental, striking with his blades in a frenzy.

Ancestral Wakizashi Attack: [roll0]
Mind Blade Attack: [roll1]

Ancestral Wakizashi Damage: [roll2]
Mind Blade Damage: [roll3]

EDIT: If both hit Rohl deals an extra 1d6+9 damage due to Two-Weapon Rend and an extra 1d6 from each weapon due to Gauntlets of Giantfelling. Also Rohl shifts, gaining +2 Con and +2 to AC for 5 rounds.

bladescape
2011-05-16, 01:39 AM
Miowan stands still at the appearance of the Elementals and the Archon. Tensing slightly, and slowly drawing her swords. She does not move until the Elementals charge, exhaling once and charging the Earth Elemental, her form blurring as she moves. Springing onto the beast, her weapons cut, attempting to slay their foe. The second blade acting more like a shield than a Wakazashi.

Meanwhile, Kira slowly slinks through the shadows, attempting to close the gap before revealing his presence.

Sorry, didn't post anything for the 'surprise' round, should've done something then but....

Activate Ki Dodge(Smarter this time.) Swift Action.
Transfer the +4 to AC from Guardian, Free Action.
Go straight down to engage the Earth Elemental, Move Action.

Attacks(Wakazashi/Katana):
[roll0] (Quicksilver) [roll1] Damage.
[roll2] (Guardian) [roll3] Damage.

Kira, stealth and move silently checks:
[roll4] Hide.
[roll5] Move Silently.

Oh, and add +5 to damage and Attack rolls, as I forgot to when I rolled.

Cardea
2011-05-16, 07:49 PM
"Ahhh, hahaha!" Nitri laughs, as the pain sets in. Storm clouds warp around her body, twisting her shape, as she speeds out from the fire. She moves to the left, then moves quickly forward, before doubling back behind the Fire Archon, ten feet behind him. "Iron Guard's Glare? Glare at this, you son of a pup!" Lightning crackles around her hands, forming a curved bolt of energy, bending at her knuckles. She swings wide, the energy pulsing forward, aimed at the Fire Archon.

Swift Action: Boost: Zephyr Breath.
Move Action: Move to ten feet behind the Fire Archon.
Standard Action: Streak of Lightning. All damage is electricity damage. Using Unarmed Strike. If it hits, Fire Archon is blinded.

Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Chambers
2011-05-17, 05:23 PM
Bairwind's eyes go wide as his shop is suddenly filled with the wounded lion, unconscious priest and striking woman. He sputters out a mouthful of wine and nearly falls out of his chair. His eyes glance over the two unconscious forms laying on the floor and moves quickly over to them, more nimble than his bulk would suggest. "Of course, no charge for the Sister. This should keep them stable for a bit." He says and spreads his hands out wide over both of them.

A soft blue glow encompasses his hands and it quickly diffuses, spreading out over the lion and the sister. Their breathing steadies in an instant and some of their lesser wounds close up, though neither of them regain consciousness.

Spellcraft DC 18Mass Aid. As it's just temporary hit points and not actual healing, I think they'll stay unconscious until they receive actual healing. While they have the temp HP they're not in danger of dying though.

Back in the square, the rock elemental succumbs under the combined blows of Allen, Miowan, and Cara. It crumbles into a loose pile of rocks and dirt while the other elemental slams a rock appendage into Rohl as the shifter tries to maneuver around it.

Nitri's electricity strikes true and the Fire Archon screams out in rage as the spots dance before his eyes, unable to see. While the archon suffers the drawback of being only half-elemental, the fire elementals have no such concern and unleash another pair of firestorms, this time catching the earthquake felling trio in the full blast. The other firestorm lands right on top of the remaining earth elemental, catching Krrsshh in it's blast while Rohl dodges out of the way. The earth elemental doesn't go quietly though, as it explodes in a flurry of rocks and rubble that shakes the very ground, thought Rohl and Krrsshh both manage to keep their feet.

The Fire Archon lashes out uselessly with his sword and then yells again. His body takes on a darker hue and then fire erupts from him in a burst, slamming into Nitri and Allen. Allen manages to avoid most of the blast but Nitri is caught in the face of it and the blow back from the explosion sucks her closer to the Fire Archon, the intensity of his flaming body searing her.

Round 2.
PC's turn.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/unnamedhero91/townfightgrid3-1.png

Both earth elementals are destroyed.

Here is the total damage everyone has taken, who is blind, and who is going to take5 fire damage at the start of their turn.

Nitri - 53 damage (5 fire at start of turn)
Rohl - 66 damage (5 fire at start of turn)
Muirin - 38 damage
Sister - 19 damage
Allen - 33 damage (blind) (5 fire at start of turn)
Rowrthar - 14 damage
Cara - 14 damage (blind) (5 fire at start of turn)
Miowan - 14 damage (blind) (5 fire at start of turn)
Krrsshh - 36 damage (blind) (5 fire at start of turn)

abadguy
2011-05-17, 10:10 PM
"Grarghh ..... " Krrsshh feels the flames sear his flesh even as it tries to knit his wounds as fast as it can. Blinded, he uses his anklets to teleport out of the burning area and feels his sight return. Looks like fire is useless against them.. He charges against the human-like fire monster and unleashes a flurry of punches and claws.

Take 5 fire damage, fast heal for 2 so total damage taken is 39.
Swift action: activate Anklets of Translocation to move 10ft "down"
Full round action: Charge at the archon and attack 10 ft away, (if necessary, use Nimble Charge skill trick to ignore difficult terrain) position is
10ft to the right of the archon

Power Attack for 1

Punch 1 [roll0] (+2 charge, +3 bardsong, -2 snap kick, -2 TWF, -1 PA)
Damage 1 [roll1] (+3 bardsong, +1 PA)

Punch 2 [roll2]
Damage 2 [roll3] (+3 bardsong, +1 PA)

Punch 3 [roll4]
Damage 3 [roll5] (+3 bardsong, +1 PA)

Off hand Punch [roll6] (+2 charge, +3 bardsong, -2 snap kick, -2 TWF, -1 PA)
Damage 4 [roll7] (+3 bardsong, +1 PA)

Snap Kick [roll8] (+2 charge, +3 bardsong, -2 snap kick, -2 TWF, -1 PA)
Damage 5 [roll9] (+3 bardsong, +1 PA)

Claw 1 [roll10] (+2 charge, +3 bardsong, -2 snap kick, -2 TWF, -1 PA, -2 Multiattack)
Damage 6 [roll11] (+3 bardsong, +1 PA, x2 rend if 2 or more claws hit)

Claw 2 [roll12] (+2 charge, +3 bardsong, -2 snap kick, -2 TWF, -1 PA, -2 Multiattack)
Damage 7 [roll13] (+3 bardsong, +1 PA, x2 rend if 2 or more claws hit)

Claw 3 [roll14] (+2 charge, +3 bardsong, -2 snap kick, -2 TWF, -1 PA, -2 Multiattack)
Damage 8 [roll15] (+3 bardsong, +1 PA, x2 rend if 2 or more claws hit)

bindin garoth
2011-05-18, 05:32 AM
A sudden flame bursts below Allens feet, burning him badly and blinding him from the sudden flash of flames. He lets out a slight yell in anger before seeing Krrsshh fell the archeon, impressed with the numerous strikes.

He notices only the 2 fire elementals are left, and activating his belt, moves in a blur towards the beast before unleashing a myrad of strikes at the foe.

+3 attack and damage from inspire courage. +5 attack and damage DM.
Haste is still in effect.

swift action activate belt of battle 1 charge, gain a move action. move down one square, then diagonally down-left 2 squares.

unarmed attack rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Bite attacks
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

wing (sword) attacks
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

unarmed damage rolls
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]

bite damage:
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

wing (sword) damage

[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

Starsign
2011-05-19, 06:41 AM
The flames harmed the shifter greatly and his first objective was to get out of it. Then, gladly noticing two of the elementals are gone, Rohl takes this time to recover; his breathing slowed a bit at first, then recovered as he felt like the adrenaline kicked in. Before he made another charge however, he activated his belt again, this time giving a beneficial burst of positive energy to him.

Move down twice. Used Second Wind to recover 1/4 of my HP (26 rounded) and used another charge on my healing belt to heal myself. [roll0] That's 32 total.

roscoe
2011-05-19, 05:53 PM
Cara stands caught in the flames that blinds her and she makes a decision to quickly get out of the way and blurring she takes a step west and gets her sight back. She quickly assess the situation and takes a step southwest and then goes straight south ignoring the imminent threat from the fire elemental.
As soon as she is flanking with the young man on the opposite side she stops blurring for a moment before she unleashes a barrage of attacks very similar to the one she did on the earth elemental.

Swift action activating belt of battle granting a free move action.
1 step left; 1 step left/down; 4 steps down provocing aoo.
Full round action melee attacks.

Right hand short sword (adamantine + magic) attacks:
1: [roll0]
2: [roll1]
3: [roll2]

Left hand short sword (cold iron + magic) attacks:
4: [roll3]
5: [roll4]
6: [roll5]

If anyone hits the target again Cara gets a aoo (adamantine + magic):
7: [roll6]

Damage rolls for all the attacks
1: [roll7]
2: [roll8]
3: [roll9]
4: [roll10]
5: [roll11]
6: [roll12]
7: [roll13]

bladescape
2011-05-19, 09:13 PM
Standing in the flames a moment, Miowans eyes flick up, and she rolls to the side, out of the flames. Her swords glitter as she heads straight towards her next target, Guardian and Quicksilver making cuts as they will.

Meh, these stupid Elementals make a mockery of my 15-20 Threat range.
Move two squares across, four down. Attack fire Elemental. Kira hangs back.
Guardian: [roll0]
Quicksilver: [roll1]
Damage:
Guardian: [roll2]
Quicksilver: [roll3]

Ifni
2011-05-20, 06:27 PM
Muirin smiles in relief as Bairwin's renewing magic settles over the two wounded people. "Thank you! I'm in your debt." Turning to the door, she pushes it open and peers out. Seeing the warriors gathered around the one remaining fire-creature, she takes a deep breath, refilling her lungs with crisp cool air, drawing refreshment and strength from the electric energy of the winds swirling above.

Letting out her breath in a high exultant peal of notes, she raises her hand. Lightning gathers in her palm and crackles out at the fire elemental, a thunderous boom following it an instant later.

Healing surge as a swift action, and Chambers rolled the Perform check for me in the OOC. Boo @ good fire elemental reflex saves!

Chambers
2011-05-20, 08:04 PM
Allen, Cara and Miowan glide into place like clockwork and slash the fire elemental into pieces before it can respond. It's embers fade away into sparks floating in the air as a scorchmark forms on the ground from where it was. As the Fire Archon's eyes finally clear he catches a whisper of movement behind him and turns around in time to see Krrsshh descend upon him. Even the Archon's elemental body cannot save him from the onslaught and he falls to the ground, dead. The fire that served him for legs goes out and all that's left is a smoldering torso and head. The glass shield cracks and shatters as it hits the ground, the fire sword dissipating in the air.

With small twist of her foot Nitri takes three steps forward, silently drawing her sword all the while. She lets out a shout that seems to re-energize her and as her blade arcs above her to smote the last elemental, Muirin's thunder comes down from the sky. Stray bits of lightning hit Nitri's sword, acting as a conduit though the warrior doesn't seemed harmed. The elemental shakes violently as the thunderstrike vibrates it and then it flickers as Nitri's sword slices through it.

[Start of Round 3]

The fire elemental waves one fiery appendage around and pauses for a moment before standing tall over Nitri. A great soundless wind whips around everyone and they feel themselves tugged towards the elemental, but it's easy to resist. The firestorms are not so tough, however, and the four blazing patches of fire are whisked off the ground and slam into the fire elemental, making it glow hotter and brighter than ever.

It seems to contract for a second, and then it explodes.

A shockwave runs out from it a split second before the fire touches you, rushing over your bodies and burning it in an instant. The ground is scorched and the wind rushes in after the explosion to fill the void of air. A great fireball can be seen rising above the town, slowly dissipating and fading into the wind.

The explosion blows out the few windows in the town and knocks everyone down on their back. Bairwind picks himself up off the ground from inside his shop and casts a quick glance at the sister and lion. He gives them a nod and then turns to Muirin. "Uh...is everyone okay?"

Combat's over, we're out of rounds. The elementals have gone, aside from two piles of loose rocks and two patches of scorched ground. The torso, head and arms of the Fire Archon remain, as well as his broken glass shield.

Ifni
2011-05-20, 08:30 PM
"I'm fine, thank you. The others..." Muirin looks across the square to the warriors. More than a trace of awe touches her expression, as she looks at the broken remains of the fire archon, the rubble and scorch marks where the elementals stood just moments earlier. It had been so fast. "They fought like lightning's fury, like the tempest's blast. But now the danger's past - they may be hurt, although all seem to be on their feet. I think it's safe outside now; I'll go see if they're well, or if there are injuries to treat. But first, I owe you for your very timely spell. How much should I pay?"

After handing over the money, Muirin gestures at the lion and Sister inside the shop. "Could you stay with them, perhaps? My songs can heal several at a time, so best if all the wounded are brought together - and I'm not sure of the weather. Might be best to be inside." She nods up at the clouds.

Moving out into the square, she calls to the warriors,
"That was amazing! Such bravery and skill! Are any of you badly hurt? The lion-creature and the Sister are safe in Master Bairwin's shop - if any of you need urgent aid, my spell can heal them and do a little to ease your wounds as well."

Muirin intends to give Bairwin at least a 10% tip for his cool head in an emergency, but this will depend a bit on how much the spell cost.
EDIT: Next bit is changed a little, but I'll leave the roll in here. Once she has the wounded together she intends to offer wave brooches to the two most badly wounded PCs, and pin the other two wave brooches on the Torrian and the Sister. She will then cast Insignia of Healing, restoring [roll0] HP to everyone wearing an insignia. I'll do this IC if I'm around, just wanted to get the mechanics out of the way now to facilitate things if I wasn't around to post later.

Starsign
2011-05-20, 09:35 PM
Keeping strong from the elemental's last ditch effort attack, Rohl disperses his energy weapon and puts away his small katana. The fight was short, shorter than he had though. It was a brutal fight however, the shifter had thought if he had gotten sloppy with his swordplay. He needn't say a word though, not when there was need for one. He went to see if the lion and sister were okay before going back to the other warriors. His mind had plenty of thoughts, but his focus was on the current situation, with Siala just behind.

bladescape
2011-05-20, 09:41 PM
A flicker of silver, and the two oriental swords are sheathed. Miowan slowly straightens, standing almost completely stock still, before raising her hand in what almost looks like a ritual motion. This done she opens her eyes and turns away from the battlefield.

Her walk takes her to the side of the clearing, where she reaches out her hand. The branches rustle, the leaves pushed aside by the large form of a wolf nuzzling into Miowan's outstretched hand. Reaching out to scratch it behind the ears, she whispers something to it, unaudible to the others before turning to stride back into the square, the wolf padding softly by her side.

Ifni
2011-05-21, 01:05 AM
Muirin watches the elven woman curiously as she calls the wolf to her. I wonder if she is a Woodsinger? Her silence would be uncharacteristic for one of that kindred - at least the ones Muirin knew - but perhaps she had spent a long time away from other speaking beings.

The rugged-looking older warrior, equally silent, seems even more of an enigma to her. As he approaches, clearly intending to check on the lion and the Sister, she says quietly to him (and anyone approaching with him), "They lie within, unconscious but preserved for now by Master Bairwin's spell. I'll sing a healing ring to seal their wounds, but thought I'd ask first if any of you who fought required aid as well."

If none of the PCs express a desire for healing, Muirin will head into the shop, and pin small silver wavecrest brooches to the clothes of the Sister and the Torrian. Singing a soothing melody over their unconscious forms - a sweet, lilting tune that reminds listeners of the sound of rippling water - she will cast Insignia of Healing, with the effects described in my previous post.

Chambers
2011-05-22, 09:07 AM
"Ah, don't worry lass. Just count it as returning a favor owed to the Sister." Bairwind says, stepping back as Muirin's song heals the worst of the Sister's wounds. The lion creature wakes up as well, though he's still a bit groggy. Sister Linora blinks twice and slowly gets to her feet with the help of Bairwind. "Easy, Sister. Just escaped a rough bit. But it's all over now, right?" He says, the last bit directed at Muirin.

The lion creature shakes his head and his great mane whirls around. With a low growl, what could be considered a purr for a cat his size, he sits up on his haunches and licks his wounds for a moment. Seeing the brooch pined to his tabard he turns and looks at Muirin and his eyes go wide. "You wear the symbol of Lord Silfaen. Does his house yet live after all these years?"

The weather outside has calmed somewhat without the agitating presence of the elementals, yet the overcast sky remains, heavy clouds blotting out what would be a fine afternoon turning into evening.

Starsign
2011-05-22, 10:48 AM
Rohl helps with healing the wounds of the sister and the lion. As he listened onto the conversation, he had to speak up on the subject of Lord Silfaen. His head turns to Muirin and asks, "You are royalty?" Once that topic has ended, he went up to the lion. "Torrian, I look for another member of my species. When did you last met a female of us?" He refereed "us" to the shifters; Rohl did not want to tell about his own kind if possible.

Ifni
2011-05-22, 07:11 PM
Muirin looks surprised and touched at Bairwind's generosity, and inclines her head to him in gratitude. At his question, she shakes her head slightly, her smile fading. "I don't know, in truth. The immediate threat is gone, but earlier I felt a... a chill, like a descending pall, foreboding of a rising storm. And Wolfstone was the bastion of the mountains: with its fall..." Her voice trails off, and then she forces a smile. "But for now, yes, we should be safe for at least a little space of time."

At the lion's words, Muirin starts, and stares at him. She touches the brooch pinned to her own vest almost unconsciously, eyes wide and wondering. "I am called Muirin Silfaen, yes... how do you know that name?" Her eyes search the lion-creature's face hungrily, seeking a story, a secret, an answer to a mystery. Her eyes catch again on the brooch. She has always thought of it as a cresting wave, but looking anew with eyes that have seen the mountains of the north, suddenly her perception shifts: is it a white-crested wave, or a towering snow-capped peak, surrounded by its lesser brethren?

At Rohl's question, she turns to look at him, a slight frown crossing her face. "Royalty! I wouldn't think so - and I don't know of any Lord." She looks back at the lion-creature. "But my grandmother's father was from the north, before he came south to the sea... when I was young, before my grandmother died, she used to sing his stories to me." She picks up the bannerstaff lying on the floor, and carefully unfurls the banner, holding it out to reveal the design. "This was his, passed to his daughter Kirill Silfaen, and to her daughter Seirna Silfaen, and last to me."

abadguy
2011-05-22, 09:46 PM
Krrsshh silently watches as the others make their introductions. Wanting to know more about the attackers, he goes instead to search and examine the remains of the fire creature he destroyed.

((Knowledge checks if needed Arcana, The Planes [roll0]))

roscoe
2011-05-23, 01:21 AM
Cara sheathes her weapons, uses her second wind and walks to the lioncreature.
"Hello there. My name is Cara Janssen. I was born and raised in Wolfstone. Are you absolutely sure that the town is gone? And if so, do you know of any survivors? My family was residents." Cara's face showing emotions that betray her somewhat hopeful questions, as if she knows that her family couldn't possibly be among the survivors.

bindin garoth
2011-05-23, 06:18 PM
As the battle finishes up, and the dust settles, Allens arm morphs back into its original scarred, twisted self. He pulls his sleeve back down, and listens in to the conversations going on, his eyes widening as he hears of royalty being in their presence.

He dusts off his black, ragged cape, revealing the symbol of Palor on its back. As he throws it over his shoulder, he says to the Lion-like creature " Can you tell us anything about how to get there and the enemies we face?"

Chambers
2011-05-23, 09:22 PM
The weather appears to be holding for the moment, the clouds above neither getting darker nor breaking up. All that's left on the battlefield are the passings of the elemental creatures, piles of loose rock for the earthens and scorched circles of dirt for the flames. The body of the Fire Archon lays smoldering on the ground, it's torso slowly pulsing with the residual heat of the archon's fiery heart. His eyes are vacant, his hair extinguished. Though his body is still too hot to approach, the glass shards of his broken shield are scattered away from him. The ground hissed where they fell and the edges of them still glow white hot.

All that's left of the fire archon is his humanoid upper body. The only equipment or gear to be found are the pieces of the glass shield. They're really hot now, but could be picked up later or cooled somehow.

The torrian pulls himself up to standing using the counter for a balance. At his full height he towers over everyone in the shop, his body a bi-pedal lion the size of an ogre. He bows his head to Muirin and wipes away some blood from his tabard, smoothes out his fur. "I will always recognize the House of those that wore the Silver Cloak." His brow furrows as he looks closer at Muirin, his eyes seeming to absorb every feature of her, as if memorizing her in an instant. He turns slightly to Rohl. "I have not seen your tribe for many ages, Beasthide." He says, no sense of disrespect in his voice, merely stating a fact. "However, much goes on in the world that I do not see."

Sister Linora coughs and spits up something red. Bairwin is immediately at her side, leading her towards a couch farther back in the shop. "Here, Sister, lay down for a spell." Too weak to speak, she merely nods her head and lays down on the couch.

The torrian turns to Cara. "Greetings, Ms. Janssen. I am Rowrthar, servant of Obanar who is Guardian of Argent." He says as if it were a ritual he was reciting. "I did not have time to examine Wolfstone for as soon as I arrived there I was instantly set upon by those that you slew. Before I was able to escape I saw the fortifications smashed, giants of all tribes having a gruesome revel in the town square." He pauses and looks out the windows to dark clouds. "As I fled I traveled in the spaces between the air and rain and saw that there was a force behind this coming storm. The force was saddened that this town will be destroyed when the storm comes but that is destruction was a price worth paying."

"If the storm closes the gap early this season, then perhaps these villagers lives will have been worth it." He says, not seeming to care that both Bairwin and Sister Linora can hear him discussing, calculating, and accepting their deaths while right in front of them. His eyes turn to Allen and he nods, his hands reaching towards the scrollcase around his neck. "Aye, you face the allied might of all the giants and elemental forces, if you accept this..." He pauses as he finds the scrollcase empty. "I carried a parch with words and power from my master Obanar who is Guardian of Argent. The parch would transport whoever held it and spoke aloud their desire to go there." His eyes narrow as he glances over the gear and equipment of those in front of him. "Is there one among you who has this parch?"

bindin garoth
2011-05-24, 04:00 PM
"I have it here." Allen says, and then with a bit of hindsight says "Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Allen Walker, a servant of Palor." Allen rumbles through his sack and brings out the said parch, looking over its words evermore closely.

Acting on inpulse, without really thinking about it, Allen asks while clutching his left arm " By chance, did you ever hear of a black pheonix from long ago? A pheonix with very unique powers, perhaps?" As he says this his face twist slightly, showing sadness and pain as he recalls the past.

Ifni
2011-05-25, 01:00 AM
Muirin meets Rrowthar's gaze in equal curiosity. The Silver Cloak... she must learn more of this. She can almost feel the story shaping itself around her, like a rope tugging her forward. She notes the design on the Torrian's tabard, his height, the color of his fur, the rumble of his voice, tucking the details away in memory. And that battle - such an opening! The stormclouds swirling above, the angel of elemental fire, the brilliant firestorms and the thunder of the shaking earth. She hums softly as she contemplates, words and fragments of majestic harmony dancing through her thoughts like leaves in the wind. The mention of the Beasthide piques her interest and she glances at Krsssh, taking in his appearance as well.

At Rrowthar's description of Wolfstone, though, she winces and falls silent, the horror of the imagined scene breaking into her fugue. She glances at Cara, mingled sympathy and pity and guilty relief in her eyes. She is glad, in that moment, that her family is far to the south; there are dangers enough there as well, to be sure, but they are familiar dangers, and the Windsong is fast enough to outrun most troubles. Imagine losing everyone you love in a night. She shivers, and forces back the images that rise behind her eyes, of waterspouts sweeping across a gray sea. Not the same! It was war! But the memory of exhilaration hovers hauntingly at the back of her mind - and when Rrowthar speaks so calmly of the town's destruction, that wistfulness sparks a flash of anger.

"Do you know the force that sent the storm, then?" she demands. "You'd justify deaths and destruction for a maybe, an if? If this gap must be closed, why can it not be closed without harm to Winterhaven? What is this Argent you speak of, and your master Obanar?" She pauses and takes a breath, and then another deeper breath as Allen draws out the parch. In a milder tone, she says, "May I see that, Allen Walker?"

abadguy
2011-05-25, 04:48 AM
Nothing much of interest here... thinks Krrsshh as he stands up from his investigation of the remains. His ears perk up at the name "Obanar".

Could he be ... the one I am looking for?

He strides toward the creature and asks,"Are we expecting another attack soon? Who is your master Obanar, Guardian of Argent? Could you perhaps describe him further?"

Starsign
2011-05-25, 06:46 AM
Rohl looked at the Torrian intrigued how it knew Rohl's specific tribe, yet disappointed how he too has no info. A coming storm of destruction... Rohl thought. Was this what she had sensed before her leave? Rohl was still rather unconvinced though, her words way back then still made as much sense now as I did then. "The villagers; can we evacuate them?"

roscoe
2011-05-25, 04:51 PM
Cara looks at the others in horror. "No no no NO. I am not standing idly by while yet another town falls to this scourge. I should have been there... In Wolfstones defense alongside my brothers. I will not shirk on my responsabilities now. There must be things we can do to save this town."
The last sentence is uttered with a bit of desperation and pleading in her voice.
Cara then grows silent and watches the other's reactions to her words to see if any of them are willing to stand with her and if anyone has other viewpoints to share.
Where Caras face showed pain before it shows only resolve now but a small glint in her eyes betrays her stoneface. It is evident for those that have insight into reading peoples faces that she is holding in the pain for now.

bladescape
2011-05-25, 07:15 PM
Miowan, coming in to hear the last of the Torrians statement, narrows her eyes. Her hand tensed at her side, the only signs of actual anger due to the mask which hid her features. "The first step of failure is the acceptance of defeat. You have not fallen until your lifeforce stains the ground beneath you red. To sit by, accepting death before it truely comes to you is the act of a coward." She hisses, her anger boiling up and over, with an odd tint of pain in the words. She glares for a moment longer at the Torrian before turning away and stalking to the other side of the shop, looking out the windows with her wolf sitting patiently beside her. She does not hear anymore, it seems.

Until an outburst by Cara, that is. Her eyes rotating back, evaluating her, before slowly rotating back to the window, she seems to be thinking, but you cannot truely tell with the mask to cover her face.

abadguy
2011-05-25, 11:09 PM
Krrsshh quietly suggests, "It seems we are at cross purposes here. Since there are so many of us, perhaps we could split up? I for one, would like to meet the Guardian of Argent."

Ifni
2011-05-26, 12:40 AM
Muirin nods at Cara's words, appearing to concur, but shakes her head slightly when Krsssh speaks. "Split up? I didn't know we'd joined, to be split. Perhaps introductions would fit in here. I am called Muirin, as I said before - a traveler from the south, and a singer, as you heard and saw."

Muirin will wait for the others to introduce themselves if they wish, but at the next natural break in the conversation, add, "I'd ask that none read the parch aloud until more information has been shared; against this dire alliance, it would seem unwise to go alone and unprepared. And as far as I know, there is but one parch to take as many as wish to go." She looks questioningly at Rrowthar.

bladescape
2011-05-26, 12:50 AM
"Miowan, formerly of the Itiga. I am a ForestWalker." She replies when they are asked for introductions, but does not say anymore. As if what she had said explained everything.

roscoe
2011-05-26, 12:55 AM
Cara lights up slightly when she realises that others share her view.
"I am Cara Janssen. I have training as both a scout and as a guard. I usually pick up mercenary jobs and bits of adventuring gigs... Whatever presents itself. I hail from Wolfstone as you might have guessed and as I intended to go visit that town I am currently without a purpose. I will join forces with you if you intend to bring an end to this scourge."

abadguy
2011-05-26, 02:48 AM
"Split up as, you rightly noted, there is but one scroll. Like it or not, all of us who fought earlier are involved in this, one way or another."

"Salutations of the Spirit Lion to all of you, I am Krrsshh, scion of the Warfist clan of the Lion Tribe." He took in the gathered warriors. "Everyone here looks like a warrior or adventurer of some experience. I saw you two sparring." He nodded to Miowan and Nitri. "I saw you manipulating the weather like it was a toy, your songs empowering my strikes." He nodded at Miurin. "The townspeople all fled when the elementals attacked, and yet we remained and defeated them. I doubt it is a coincidence. I myself was guided here to stop a threat foretold by the shamans of my tribe. I was almost about to return when all this happened."

Starsign
2011-05-26, 06:16 AM
Rohl takes a few steps towards the group to speak as well. "Rohl, of the Beasthide clan." His speech was more of a statement than an introduction. "My town of birth is of no significance. I seek another of my clan that had gone awry." He had paused here as if to let someone else speak first before continuing. "My search brings no leads, but as you said Warfist scion, we are all involved. It's in our best interests to stay together." He gave a nod to each of the warriors. "We should evacuate these people first if we can. A last stand lies only for those who are hopeless and without a cause."

Ifni
2011-05-27, 11:47 AM
Muirin inclines her head to Miowan, Krrsshh, and Rohl as they introduce themselves. "I am not sure evacuation is the answer - Bairwind, Sister, would such a plan even be possible? Do your folk have kin and friends in nearby lands?" She tries to speak gently, guessing that the Sister and the shopkeeper are probably still rather shocked. "As I understand the situation - there is a pact of many giant tribes with elemental forces. Wolfstone lies destroyed, and Argent under threat. A storm is set to stop them, but Winterhaven lies in its path. I wonder if song and spells might shield the town from the storm's wrath, at least for long enough." She looks to Rrowthar. "And I'd like to know who sent it, if you can shed any light on that. Do I have the story right?"

bindin garoth
2011-06-01, 06:08 AM
After handing the parch to Muirin and listening to the others, Allens steps forward and says "If there's an evacuation, how fast could we do it? I fear we probably don't have long. And I'm going to assume we're all in agreement about going to help defend Argent. Would we have time to help, or do you think that Obanar couldn't wait even that long?" He says, directing the last part towards Rowrthar.