PDA

View Full Version : New Corpse Crafter feats

Silva Stormrage
2011-05-09, 09:20 PM
Every necromancer who wants to animate dead tends to get Corpse Crafter as a feat. Its just too awesome not to get. However, the other Corpse Crafter feats tend to be underwhelming at best. The only other feats that are semi worth getting are Destructive Retribution and Nimble bones. I am hoping to add some new feats and fix some more for those more inclined. Any feats with the same name as existing ones are replacements.

New Feats
Hardened Flesh [Corpse Crafter]
Flavor text. You can stiffen the flesh of undead you create.
Prerequisites: Corpsecrafter
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell gains a bonus to natural armor equal to 1/3 their HD.

Destructive Rebuke [Corpse Crafter]
Flavor text. Undead you create damage those attacking them.
Prerequisites: Corpsecrafter, Destructive Retribution
Benefits: Any time a creature you animate with with a necromancy spell gets attacked by a melee attacker within 5 feet the attacker suffers 1d6 negative energy damage. If the attacker is healed by negative energy damage it just ignores the damage and is not healed.

Deadly Chill [Corpsecrafter]
Flavor text. Undead you raise or create deal more damage than normal.
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell deals an additional 1d6 cold damage anytime it attacks with a melee weapon. This damage can not be resisted through cold resistance but is still blocked by cold immunity.

Deadly Plague [Corpsecrafter]
Flavor text. Undead you raise or create spread diseases and pestilence.
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell has a chance to inflict a disease with each natural attack that deals 2 strength damage and has an incubation period of instant. The target must make a fort save equal to the necromancer's caster level / 2 +10 + the necromancer's charisma modifier. This disease can only be afflicted once a round per undead and if a creature saves against it they are immune to that one undead creature's Deadly Plague for 24 hours.

Nimble Bones [Corpsecrafter]
Flavor text. Undead you raise or create are quicker and more agile.
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell has a + 2 to dexterity, a + 10 to their movement speed and a + 1 to hit and + 4 Initiative.
Special: Zombies created by a necromancer with this feat can use the full attack action as a standard action.

Weak Willed [Corpsecrafter]
Flavor text. Undead you raise or create are susceptible to your own rebuke attempts.
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell has a - 4 to turn resistance. This penalty only applies when you are the one turning or rebuking it.

Enduring Undead [Corpsecrafter]
Flavor text. Undead you raise or create are enduring.
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell has a +1 hp per HD.

Gamer Girl
2011-05-10, 12:18 AM
Hardened Flesh [Corpse Crafter]
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell gains a bonus to natural armor equal to 1/3 their HD.

Looks ok, but I worry about creating High HD undead with then big natural armor bonuses....

Destructive Rebuke [Corpse Crafter]

Benefits: Any time a creature you animate with with a necromancy spell gets attack the attack suffers 1d6 negative energy damage. If the target is healed by negative energy damage it just ignores the damage and is not healed. Also any living creature hit by this effect must make a fort save, dc equal to 10 + 1/2 the creators caster level + creators charisma modifier, or become fatigued. Multiple applications of this effect does not increase the fatigue to exhaustion.

What? 'An attack' suffers 1d6 damage? What attack? Any attack? Or did you just mean melee attacks? And why would the negative energy not heal(it's negative energy right?). And fatigued might be a bit too much. You can get a whole group fatigued in no time.

Deadly Chill [Corpsecrafter]
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell deals an additional 1d6 cold damage anytime it attacks with a melee weapon. This damage can not be resisted through cold resistance but is still blocked by cold immunity.

Undead 'cold' is not like 'ice cold', it's more 'super natural cold of unlife', not 'brrr, lets put on a sweater'. So don't make this 'cold' damage, you want more 'unlife' damage(or something).

Deadly Plague [Corpsecrafter]
Flavor text. Undead you raise or create spread diseases and pestilence.
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell has a chance to inflict a disease that deals 2 strength damage and has an incubation period of instant. The target must make a fort save equal to the necromancer's level / 2 +10 + the necromancer's charisma modifier.

Looks, OK.

Nimble Bones [Corpsecrafter]
Special: Zombies created by a necromancer with this feat are allowed to take more than one action in a round. However, they gain no other benefits from this feat.

Er, more then one action is a big vague...can they take 10 actions a round? You might want to say.

Weak Willed [Corpsecrafter]
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell has a - 4 to turn resistance. This penalty only applies when you are the one turning or rebuking it.

Um, why?

Enduring Undead [Corpsecrafter]
Benefits: Any creature you animate with a necromancy spell has a + 1 hp / hd.

+1 hp? Or is that +1 hp per HD?

DracoDei
2011-05-10, 12:43 AM
Have you looked at either version of Katarl's take on this problem?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57101
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/printthread.php?t=59582

And just for general cross-referencing, let me throw this in since I found it while looking for the other stuff:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72447

Silva Stormrage
2011-05-10, 12:49 AM
Looks ok, but I worry about creating High HD undead with then big natural armor bonuses....

Well to be fair the most common way of animating undead is through the Animate Dead spell which caps out at 20hd.

What? 'An attack' suffers 1d6 damage? What attack? Any attack? Or did you just mean melee attacks? And why would the negative energy not heal(it's negative energy right?). And fatigued might be a bit too much. You can get a whole group fatigued in no time.

Ya good point on the fatigued state I removed it. And yes thanks for the point on clarification. Any melee attack not made by a weapon with reach. The reason the negative energy doesn't heal is because with Tomb Tainted soul it would just be weird if you got an undead with fast healing somehow and had everyone just beat on it for free hp.

Undead 'cold' is not like 'ice cold', it's more 'super natural cold of unlife', not 'brrr, lets put on a sweater'. So don't make this 'cold' damage, you want more 'unlife' damage(or something).
I was just revamping the current feat with the same name that does the exact same thing. The main weakness for the feat isn't its damage but the fact that it is stopped by cold resistance 5.

Er, more then one action is a big vague...can they take 10 actions a round? You might want to say.
You are right on this too. I meant that zombies no longer have their Single Actions Only ability. Changed

Um, why? So you can rebuke creatures you create with Create Undead and Create Greater Undead easier. Situational but rebuking sucks pretty bad right now.

+1 hp? Or is that +1 hp per HD? Per HD I thought thats what 1/HD meant though, changed to be thorough though.

Thanks for your comments :smallsmile:.

@ DracoDei
The other version of Corpsecrafter is interesting but I personally dislike anything that makes animating undead MORE expensive than it already is. There is a reason why most people find a way to get animate dead as a spell like ability.

Thanks for that necromancy project though it looks really cool.

DracoDei
2011-05-10, 01:21 AM
@ DracoDei
The other version of Corpsecrafter is interesting but I personally dislike anything that makes animating undead MORE expensive than it already is. There is a reason why most people find a way to get animate dead as a spell like ability.
Noted, but you can still mine it for other facets, kinda the point of "prior art" (I keep using that term in situations like this... I do hope I am using it correctly).

Thanks for that necromancy project though it looks really cool.
You are welcome.