PDA

View Full Version : Serenity: The restaurant

pendell
2011-05-09, 09:18 PM
So I just received an advertisement for a new local restaurant (http://www.restaurant.com/rdc/serenity-asian-diner-bar-vienna-asian-restaurant-rid=412259) here in the DC area. But I suppose it has a dress code: Brown coats only.

Well, their ad campaign was 100% effective in my case. I will definitely check it out.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

An Enemy Spy
2011-05-09, 11:29 PM
Brown coats? A little specific. Does a Cleveland Browns coat count?

Razgriez
2011-05-10, 06:35 AM
Did they literally rip off the Ship markings from Serenity/Firefly as their official symbol? Despite having a generic sign on the picture?

Oh boy, I think I can already hear Mr. Wheadon's Copyright Lawyers on Line 1....

Oh and to answer your question Spy, it's a reference to the TV show Firefly, and it's movie Serenity. A sort of Space Western (Strange as it sounds, it was actually pretty good) Both are references to the Ship that the main cast are the crew of. (A Firefly Class Transport ship known as "Serenity")

In the story, there was a "Unification War" fought between the Planets of the Alliance, and the Independent frontier colonies. The Independents, gained the nickname of "Browncoats" since many took to wearing Brown trench, or Duster coats.

However, the Independents lost, and some war vets (such as the Captain of the Serenity, Malcolm Reynolds) wear their old Brown coats as a sort of silent rebellion against the Alliance.

In the Real world, a Browncoat is the name, that Firefly/Serenity fans have given them selves, as a community. I believe it partly came about, as sort of rebellion against FOX for cancelling the show.

Form
2011-05-10, 07:10 AM
Did they literally rip off the Ship markings from Serenity/Firefly as their official symbol? Despite having a generic sign on the picture?

Oh boy, I think I can already hear Mr. Wheadon's Copyright Lawyers on Line 1....
ainst the Alliance.

At a first glance of the ad I don't see any references to Firefly. I'm guessing the name match is purely coincidental.

Of course that doesn't have to stop any guests from making such references. :smalltongue:

Thufir
2011-05-10, 07:29 AM
At a first glance of the ad I don't see any references to Firefly.

Er, the logo?

http://cdn.rdcimage.com/microsites/412259logo.jpg

Taken, as Razgriez said, straight from the side of the ship?

pendell
2011-05-10, 08:23 AM

Unless they actually applied for and got their permission to use the logo. TBH, it never occurred to me that someone would take such a brand without Joss' permission. It's certainly something I couldn't imagine doing myself.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Form
2011-05-10, 08:25 AM
Er, the logo?

*snip*

Taken, as Razgriez said, straight from the side of the ship?

My memory is garbage. :smallsigh:

Thes Hunter
2011-05-10, 09:33 AM
Will they serve Serenity Sake (http://www.teefury.com/archive/1046/Serenity_Sake/)?

Xuc Xac
2011-05-10, 10:49 PM
I'm 99% certain that the people who run that restaurant have no idea what "Firefly" was. They named the place "Serenity", put up their ad on that site, discovered they needed a logo for the ad, did a Google Image Search for "serenity", and said "Oh, that's nice. It even has the Chinese characters too. Use that one."

Doc Leech
2011-05-11, 09:27 AM
I live less then a mile from this place, and as near as I can tell, it has nothing at all to do with those shows/movies. Sorry to disappoint!

pendell
2011-05-11, 09:36 AM
I live less then a mile from this place, and as near as I can tell, it has nothing at all to do with those shows/movies. Sorry to disappoint!

Nuts. I plan to check it out myself this weekend and see for myself. If not this weekend, then next.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Archonic Energy
2011-05-11, 09:37 AM
Will they serve Serenity Sake (http://www.teefury.com/archive/1046/Serenity_Sake/)?

no... but they may do Mudders Milk.
i'm sure someone out there can make chocolate stout...

Flame of Anor
2011-05-12, 11:55 AM
I'm 99% certain that the people who run that restaurant have no idea what "Firefly" was. They named the place "Serenity", put up their ad on that site, discovered they needed a logo for the ad, did a Google Image Search for "serenity", and said "Oh, that's nice. It even has the Chinese characters too. Use that one."

Seems likely to me.

Razgriez
2011-05-12, 08:09 PM

Figured as much, the Ad, kinda portrayed it as your typical corner Chinese carry out food.

Trekkin
2011-05-13, 08:14 AM

But if they did it as a deliberate albeit copyright-infringing homage, I await the launch in both senses.

shadow_archmagi
2011-05-13, 03:32 PM
Sorry, I'm already the king of crazy coincidence (http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9007/img0742ao7.jpg) shops (http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6417/img0744aq5.jpg)

Now step back, or I'll bludgeon you with my crown.

EndlessWrath
2011-05-14, 12:18 AM
oh.. I'm driving up to DC.. and I'm aimin to misbehave.

Mercenary Pen
2011-05-14, 07:03 AM
oh.. I'm driving up to DC.. and I'm aimin to misbehave.

No Grenades.

SilverSheriff
2011-05-14, 11:19 AM
No Grenades.

The last time I heard that, somebody ended up in a jam where they needed grenades. :smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2011-05-14, 01:16 PM
The last time I heard that, somebody ended up in a jam where they needed grenades. :smalltongue:

Precisely, but what are the chances of having Reavers attack a restaurant in the middle of DC?

Don Julio Anejo
2011-05-14, 04:12 PM
If I lived there, I'd suggest a flashmob - everyone come in dressed in suspenders and a browncoat while carrying a (fake) revolver.. :smalltongue:

SilverSheriff
2011-05-14, 11:56 PM
Precisely, but what are the chances of having Reavers attack a restaurant in the middle of DC?

pretty likely if you don't bring any grenades.:smallbiggrin:

cattoy
2011-05-16, 02:32 AM
There was a shiny coffeehouse called Wayward in Seattle that had a Firefly theme to it. They had drinks and food offerings named for people and things in the show. You could order Mudder's Milk and fruity oaty bars.

Free WiFi, boardgames you could play, live music on the weekends and fans of various flavors dropping by for meetings...

Unfortunately, there was a fire in the building and they haven't reopened...

pendell
2011-05-16, 10:27 AM

Unfortunately, there was a fire in the building and they haven't reopened...

Presumably because a crazy girl saw the fruity oaty commercial and killed half the patrons, setting a fire in the process.

Tongue in cheek,

Brian P.

VanBuren
2011-05-16, 04:03 PM
Figured as much, the Ad, kinda portrayed it as your typical corner Chinese carry out food.

Do they deliver? If so, I wonder what happens if their delivery vans happen to run Out of Gas?

Mercenary Pen
2011-05-16, 04:07 PM
Do they deliver? If so, I wonder what happens if their delivery vans happen to run Out of Gas?

They get Bushwhacked

Flame of Anor
2011-05-16, 04:42 PM
They get Bushwhacked

That doesn't sound Safe.

Roland St. Jude
2011-05-16, 04:46 PM
That doesn't sound Safe.
Safer than a night with Our Mrs. Reynolds.

pendell
2011-05-16, 05:44 PM
Safer than a night with Our Mrs. Reynolds.

Checking it out on Mapquest, it looks to be about 7 miles up a major artery from the Vienna Metrorail (subway) station. So if you're willing to make a bus connection, a Train Job will get you there.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

VanBuren
2011-05-16, 06:34 PM
Checking it out on Mapquest, it looks to be about 7 miles up a major artery from the Vienna Metrorail (subway) station. So if you're willing to make a bus connection, a Train Job will get you there.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Oh God, what have I begat? Trust me when I say that this certainly isn't The Message I intended to send.

Giggling Ghast
2011-05-16, 06:47 PM
Oh God, what have I begat? Trust me when I say that this certainly isn't The Message I intended to send.

You've got a Heart of Gold for letting it go on for so long.

The Glyphstone
2011-05-16, 06:58 PM
On the other hand, you have managed to Trash the thread pretty well.

Roland St. Jude
2011-05-21, 10:49 PM
That's just the kind of Shindig we tend to throw in these parts.

Krade
2011-05-21, 11:06 PM
I'd quite like to se the shape if the building. Can we get an Ariel view of this restaraunt?